OH - Pike Co, 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't there recorded jailhouse telephone conversations between Angie and Jake (via Rita)?

IIRC Angie would first call her mother Rita and they concocted a way to add Jake to the phone call.

JMO

There was one 3-way call mentioned that Angela had her brother set up. Angela called over to her grandmother's house where her mom lived and her brother was over there with his phone then Jake would have called in on the brother's phone so all 3 phones were together.

Subpoenas

I wonder why SA Todd Fortner's subpoena was the only one who had A.Canepa listed as Special Prosecutor when the rest of them just said Angie Canepa?

Also, Bobby Jo's had a different phone number for Junk. Weird. :confused:

EDITED TO ADD:

I found the answer to my question about phone number on those subpoenas... the number on all but BJM's is incorrect, it is for BMV in Waverly, not Junk.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
JW is the one that said it in his proffer. I did not know they were trying to make it look cartel related. They seemed to have done a bad job at that if so. I think CRsr was not the only target. I believe HR would be the main target out of all of them but others were targets also.
I think BW is ruthless, as are all of them, so to kill one of them may not be that much of a stretch. He may be trying to think of how to get rid of JW since his confession.
JW is trying to help G4 by saying those things but if he really had wanted to help him he would not have put him at the scene at all, must not have thought his confession through well enough.
if this whole massacre was about jake getting custody then why the hell would b3 kill jake?? the entire point of the killing is to obtain jakes daughter. g3 is not livving at peterson at this point, the only night his phone was there all year was the murder night. hes a hired gun to make jakes murder revenge a reality.

jake is saying these things in g4s favor because he loves g4. possibly the only person he actually cares about as he certainly did not care about sophia. he is trying to salvage g4 so that testifying does not weigh on his "conscience" any piece of info that jw supplies which has no 3rd party verification and could seemingly help g4 , g3, or angela in ANYWAY should be put under immense scrutiny.

these people lie steal and kill without a second thought. making up information on the stand or plea bargain would be nothing to them. considering the planning that went into murder and possible escape plans, these stories have been farbricated and commited to memory before any arrest happened. thats who the wagners are.and they hoping ppl on jury needing to see "an explanation or plot twist" because in the end all they are is twisted demented ppl who enjoyed murdering the rhodens and commemorated it and celebrated it. evil is ugly at its most primal level and this is the wagners.
ill always believe angela tipped the press about drugs. as far as framing cartel id say they did a very good job considering all the press since day 1 of the killings has pushed this narrative. even after they were arrested. it did not stop until jake confessed and pled guilty. dont mistake jw proffer for remorse, its just the best move he had left. and part of the upside of confessing is controlling the narrative to the benefit of aw and g4. dont forget aw only got 30 years in her deal which happened right after jakes proffer. jw basically gave aw an alibi for night of the murders which she confirms in her proffer! its very possible angela was present at the murders in person and/or killed. you can never know for sure, because any reliable narrator with first person knowledge was killed by the wags!!outside of a video and audio of the crime i will never believe a positive piece of information provided by the wagner crime family. and the jury wont either

Subpoenas

I can not access this... :( can you give me the names of who was subpoenaed & is this for GW4?

TIA! :)

So.... no updates on what is happening in court? Do they have enough jurors now? Do we go to 8/29/22 for general individual voir dire - or do we have to wait until today's hearing ends?
TIA on this one too! :)

Friday, August 19th:
*Jury - Individual Voir Dire continues (Day 10) (@ 9am ET) - OH - Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie's fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.'s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (37). Hanna Rhoden's baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos.) and a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) – for *George Washington Wagner IV (27/now 30) (Jakes’ bro) indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18), charged (11/15/18) & arraigned (11/28/18) with 8 counts aggravated murder, (plus gun specifications on each), 1 count of 1st degree conspiracy, 4 counts of 1st degree aggravated burglary, 1 count of 5th degree unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, 3 counts of 3rd degree evidence tampering, 1 count of 5th degree forgery, 1 count of 5th degree unauthorized use of computer or telecommunications, 1 count of 4th degree interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, 1 count of 5th degree obstructing justice, & 1 count of 1st degree engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek the DP. Per Jake’s plea agreement, DP is off the table if his testimony is truthful.
Trial set to begin on 8/29/22 (maybe!) with general voir dire for the jury, opening statements, evidence, etc. (Trial is scheduled for 30 days).
8/15/22 through 8/19/22
- each day beginning at 9am - individual voir dire.
8/29/22 at 9am – (maybe!) beginning of trial, including general voir dire for the jury, opening statements, evidence & so forth. The jury trial is scheduled for 30 days. 37 death qualified jurors seated as of 8/15/22.

Crime info & court hearings from 11/28/18 thru 7/27/22 including Jury Questionnaires (Day 1-3) 7/5 thru 7/7/22 & Jury Questionnaire Completion (Day 1-3) 7/12 to 7/14/22 & 8/1/22 to 8/5/22 & Jury Voir Dire (Day 1-8) 8/8 to 8/17/22 reference post #895 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-69.623311/page-45

8/18/22 Thursday, Jury Voir Dire Day 9: No info available. Jury voir dire continues on 8/19/22.
*George Washington Wagner III (47/now 51)Last pretrial hearing on 2/1/22.
*Edward Jacob “Jake” Wagner (26/now 29) – Plead guilty (4/22/21) to all charges & will be sentenced to 8 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole & will testify in the trials.
*Angela Jo Wagner (48/now 51) – 9/10/21: Plead guilty to a plea deal to Counts 9 thru 22, Counts 1-8 were dismissed. Will be sentenced to 30 years in prison with no early release & has to testify against others at trial.
*Rita Jo Newcomb (65/now 69) – Last Motions hearing on 12/2/19 entered a plea of guilty. Expected to testify in the trials.
*Fredericka Carol Wagner (76/now 80) – 6/26/19 Charges were dismissed without prejudice.

I can not access this... :( can you give me the names of who was subpoenaed & is this for GW4?

So.... no updates on what is happening in court? Do they have enough jurors now? Do we go to 8/29/22 for general individual voir dire - or do we have to wait until today's hearing ends?
Yes it is . I had posted the names a few days ago but am glad to give them to you again.
08/16/2022SUBPOENAS ISSUED TO BRETT HATFIELD; SHAUN WATSON; LT ADAM BALL; DONALD STONE; LUKE RHODEN; TIM DICKERSON; JAMES MANLEY; APRIL MANLEY; DR. KESSLER, CORONER; EMMA MORGAN; CHIEF DEPUTY CORONER, KAREN LOOMAN, DO.O; BILLY MORGAN; BOBBY JO MANLEY; DR. CATHERINE FARINET; SA ED HUNTER; SA SHANE HANSHAW; SA GEORGE STALEY; SA TODD FORTNER; LT BRYAN WHITE; SAS JOSHUA DURST; KENNETH DICK, INV; SHERIFF TRACY EVANS Attorney: JUNK, PROSECUTING ATTORNEY, ROBERT
These are two that were in courtview previously.
07/22/2022RETURN OF SERVICE OF SUBPOENA -- PATRICIA HOWARD SERVED 7/21/22
07/22/2022SERVICE OF SUBPOENA RETURN - CHARLES C GILLEY SERVED 7-21-22

if this whole massacre was about jake getting custody then why the hell would b3 kill jake?? the entire point of the killing is to obtain jakes daughter. g3 is not livving at peterson at this point, the only night his phone was there all year was the murder night. hes a hired gun to make jakes murder revenge a reality.

jake is saying these things in g4s favor because he loves g4. possibly the only person he actually cares about as he certainly did not care about sophia. he is trying to salvage g4 so that testifying does not weigh on his "conscience" any piece of info that jw supplies which has no 3rd party verification and could seemingly help g4 , g3, or angela in ANYWAY should be put under immense scrutiny.

these people lie steal and kill without a second thought. making up information on the stand or plea bargain would be nothing to them. considering the planning that went into murder and possible escape plans, these stories have been farbricated and commited to memory before any arrest happened. thats who the wagners are.and they hoping ppl on jury needing to see "an explanation or plot twist" because in the end all they are is twisted demented ppl who enjoyed murdering the rhodens and commemorated it and celebrated it. evil is ugly at its most primal level and this is the wagners.
ill always believe angela tipped the press about drugs. as far as framing cartel id say they did a very good job considering all the press since day 1 of the killings has pushed this narrative. even after they were arrested. it did not stop until jake confessed and pled guilty. dont mistake jw proffer for remorse, its just the best move he had left. and part of the upside of confessing is controlling the narrative to the benefit of aw and g4. dont forget aw only got 30 years in her deal which happened right after jakes proffer. jw basically gave aw an alibi for night of the murders which she confirms in her proffer! its very possible angela was present at the murders in person and/or killed. you can never know for sure, because any reliable narrator with first person knowledge was killed by the wags!!outside of a video and audio of the crime i will never believe a positive piece of information provided by the wagner crime family. and the jury wont either
Why the hell JW may say that seems simple to me. It would be because In BW mind, AW would have the child regardless if JW was alive or dead and BW may want it to look like he is not involved, is why he may think about killing JW, if that were true. It also helps G4 in JW mind.

Once accurate information started coming out, the cartel narrative was not pushed any longer by reliable sources to my knowledge. In my opinion it was lack of information that was fueling that scenario/rumor as it fueled many others. Some may have pushed it in their own minds and still do. It was when things were not known about the case, how the murders took place etc. that the cartel was being pushed. There are people that continued to push rumors like they still continue to push other rumors that are probably are not true.

If you are saying that the state gave AW her good deal because of JW, then that would would mean the state believed him also, and/or could not prove oherwise.
In that case he may think he can do the same for G4 in trial. He did have all the disovery after all, before he confessed.

I wonder why SA Todd Fortner's subpoena was the only one who had A.Canepa listed as Special Prosecutor when the rest of them just said Angie Canepa?

Also, Bobby Jo's had a different phone number for Junk. Weird. :confused:

EDITED TO ADD:

I found the answer to my question about phone number on those subpoenas... the number on all but BJM's is incorrect, it is for BMV in Waverly, not Junk.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I think its just the writing style of the person. If you notice the A in August on each, sometimes it's a Capital Letter A and then Sometimes its a Cursive Capital letter A.
If you search the phone number listed for BJM to call and the others to call they are both the Pike County prosecuting Investigator, I think its just where someone put a different number that is still a correct number. There is a mixture of which deputy signed off on each one. The one for D. Stone even has 2021 instead of 2022 on it.
I think it's just some human thing going on. ha
I guess there are at least 70ish more subpoenas to be issued, give or take. Last I heard in a hearing I think they said it was narrowed down to about 100 witnesses. That could have increased or decreased by now.

I feel or hope that a reporter will check in on the court proceedings today since it is the last day of questioning, and report.

Yes it is . I had posted the names a few days ago but am glad to give them to you again.
08/16/2022SUBPOENAS ISSUED TO BRETT HATFIELD; SHAUN WATSON; LT ADAM BALL; DONALD STONE; LUKE RHODEN; TIM DICKERSON; JAMES MANLEY; APRIL MANLEY; DR. KESSLER, CORONER; EMMA MORGAN; CHIEF DEPUTY CORONER, KAREN LOOMAN, DO.O; BILLY MORGAN; BOBBY JO MANLEY; DR. CATHERINE FARINET; SA ED HUNTER; SA SHANE HANSHAW; SA GEORGE STALEY; SA TODD FORTNER; LT BRYAN WHITE; SAS JOSHUA DURST; KENNETH DICK, INV; SHERIFF TRACY EVANS Attorney: JUNK, PROSECUTING ATTORNEY, ROBERT
These are two that were in courtview previously.
07/22/2022RETURN OF SERVICE OF SUBPOENA -- PATRICIA HOWARD SERVED 7/21/22
07/22/2022SERVICE OF SUBPOENA RETURN - CHARLES C GILLEY SERVED 7-21-22

Thank you - I DO remember these names! :) Old age & memories... LOL!

I feel or hope that a reporter will check in on the court proceedings today since it is the last day of questioning, and report.

I hope so - or at least the court site will be updated on what's going on!

We may not get a witness list before the trial but we will know a lot of witnesses from the subpoenas.
07/21/2022SUBPOENA ISSUED TO CHARLES CRAVEN GILLEY
07/21/2022SUBPOENA ISSUED TO PATRICIA HOWARD
sorry, I still don't see Charlie Reader?? just wondering

I think the doors to the homes would be locked the night of the murders. Remember BW turned up a week or so before and it ended up with a fight. BW threatened to come back I believe. JW and HR lived with FR for a while. JW visited Dana's new home and would have had opportunity to get a key maybe. He also might have known where CR Snr had a spare key.

sorry, I still don't see Charlie Reader?? just wondering
No one knows if he will be called to testify.

I wonder if the original BCI lead investigater will be called to testify? Scheiderer took over from him.

Rhoden murder case supervisor resigns before demotion for "unprofessionalism"

The allegations of misconduct by Trout first came to light over the summer when attorneys for two of the Wagners charged in the homicides mentioned during hearings that Trout was placed on leave.

The attorneys wanted to know whether Trout testified in front of the grand jury in the Rhoden case. Canepa said during those hearings that Trout did not testify in front of the grand jury.

According to a summary of the investigation obtained through an open records request, Trout told SA Scheiderer in May 2017 after important evidence was obtained in the Rhoden case, "I solved the case but you are getting all the credit.”

However, Scheiderer’s unit members credited him for the success of warrant. Three properties owned by the Wagner family were searched in May 2017.

Last edited:
I think the doors to the homes would be locked the night of the murders. Remember BW turned up a week or so before and it ended up with a fight. BW threatened to come back I believe. JW and HR lived with FR for a while. JW visited Dana's new home and would have had opportunity to get a key maybe. He also might have known where CR Snr had a spare key.
You could be right on the keys, I do look foward to finding out how they got in the homes.

They would not need a spare for CRsr, the fake drug deal got them access to CRsr. We know that now, but had not known that. If CRsr had keys to FR and DR they may have taken his keys to get in those homes when they killed CRsr.

I have thoutht CRsr was killed before FR, but ater finding out they were going to try to shoot CRsr outside, It makes me wonder if FR and HG were killed before him.

If there was turmoil leading right up to the murders, CRsr apparently agreed to meet with BW and discuss business with him. That was surprising to me.

Last edited:

To get into Chris's house Billy faked a drug deal and Chris was expecting him. So I think Chris opened the door and they needed him to open the door.

I have always thought that also - that JW and HR lived part time in the trailer that Frankie and HG lived in because Dana's new house hadn't been bought yet.

So Jake likely had the key and would know how to get in undetected even without a key. He would know everything about the doors, windows and layout.

As for Dana's, I agree, I do think he could have been sneaky and made a copy of the house key. We know he was in contact with the Rhodens to do the visitation.

I think its just the writing style of the person. If you notice the A in August on each, sometimes it's a Capital Letter A and then Sometimes its a Cursive Capital letter A.
If you search the phone number listed for BJM to call and the others to call they are both the Pike County prosecuting Investigator, I think its just where someone put a different number that is still a correct number. There is a mixture of which deputy signed off on each one. The one for D. Stone even has 2021 instead of 2022 on it.
I think it's just some human thing going on. ha
I guess there are at least 70ish more subpoenas to be issued, give or take. Last I heard in a hearing I think they said it was narrowed down to about 100 witnesses. That could have increased or decreased by now.

Did you just go by the numbers, or did you search by county offices? Nevermind, it's not that important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500