OH - Pike County: 8 People From One Family Dead As Police Hunt For Killer(s) #35 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
23-pike-county-mass-shooting.w529.h352.jpg

The gruesome slayings have rattled this southeast corner of Appalachian Ohio, a region that culturally identifies more closely with neighboring Kentucky and West Virginia than the state’s northern cities.

[...]

Adding to the shock was the discovery of hundreds of illegal marijuana plants on Rhoden’s property, highlighting the region’s dependency on the illegal drug trade as jobs in agriculture and timber have dried up.

Audio 911 Calls

PRESSER: APRIL 27, 2016

Video Interview with Attorney General DeWine Published 8-13-16

Minors: You may discuss what is covered in the main stream media regarding the custody of minor children. If posting snips from articles regarding the children please redact their names. These babes are innocents. One day they will google their names or those of their parents. And plenty will come up. Let's be respectful of them and the catastrophic loss they have suffered at such tender ages. Thanks.

DO NOT SLEUTH STILL LIVING FAMILY MEMBERS' FACEBOOK PAGES AND POST ABOUT IT HERE. Just don't mention it. Period.

Leave the politics, both national and local, at the door. There is no room for them here.

Rules Etiquette & Information

CASE NOTES (courtesy of cujenn81) this link contains locations, distance, victim info, relationships and more.

MEDIA LINKS NO DISCUSSION
CASE MAP (courtesy of K.L.Puyallup)
Preliminary Autopsy Reports
Final Autopsy Reports source article

Thread #33
Thread #34

Last edited by a moderator:
Please let me know any correction.

To try to summarize the indictments, it seems to me each of the 4 persons is charged with identical counts:
1-8 aggravated murder of the 8 victims
9- conspiracy to commit the murders with the 3 others, beginning around Jan 1, 2016, including purchasing items, surveillance of the victims, and learning their habits, etc
10-13 aggravated burglary on the 4 homes on the day of the murders.
14 - unlawful possession of weapon(s)
15-17 - tampering with evidence including victim's phones, custody documents from April 3, a silencer, home security video.
18 - forging custody documents on April 3, 2016
19-20 computer hacking of social media and intercepting emails, going back to July 1, 2014, up to May 2017 (when they left for AK?)
21 - obstructing justice by covering up for the others
22 - engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity in committing these crimes, involving the 3 others killers, the 2 grandmothers, and a 'John Doe', beginning Jan 1, 2016.

Then JW has a charge of sex with a minor, Hanna Rhoden.

Thanks, Satchie, that's a pretty good summary. I would also add some mention in the tampering or obstructing section where they charge something about a video recorder that was purchased by Jake Wagner in March 2016. Perhaps they mention this because they found proof he purchased it, used it somehow in the planning or execution of the murders, then later disposed of it.

Anyone see any mention in there of vehicles that were used in the crimes? Just thinking about the red truck that was later sold or given to James Manley, then alleged to have been used in the crimes.

Please let me know any correction.

To try to summarize the indictments, it seems to me each of the 4 persons is charged with identical counts:
1-8 aggravated murder of the 8 victims
9- conspiracy to commit the murders with the 3 others, beginning around Jan 1, 2016, including purchasing items, surveillance of the victims, and learning their habits, etc
10-13 aggravated burglary on the 4 homes on the day of the murders.
14 - unlawful possession of weapon(s)
15-17 - tampering with evidence including victim's phones, custody documents from April 3, a silencer, home security video.
18 - forging custody documents on April 3, 2016
19-20 computer hacking of social media and intercepting emails, going back to July 1, 2014, up to May 2017 (when they left for AK?)
21 - obstructing justice by covering up for the others
22 - engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity in committing these crimes, involving the 3 others killers, the 2 grandmothers, and a 'John Doe', beginning Jan 1, 2016.

Then JW has a charge of sex with a minor, Hanna Rhoden.

This is very helpful.

Would you mind adding the date of the killings to your Count 1-8 item as that will help put the other items in context with their dates. No need to resend it out until you decide to add any more clarifications. Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Satchie, that's a pretty good summary. I would also add some mention in the tampering or obstructing section where they charge something about a video recorder that was purchased by Jake Wagner in March 2016. Perhaps they mention this because they found proof he purchased it, used it somehow in the planning or execution of the murders, then later disposed of it.

Anyone see any mention in there of vehicles that were used in the crimes? Just thinking about the red truck that was later sold or given to James Manley, then alleged to have been used in the crimes.

I took it to mean he bought a camera and set it up on the Rhoden farm. Says countersurveilence?

My notes from today's presser 11/13/2018:

Yesterday, the Grand Jury indicted four suspects on aggravated murder with death penalty specifications.

The Suspects:
George Billy Wagner III
Angela Wagner
George Wagner IV
Edward J. Wagner

These arrests are the result of an extensive joint investigation into the murder of eight family members by the AG’s office, the FBI, and Pike County Sheriff's Office.

The Victims:
Christopher Rhoden Sr., 40
Dana Manley Rhoden, 37
Hanna Mae Rhoden, 19
Christopher Rhoden Jr, 16
Clarence “Frankie” Rhoden, 20
Hannah Hazel Gilley, 20
Kenneth Rhoden, 44
Gary Rhoden, 38

The evidence will show that the four suspects meticulously planned these murders. They conspired together to kill these 8 people. All four suspects have been charged with eight counts of aggravated murder each (one for each victim) with death penalty specifications.

He won’t be able to say much about motive due to the open prosecution but will say that custody plays a role. He believes the evidence will show that the Wagners came up with an elaborate plan to kill these eight victims in the cover of darkness and made elaborate plans to cover up the murders. The evidence will show that the suspects spent months planning these crimes. They studied their habits and routines. They knew the layouts of their homes. The suspects tampered with evidence--their phones and the surveillance cameras on their properties.

They have been gathering evidence for two and a half years. On July 2018, a judge and an investigative grand jury met weekly to go over evidence and to come up with ways to discover new evidence. The last piece of significant physical evidence was discovered on October 30, 2018 and the analysis of that evidence was completed just a few days later, on Nov 7th. This last piece of evidence, along with all of the other evidence they’ve collected since the murders, is what led them to today’s charges and arrests.

The suspects have also been charged with a number of other other offenses: conspiracy, engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity, aggravated burglary, tampering with evidence, unlawful possession of a dangerous ordinance, unauthorized use of property, interception of wire, oral, or electronic communications, and obstruction of justice. All four suspects have also been charged with forgery for allegedly forging child custody documents. Two other individuals have also been arrested in conjunction with the coverup of these crimes, and they are the parents of two of the Wagners -- Rita Newcomb and Fredericka Wagner. These two arrests are related to an attempt to mislead authorities.

Also, from this article... Pike County: Wagner family arrested in the Rhoden family massacre

"They did this quickly, coldly, calmly and very carefully – but not carefully enough," said. Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader. Prosecutors allege Angela Wagner purchased several items in the months leading up to the deaths of the Rhoden family and Hannah Gilley.

"...specific shoes from Walmart, 'brass catcher(s),' items with which to build 'brass catchers,' ammunition, a magazine clip, a 'bug' detector, and or items with which to build a 'silencer(s),' and/or various other items in preparation for these crimes," the indictment states.

Brass catchers are used to collect discharged bullet casings.

Please continue the discussion here and do not make political or gun control statements unless you wish to find yourself on the outside of this thread looking in without the ability to post in this thread.

Family of 4 arrested in the Rhoden family homicides in Pike County, Ohio

Snipped from above article:

Update, 4:35 p.m.: Children's services have stepped in, due to the involvement of children.

I hope that now that these people are behind bars, other potential witnesses feel safe in coming forward.

I’m confident that prosecutors have enough to secure a conviction, but you can never have enough evidence.

I’d be watching these people closely if I were LE, as I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to hear that they tried to strike out at those who they feel betrayed them, even from behind bars.

Family of 4 arrested in the Rhoden family homicides in Pike County, Ohio

Snipped from above article:

Update, 4:35 p.m.: Children's services have stepped in, due to the involvement of children.

Yes, I think that's what they said at the presser today. Wouldn't give any more details. Poor kids, I feel so badly for everything they've been through. Also thinking of the surviving family members, too. It's probably a relief for them, but also difficult to relive all of it.

quoting from KAYKAY on previous thread, "Her son broke off from her in the ponies (Bobby) and now owns SMHC horse farm in shade Ohio. The stories I could tell. I’m gonna write a book on it one day (my years in horses and all the crazy things that happened)"[/QUOTE]
Okay, KayKay!! You brought up the subject of Fredricka Wagner (I'm sure this is ok to post, because she has now been arrested) Try not to be shocked & confused....such a strange advertisement.
01 DOGS MAIN PAGE USE
Also look at the "puppy pricing $1800 to $2100 per" !! (Lots of money, buys lots of secrets....just sayin")

Last edited:
Wasn't Sophia at her father's for his scheduled visit when the murders occurred? Please forgive if this has been asked already. How convenient the murders occurred on the night Sophia was at her father's and not home to witness the horror that went on in that trailer. Thank God for that!

My notes from today's presser 11/13/2018:

....snipped for focus......

"...specific shoes from Walmart, 'brass catcher(s),' items with which to build 'brass catchers,' ammunition, a magazine clip, a 'bug' detector, and or items with which to build a 'silencer(s),' and/or various other items in preparation for these crimes," the indictment states.

Brass catchers are used to collect discharged bullet casings.

Wow. I have never heard of "brass catchers".
They obviously planned this out and were trying to make sure they didnt leave any bullet casings from the shells after firing them.

The bullet projectile itself would still be in the victims which can identify the caliber of a weapon and it can sometimes even be forensically traced back to a particular weapon if LE has a weapon to test fire bullets from so not sure how much help a brass catcher would give them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni