OH OH - Ruth Baumgardner, 21, Delaware, 4 May 1937

These two articles were added to Ruth’s NamUs on May 2nd, 2023. Her NamUs was modified today, 7/5/23. (No exclusions)

Ruth was in the Tri-Delta sorority. I recall seeing a JD post a couple days ago who was wearing a ring that could have been connected to Delta Ki or a chapter of the Delta Sorority but am unable to locate it now.

View attachment 433026
View attachment 433027
She made it onto NamUs today!! I’m so happy. I submitted Ruth years ago and she finally made it on. Looks like she also has a new missing persons report on file

Dear Websleuths Members and Guests,

Websleuths will go dark if we don't raise the money for the server.

We have raised a little over 400 dollars.

We need another $1,300.00 to have enough to pay for the server.
Below are the ways you can donate.
PayPal Pay Websleuths.com, LLC using PayPal.Me
Venmo name Tricia-Griffith-14
OR
Cash App $tgrif14
Zelle use triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com

Be sure and put "server" in the memo.

The advertising has been awful this year. I am so sorry that I have to ask.

Please, only donate if you can afford to do so. DO NOT DONATE ONE PENNY UNLESS YOU ARE SURE YOU CAN.

I will post when we have reached our goal.

Please do not discuss on this thread.
CLICK HERE to post any questions.

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate your help.
Take Care,
Tricia Griffith

Owner/Websleuths.com

Last edited:
Ruth Baumgardner was a 21 year old senior at Ohio Wesleyan College in Delaware, Ohio. By all accounts she was a good student, popular on campus, and was in the Delta Delta Delta sorority. She was engaged to a boy (Bud Moore) from her home town of Lakewood, Ohio. Her father was a wealthy manufacturer. She received a red convertible for her graduation gift, and had once remarked that if she ever wanted to disappear, she'd leave her car behind because the fiery red vehicle would be easy to spot. The last time she was seen was the evening of May 4, 1937, when she went to the sorority house for choir practice. She was described as being "jovial" that evening, but had seemed "nervous" for the past few weeks. She was last seen hurrying to her room, and seemed "excited" about something. She had received three calls from an unidentified male that day.

The next day, Ruth did not show up for class, missing a test that she had been studying for the previous day. Finally, when she missed dinner, some classmates went to her room (she roomed alone) to look for her. The room was tidy, the robe and pajamas she had worn the night before were hanging in the closet. Either she had not slept in her bed that night, or she made the bed before she left. Her watch, sorority pin and change purse were on the dresser. Her room keys and her ID were found in the stair railing near her room. A brown suit, hat and shoes, and a small overnight case (recently purchased) were missing from her room. Her new car was left in the garage. Her car keys were on the front steps of her dorm. A woman reported hearing a scream around 2 a.m. near the Olentangy River, but an investigation of that area revealed no clues to Ruth's disappearance.

After the disappearance, there were a lot of "sightings" of Ruth, none of which panned out. A mentally ill woman was arrested by the police in Boston, claiming she was Ruth Baumgardner. However, it turned out she was not.

In 1938, four men were arrested for killing a police officer. One of those men confessed to the kidnapping of Ruth Baumgardner, and for a while there was hope the case would be solved. It was later proven these men could not have been the kidnappers.

I have searched newspaper archives and have not found anything relating to this case since 1951, when a newspaper ran an article on the 14th anniversary of Ruth Baumgardner's disappearance.

If anyone out there knows about this case, I'd love to hear from you regarding your thoughts about it. I continue to research this, and will attempt to locate anyone who was connected to Ruth Baumgardner. As this case is so old, it may be hard to locate anyone who knew Ruth personally.

I'd appreciate any help.
Mrs. Wilmer Smith, who lived by the Oletnangy River, close to the Ohio Wesleyan College Campus, was the woman who reported hearing three eerie wails between two and three in the morning on 5 May 1937. Smith said the wails sounded like the cries of a hysterical person in distress. I'm not convinced this information was ever properly followed up on, and I've often wondered if a search of the area with cadaver dogs, even now 86 years later, might not turn up something useful in the case of Ms. Baumgardner.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back