OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 Aug 2011, found deceased in 2013 *arrest in 2023* #5

may be nitpicky, and i am no way defending certain fiancees of the deceased (i share the same belief on his involvement that 95% of folks here do) but as for her purse and keys being in her room, i think its very possible she put them there. i kept my purse in my room until about 6 months in to living with my then-fiancé, now husband, in our own place. it was just force of habit from keeping it in my room as a teenager, and then in various roommate situations. all my friends were the same. i bring it up only because of all the things that make his actions seem sketchy to me, and there are plenty, this isn't one of them.

How did she put them there? She was dead. There were no signs of a struggle in her home, and the neighbors said the lights were off and nobody appeared to be home around 9:30PM. Most women take their purse and keys with them when they go out. If she left without her purse and keys, she was with someone else who had keys to her home.

:bump:

Remember Katelyn Markham!?...

FWIW, her thread was just on Page TEN!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153055030111992

Apparently there's a new detective on the case, one with a national reputation for solving cold cases!!

Hopefully, one who is REALLY into kicking a$$ sts and doing more than just taking NAMES...maybe start with the people that saw her Friday night ;) tho its just a suggestion!

Dearest new detective - YOU got this!

:justice: for Katelyn!

None of my Fairfield friends seem to be concerned about this case. I get the feeling it's because they all think they know who killed her and that is was not a random crime of opportunity. I sure hope this new guy can get some people to talk!

Katelyn Markham’s homicide still a mystery year after remains found
August 12, 2014

Snipped...
...Investigators believe Markham had no plans to leave the townhouse that night because of what she left behind — her purse, keys and her dog, Murphy. They believe she opened the door to someone and was never seen alive again.

...KATELYN MARKHAM TIMELINE:
Aug. 13, 2011: John Carter leaves Katelyn Markham’s townhouse at Dorshire Drive
Aug. 14, 2011: Carter, Katelyn’s fiance, receives a photo text message from Markham. It is the last word anyone hears from her. Her cell phone turned off at 12:45 a.m., and Carter received the photo at 12:52 a.m. A missing persons report is filed at 7:59 p.m. that evening. Carter appears on CNN’s “Nancy Grace” twice that month.
Sept. 1, 2011: Texas Equusearch begins looking for Markham.
April 2012: Chelsea Johnson, 15, is found dead in a creek bed about a mile from the Dorshire Drive townhouse. Police say there is no connection between the two cases.
July 2012: Police clear Gurpreet Kang, 26, of any involvement in the Markham case. Kang worked in a gas station near Markham’s residence. He is charged in an unrelated Oxford rape case.
August 2012: Not long after the one-year anniversary of Markham’s disappearance, Joseph Oakley, 19, of Hamilton is found dead very near the same place Johnson was found. Police say there is no connection between any of the cases.
April 7, 2013: Skeletal remains are found in Cedar Grove, Ind.
April 10, 2013: Skeletal remains are positively identified as those of Katelyn Markham.
Aug. 13, 2013: Franklin County, Ind., Coroner Wanda Lee rules Markham’s death a homicide but no cause of death is found from the remains.
Aug. 25, 2013: A memorial service for Katelyn Markham takes place at Fairfield High School, where Markham graduated in 2008.
April 10, 2014: Additional remains believed to be those of Markham are found in the same site in Cedar Grove, Ind.

http://www.journal-news.com/news/ne...hams-homicide-still-a-mystery-year-aft/ngz2r/

Gone too soon - 3 years ago today!

:candle:

Gone but never forgotten!

May those responsible rot in hell - where they rightfully belong!

The sooner the better!

How did she put them there? She was dead. There were no signs of a struggle in her home, and the neighbors said the lights were off and nobody appeared to be home around 9:30 PM. Most women take their purse and keys with them when they go out. If she left without her purse and keys, she was with someone else who had keys to her home.
I live in a townhouse and I keep my purse upstairs when I'm home. It just seems more secure to me than leaving it downstairs in the living room where it might be visible to anyone shining their headlights through the window. I do keep my keys on hooks in my dining room, but have spare sets that I keep in my purse. I wonder if Katelyn kept her keys in her purse, and kept them upstairs when she was home.

I had been thinking that something happened to Katelyn at home and the killer carried her out, but maybe the killer talked Katelyn into leaving with him (it wouldn't be unusual if she did) and then returned her purse and keys to her home later. If Katelyn normally kept her purse and keys in the bedroom, the killer might have known that and wanted to make it look as though she'd never left. It's also possible that the killer used Katelyn's key to re-enter the townhouse after Katelyn was dead, so the killer may or may not have had a set with him.

I live in a townhouse and I keep my purse upstairs when I'm home. It just seems more secure to me than leaving it downstairs in the living room where it might be visible to anyone shining their headlights through the window. I do keep my keys on hooks in my dining room, but have spare sets that I keep in my purse. I wonder if Katelyn kept her keys in her purse, and kept them upstairs when she was home.

I had been thinking that something happened to Katelyn at home and the killer carried her out, but maybe the killer talked Katelyn into leaving with him (it wouldn't be unusual if she did) and then returned her purse and keys to her home later. If Katelyn normally kept her purse and keys in the bedroom, the killer might have known that and wanted to make it look as though she'd never left. It's also possible that the killer used Katelyn's key to re-enter the townhouse after Katelyn was dead, so the killer may or may not have had a set with him.

i tend to think that her things were left in her room because she planned to be in for the night and was either taken from the townhouse without her consent (plenty of methods of subduing her could have been used that would leave no trace with her remains being found so long after her disappearance) or that she was asked to step outside for a few minutes and taken then. reading your thoughts, i am rethinking and agree it's also possible she did leave the house with her things and someone put them back in her room.

like you reinforced, my main point is that finding her purse in her room isn't odd in and of itself since many women keep their purses in their rooms! sadly even if it was placed there after the fact to throw off suspicion, i think any dna or fingerprint evidence found on it could be explained way as circumstantial even if they probably aren't ... my husband's prints are probably all over my purse and wallet and phone...

I'm probably the only person who doesn't believe John did this to Katelyn - clearly she was the best thing that ever happened to him.

I think --- he is not smart enough to still be free --- to have stumped LE --- IF he did it, IYKWIM! No way!

I think (maybe more than ONE) someone they both knew did this to Katelyn but J isn't smart enough to figure out EXACTLY who...so he hasn't clearly pointed any fingers, or maybe he has (tip-toed) but there is nothing to support his claim.

I wish he would suddenly grow a pair. He has to have a clue!

The truth is out there, actually I think the truth is here buried in her threads (by so much 'HE did it'), but that's just :moo:

I'm probably the only person who doesn't believe John did this to Katelyn - clearly she was the best thing that ever happened to him.

I think --- he is not smart enough to still be free --- to have stumped LE --- IF he did it, IYKWIM! No way!

I think (maybe more than ONE) someone they both knew did this to Katelyn but J isn't smart enough to figure out EXACTLY who...so he hasn't clearly pointed any fingers, or maybe he has (tip-toed) but there is nothing to support his claim.

The truth is out there, actually I think the truth is here buried in her threads (by so much 'HE did it'), but that's just :moo:
No you are not the only one who doesn't think that he is responsible.
Not real sure that he knows or has a clue who is responsible.

And you could be right, maybe he really has no hunch.

But SOMEONE close to the situation MUST have a better idea - than just the usual suspect.

Imo, stupid people get away with murder for years quite often. Police can "know" all kinds of things, but if evidence and cause of death have deteriorated or cannot be identified, i.e not much they can do.

Point made Clu!

Just so frustrating!

:gaah:

Imo, stupid people get away with murder for years quite often. Police can "know" all kinds of things, but if evidence and cause of death have deteriorated or cannot be identified, i.e not much they can do.

I agree, except I see some cases where the police seem to exercise a lot more power (like in Ferguson, Missouri, this week). Instead of stopping a guy from walking in the street and arresting reporters in McDonalds while wearing full military gear - leading to whatever kind of escalation happened and is still happening after that - I wish more could be done about murderers. There is so much information that can't be put together as a whole without studying this case every day for three years straight. There is a LOT of circumstantial evidence, but the town home was not processed as a crime scene (they were dealing with a missing persons case). They didn't change the locks for three days. At Cedar Grove in April of 2013 detectives didn't recover all of Katelyn's bones; they apparently didn't extend outward from the spot where most of the remains were found and properly stake off an area or move the earth around at ground level. Small animals dragged some bones a short distance away, which is a normal and predictable occurrence. They knew they were short some bones (obviously, since there is a finite number; 206, I think?) and they didn't return a second day to keep looking. They also didn't take all of the trash away to tag as evidence. You can view Cranky's interviews with Andy Hicks and see the trash left behind in the same area. Someone paying their respects found another bone by accident a full year later, and Texas Equusearch found more after a proper dig in April of 2014 (the total hasn't been made public).

Without being able to prove where Katelyn was murdered, I think the police/prosecutor are reluctant to file charges. The murderer doesn't look very smart to me. I can't determine legal guilt or innocence over the Internet, but I know John LOOKS like he's hiding information. He is deceptive. John tried to control the flow of information for two weeks, failed miserably, and then started playing the "woe is me" card. He doesn't seem to want the person who murdered Katelyn to be arrested. He has other people serving as buffers to try and muddy the facts over time. I think an increasing number of his friends are tiring of his behavior. I believe lesser charges should be filed, like obstruction of justice. State lines were crossed in the commission of the murder; maybe authorities can avoid double jeopardy as a result. I thought up a list of 30-something ideas for taking action. Katelyn was dumped like trash in an illegal trash dump. She was hidden in Cedar Grove in a place that was hidden pretty well from passing drivers. The murderer knew the spot. John travelled from Ross, Ohio, to Batesville, Indiana, the day before Katelyn was murdered; Katelyn was supposed to be with him, but cancelled. Google-map the possible routes and take a look. Attempts to get the route actually taken went unanswered, which gives me a pretty good idea what route was taken. Katelyn has been found, which means a lot. Most people agree for obvious reasons that Katelyn knew her killer (and that includes John's family members). As we've seen, the person who killed Katelyn also needed to hide her (he DID hide her). Katelyn's phone appears to have been used to create a false alibi during a time interval when John said she was sleeping. Her phone was missing and still hasn't been found, yet her purse and keys WERE at home. [I could list many additional small points here, but for the sake of time I'll jump ahead to the conclusion.]

I think the person who killed Katelyn was someone who knew he'd been seen with her on Saturday night. That narrows the suspect list quite a bit. I think he killed her just after 10:00PM, and dumped her at Cedar Grove during a storm between 11:00PM and 11:30PM (the "last time he saw her"), then proceeded to an alibi location. You can argue John is innocent, but you can't argue he LOOKS innocent.

you know, i used to agree with you that it seems improbable that someone could really get away with murder when they are clearly not in anyway all that cunning... but i think maybe because i have been watching so much "forensic files" lately - i have been the hardest time falling asleep in my last trimester of pregnancy! - i am now convinced that plenty of stupid people get away with murder for a looooooong time because of circumstances that they have nothing to do with. i like to believe that eventually these people do get caught, but it can take a while!!

i am def all for alternate ideas though! another case i follow, everyone is so fixated on one possible version of what happened that no one can accept alternate suggestions and there is very little sleuthing going on at this point. i dont even comment there anymore.

katelyn reminds me so much of myself at her age - loser BF and all - and i want nothing more than to see her get justice!!

There is another young lady missing from the Fairfield/ Hamilton Ohio area. I'll try to find out more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is another young lady missing from the Fairfield/ Hamilton Ohio area. I'll try to find out more.

Oh no :(

Please start a thread if you find the info.

I didn't get to eat lunch today but I will drive by the place I saw the sign in the morning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back