OH - Shawn Michael GRATE: 3 bodies found, Ashland/Madison, Sept 2016

Grate's sentencing was this morning. The courtroom was filled with a sea of purple tee shirts with #STANLEYSTRONG...and the many impactful statements from her very large family. Then Elizabeth's family. When the judge announced the death sentence and the date of execution the whole courtroom applauded for quite a while. Watch... Twitter

(Video of Grate speaking before impact statements)
Shawn Grate speaks before sentencing

Judge sentences Grate to death in two murders

Just seen he got the death penalty and realised I've not checked in to this case for months. Had a little look at Wiki and am wondering why he hasn't been tried for any of the other cases yet?

Shawn Grate - Wikipedia

Shawn Grate's trial in Richland County has been scheduled for March 4.

The 42-year-old Grate has pleaded not guilty to charges including aggravated murder.

Grate confessed to killing Candice Cunningham at a vacant Richland County home near where she was found in a ravine. Grate also was linked to the 2015 slaying of Rebekah Leicy, who was found in Ashland County.

Ohio man on death row for 2 killings faces trial for 2 more

2/25/2019

RICHLAND COUNTY, OH - Shawn Grate, after initially pleading Not Guilty to fourteen charges in Richland County in 2018 will change his plea. His sentencing will take place on Friday, March 1st.

After being sentenced to death by way of lethal injection in Ashland County Common Pleas Court in June of 2018, Grate appeared in Richland County Court in September of 2018 to face one count of murder, three counts of aggravated murder, three counts of kidnapping, three counts of tampering with evidence, two count of gross abuse of a corpse, and two counts of aggravated arson.

Grate's jury trial was initially scheduled to begin on March 4th, 2019. Now that Grate has changed his plea, he will be sentenced in Judge Brent N. Robinson's courtroom on Friday, March 1st.

WMFD.com - Shawn Grate Changing Plea, Sentencing To Be Held Friday

Serial killer Grate pleads guilty to killing 2 women in Richland County
MANSFIELD - Shawn Grate confessed Friday to the killings of two additional victims.

Grate, 43, was charged with 14 counts related to the deaths of two women in Richland County.

The serial killer pleaded guilty to aggravated murder and gross abuse of a corpse in the death of Rebekah Leicy and murder and gross abuse of a corpse in the death of Candice Cunningham.

March 8, 2019

CRESTLINE - Richland County Prosecutor Gary Bishop has revealed never-before-released details about the murder of serial killer Shawn Grate's second victim.

Rebekah Leicy's body was found in a wooded area in Ashland County in 2015. The crime happened between Jan. 1, 2015, and Feb. 6, 2015.

Bishop said Grate strangled Leicy, 31, after he believed she stole money from him.

Bob Leicy, Rebekah's father, doesn't buy it.

"Shawn ain't guilty," he told the News Journal.

Bob Leicy remains skeptical despite Grate, 42, pleading guilty March 1 to aggravated murder and gross abuse of a corpse in the death of Leicy, and murder and gross abuse of a corpse in the death of Candice Cunningham.

Even Grate's defense attorney, Terry Hitchman, said after he is convinced his client is guilty.

Life sentence
Common Pleas Judge Brent Robinson sentenced Grate to life in prison without parole for the aggravated murder of Leicy and 17 years to life for the other three charges and made the sentences run consecutively.

Bob and close friend Cindy Tilton left the courtroom in protest after their victim impact statement was not read.

More at link: Family of serial killer Grate's victim doesn't think he did it

Marion County Sheriff identifying remains believed to be Shawn Grate's first victim

MARION, Ohio (WSYX/WTTE) — The Marion County Sheriff's Office is releasing new details on remains that were found in 2007.

The victim was identified Tuesday as Dana Nicole Lowrey, who was 23 at the time of her death. The sheriff said Lowrey's body was found on Victory Road in Marion.

Marion County Sheriff identifying remains believed to be Shawn Grate's first victim

June 9, 2019

MARION, Ohio (AP) — A death row inmate has been indicted on charges of killing a Louisiana woman more than a decade ago in Ohio.

Inmate Shawn Grate was previously convicted of four slayings in northern Ohio's Ashland and Richland counties. Grate had told authorities another of his victims was a woman selling magazines.

Marion County Sheriff Tim Bailey at a news conference Tuesday identified the woman as Dana Nicole Lowrey, of Minden, Louisiana.

Her remains were found in 2007. She was 23 when she was killed, and was known to have sold magazines in Ohio.

A grand jury on Wednesday indicted Grate on charges of aggravated murder, kidnapping, tampering with evidence, and abuse of a corpse.

A message seeking comment was left with Grate's attorney.

Death row inmate charged with killing woman found in 2007

On the ID channel I am watching Evil Lives here, which is new and it is about Shawn Grate. That lady who escaped and called 911 was so lucky to be rescued.
I turned the TV on last night and that was playing. I write to him so it was surreal to watch that episode. There's never been a documentary before and I don't hear his name come up often in crime circles. I have no idea if he's even aware of the episode but I know he'll be completely enraged when he finds out. Out of all the violent offenders I've written to over the years, he's the only one who's made me apprehensive.

I turned the TV on last night and that was playing. I write to him so it was surreal to watch that episode. There's never been a documentary before and I don't hear his name come up often in crime circles. I have no idea if he's even aware of the episode but I know he'll be completely enraged when he finds out. Out of all the violent offenders I've written to over the years, he's the only one who's made me apprehensive.

I'm intrigued by your communicating with offenders - is that for research/academic purposes? (I hope it goes without saying that you don't have to answer this at all!)

I have always wondered if someone is reaching out to Randy Taylor and hoping he reveals where he left Alexis Murphy's remains (and Samantha's).

Also curious if you think he is responsible for any other unsolved cases out there. I followed his case closely when he first revealed he was responsible for "victory jane doe" and I am so glad she got her name back.

I'm intrigued by your communicating with offenders - is that for research/academic purposes? (I hope it goes without saying that you don't have to answer this at all!)

I have always wondered if someone is reaching out to Randy Taylor and hoping he reveals where he left Alexis Murphy's remains (and Samantha's).

Also curious if you think he is responsible for any other unsolved cases out there. I followed his case closely when he first revealed he was responsible for "victory jane doe" and I am so glad she got her name back.
I only write to violent offenders serving life without parole or with death sentences. I don’t write for academic reasons in the traditional sense, but I enjoy understanding criminal thinking, violence, and the psychology behind it all. The circumstances that drive different kinds of criminal behavior interests me. I’d love a career in criminology in the future.

I haven’t heard of Randy Taylor, but extracting information from these people is so hard. Your best bet is to hope they slip up. There was one serial killer I wrote to who slipped up about a detail. Honestly though, most just want to talk about normal things. Daniel Blank, a Louisiana serial killer, talked incessantly about money (which was his main motive for killing) and women’s wrestling. Gary Ridgway sends me books, always of a religious nature.

I’m not sure if I think he’s responsible for any other murders. Maybe some of the missing women in Chillicothe if anyone. Maybe some other street women who had no one looking for them or no one to report them. It’s entirely possible. He did have a huge gap between his victims. Have you watched his entire trial? I did last year. What a wild, horrifying ride. The details were harrowing. I think I find it most disturbing that he continued to live among the remains of his victims for up to a month. Much about his life is still a mystery though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back