OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that hunters or country folk did this. The aspect of this execution that leaves the impression of sophistication isn't the fact that the perpetrators are familiar with how to shoot a gun accurately, it's the entire operation. The way it was done, the lengths the murderers went to in order to expertly hide evidence even while in the act... These murderers weren't just knowledgeable about shooting. They were knowledgeable about orchestrating a large-scale hit and slipping away.

(moo, obv.)

I dont know about the States but over here growers tend to bypass any electricity meters so the power company cant see the extra electricity used, they have also been known to tap into the mains or street lamps too.
Depending n how sophisticated the grow ops where they may have been using led lighting instead of the lights normally used ( forget name), LED are being used more and more in growing as the power consumption and heat output is reduced greatly..

Heres a link to a Youtube video of an grow using 20 train carriages buried underground using diesel generators for the power source.
[video=youtube;A5rvldFoAo8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5rvldFoAo8[/video]

I still dont believe it was cartels, im not even 100% that it was over the pot?

That's what I'm wondering too. Seems pretty professional, or at least not their first rodeo. Silencers? Taking the shell casings? Leaving no tire or foot tracks? Seems really odd to keep hearing it called sophisticated. And they must like that word. They've called it a sophisticated execution and a sophisticated grow operation.

Yeah.. My family is country folk hunters and I would never consider then sophisticated enough to pull off something like this. I would expect them caught within hours. I've also lived in a small community like that, people knew me and called me in less than 24 hours after I moved in. Everyone knows what everyone is doing. This was rural area, much of it farm area and there was a small middle class. People were generally pretty rich or very poor and the middle class was looked at as rich.

NOTHING happened there the cops didn't know about and there were only a few cops and the people knew more. This town had one red-light and it was very new and really wasn't needed.

I just find it hard to believe the cops didn't know about the grow operation and there were killers there sophisticated enough to pull something off or strangers in town. Strangers couldn't drive through the town where I was without the cops being notified and everyone in town knowing they were there.

And no one locked their doors there. If I went out of town I usually locked my door, and I lived "in town" in one of the only two neighborhoods. A lot of this just doesn't make sense.

I didn't see the threat, but I did see the profile of the person who threatened it. Some high school kid, who seemed really normal, smart, and like he had his life together. He updated his status publicly to let people know that he is heartbroken for the Rhoden family, and that he never would have wanted something like this to happen. Whatever the threat was, he says it was completely empty, and he feels terribly for issuing it. It sounds like it was just some high school facebook feud. Either way, he said he spoke to investigators immediately, and it sounds like he's clear.

Yep, the teen involved with the altercation was already questioned and not arrested, comments from his parents to dispel the rumors were posted on the 1st thread. Seeing the grainy video of the young man arrested by swat in an article looked just like his features, so I'm assuming that was him. Actually with the preplanning execution as the AG stated and sophistication I can't see a teen carrying this out. Besides I also can't see anyone that wears Mickey Mouse ears to please his little sister as a mass executioner, just sayin'.

The reporter stated this happened at 7:30am I've not heard that anywhere, that would probably be when they wake up for school and such. I think he might be mistaken as the 9 11 calls were around 8am, correct?

I would have thought that if they knew there was a danger they would have slept armed and be alert?, so did this come out of the blue?, or didnt they think any threat they had had was serious?, i think if dealing with cartels its a given you are always armed and alert.

I also wonder about any cctv?, surely you would have cameras considering the amount of pot they were growing?, or was that what the Sherriff meant when he was saying that the perps went to lengths to not be caught, they disabled cameras or deleted any footage?.

The press has now picked up on what criminal history is out there, for victims and other relatives still living. It starts at the 1:15 mark.

Also on the video at the 1:54 mark the 18 pieces of crucial evidence are discussed. Reporter says some of it is being tested for DNA. Not sure how accurate that is but that is what is being reported.

Yes, it seems unusual that the local sheriff says he had no contact with the family when some of them had past criminal convictions, some drug related (per the news report).

I'll feel a lot better when they bring federal law enforcement into the picture as an active part of the investigation. Governor Kasich also needs to come back to Ohio and get involved in bringing all resources to bear on solving this.

Noticed on the photo still of the video (from around 3:35) it looks like the grey building LE is inspecting has one of those long aluminum tubes attached to the outside. From the article linked earlier about the bust of the local "shattering" operation, it looks like one of those tubes they show in a photo used to extract THC/cannabis oil (I'm not an expert on this).

ETA: Link to earlier article about shattering operation. Look at photo of shed with a pipe outside.

http://www.newswatchman.com/news/article_2b29ce0c-27a4-5f3b-9c28-ff921fe53003.html

A few things bother me about this case. The level of sophistication in this murder says outside professionals. The familiarity of the area (location of houses, gaining access, dogs not barking) says local knowledge. Also with a new born baby and a pot growing operation on premises, you would think they would be sleeping w one eye open. A new born says the mother was probably up at odd hours for feeding/checking on the baby. Very odd that no one heard them entering the houses. I think they must have had a key or knew where the hide-a-key was. Picking a lock could be noisy. Just my opinion

I would have thought that if they knew there was a danger they would have slept armed and be alert?, so did this come out of the blue?, or didnt they think any threat they had had was serious?, i think if dealing with cartels its a given you are always armed and alert.

I also wonder about any cctv?, surely you would have cameras considering the amount of pot they were growing?, or was that what the Sherriff meant when he was saying that the perps went to lengths to not be caught, they disabled cameras or deleted any footage?.

I had asked about CCTV/security cameras as well earlier on before we learned of the grow-ops as I wasn't sure if they ran businesses from their property.

I'm very curious if there were any being used, one would assume so but maybe not as then maybe cameras would draw attention to anyone visiting? I wonder if this will be addressed by LE at some point.

Yes, it seems unusual that the local sheriff says he had no contact with the family when some of them had past criminal convictions, some drug related (per the news report).

I'll feel a lot better when they bring federal law enforcement into the picture as an active part of the investigation. Governor Kasich also needs to come back to Ohio and get involved in bringing all resources to bear on solving this.

Noticed on the photo still of the video (from around 3:35) it looks like the grey building LE is inspecting has one of those long aluminum tubes attached to the outside. From the article linked earlier about the bust of the local "shattering" operation, it looks like one of those tubes they show in a photo used to extract THC/cannabis oil (I'm not an expert on this).

That still bugs me. Everyone knows he knew of them due to legal issues. It would seem less suspicious to me if he said he knew of them also due to minor legal issues, as all this is public record.

I've seen talk about issues with law enforcement involved in some of this and turning their heads and making money. The sheriff lying about this just throws up red flags for me. It isn't like it isn't easy to spin he knew them through minor issues.

A few things bother me about this case. The level of sophistication in this murder says outside professionals. The familiarity of the area (location of houses, gaining access, dogs not barking) says local knowledge. Also with a new born baby and a pot growing operation on premises, you would think they would be sleeping w one eye open. A new born says the mother was probably up at odd hours for feeding/checking on the baby. Very odd that no one heard them entering the houses. I think they must have had a key or knew where the hide-a-key was. Picking a lock could be noisy. Just my opinion

Well the first ones they hit could have been the ones up watching, all weren't sleeping. They are close enough to not have to be in each house.

I'm coming at this with the bias of assuming that the Rhoden family is the unnamed family from the drug bust last month. If that's the case, the Rhoden family would almost certainly have been under some sort of surveillance/protection as informants. They may have assumed they were safe for that reason.

Of course, that begs the question of how surveillance failed that night. Maybe that's part of what was so "sophisticated" about this killing. The fact that they were able to disable any surveillance cameras without being seen or alerting authorities.

That still bugs me. Everyone knows he knew of them due to legal issues. It would seem less suspicious to me if he said he knew of them also due to minor legal issues, as all this is public record.

I've seen talk about issues with law enforcement involved in some of this and turning their heads and making money. The sheriff lying about this just throws up red flags for me. It isn't like it isn't easy to spin he knew them through minor issues.

This is just way too much of a coincidence to be ignored, IMHO. Article dated February 1, 2016.

http://www.newswatchman.com/news/article_2b29ce0c-27a4-5f3b-9c28-ff921fe53003.html

Do we know if the victim found separately some distance away was murdered at the same time as the others?, i just wonder if the perps went to him first, got all the info about location of cash held, dogs, guns, layout etc before they killed him then went on to the other murders?.

Any cash i think would be stashed away from the properties or spread over multiple properties.

Yeah.. My family is country folk hunters and I would never consider then sophisticated enough to pull off something like this. I would expect them caught within hours. I've also lived in a small community like that, people knew me and called me in less than 24 hours after I moved in. Everyone knows what everyone is doing. This was rural area, much of it farm area and there was a small middle class. People were generally pretty rich or very poor and the middle class was looked at as rich.

NOTHING happened there the cops didn't know about and there were only a few cops and the people knew more. This town had one red-light and it was very new and really wasn't needed.

I just find it hard to believe the cops didn't know about the grow operation and there were killers there sophisticated enough to pull something off or strangers in town. Strangers couldn't drive through the town where I was without the cops being notified and everyone in town knowing they were there.

And no one locked their doors there. If I went out of town I usually locked my door, and I lived "in town" in one of the only two neighborhoods. A lot of this just doesn't make sense.

This is exactly how it is here (and by here I mean the area where this happened)! The reason I said it was odd that some of the victims had normal jobs, is because here, if you sell drugs, that IS your job! All of the cops know who do it so the people who are selling, growing, etc., are not as likely to hide it because LE already know. There is very, very little done around here about drug dealers, the resources are just not here to take them all down and when they do take them down, it's only after months and months, if not years of investigation and evidence.

That's what I'm wondering too. Seems pretty professional, or at least not their first rodeo. Silencers? Taking the shell casings? Leaving no tire or foot tracks? Seems really odd to keep hearing it called sophisticated. And they must like that word. They've called it a sophisticated execution and a sophisticated grow operation.

Considering the amount of drug trafficking in the region, etc., it seems like it might be a modern day version of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. Possibly warring criminal factions, fights over turf, someone getting ripped off, someone talking to LE. Take your pick.

Do we know if the victim found separately some distance away was murdered at the same time as the others?, i just wonder if the perps went to him first, got all the info about location of cash held, dogs, guns, layout etc before they killed him then went on to the other murders?.

Any cash i think would be stashed away from the properties or spread over multiple properties.

Good thought! He likely would have had a key to the property, as well.

I would nearly guarantee other people outside of the family knew about the grow ops, i would also guess the police had an idea too, or had heard rumours. It may have been a case of 'better the devil you know' and they were left alone. Or it may be as some have already said that they were now either under surveillance or working with law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz