Identified! OH - Pickaway Co, Hwy 56 @ Scippo Creek, UncMale 16-30, UP4765, Est YOD 1980-1991, Nov'91 - Robert A. Mullins

She was found in 1991 and they still haven't submitted those darn DNA samples.
:waitasec:

She could have been identified long ago if the MP is in a database.
I know it costs some to have the DNA tested but it's definitely worth it if they could get the victim identified and it leads to the killer being off the streets. What are they thinking??

If she was found 1991 and the estimated year of death is 1990 to 1991, how can the estimated post mortem interval be 3 years? Does it mean 3 years maximum and anything less than that?

Hey guys, long time no see. Anyway, something I wanted to add. Pickaway County has a very interesting Sheriff. Sheriff Dwight Radcliffe has been Pickaway County's sheriff going on +50 years now. He also has an interesting and checkered past when it comes to cases. A major one that has seen the most light in recent time is one of "The Circleville Writer". A case with many twists and turns in which one man lost his life and an innocent party went to prison for about 10 years. All the while Radcliff sat in the middle willing to let an innocent man stay in prison.

Scott A. Hilbert is the only male from Ohio who fits the age and timeframe parameters.

hilbert_scott.jpg

www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hilbert_scott.html

This might be a pretty good possible, as he was last seen heading for Columbus. Pickaway County is in the close vicinity of Columbus.

I just received an e-mail from Michael Geron:

Carl, Contacted Texas and the DNA does not match Scott Hilbert. Relayed message to Clermont county & Det. Blankenship

Dr. Geron

Lerch's doenet page: http://doenetwork.org/cases/1879dmoh.html

Here's an article about the murders and the murderer. http://westvirginianews.blogspot.com/2010/12/former-wv-prosecutor-recalls-killer.html

Columbus where the murder took place to Circleville, approximate area where body was found, is less than 30 miles. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...erqg3dHiDG3iV0U7BBtvA&oq=colu&mra=ls&t=m&z=10

I dunno about the time frame -- with skeletal remains that have been there for years, the chances are good that the estimate could be way off.

It's not likely, but it does seem possible.

Here's what I came up with. To use GPS coordinates in Google maps, you must convert to decimal notation.

Here's a converter:

http://www.satsig.net/degrees-minutes-seconds-calculator.htm

39.32' 40,99" N is plugged into the converter as 39 32 41
82.50' 41.00" W is plugged in as 82 50 41

The result is:
39.5447 N, 82.8447 W

39.5447 N, 82.8447 W - Google Maps

This area is in the southeastern part of PIckaway County, outside of Leistville. It isn't far from Laurelville & the Hocking Hills.

Just thought I'd post a link to a newspaper article about the contact on this case, Michael Geron, who recently retired (sort of) as Pickaway County coroner. He mentions this case and the same info presented so far in this thread.

Retired Coroner to Keep Working
http://www.circlevilletoday.com/new...cle_89a79dab-5468-5d06-b748-f0123e832129.html

...BTW, I came upon this thread after doing a search in the forums for the Circleville Letters mystery (which Charlie99909 referred to earlier as the "Circleville Writer" case). I found out about that case after watching some old "Unsolved Mysteries" episodes. Charlie 99909 is right that the case has twists and turns. It is alllllll kinds of crazy and disturbing. A separate thread should be set up for that case -- although it's so complex, and a little intimidating because, as Charlie99909 mentioned, there has been some suggestion of coverups and corruption. (Anyone willing to go down that road with me? LOL)

I also mention this case in relation to NamUs #4765 because the coroner previous to Geron -- a man who retired in 1984, after some major incidents of the C.L. craziness -- was *accused* in the Centerville Letters of having molested children (not substantiated or proven, of course, as far as I know). So, I may be barking up the wrong tree, but I wonder if there is any way a connection. Not sure how to explain what I'm suggesting, here... But the NamUs entry says that the probable year of death could be between 1980 - 1991.

The area where the victim was found isn't far from Hocking Hills and Southern Ohio. I do know that during the months when the weather is warm, there is an awful lot of motorcycle traffic during the weekends on the rural roads in Southern Ohio.

This could be a drug related murder and/or the victim may have been a member of a motorcycle gang.

The interesting part is that Namus is saying that the victim's death could have happened anytime from 1980 to 1991.

If the victim was murdered sometime during the early 1980's, it would fit the m.o. of a murderer that carbuff mentioned in an earlier post on this thread that was active in Ohio and West Virginia during the late 1970's and early 1980's.

The ruleouts on the Namus listing are Leon Moncer and (presumably before the correct sex was estabished) Diann Tatum.

NamUs lists Stanley Chandler's height as 5'4" tall and, although he was last seen in the Seattle area, for some reason one of the commenters on this article seems to think he could have ended up near Washington DC -- http://wtop.com/maryland/2015/04/cold-case-police-try-to-id-body-found-in-potomac-in-1991/

stanleychandler.jpeg

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14318/3

The skeletal issues described in the unidentified decedent reminded me of John Ashley Jr but the timing and circumstances are off --

johnashleyjr.jpg

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/3853/2

It doesn't appear there are any updates.

There is this from the medical information:

Minor bony abnormalities in sacrum; anomalous articular facet on right side with corresponding joint on right pelvic bone, bony defect in L5 vertebra. These should be evident on antemortem x-rays if any can be located. Schmorl's node disc herniations (superior and inferior) in vertebrae T8 to L1.

I looked all that up in Wikipedia and the Mayo medical website and came away un-enlightened; the abnormalities are minor and while they'd show up on x-rays, they might not have caused any symptoms or problems. They can be relatively normal, but they could indicate a young person lifting heavy weights, such as farm labor or athletics.

The mystery of skeletal remains hunters found in 1991 on a private farm lane in Pickaway County, Ohio, long remained just that: a mystery.

At first, authorities believed they were of a Native American woman, about 25 years old, because of the small stature and where they were found, but further investigation revealed the remains had been buried in the shallow grave for no more than three years, according to the Pickaway County Sheriff’s Office.

As DNA analysis and forensics advanced through the years, more bits of information came to light: In 2012, scientists at North Texas University were able to extract DNA from the bones. But all it told investigators was that the remains belonged to a man and may have had ancestors on the Indian Subcontinent.

Exactly 31 years after the remains were found, investigators determined they belonged to Robert Mullins.

Using a “multistep verification process,” investigators determined the remains belong to Robert A. Mullins, of Columbus, Ohio,” the sheriff’s office said.

Mullins’ family said he went missing sometime in 1988 or 1989 when he was 21 years old, according to Yost’s office.

Investigators have identified the person whose remains were found in a shallow grave in Ohio 31 years ago – now police are focused on determining what happened to Robert A. Mullins

"Robert’s absence was a great source of pain in their lives, especially in the life of his late mother Catherine, who never stopped looking for her son," sheriff's investigators said.

The teams met with the man's family, who offered a DNA sample for comparison, some of whom had never met him.

"Robert was a distant cousin to them, and despite being someone they had never met, each of these relatives played a key role in bringing him home to his family," the sheriff's office said.

And the case isn't solved just yet. Now that he has been identified, the sheriff's office wants to work on figuring out what happened to him.

"If anybody has any information on what Robert was doing 31 years ago, if anybody was friends with him, please get ahold of us and let us know," Strawser told USA TODAY.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back