GUILTY OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #61

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is wonderful news!

Not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, but what changed in the past week? Last Monday his atty was filing motions to exclude evidence and if I remember correctly, there was supposed to be a hearing next month.

GW4's bond hearing was last August. Jake hadn't heard about Agent Scheiderer's testimony before now? Interesting, if true.

I agree, though, that it was probably his defense attorneys who likely began working on him.

I meant that I think it was the 3 things put together that helped turn him away from a trial. Transcripts of George's Bond Hearing showing how mammoth amounts of evidence will be used against him, the huge amount of transcripts of recordings coming from his and his famiy's mouths he can't hide or explain away, and the long list of Other Acts Evidence coming from witnesses who actually lived with them, as well as from other witnesses close to Hanna.

On the 21st of September 2020, the Court ordered that the Prosecution provide a transcript of George's Bond Hearing. I think it likely that Jake was able to read the transcript in October or November - depending on how long it took for the Prosecutors to request it then make copies and then send it to the Defense.

So Jake learned how his Case is going to play out in Court and how overwhelming the evidence is when a gun savvy very knowledgeable Special Agent and a tenacious sharp Prosecutor lay out the details of your crimes in front of 12 jurors.

The Bond Hearing transcripts go into detail about several key pieces of evidence:

Ballistics including matching shell casings, a homemade suppressor in his well and a photo on his phone of his hand holding the 22 Walther Colt which is the same type of gun used in the murders, purchases with his name and address showing items to build a silencer that fit a 22, all the guns and murder kit purchases that he can't account for now, statements his brother made such as:

"If they have the gun they have the silencer"
"I bought a Captain America mask and a night scope"
"I told you to get rid of your phone"
"Your always getting us into trouble over a woman"
"Don't come down here we have company."

Shoe print evidence, Angela saying she bought shoes for him, the shoe prints are of the same type of shoe Angela bought and show new tread, screen shots of hacked Facebook private messages on family laptop, Boondock Saints and tattoos, and more....

OK, so Jake has the Holidays to mull all this over and then on January 7th his trial date is put on the Docket. Despite all this evidence he still seems to want a trial.

Then in March he gets to read all the transcripts of the audio recordings of himself and his family, 8,000 of them are of specific interest to the Case that the Prosecution had to narrow down. Direct words coming out of his and his family's mouths that cannot be explained away.

Then the Other Acts Evidence are presented and they give a searing and compelling motivation for the crimes but more than that they reveal the devastating testimony that 2 witnesses who lived with them can present before the jury, and they also indicate that there are witnesses who were close to Hanna who could testify.

Last edited:
Confused about definition of post release control? Can someone help?
This is just an educated guess, but I think it may relate to parole and/or having to register a sex offender if he is ever released from prison.
Probably a moot point as he will likely spend the rest of his life in prison.

JMO, MOO

Jake Wagner of Rhoden family homicides in Pike County pleads guilty

4/22/21

0d8a7232-dad2-4149-8142-f1276e0daeba-Wagner_Plee_40a0839.jpg

The stunning admission came on the fifth anniversary of the day that eight members of the Rhoden family were shot to death in three homes in four locations in rural Pike County. Wagner faced Pike County Common Pleas Court Judge Randy Deering as Deering read through each individual charge, he quickly admitted to each of seven counts of aggravated murder.

[..]

In perhaps the most-stunning development of the surprise plea, which took place Thursday in a hastily scheduled hearing in Pike County Common Pleas Court with nothing listed on a public schedule until the last minute, Wagner agreed to cooperate with prosecutors in the cases against his parents and older brother.

Charged along with Jake Wagner, are his father, George “Billy” Wagner III; Angela Wagner; and their other grown son, George Wagner IV. All were arrested in a coordinated take-down in various locations in November 2018. The family had moved to Alaska after the killings, but had returned to this part of the country by then and all were from the nearby Scioto County village of South Webster when arrested.

[..]

Special Prosecutor Angela Canepa shocked the courtroom yet again when she announced that Wagner has been cooperating with prosecutors for some time and that, with information he provided, investigators were finally able to recover the guns she said were used in the homicides as well as the vehicles that the family used to sneak onto the Rhoden properties, break into the homes and pull off what investigators have said were executions.

Wagner has, Canepa said, also confessed to personally killing five of the eight victims.

[..]

Pike County Prosecutor Rob Junk said the families of the victims agreed to the plea agreement.

“This has been a long time coming," Junk said. "They're happy to get some justice, especially on this particular day," he says of the Rhoden, Gilley and Manley families.

I meant that I think it was the 3 things put together that helped turn him away from a trial. Transcripts of George's Bond Hearing showing how mammoth amounts of evidence will be used against him, the huge amount of transcripts of recordings coming from his and his famiy's mouths he can't hide or explain away, and the long of list of Other Acts Evidence coming from witnesses who actually lived with them, as well as from other witnesses close to Hanna.

On the 21st of September 2020, the Court ordered that the Prosecution provide a transcript of George's Bond Hearing. I think it likely that Jake was able to read the transcript in October or November - depending on how long it took for the Prosecutors to request it then make copies and then send it to the Defense.

So Jake learned how his Case is going to play out in Court and how overwhelming the evidence is when a gun savvy very knowledgeable Special Agent and a tenacious sharp Prosecutor lay out the details of your crimes in front of 12 jurors.

The Bond Hearing transcripts go into detail about several pieces of evidence:

Ballistics including matching shell casings, a homemade suppressor in his well and a photo on his phone of his hand holding the 22 Walther Colt which is the same type of gun used in the murders, purchases with his name and address showing items to build a silencer that fit a 22, all the guns and murder kit purchases that that he can't account for now, statements his brother made such as:

Shoe print evidence, Angela saying she bought shoes for him, the shoe prints are of the same type of shoe Angela bought and show new tread, screen shots of hacked Facebook private messages on family laptop, Boondock Saints and tattoos, and more....

OK, so Jake has the Holidays to mull all this over and then on January 7th his trial date is put on the Docket. Despite all this evidence he still seems to want a trial.

Then in March he gets to read all the transcripts of the audio recordings of himself and his family, 8,000 of them are of specific interest to the Case that the Prosecution had to narrow down. Direct words coming out of his and his family's mouths that cannot be explained away.

Then the Other Acts Evidence are presented and they give a searing and compelling motivation for the crimes but more than that they reveal the devastating testimony that 2 witnesses who lived with them can present before the jury and also indicate that there are witnesses who were close to Hanna.

Thank you for the detailed run down!

I wonder if this brothers court date next week had anything to do with this? Maybe someone got wind that the brother could be doing the same with a deal and he wanted to jump first?

I meant that I think it was the 3 things put together that helped turn him away from a trial. Transcripts of George's Bond Hearing showing how mammoth amounts of evidence will be used against him, the huge amount of transcripts of recordings coming from his and his famiy's mouths he can't hide or explain away, and the long list of Other Acts Evidence coming from witnesses who actually lived with them, as well as from other witnesses close to Hanna.

The Bond Hearing transcripts go into detail about several pieces of evidence:

Ballistics including matching shell casings, a homemade suppressor in his well and a photo on his phone of his hand holding the 22 Walther Colt which is the same type of gun used in the murders, purchases with his name and address showing items to build a silencer that fit a 22, all the guns and murder kit purchases that he can't account for now, statements his brother made such as:

Then the Other Acts Evidence are presented and they give a searing and compelling motivation for the crimes but more than that they reveal the devastating testimony that 2 witnesses who lived with them can present before the jury and also indicate that there are witnesses who were close to Hanna.
Seems his public defender has given him better advice than the other accused family members!

Wagner faced more charges than the rest of his family, and is the only one of the four defendants who is represented by the state public defender's office, attorneys William Mooney and Greg Meyers.

To be clear, they've all been in custody, right? None were released on bail?

Sure, however we know The Daily Mail plays loose with the truth.
We do know that but the other articles say the same basically, many of them do, but I am not gonna find every link to every article.
I'm going to guess there were at least 2-3 of the W4 at each murder scene. I'm also guessing FR and HG were shot simultaneously by two gunmen. One on either side of their bed. The scene at Dana's was the most complicated as they had two adults and one teen to deal with, I doubt one gunman shot them all. CRsr must have had at least 2 maybe 3 of the W4 there.

I realized we can't assume one gunman killed everyone at each crime scene, it was probably a combination of gunman at each crime scene.

We know Billy, Jake and G4 had favored guns. Do we have enough autopsy information to deduce what guns(caliber bullets) were used to kill each victim?
We know from bond hearing that JW gun killed DR,HR,CRjr,FR,HG. We do not know if he is the one that shot those particular five. But he would have to have shot at least some of them if he shot five.

This is wonderful news!

Not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, but what changed in the past week? Last Monday his atty was filing motions to exclude evidence and if I remember correctly, there was supposed to be a hearing next month.

IMO, it sounds like that was part of the surprise element here and where none of the other defendants had a clue what was coming down up to the last-minute arranged hearing and announcement. Reportedly, JW has also been held in a secure location:

As the hearing began, Wagner was dressed in the blue jeans and a black long-sleeved shirt that he has been allowed to wear into court after being transferred from the Franklin County jail, where he has been held for security.

Seems his public defender has given him better advice than the other accused family members!

Wagner faced more charges than the rest of his family, and is the only one of the four defendants who is represented by the state public defender's office, attorneys William Mooney and Greg Meyers.

To be clear, they've all been in custody, right? None were released on bail?
No none have been released on bail. They didn't have enough to charge them initially. They moved to Alaska even after it happened. Then, they were arrested and haven't been released since that time.

No none have been released on bail. They didn't have enough to charge them initially. They moved to Alaska even after it happened. Then, they were arrested and haven't been released since that time.
Thank you for confirming @justtrish. I was confused when OP posted about the bail bond hearing of another one of the accused and when JW probably made his decision to turn state witness. :eek:

Thank you for confirming @justtrish. I was confused when OP posted about the bail bond hearing of another one of the accused and when JW probably made his decision to turn state witness. :eek:

Yeah for some reason he thought he could get bail! The older brother. I remember that bond hearing and thinking this guy is something to think he would get bail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304