GUILTY OH - Pike Co, 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #68

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote from news article:
The prosecutors also referred to an incident a few weeks before the murders that Local 12 had reported on previously in which family members claimed Billy Wagner and Christopher Rhoden had been in a physical fight. (BBM)

Link:
Some family members and acquaintances of the Rhoden and Wagner families have alleged that Billy Wagner and Chris Rhoden, Sr., had a confrontation several weeks before the killings and that Jake Wagner and Hanna Rhoden were involved in a bitter custody dispute over Sophia.
Clark and Angela Wagner said neither is true.
Clark specifically said Tuesday a loose custody arrangement the couple had for Sophia was being formalized by another attorney in Ohio at the time of the killings.
More:Why were properties searched in mass-killing probe? Owners say they don't know
"Jake and Hanna had worked their differences out with the use of a local attorney," he said. But that agreement was not formalized and is not entered in court.
But the news of DeWine's press release has filled the airwaves on the Kenai Peninsula and been the topic of some cafe and workplace conversations in the last week.
"Aren't those the people on the run?" asked Andy Billings, 46, of Seward, nonchalantly while he and two friends had lunch at Veronica's Cafe in Old Town Kenai. "We get a lot of that here."
He was surprised to learn that the family is not wanted for questioning. But he wasn't surprised the Wagners chose to pick up stakes in Ohio and join the other 60 percent of transplants to Alaska.
"You are basically at the end of the road," he added. "Slow internet. No traffic. And no one knows them. Their kids can go to school and no one knows them.
"Until now."
Anyone with information about the killings is asked to call the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation at 1-855-224-6446 or the Pike County Sheriff's Office at 740-947-2111. A $11,365 reward is offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the killers.
Cameron Knight contributed.

Last edited:
GW4 is the only person I have seen FW try to make contact with while in the courtroom. She has been present for some of the hearings for the other three W4 but I've not seen her make contact while in the room. Actually, I think I recall an earlier GW4 hearing after FW's charges were dismissed where it looked like she was trying to make eye contact with him (possibly even tried to tap the chair rail in front of her to get his attention?) when he came into the courtroom, but he just turned his eyes toward the floor and continued walking to his chair. Don't have a link, so consider it JMO.

I also recall--and I think it was possibly at GW4's arraignment--BW's sister speaking to one of GW4's attorneys and asking him to let GW4 know that his grandma was sending him her love (paraphrasing). It was caught on camera, don't recall exactly if it was before hearing or after.

Also, GW4 is the only one of the W4 that FW has tried to be sure she had testimony for on record via deposition in case she passed away before trial. Of course, that motion was dropped by GW4's defense team after AW's confession. After JW's confession, I also believe FW was the driving force behind GW4's team trying to get JW's proffer disallowed because JW suffered a head injury as a child and couldn't be trusted to tell the truth. Well, FW sure has dropped out of sight and kept plenty quiet since AW's confession--whether completely truthful or not--since it corroborates JW's story.

I've always been of the opinion that FW favored GW4 because she wanted him acquitted in order to take over her farm when she and her daughter are no longer able to run things. You make a good point as to her actions on GW4's behalf possibly being due to her believing he didn't kill anyone so therefore he isn't guilty. My only thought there is, AW allegedly wasn't present when the murders were committed so didn't kill anyone, either. Why didn't FW extend the same efforts on AW's behalf that she did for GW4?

All JMO
BBM
she was trying to make eye contact with him (possibly even tried to tap the chair rail in front of her to get his attention?) when he came into the courtroom, but he just turned his eyes toward the floor and continued walking to his chair.

I do remember this but also no link. I think it was cut out of the courtroom video as it was right at the beginning. I thought it was from guilt that he couldn't look her in the eye. JMO

-BW's sister speaking to one of GW4's attorneys and asking him to let GW4 know that his grandma was sending him her love (paraphrasing). It was caught on camera, don't recall exactly if it was before hearing or after.
I remember this also. I got the impression FW was trying desperately to make sure George knew she still loved him. JMO though.

I've always been of the opinion that FW favored GW4 because she wanted him acquitted in order to take over her farm when she and her daughter are no longer able to run things.

RW is still a fairly young woman and appears to be in excellent health with many good years ahead of her. Also FW has other grandchildren and maybe even other greats besides S and B so I don't think that is it. she would have plenty of descendants to take over the farm.

I think there is another reason. FW is purportedly very religious. "Lives at the foot of the cross" I think her attorney said or words to that effect. Not trying to step on any toes here, just trying to get a point out.

According to the Bible (King James version) the Ten Commandments says "Thou shalt not kill." The Bible does not mention it being a sin if you are present while someone else kills another person. So if FW takes the words of the Bible and Ten Commandments literally, and we take Jakes word's as truth that George did not kill anyone, then in FW's view, George did not commit a sin as he did not kill anyone. (assumption on my part as we do not know what FW thinks or believes at this time, we only have her attorney's word's as to how religious she is.) But if we follow this line of reasoning, then that would mean that FW knew everything well before any of them were arrested. (Once again this is a huge assumption on my part) but it does seem reasonable in view of her marked favor toward George and not Billy or Jake.

AW allegedly wasn't present when the murders were committed so didn't kill anyone, either. Why didn't FW extend the same efforts on AW's behalf that she did for GW4?

IMO This family seems very obsessed with bloodlines. Angie wasn't blood. She is a daughter-in-law, not a born Wagner and in-laws are easy pickings to place blame on rather than your own blood.

We also do not know the relationship between FW and Angie. FW may have disliked her, even prior to the murders. I would back this up with the question of why Angie was not living at FWF with Billy? Was she not welcome there so had to live with her sons? We have no way of knowing this yet, but I feel it will come out if there is a trial.

Or FW may have blamed Angie for it all seeing that it has been said in court that Angie was obsessed with raising her grandkids and having them call her "mom". FW may have found Angie's obsession strange or as DeWine said "Bizarre" also prior to the murders and knowing of that obsession placed it all at Angie's feet.

This is all just assumption on my part as we have not heard anything along these lines in court. Could be interesting if it comes out though.

JMO

Last edited:
I doubt fw and g4 situation was emotional rather a cold calculation. G4 had the best chance of the Wagner bloodline to escape prosecution. She wanted to be practical and efficient with her financial and political support. Imo she put all the eggs in the g4 basket make sure her evil legacy lived on to the next generation, who we now know we're already being groomed for life in this sadistic felonious thieving cult known as the Wagner crime family. I wish I could have been in the room when she learned of jw deal!Altho fw may have escaped prosecution its comforting to know the land mine that exploded her prideful ignorance and evil... isis remember? Lol
BBM

G4 had the best chance of the Wagner bloodline to escape prosecution.
That could be a very viable theory.

Altho fw may have escaped prosecution
She hasn't escaped prosecution yet. Her charges were dismissed without prejudice.

Dismissed without prejudice Definition | Law Insider
Dismissed without prejudice means a case has been dismissed but has not been finally decided. If a case is dismissed without prejudice it may be refiled. If a case is dismissed and the order is not specific with regard to prejudice, it is considered a dismissal without prejudice.

JMO

Some family members and acquaintances of the Rhoden and Wagner families have alleged that Billy Wagner and Chris Rhoden, Sr., had a confrontation several weeks before the killings and that Jake Wagner and Hanna Rhoden were involved in a bitter custody dispute over SW.
Clark specifically said Tuesday a loose custody arrangement the couple had for SW was being formalized by another attorney in Ohio at the time of the killings.
More:Why were properties searched in mass-killing probe? Owners say they don't know
"Jake and Hanna had worked their differences out with the use of a local attorney," he said. But that agreement was not formalized and is not entered in court.
But the news of DeWine's press release has filled the airwaves on the Kenai Peninsula and been the topic of some cafe and workplace conversations in the last week.
"Aren't those the people on the run?" asked AB, 46, of Seward, nonchalantly while he and two friends had lunch at Veronica's Cafe in Old Town Kenai. "We get a lot of that here."
He was surprised to learn that the family is not wanted for questioning. But he wasn't surprised the Wagners chose to pick up stakes in Ohio and join the other 60 percent of transplants to Alaska.
"You are basically at the end of the road," he added. "Slow internet. No traffic. And no one knows them. Their kids can go to school and no one knows them.
"Until now."
Anyone with information about the killings is asked to call the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation at 1-855-224-6446 or the Pike County Sheriff's Office at 740-947-2111. A $11,365 reward is offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the killers.
BBM
Some family members and acquaintances of the Rhoden and Wagner families have alleged that Billy Wagner and Chris Rhoden, Sr., had a confrontation several weeks before the killings and that Jake Wagner and Hanna Rhoden were involved in a bitter custody dispute over SW.

I think this could very much go to intent in George's trial with AC claiming this family was "all for one and one for all." In other words if you had a beef with one you had to fight them all. I think AC will use this as evidence in George's trial to prove he did not just "go along to protect Jake from Billy" but had actual intent to murder when he went with Jake and Billy.

I have been to the Kenai Peninsula and Veronica's Cafe in Seward AK. No truer words have been spoken. It literally is at the end of the road. Great lobster and fish though. Very fresh.

JMO

I think FW favored GW4 just because of that #4 at the end of his name. Being the 4th tells me he is the fourth generation of men with the same name. Normally given to the first born male in that generation. And in each generation the first born is normally pampered/favored and given special treatment, more so if they share the same name as their father. Because of that GW4 was propably favored by FW over any other grandchild and he could do no wrong. Including participating in murder. She was probably eying him to take over the family farm long before the murders.
You could be right. Many people do favor their firstborn grandchild, including me. lol

JMO

BBM

G4 had the best chance of the Wagner bloodline to escape prosecution.
That could be a very viable theory.

Altho fw may have escaped prosecution
She hasn't escaped prosecution yet. Her charges were dismissed without prejudice.

Dismissed without prejudice Definition | Law Insider
Dismissed without prejudice means a case has been dismissed but has not been finally decided. If a case is dismissed without prejudice it may be refiled. If a case is dismissed and the order is not specific with regard to prejudice, it is considered a dismissal without prejudice.

JMO
yes the door being open for fw to be recharged would be wonderful if it happened. especially since it would increase her financial liability quite a bit. nothing can fill the hole in their hearts the children and relatives will live with. but the money would give them a life full of new options and possibilities. also fw seems very very attached to her money. so knowing that she lost it for her cults evil deeds could be some consolation.

Thinking about FW and not in a nice way.
I’m wondering about all the kitchen table votes, etc.
If the 4 W’s voted upon everything at their own kitchen table, how did much of the pre planning purchases and after 4/22
replacement purchases end up on FW computer, if she knew nothing.
How does that happen.

Thinking about FW and not in a nice way.
I’m wondering about all the kitchen table votes, etc.
If the 4 W’s voted upon everything at their own kitchen table, how did much of the pre planning purchases and after 4/22
replacement purchases end up on FW computer, if she knew nothing.
How does that happen.
That is a very point and question.

Records show none of the victims had criminal records. Reader said some of the family was involved in two fights not reported to police before the murders.

We can add this to Billy pointing a gun on Chris in the Other Acts Evidence and Some family members and acquaintances of the Rhoden and Wagner families have alleged that Billy Wagner and Chris Rhoden, Sr., had a confrontation several weeks before the killings and that Jake Wagner and Hanna Rhoden were involved in a bitter custody dispute over SW.

In this article, towards end of article:

#7 Other Acts Evidence
1652279978416.png

Last edited:
Some family members and acquaintances of the Rhoden and Wagner families have alleged that Billy Wagner and Chris Rhoden, Sr., had a confrontation several weeks before the killings and that Jake Wagner and Hanna Rhoden were involved in a bitter custody dispute over Sophia.
Clark specifically said Tuesday a loose custody arrangement the couple had for Sophia was being formalized by another attorney in Ohio at the time of the killings.
"Aren't those the people on the run?" asked Andy Billings, 46, of Seward, nonchalantly while he and two friends had lunch at Veronica's Cafe in Old Town Kenai. "We get a lot of that here."
"Until now."
Hanna wouldn't sign papers. Daily, Jake's attorney, had tons of papers and a big part of this case is Hanna would never sign. Jake wanted Hanna to sign for him to have parental rights.

Canepa said she signed her death warrant by saying she would never sign, "they will have to kill me first."

Angela Wagner is a @#$_& liar.
I will bet she lied her a@# off over what her attorney said. I bet he didn't say a darn thing she said he said. Look who I am talking about.

Last edited:
Does GW4 have a hearing on the 16th?
Opinion. Yes, I believe the motions to suppress audio recordings and AW and JW testimony are to be heard or at least one time they were supposed to be, and the motion for jury view (field trip) are supposed to be heard. The defense also said in May 2nd hearing they will be having someone testify at the next hearing. If that happens, my opinion is that may be an ex BCI agent/Current police captain. I cannot think of what they may testify to so it may be an interesting hearing if they do.

Upon agreement of the parties, it is further ORDERED that the following motions are hereby scheduled for oral hearing on May 16, 2022, commencing at 9:00 o'clock a.m.: Defendant's Motion No. 80, entitled "DEFENDANT'S MOTION TO SUPPRESS TESTIMONY OF JAKE AND ANGELA WAGNER AND TO DISMISS THE DEATH SPECIFICATIONS" Defendant's Motion No. 81, entitled "DEFENDANT'S MOTION TO SUPPRESS AUDIO RECORDINGS"
05/06/2022Judge: DEERING, RANDY D Event: HEARING ON MOTION FOR JURY VIEW Date: 05/16/2022 Time: 01:00 PM
'The notes state 9 am but the entry states 1 pm. I believe the correct time is probably 1 pm.

At the last hearing for GW4 I thought I heard it mentioned about AW and JW testifying at a hearing. I hope someone remembers this. If so does anyone else find it odd for them to testify at a hearing before the trials begin?

At the last hearing for GW4 I thought I heard it mentioned about AW and JW testifying at a hearing. I hope someone remembers this. If so does anyone else find it odd for them to testify at a hearing before the trials begin?
I do not remember hearing that. I do remember them saying another person would testify. The defense is trying to suppress AW and JW testimony at trial I believe, I could not see Deering approving that motion. Defense did try to get JW to testify at a hearing before. Maybe someone else will remember what you are speaking of.

Getting off topic, but this was filed after the May 2nd hearing. I am thinking it could have something to do with the information for JW ex, but it could be anything. There have been several sealed envelopes in the case/s over the years for G4 and JW that I remember.

• 2018CR000155 STATE OF OHIO -vs- WAGNER, IV, GEORGE WASHINGTON
05/06/2022JOURNAL ENTRY -- THE CLERK OF COURTS SHALL HOLD THE CONTENTS OF THE ENVELOPE (1 MOTION AND 1 ENTRY) UNDER SEAL, AND THAT THE ENVELOPE SHALL NOT BE OPENED, AND THE CONTENTS OF THE ENVELOPE SHALL NOT BE DISCLOSED, EXCEPT UPON ORDER OF THIS COURT OR UPON THE ORDER OF A COURT OF JURISDICTION SUPERIOR TO THIS COURT

remember when baseball players used to step out of the box all the time for no reason game toakes forever . eventually they changed it. at what point do the motions become ludicrous and counter to justice and the law? they have a bunch of evidence with no real isisues to argue about suppression. just that its really damaging and could influence the jurys view of client blah blah blah.
... my point is this. if every lawyer appeals every piece of evidence pre trial is that an appeal or suppression? or does it just become standard procedure?expected and assumed there will be pre trial sto fight all evidence seperatly different ways, reason.
next thing ya know cases where the criminals left alot of evidence take 10 years to prosecute because theres so much to argue about at pretrial. and pretrial becomes trial part a. its crazy

I think it had to do with financial reasons. Note that Angela was dependant on her boys supporting her. She shared their bank accounts and lived in their Peterson Rd. house. I believe the Peterson Rd house was a gift to the boys from Fred. We had a discussion about this several times where the boys got the house for a dollar.

Also, any social security and welfare money coming in for the kids would have benefited Angela. There are photos of George and Jake with dyed hair helping on the farm. Angie counted on them to help run her farm. Also Jake said he worked on the family farm.

I think Billy got some money working on FWF and he may have been the one who got the small amount of disability, and he moved in with his mom to help care for his dad. Thus, this left Angela with needing financial help from her boys.

Bottom line, the parents relied too much on financial help from their sons.

This is how I see it anyway.

Imagine being middle aged and having no career or retirement saved up. Billy may have been able to look forward to an inheritance from his mom but what about Angie?

I think especially Angie was financially dependent on her sons. By helping to raise her son's children it gave her more of a guarantee of benefitting from any money, just like a wife benefits from her husband's money when she is raising his kids full time.

And don't forget, there was the possibility of Angie's grandkids getting inheritences and benefiting from Medicaid and food stamps and social security and victim aid and life insurance etc.. Special victim's funds etc...

Greed is never mentioned. Never. But I think there was greed involved in Billy and Angela wanting those children.

These are evil selfish people. Remember that.
Canepa seems to see this as a crime family, where the kids were brought up to be involved in the criminal enterprise. Maybe it devolved from there into cult-like behavior.

Canepa seems to see this as a crime family, where the kids were brought up to be involved in the criminal enterprise. Maybe it devolved from there into cult-like behavior.
That's why I call them The Wagner Crime Family.

Why stop with the little kids? Bring them up this way and they feel entitled to get what they want like the Wagner Crime Family apparently feels. Do to who ever they want whenever they want.

Thank God it stopped with this new generation.

Doesn't look happy. Good. There's more to come. George Wagner returns to court for a hearing in the Rhoden family murders

1652485113335.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members