OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping they'll be going over all the evidence in preparation for a grand jury.

No, he said they are still working on that.

Yeah, I made the comment based on the only quote that was quoted from the article prior to clicking on it to read. Hence why I quoted the quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. The grow op has been confirmed. *advertiser censored* fighting has not. I live in a large city in Florida and no nothing about chickens. Is there any other reason to have the roosters in that set up? If it was in fact for illegal use it seems pretty out in the open to me.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

It isn't illegal to raise gamecocks. So you can have them right out in the open and no one can say a word. Unless LE is called over cockfighting. They can't just drive by and pull in for no good reason.

People don't generally keep roosters as pets, especially not that many. Most people that have chickens will have laying hens or hens and one or two roosters, depending on the amount of space and chickens you have and whether or not you want to have babies. But they are not kept in individual cages like that. Roosters being raised for other specific activities are the only ones housed in that sort of arrangement.

They may have been roosters "consistent with" *advertiser censored* fighting. That doesn't guarantee that they were the ones fighting them. They could have been raising and selling them. Just because FR likes *advertiser censored* fighting pages doesn't mean he was the one actually doing it. JMO. Nothing has definitely convinced me that the Rhoden's were in some *advertiser censored* fighting gambling debt or were out fighting them themselves. Not saying you are saying that, but it's been said.

The reason the roosters are housed the way they are is because they are very territorial will fight each other if they cross paths. Other roosters will too but not with the ferocity of Game *advertiser censored*. They way they are housed is not a sign of *advertiser censored* fighting. A lot of people raise fancy chickens like silkies or fluffies, for a hobby, that are more for looks than anything. The only reason *advertiser censored* fighting came up is because these roosters are Game *advertiser censored*.

And because LE mentioned the word "cockfighting".

I always found it interesting that you can organize fights between people and charge admission, but face jail time for doing the same with animals.

But people can make the decision to fight, where the animals are not given an option out.

Looking at the bigger picture, Sheriff Henderson resigned with 2 wk notice a week after rogue deputy was indicted... it seems to me that Sheriff Reader inherited quite a mess.

Looking at the bigger picture, Sheriff Henderson resigned with 2 wk notice a week after rogue deputy was indicted... it seems to me that Sheriff Reader inherited quite a mess.

Aside from the fact that we know Sheriff Reader likes to take some drags off his Marlboro Lights, I haven't really read much bad about him. I believe the department has had some corruption, but I believe that involves some people no longer there. JMO. And I'm not saying all the corrupt are gone, that will probably never happen. But maybe the ringleaders in it all.

Aside from the fact that we know Sheriff Reader likes to take some drags off his Marlboro Lights, I haven't really read much bad about him. I believe the department has had some corruption, but I believe that involves some people no longer there. JMO. And I'm not saying all the corrupt are gone, that will probably never happen. But maybe the ringleaders in it all.

I agree with you completely... I just find it interesting the SH resigned so quickly after JJ was arrested and it was determined that DA Junk gave him guns after he was put on leave for shooting Rooker. I do wonder what SR has learned that makes him constantly rub his wrist with his thumb in the last presser...

I know a little about cockfighting. One of my husband's former employers, who I'll refer to as the Boss, passed on several years ago and was active in this "hobby." The roosters were kept on short tethers with small tent-like shelters for each bird. Each bird also had water at each shelter via an underground system similar to a sprinkler system which supplied fresh water constantly. The birds were fed twice daily at their stations. Until they were fighting for their lives, they were royally maintained.

People were hired specifically for the purpose of caring for the birds, and exercising them on special equipment to build up their stamina and leg muscles for fighting. Various substances - some legal, some not, depending on their usage, such as steroids - were utilized as well to increase aggressiveness and strength in the birds. Sharp blades called "gaffs" were attached to the *advertiser censored*'s legs for actual fighting. The rooster's combs and wattles were trimmed close to their heads when young to keep them from getting in the way and bleeding profusely during fights. Many gamecock breeds have small wattles and combs to start with, to avoid that problem via selective breeding.

There was an underground system, too, for the actual fights. At the time, cockfighting was legal only in Louisiana, but that didn't prevent fights from occurring in many rural locations in the South. Word would be passed via phone and by mouth - never on the internet - and fights would occur with significant amounts of money bet on the birds. The Boss would never actually appear at fights, he'd send his workers, most of whom already had felony convictions and didn't have a problem with the risk of arrest. The Boss would also pay these workers well to handle his bets. Also, if his roosters did well, he could count on future sales of the progeny of his superior birds.

It wasn't then, and I don't think it is now, illegal to raise and train the birds, just to fight and wager on them. I still see bird tents in quite a few fields in the rural areas of Florida, Alabama and Georgia. While it's not inconceivable that someone is raising chickens for show purposes, chicken shows are far from being as lucrative as fighting them. I don't know if this was what was happening in this case. I do know it certainly looks like it.

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/s.../?hootPostID=1d374cd32eed68380db7bdd70ec529ff

"Reader allowed talk show host Jerry Springer to sit inside the vehicle and take a photo, which he then posted to Facebook."

Chillicothe Gazette ‏@ChilliGaz 4h4 hours ago
Attorney General Mike DeWine let it slip that he plans for run for governor in 2018.

I just hope all the new found celebrity status and politics don't interfere with finding out what happened to the Rhodens.

They may have been roosters "consistent with" *advertiser censored* fighting. That doesn't guarantee that they were the ones fighting them. They could have been raising and selling them. Just because FR likes *advertiser censored* fighting pages doesn't mean he was the one actually doing it. JMO. Nothing has definitely convinced me that the Rhoden's were in some *advertiser censored* fighting gambling debt or were out fighting them themselves. Not saying you are saying that, but it's been said.

Supplying contestants to a *advertiser censored* fight constitutes participating in cockfighting, IMO. No one has that many roosters (and no hens) without being involved in fighting them. A full fledged chicken and egg operation needs relatively few roosters. Roosters get around.

I'm fully satisfied the Rhodens were involved in cockfighting but have seen no evidence it lead to their murders. I also doubt inheritance is relevant. The cars, weed, and dogs are more likely reasons. I still maintain the motive was based on a love interest or child custody.

Ray, the person you have pegged as the killer is obvious. I get the feeling that you suspected he was the killer, then created the "profile of the killer" around him. It seems that you've created a "why" for him, but I don't see a "how." I actually can't really think of a way that he could have pulled this off.
Again I ask that if you are a professional homicide investigator, could you please verify yourself with the admins as such? It's not a necessity and I can't compel you to do it. But my baloney radar is going off something fierce. For my own benefit, I'd like to be able to take you a bit more seriously ;)

I missed something because I have no clue! lol I think I need to go fill in some gaps in my knowledge!
eta: Okay, I think I know now.

If you will not refer to me as detective and consider me as one of you because I have no authority.
The one post here has me responding to a statement that came up..The statement referred to 6 people
were killed in another county and the case is still unsolved...Also, the mother and daughter killed is still
cold case. I googled Pike County and surrounding counties and discovered that as the reports indicate,
that part of Ohio is a war zone for drug related murders..Don't pound on me for indicating that your part
of the country is unique..I am only responding to what I read.If what I read is the case, the serial killer here
started early in life and got very efficient...Time will tell. Please ,, I would not hammer the D.A. because
his future depends on this tradedgy (sp) If he fails, he will pay. If he succeeds ,he reaps a reward...just my opinion...

How does a person change from being a serial killer to a mass murderer?

How does a person change from being a serial killer to a mass murderer?

You kill eight people in an hour, instead of one at a time over time? Just found out rogue was not only K-9, but also a member of the state Strategic Response Team (SWAT).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member