OH - James Hutchinson, 6, abused, thrown in river, Middletown, 28 Feb 2021 *GUILTY*

The two attorneys representing these two share an office, I am sure they are "public defenders" for them- but if you Google them you will see they share an office. I don't know why but that bothers me. Jeremy Evans and David Washington - law office Hamilton, Ohio
I’m in Hamilton from time to time but can’t picture the office. I did look them up and saw Evans had some great praise from his fan base for helping them through a “rough time”. Is it wrong that I wish they were not good at what they do? I wish they were lousy attorneys. MOO JMO

That seems to be SOP these days, even when they have confessed o_O

At the hearing, I believe she claimed she was learning disabled and did not understand what the judge was asking/telling her. Though LE said she understood when she was being questioned and never made such a claim.

IMO, learning disabled people are capable of comprehending it is wrong to try and leave your children at a wildlife refuge because your boyfriend doesn't want them around. Further, running over your son, leaving the scene, going back and collecting his dead body, then dumping his body in a river - cannot be seen as actions you didn't know were wrong.
To be fair, she may actually not be able to fully comprehend the proceedings, but she 100% knew that what she did to her babies, all of them, was wrong. If she really didn’t understand that what she did was wrong, she wouldn’t have disposed of his body, she would’ve called for medical help. She knew.

Now, not being capable of understanding the Court’s proceedings is a whole different issue, and that has happened before and will keep happening, I don’t doubt she has some serious developmental and intellectual delays/issues but she absolutely knows right from wrong.

To be fair, she may actually not be able to fully comprehend the proceedings, but she 100% knew that what she did to her babies, all of them, was wrong. If she really didn’t understand that what she did was wrong, she wouldn’t have disposed of his body, she would’ve called for medical help. She knew.

Now, not being capable of understanding the Court’s proceedings is a whole different issue, and that has happened before and will keep happening, I don’t doubt she has some serious developmental and intellectual delays/issues but she absolutely knows right from wrong.
ITA! You don’t have to be a legal professional to know murdering your child is wrong....and disposing of his body implies to me she knows enough about the legal system to understand it’s harder to prosecute without a body, even with a confession....MOO

I’m in Hamilton from time to time but can’t picture the office. I did look them up and saw Evans had some great praise from his fan base for helping them through a “rough time”. Is it wrong that I wish they were not good at what they do? I wish they were lousy attorneys. JMO moo
No, it's not nice :rolleyes:, but when you think of what she did and what she deserves, it's defensible and understandable, IMO. (suppressing a mini-rant about her).
Defense attorneys are only required to assure that their client receives a fair trial. Let's hope that that is what and all they intend to do.
How could you put up a good argument that she did not do it, or it was an accident, or that she didn't mean to do it, etc.? And insanity, if that is contemplated, even temporary insanity, is a very tough one to pull off. I don't know if an insanity defense is allowed in that state.

And how long will we have to wait for trial -- every state is backed-up in trial scheduling due to Covid19, AFAIK, and I would assume Ohio is as well.
Fret no more, @Djgirl76, fret no more! :D
Time to fume, watch, and wait... Grrrrr.

Last edited:

Great post, @Lusitana! Totally agree.

That seems to be SOP these days, even when they have confessed o_O

At the hearing, I believe she claimed she was learning disabled and did not understand what the judge was asking/telling her. Though LE said she understood when she was being questioned and never made such a claim.

IMO, learning disabled people are capable of comprehending it is wrong to try and leave your children at a wildlife refuge because your boyfriend doesn't want them around. Further, running over your son, leaving the scene, going back and collecting his dead body, then dumping his body in a river - cannot be seen as actions you didn't know were wrong.
You nailed that one, as usual, @Knox!
Plus, her attorney will explain the tough stuff to her like she was a 6 year-old, like the son she once had. :mad:

No, it's not nice :rolleyes:, but when you think of what she did and what she deserves, it's defensible and understandable, IMO. (suppressing a mini-rant about her).
Defense attorneys are only required to assure that their client receives a fair trial. Let's hope that that is what and all they intend to do.
How could you put up a good argument that she did not do it, or it was an accident, or that she didn't mean to do it, etc.? And insanity, if that is contemplated, even temporary insanity, is a very tough one to pull off. I don't know if an insanity defense is allowed in that state.

And how long will we have to wait for trial -- every state is backed-up in trial scheduling due to Covid19, AFAIK, and I would assume Ohio is as well.
Fret no more, @Djgirl76, fret no more! :D
Time to fume, watch, and wait... Grrrrr.
exactly my thought. I don’t care for her to have a fair trial. What I don’t want is some rockstar attorney who can manipulate everyone to question what we know happened. She might be a victim but she isn’t THE victim. James is the Victim and we can’t help him now, but we can protect his memory with justice. I’ve seen too many parents left to “move on with life” when there was too much evidence pointing right at them.

ITA! You don’t have to be a legal professional to know murdering your child is wrong....and disposing of his body implies to me she knows enough about the legal system to understand it’s harder to prosecute without a body, even with a confession....MOO
Disposing of his body doesn’t necessarily mean that she processed that no body = hard to prosecute. It means that she knows she did something wrong and that, if she calls for help she will be in trouble.

She knows right from wrong, she knows that killing someone AND disposing of a body are crimes and that’s why she lied, until she confessed. But she might not be able to understand what is going on in Court. That’s my point. She knows what she did is wrong and will be punished for that, but the actual proceedings, the terminology, etc, she might not be able to grasp.

I’m not saying “oh, she doesn’t get it, send her home and let her be”. That’s not what I’m saying. What I’m saying is, if she can’t understand, then explain it to her, get someone to work with her and explain it to her, everyone has to understand what’s happening in court, period.

Disposing of his body doesn’t necessarily mean that she processed that no body = hard to prosecute. It means that she knows she did something wrong and that, if she calls for help she will be in trouble.

She knows right from wrong, she knows that killing someone AND disposing of a body are crimes and that’s why she lied, until she confessed. But she might not be able to understand what is going on in Court. That’s my point. She knows what she did is wrong and will be punished for that, but the actual proceedings, the terminology, etc, she might not be able to grasp.

I’m not saying “oh, she doesn’t get it, send her home and let her be”. That’s not what I’m saying. What I’m saying is, if she can’t understand, then explain it to her, get someone to work with her and explain it to her, everyone has to understand what’s happening in court, period.
Totally understand and agree. I myself might be overwhelmed by the actual legal process, if only because I’ve never been in a courtroom except for my divorce. MOO

“It has touched everyone in Middletown,” said Katie Wendeln, clinical director for youth services at Access Counseling Services in the working-class city of nearly 49,000 people. “I know that there have been people who did not have any connection to James or his family and they have brought it up in their sessions, that it's been very hard for them.”

“It’s a shame, just a shame,” said Teresa Vick, a Middletown resident who drove by James’ home recently to view the makeshift memorial. “He touched a lot of people."
Ohio communities reel from stunning child deaths

Totally agree -- and she should have a fair trial as well. I think that she can have both and still be convicted and go to prison for the rest of her life (if that's the law in Ohio). We've all seen it in many trials -- the trial is fair and the suspect is tried and convicted.
Her lawyer can answer her questions about whatever she asks -- IMO, that is common decency for an attorney's role, and certainly what is expected.

Last edited:
“We’ve been through so much in the last year with the pandemic and there’s already been so much loss and kind of pain and suffering associated with that,” said the Rev. Kevin Aldridge. Aldridge grew up in Middletown, the city where 6-year-old James Hutchinson was killed, and is a youth minister in Cincinnati, where 3-year-old Nylo Lattimore was killed.

“I think people just have a very strong reaction in terms of it overall, just being horrified,” added Aldridge, who works with young people at Allen Temple AME church.

Neighbor Lindsey Piper was recently standing in front of the home where James lived, its sidewalk and front yard transformed into a memorial of balloons, candles, toys and handwritten messages.

“It’s just crazy for this to happen next door,” she said. “Being a mother myself, and pregnant with another one, it’s hard to believe.”

“Obviously, they are very serious allegations,” said Gosney’s attorney, David Washington. “I’ve seen what’s been purported. I haven’t seen the evidence.”

“A lot of people started thinking about their own kids, their grandkids,” said Aldridge, who is also pastor of the Bethel AME Church in Bellefontaine, Ohio. “Maybe being a little bit more thankful for their children, and hug them a little bit tighter.”
Two Ohio communities reel from stunning child deaths - Wilmington News Journal

I’m in Hamilton from time to time but can’t picture the office. I did look them up and saw Evans had some great praise from his fan base for helping them through a “rough time”. Is it wrong that I wish they were not good at what they do? I wish they were lousy attorneys. MOO JMO

i feel u, but if they were bad attorneys the perps would get off on technicalities or get new trials due to insufficient representation.

I hope they find little James and Nylo so they can be layed to rest.
SBM

Officials said there's a high probability that a body has been located in the Ohio River in the area where crews are searching for missing 6-year-old boy James Hutchinson.

Six-year-old James is believed to be dead after his mother admitted to killing him and, with the help of her boyfriend, dumped his body in the Ohio River near Lawrenceburg.

Butler County Prosecutor Mike Gmoser said there is a high level of probability that a body has been located in that area, based on sonar and a cadaver dog detection.
Gmoser said a group of divers are on the scene and will be working to locate any body.

The river is still high and dangerous due to recent rain and flooding.

Prosecutor: Sonar detects possible body in Ohio River during search for missing 6-year-old James Hutchinson

I hope they find little James and Nylo so they can be layed to rest.
SBM

Officials said there's a high probability that a body has been located in the Ohio River in the area where crews are searching for missing 6-year-old boy James Hutchinson.

Six-year-old James is believed to be dead after his mother admitted to killing him and, with the help of her boyfriend, dumped his body in the Ohio River near Lawrenceburg.

Butler County Prosecutor Mike Gmoser said there is a high level of probability that a body has been located in that area, based on sonar and a cadaver dog detection.
Gmoser said a group of divers are on the scene and will be working to locate any body.

The river is still high and dangerous due to recent rain and flooding.

Prosecutor: Sonar detects possible body in Ohio River during search for missing 6-year-old James Hutchinson

Praying for whomever it is and their loved ones. James’ case has hit me harder than most. I have three red headed step-grandsons, and seeing James’ beautiful face and knowing what happened to him is unbearable.

Sonar picked up what is believed to be a body, but crews came out of the Ohio River Wednesday empty-handed.
Families hoping for closure as sonar indicates possible body in search for murdered boys

They're diving in very, very murky water with a lot of debris that always is involved in a major river from tree limbs, sunken logs, who knows what is coming down the river that they have to contend with," Butler County Prosecutor Michael Gmoser said.
6-year-old James Hutchinson not found despite sonar, cadaver dog detections along river

Mom accused of killing 6-year-old son James Hutchinson to plead insanity: Report
"According to WKRC, Gosney’s lawyer filed a motion this week for a not guilty by reason of insanity defense. The motion also argued that Gosney is not competent to stand trial.

“Defendant struggles to assist in her defense and counsel has serious concerns regarding defendant’s mental health,” the court filing states, according to the report.

The local news report appears to corroborate statements made by the Butler County prosecutor Wednesday that searchers may have hit on possible remains in or near the Ohio River. But search crews have not yet found the body of Hutchinson or 3-year-old Nylo Lattimore, another child who is presumed murdered. Lattimore has not been seen since December and police reportedly believe the suspect in his mother’s murder also killed the little boy."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FOGLIGHTINVESTIGATIONS
Back