OH - Sierah Joughin, 20, Fulton County, 19 July 2016 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
From your link CZL:

"The Joughin family lawsuit targets Worley and his trust. Attorneys for the family say Worley moved assets around in an attempt to shield them. In addition to damages, the Joughin family wants control of Worley's property so they can tear down the barn. Attorneys say family members are reminded of what happened there every time they go past the property."

Also from your link:

Investigators say Worley took Joughin back to his home and held her in a barn on his property before killing her. Her body was found buried in a nearby farm field.

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/W...-in-Sierah-Joughin-murder-case-418419163.html

I haven't been keeping up with Sierah's case - I knew she was found in a field but I didn't realize that Worley killed her in his barn. I mean I suspected such, along with most of you, but it's heartbreaking to know that her life ended in that awful place, I hope her family ends up owning his property and every penny of his assets!

Is this first confirmation of the barn?

Just tragic.

I still have Google alerts for her, and I am amazed how many I get due to fundraisers and attempts at changing of laws

Also from your link:

Investigators say Worley took Joughin back to his home and held her in a barn on his property before killing her. Her body was found buried in a nearby farm field.

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/W...-in-Sierah-Joughin-murder-case-418419163.html

I haven't been keeping up with Sierah's case - I knew she was found in a field but I didn't realize that Worley killed her in his barn. I mean I suspected such, along with most of you, but it's heartbreaking to know that her life ended in that awful place, I hope her family ends up owning his property and every penny of his assets!

I agree. I hope they will get the property , unless there's a family member still living there. Could that said person fight that and potentially win? In my opinion there was iand still is , a member living at that property. I don't know if that will throw a wrench in it. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say here anymore about that whole thing but JDW was not the only child so I don't know how that's going to go with the court thing

, the part about this article that obviously upset me is the confirmation that Ce did indeed make it to that damn Barn of Horrors before she was killed. I read this update yesterday and was very upset last night about this.

I, like many of you, was very saddened to hear the part about Sierah being in that barn. My heart broke for her and her friends and family all over again. In my head, she passed quickly, before he ever got that far.

Is this firm confirmation, or could have the author of the article put together facts and speculated the rest?

If my memory serves me correctly, civil wrongful death suits can get more information into evidence (testimony) than in a criminal trial?

Somewhere in the back of my mind I'm thinking they aren't allowed to plead the fifth on some information in a Civil Trial where they can in a criminal trial.

Can anyone with a better memory than me or expertise confirm this, or reasons why I recall hearing it is good to have a civil trial before a criminal one or vice versa?

TIA

If my memory serves me correctly, civil wrongful death suits can get more information into evidence (testimony) than in a criminal trial?

Somewhere in the back of my mind I'm thinking they aren't allowed to plead the fifth on some information in a Civil Trial where they can in a criminal trial.

Can anyone with a better memory than me or expertise confirm this, or reasons why I recall hearing it is good to have a civil trial before a criminal one or vice versa?

TIA

I do know that in a civil trial the standard of guilt is NOT "beyond a reasonable doubt" as it is in a criminal trial or murder trial - the standard of proof in a civil trial is " "the preponderance of the evidence" (which essentially means that it was more likely than not that something occurred in a certain way).

I do know that in a civil trial the standard of guilt is NOT "beyond a reasonable doubt" as it is in a criminal trial or murder trial - the standard of proof in a civil trial is " "the preponderance of the evidence" (which essentially means that it was more likely than not that something occurred in a certain way).

Thanks. I am on computer now vs. phone and did a quick google. Where did I get that civil got more info than criminal in my brain? From the FCA trial where the nanny did the civil suit, or OJ civil suit?

Anyhoo... a quick google said that yes, someone can do a pleading of the fifth during a civil trial. Still :confused: on what my brain is trying to think of... that is the big reason that a civil case can get information and testimony that a criminal case cannot.

Bueller? Bueller?

:thinking:

I agree. I hope they will get the property , unless there's a family member still living there. Could that said person fight that and potentially win? In my opinion there was iand still is , a member living at that property. I don't know if that will throw a wrench in it. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say here anymore about that whole thing but JDW was not the only child so I don't know how that's going to go with the court thing

, the part about this article that obviously upset me is the confirmation that Ce did indeed make it to that damn Barn of Horrors before she was killed. I read this update yesterday and was very upset last night about this.

:moo: :cow:

It was in MSM about his mom living there, that she was removed, and info on his sibling(s). That was indeed in MSM. So I think is fair game and ok to post about here.

This article discusses trust. I'm trying to recall if trust was discussed earlier (as he was caretaking of his mom living there I assume control over stuff when she was alive, and any "trust" may have been accessible to him when she was alive... vs. is she now deceased? Not sleuthing and posting that as not sure if we are allowed to even go there though here due to TOS.. so just jotting down what was in MSM previously)

After Bently ased if the article posted was the first to confirm that Sierah was killed in the barn I did a search and it seems that it hadn't been said until around March 8, when a Toledo Blade article said:

Fulton County Prosecutor Scott Haselman said in a motion regarding DNA testing that both Ms. Joughin’s DNA and Worley’s DNA were found on items found at the suspected location of her abduction, in a barn on Worley’s property, and near the location where her body was recovered.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Courts/2...-death-of-Sierah-Joughin-set-for-January.html

As for the ownership of the property, part of the lawsuit has to do with Worley transferring his sole ownership to a trust in an attempt to circumvent losing the property to Sierah's family:

The suit also accuses Worley of fraudulently transferring ownership of his property. Auditor records show Worley on Aug. 29 shifted ownership from himself to a trust in which he is the trustee.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Courts/2...rah-Joughin-files-lawsuit-against-Worley.html

If that is reversed then indeed Worley is the single owner and any family living there would have no say in the disposition of the property. IMO.

There was a hearing this week to discuss fees and costs associated with the case, which are for expert witnesses that the state will use to prosecute El Diablo

His attorneys will also get money, all at taxpayer expense of course, to hire experts to aid in his defense.

Family sat in court while attys and El Diablo were behind closed doors.

There was a hearing this week to discuss fees and costs associated with the case, which are for expert witnesses that the state will use to prosecute El Diablo

His attorneys will also get money, all at taxpayer expense of course, to hire experts to aid in his defense.

Family sat in court while attys and El Diablo were behind closed doors.

Thank you for the update, Jashrema. I hope Josh is doing all right. the trial is going to be a rough go for him. May you all be surrounded with the utmost support and love.

Is there a trial date set yet?

Thanks in advance!

:rose: Sierah :rose:

sorry - can't edit my post - I see trial is set for January 16, 2018.

:facepalm:

There was a motions hearing yesterday.

http://www.wtol.com/story/35622739/attorneys-argue-several-motions-in-james-worley-case?clienttype=generic&utm_content=buffera5850&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

worley.JPG

Above is screen cap from video which shows that he was in street clothes and without any restraints.

58 motions today and one of the motions included the coverage of the trial by the media. The defense asked to not allow cameras in the courtroom and they also asked for their client to not be interviewed before the verdict."So do you want me to stop the press from forming a story and gathering information,” asked Judge Robinson. :giggle: With publicity, there is concern over choosing an impartial jury so both sides said they would like to individually interview each potential juror first before they are interviewed as a group.

The judge ruled on several motions during the hearing but has several rulings to still deliver after hearing arguments from both sides.The trial is set to begin in January 2018. Jury selection is expected to last about week and the trial is expected to last around two weeks. In the video, it said Sierra's family was in court taking notes.

I'm plan on being there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I understanding right ... you will actually be able to be in court for the trial? That would be so nice of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member