Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the Q&A of the press conference the reporter asked how long they thought Harley had been in there and the chief answered 2 days. Am I missing something? Or did I mishear?
I am not so sure that was the question asked when he responded 2 days. I tried listening a couple times and thought it was about how long was he missing before being reported missing. Wondering if anyone heard the question clear?

82261486_2628758647200782_7163745728760643584_n.jpg
really gives a good perspective on the size ....thanks for posting this

During the Q&A of the press conference the reporter asked how long they thought Harley had been in there and the chief answered 2 days. Am I missing something? Or did I mishear?

I also wonder if it was two days... where was he before that ?

It took about 2 days for his parents to contact police and report him missing. Police Chief believes Harley was in the chimney from the day he left his house and never made it to school -- that's the Chief's 2 days response to a reporter's question which I think was asked to clarify any theory that Harley may have been elsewhere before he attempted to enter the chimney.

ETA: Reporter did ask how long HD was missing before a missing person report was filed with PD.

Last edited:
I thought that is what I heard as well. I can totally see a kid, with kid judgement, deciding to try and slide down a chimney, and right at Christmas time no doubt....but he's been missing much longer than 2 days, so I have to wonder did I not hear the Chief correctly either??? <modsnip: Discussing someone who is not an official POI/suspect>

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't gotten the chance to read most of the replies here, but what happened is a tragic accident. He got onto the roof easily apparently. When I was a child my dad was a ham radio operator and built a very tall radio tower just like the one that was next to this house. They are sort of like metal ladders in a sense.

When I was a kid I was a tomboy. When my parents weren't home I used to get in all sorts of trouble by climbing my dad's radio tower and jumping off of it onto the roof of my old Victorian house. I used to explore the roof of the house for the fun of it not aware of how dangerous that was. When you are a kid you think you are invincible and you can get yourself into a pickle quite easy.

When I used to climb my dad's radio tower, going up I didn't bother to look down, but when I had to come down it was so much more scarier because I had to look down as I descended and then would see how high up I was and froze with fear. A few times, I waited until my parents got home to get down because of fear and one of my parents would unlock a window on an upper floor so I could avoid climbing back down the tower and get safely inside the house. After a few spankings, I stopped doing this.

Maybe Harley was exploring the roof of this abandoned house and thought it would be easy peasy to get inside the home via the chimney. He liked to do live Youtube videos and streams. There are a lot of Youtubers that go into abandoned houses and film what they find. Those type of videos get thousands upon thousands of views. Since he didn't have a working phone that day, maybe he was gaining intel to see how easy it was to get access into the abandoned home and was planning on making a future youtube video showing an abandoned house.

It took about 2 days for his parents to contact police and report him missing. Police Chief believes Harley was in the chimney from the day he left his house and never made it to school -- that's 2 days.

Dbm / already addressed by @Seattle1

The question was how long was it in between when Harley left for school and when he was reported missing by his parents. Police chief was confused by the question (presumably, because we've known the answer to this for a while now based on the time of security footage and the time parents reported) and questioned if the reporter meant minutes? Then said days? and said about two. He never said he believes Harley was in the chimney from the day he left the house and never made it to school - that wasn't the question.

ETA:

Reporter: How many days after he was last seen was he reported missing?
Chief Hickman: *struggling to hear* I'm sorry?
R: How many days after he was last seen was he reported missing?
CH: Uhhhh, how many minutes?
R: Days.
CH: Days? I would say approximately two.

Last edited:
It took about 2 days for his parents to contact police and report him missing. Police Chief believes Harley was in the chimney from the day he left his house and never made it to school -- that's 2 days.
2 days? I'd be freaking if my child was missing an hour! Am I over protective? Dang, that's not right!

As far as searching this house, one of the LE interviewed last night had said there had been a dog around the perimeter of the house, but didn't hit on anything but didn't know anything about an inside search. So LE had at the very least been aware of the house & did do at least a cursory search.

My theory is Harley was still angry at his parents & took off early with the no notion of going to school. He knew the house was unoccupied & he decided he would show them & just hole up there & maybe scout it for live streams. And it all went terribly wrong.

I bet he threw his coat down & his glasses came off during his descent.

I'm very interested in exact COD.

I hope he didn't suffer for hours, days, a week.

moo

Well, one thing I can say is I don’t think anyone expected this, stuck in a chimney. :( “Accident” / “Misadventure” was in the poll. Checking votes:

POLL - Harley Dilly Disappearance

ETA:
There were 13 votes for Accident / Misadventrue, 7.3%.

Final poll results:

1. Misadventure / Accident
    13 vote(s)
    7.3%

2. Suicide
    18 vote(s)
    10.2%

3. Runaway / In Hiding
    14 vote(s)
    7.9%

4. Foul Play be person(s) known to Harley
    91 vote(s)
    51.4%

5. Online Predator
    40 vote(s)
    22.6%

6. Stranger Abduction
    1 vote(s)
    0.6%

I thought that is what I heard as well. I can totally see a kid, with kid judgement, deciding to try and slide down a chimney, and right at Christmas time no doubt....but he's been missing much longer than 2 days, so I have to wonder did I not hear the Chief correctly either??? <modsnip: discussing someone who is not an official POI/suspect>
I am updating my previous comment, I have just listened to the presser again with corrected audio and the Chief states 2 days after the question is asked "how many days was he missing before being reported" so, I DID not hear correctly.

I thought that is what I heard as well. I can totally see a kid, with kid judgement, deciding to try and slide down a chimney, and right at Christmas time no doubt....but he's been missing much longer than 2 days, so I have to wonder did I not hear the Chief correctly either??? <modsnip: discussing someone who is not an official POI/suspect>
I am updating my previous comment, I have just listened to the presser again with corrected audio and the Chief states 2 days after the question is asked "how many days was he missing before being reported" so, I DID not hear correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member