Lori, circa 1976
  • Missing Since 02/11/1976
  • Missing From Kettering, Ohio
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 10/27/1962 (60)
  • Age14 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'0 - 5'3, 102 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A sweater, jeans, and possibly a t-shirt and a jacket.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Lori attempted suicide by slashing her wrists approximately six months prior to her 1976 disappearance and may have several scars as a result. She has freckles across her nose and a gap between her two front teeth. Her ears are pierced.

Details of Disappearance​

Lori was babysitting with a friend on February 11, 1976 in her hometown of Kettering, Ohio. Her mother dropped off a pizza for Lori, her friend and Lori's two-year-old nephew, whom they were babysitting, during the evening hours. Lori thanked her and gave no indication anything was amiss at the time.

It was the last time Lori's mother saw her daughter. Her mother returned to the residence sometime after midnight and noticed Lori was missing. Lori's friend and her nephew were asleep; when she awoke, the friend told Lori's mother that Lori had walked to a convenience store three blocks away to purchase cigarettes.

The employee at the business stated that Lori had never arrived at the store that night. She has not been seen again. Her mother searched for in the area with her car, but without success. A knapsack disappeared from the house at the same time Lori did, but her purse, Bible and private phone book were left behind.

One of Lori's friends stated Lori planned to meet a boy that night who said he would take her to California to live with her father. This boy, if he existed, has never been identified.

Lori had a history of running away from home, but before she always phoned her family every time she left to assure them she was fine. She has not contacted anyone since vanishing in 1976. Lori did not take any personal belongings with her and also left her clothing behind at her home. She left a small amount of money untouched in a savings account as well.

Her mother stated she seemed happy at the time of her disappearance and was doing well at school, where she worked as a teacher's aide and did tumbling and track.

Lori's family traveled to California in 1980, four years after she was last seen. They viewed a documentary film regarding the drug angel dust and noticed a girl employed as an extra in the movie who resembled Lori. Her family contacted the filmmakers, Dave Bell Associates, and the producers attempted to identify the young woman.

She apparently did not sign a release prior to appearing in the film and has never been identified or located. It is not known if the extra was Lori. Bell's company produced a documentary about Lori's case entitled Whatever Happened To Lori Jean Lloyd?, which was released in the United States in 1981. No solid leads were uncovered after the film aired.

Lori was mistakenly reported to have been found in October 2004. The report turned out to be false, however a more recent match seems to have been made. Her case remains open and as yet unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

• Kettering Police Department 937-296-2555

Source Information​

Lori’s dental records matched those of the Jane Doe so we know it’s her. Only issue is Lori’s body is buried in a Potters Field with 70 other bodies. They haven’t been able to get the remains to confirm with DNA but they have an identification through dental records
I know they is basically no chance it isn't her but I'd wonder why LE is holding back on an announcement... Likely due to there just being dentals and my guess is while they matched, it wasn't definitive enough but was very close. I can't think of any other reason LE would hold back on it. It can't be due to Lori's family being against it as one of her family members posted it on Facebook which is why we really know about it.

I know they is basically no chance it isn't her but I'd wonder why LE is holding back on an announcement... Likely due to there just being dentals and my guess is while they matched, it wasn't definitive enough but was very close. I can't think of any other reason LE would hold back on it. It can't be due to Lori's family being against it as one of her family members posted it on Facebook which is why we really know about it.
This happened with Linda Pagano. She went missing on September 1st 1974 in Ohio and her skeletal remains were found as a Jane Doe in February 1975. They made an identification with dental records between Linda and the Jane Doe in 2016 but didn’t announce it. Others online who knew of it announced it. DNA as we know officially confirmed the match in 2018. I think it took a while to find Linda’s burial and then extract a good sample. I expect Lori’s case is going down a similar path, I just wish they could get DNA.

A factor which often delays the official announcement of a positive identification is the need to locate and notify the immediate family or next of kin. This is not always an easy thing to do when many years have passed.

The US military, in the case of a deceased service member, requires that officials from the specific service meet personally with the family, present the evidence/information and get the family to officially sign off on and accept the identification before any public announcements are made. Each state probably has similar restrictions and guidelines.

This happened with Linda Pagano. She went missing on September 1st 1974 in Ohio and her skeletal remains were found as a Jane Doe in February 1975. They made an identification with dental records between Linda and the Jane Doe in 2016 but didn’t announce it. Others online who knew of it announced it. DNA as we know officially confirmed the match in 2018. I think it took a while to find Linda’s burial and then extract a good sample. I expect Lori’s case is going down a similar path, I just wish they could get DNA.
I do remember Linda's case. I knew she was identified and even found some older articles of her disappearance from the 70s and 80s. Seems like it's taking longer in Lori's case though as Linda's took 2 years but this has so far taken about 7 years. Hope we find some way to use DNA soon...

A factor which often delays the official announcement of a positive identification is the need to locate and notify the immediate family or next of kin. This is not always an easy thing to do when many years have passed.

The US military, in the case of a deceased service member, requires that officials from the specific service meet personally with the family, present the evidence/information and get the family to officially sign off on and accept the identification before any public announcements are made. Each state probably has similar restrictions and guidelines.
Lori’s family is well aware of the remains and identification. Her siblings and others agreed with the detectives findings on the dental records and wish to get Lori’s remains officially identified via DNA tests. Even though Lori has likely been located, we still don’t know who is responsible for her disappearance and death

This Jane Doe being her means that she was alive for awhile after her disapearence as this Jane Doe was found in April and was estimated as being only days deceased and was also found with shorts..

This Jane Doe being her means that she was alive for awhile after her disapearence as this Jane Doe was found in April and was estimated as being only days deceased and was also found with shorts..

Maybe she did leave on her own, left with someone and managed to live as a runaway for sometime until she was murdered. I’m hoping her death is still solvable as it’s been over four decades

This theory is most likely for me. This has happened many times with runaways in the past.
Most of those cases were runaways who either weren’t reported missing or has their names lost to time. I’m glad Lori’s face always managed to stay in the public eye and that her file was kept for some time. Her dental records being found recently are the sole reason we know she was located years ago.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back