OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
-No other crimes scene or victims have been identified.
-Interviewed over 30 persons and continuing interviewing and investigating tips
-Work at the crime scenes will go on throughout the night and should be done by tomorrow
-Encourage people to call Sheriff's office even if it is something they heard on the street
-Anticipate interviewing others
-Do not know if they are dealing with 1,2,3 or 4 people
-Rhoden family targeted
-Does not believe community is in danger
-Won't confirm POI but several people are being interviewed

"i would not use the term "person of interest" to describe anyone being interviewed"

Possibly another case of ignored mental health issues.Could have used a knife or other object,just saying.

I am not sure the suspect will have mental health issues. Most murderers aren't deemed mentally insane. Of course they could have some type of personality disorder. I feel the motive will be totally nonsensical as the murders themselves. We are seeing so many families wiped out by another family member and the motives are mind boggling as they were so insignificant and trivial.

Just this week a woman was found guilty and sentenced to LWOP for killing her own parents and other family members including small children. She did it because she was angry that her family wanted her to stand on her own and quit mooching off of them. She was in her 30s but she expected them to take care of her and when they finally said 'no more' she was the mastermind behind the plot to murder them all and her trashy boyfriend helped her do the murders. Iirc, she murdered five.

I have a feeling the one who has done this may be a teenager/s who got ticked off about something. We are seeing teens murder family members because their x-box was taken away, or they didn't get to date who they wanted to date or they didn't want to do chores or they were told the forbidden word 'no' about something None of those murderers were mentally insane. They were just plain evil narcissists.

Now drugs may be involved somehow as many of these cases do have drugs involved in them but that is just speculation on my part and I have nothing to substantiate it.

I hope the POI/s they have in custody is the one or ones who have done this unspeakable crime so the community can sleep better tonight knowing they have been found and are off the streets.

I absolutely do agree with you that it could have been any weapon and all of these victims would be just as dead. Heinz Jr was capable of wiping out 8 of his family members by bludgeoning them to death as they slept.

It isn't the weapon used that is to blame. It is and always will be the individual mindset of each and every person who decides to murder no matter what method they use to carry it out. The largest mass murder in our country's history was done by using airplanes as weapons and of course we have cases like in OK where bombs were used to kill over 160 people and injured many many more. And Richard Speck was able to murder 8 by using a knife as his weapon of choice.

If it isn't a family member then the motive will certainly be interesting to learn but no matter what no one deserves to be murdered like these eight victims were.

9:00 Presser:

Sheriff:
Thoughts and prayers with citizens and family

still actively working crime scenes
not found or identified anymore scenes or victims

(((he looks exhausted)))
attn general spoken. death notifications are now being made.
appreciates public's response with information
all tips have been checked out that we have

appreciate everyone involved. thoughts and prayers to everyone

AG office have interviewed 30 persons and continue to check out tips and

AG:
met with families in church about 100 people
work at crime scene will continue thru night.
don't anticipate it will be finished until mid morning tomorrow
received briefing from each scene
encourage people to call sheriff's office for tips. Even if they aren't sure if it matters what they heard, they'd like to hear it.

30 people interviewed. More will be interviewed. Ongoing process. Continue until it's solved.

threat isn't to community.
there was a family that was targeted. talked with the family and asked them to be cautious. sheriff will work with them in regards to protection.

Person of interenst - wouldn't use that term.
not anticipate getting back to us until noon tomorrow.

Whether it's a live presser or an issued statement, will depend upon what occurs tomorrow.

Sherriff:
Take any precautionary measures that you feel you need to take. Units are coming in for additional staffing. Rhoden family is primary concern.

Keeping Rhoden family informed.

continuing to take statments from family members

AG:
impressed with sheriff and his dept.
true professionals and doing fantastic jobs

We have a lot of people dedicated to finding the murderer or murderers who did this terrible thing.
Governor was concerned. AG gave him a briefing.
Shocked that there were [7] people killed.

No indication that any of the individuals killed themselves. We have murderer or murderers who have done this.

Sheriff:
Overwhelming amt of tips.
Officers will get breaks when they need it and will utilize other agencies that will step in and help out.

can't say about motive at this time.

FBI has reached out and are available if needed. They are on standby, but not directly involved at this time.

Never known a shooting with 8 victims. Never imagined such devasataion and lost so many people to a murder like this.

Investigative teams being very methodical and evrything has been folowed, collectively working together and has been a huge success so far. Very impressed with all the agents so far. They are taking the time they need to do it right.

AG:
investigations like this can take a while.
We are methodical about it.
We are going to be here (BCI) and continue to work with the sheriff's office until we know who did it.

Hope that doesn't sound too disjointed - I was trying to type it all out. :)

I'm always taken aback when the people doing the presser and laughing and goofing around. It's a serious situation - I wish they'd be a little less lighthearted. All you can hear is people in the background laughing and chatting. Just seems disrespectful.

Or maybe I'm just grumpy.

I just said the EXACT same thing to my boyfriend before the presser started.

I'm not following the presser but I've seen that happen before. The answer is that for people who work in fields dealing with tragedy constantly (LE and crime reporters), gallows humor forms as a coping mechanism. I assume this happens in other fields such as military personnel. I don't think they expect people to be watching before the event actually starts.

I'm not following the presser but I've seen that happen before. The answer is that for people who work in fields dealing with tragedy constantly (LE and crime reporters), gallows humor forms as a coping mechanism. I assume this happens in other fields such as military personnel. I don't think they expect people to be watching before the event actually starts.

Ha! They haven't met WSers yet. Lol.

I can see how they'd try to distant themselves from the tragedy. I'm sure it helps them to feel they are remaining unbiased and professional, But the truth is, they aren't acting professionally when in the public eye. They've got to know that they are live, even during mic checks and white balance set ups.

I'm always taken aback when the people doing the presser and laughing and goofing around. It's a serious situation - I wish they'd be a little less lighthearted. All you can hear is people in the background laughing and chatting. Just seems disrespectful.

Or maybe I'm just grumpy.

I think it's a coping mechanism. :)

Seeing all the happy families smiling with their children. This is heartbreaking. Now all gone. for what?

Exactly. For. What.

I can't imagine anything in this world that could even come within a nanometer of justifying killing off a child's entire family. Absolutely heartbreaking. I'm looking forward to the day when justice is served. I have faith that the Sheriff's dept. and Attorney General's office, and FBI if it comes down to it, will resolve this. It seems unheard of that someone could go through 4 crime scenes and not leave traceable evidence. They have a huge job in front of them, but I'm confident the killer was stupid and will be brought to justice.

I'm always taken aback when the people doing the presser and laughing and goofing around. It's a serious situation - I wish they'd be a little less lighthearted. All you can hear is people in the background laughing and chatting. Just seems disrespectful."

It's really a coping mechanism. Journalist that cover the cops beats are salty. I have been in their shoes many many times. It's hard to get through some of these things without that few minutes of light hearted banter. Livestreams are showing those moments now. They always have existed. Your just seeing them now.

It's really a coping mechanism. Journalist that cover the cops beats are salty. I have been in their shoes many many times. It's hard to get through some of these things without that few minutes of light hearted banter. Livestreams are showing those moments now. They always have existed. Your just seeing them now.

Yep, news background here too, I know exactly what you mean.

And the other side of the coin is that those of them who don't become hardened as a defense mechanism just go home and drink heavily. :/

And no, I don't think they're consciously aware of people like WSer's tuning in before the event has actually started, or at the least I am sure no disrespect is intended.

If they don't laugh they have to spend all their time crying. As someone who worked in a newsroom's photo archives during 9/11, it's really hard to explain how the unrelenting exposure to this stuff will wear you down, especially when it's not a hobby you can just shut down when it gets rough.

The boys are in photos with Black and Tan Coonhounds. I saw the kennels on the news birds footage. Have to imagine that an outside intruder would have set off the dogs.

How far from the house are the kennels? We have hounds too and they are loud. Even if they know the person, they are a great alarm system whenever someone comes on our property.

It's possible they've gotten used to the hounds barking and didn't notice it.

I can't help but feel that surviving family members may be thinking: There but for the grace of God go I.

Ive been following this case on and off all day and you know, on the surface it looks like a murder-suicide or some sort of family feud that blew up but what if there is something else going on here? What if it's not a family issue? The Ohio State Bureau of Investigation presence is to be expected since (according to news reports) this took place in a relatively rural area and local LE agencies are likely to be quite small and not that well prepared to handle an investigation of this magnitude but what about the FBI? Why are they involved?

I know this sounds silly and I feel silly for even saying it but I think that if this isent a family thing then I think drugs are probably involved.

Hey everyone, new here. This is a horrible horrible thing to have happened.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member