OH - Tamir Rice, 12, with pellet gun, fatally shot by Cleveland LEO, Wrongful Death suit, Nov 2014

Orange Tips? A Solution?
... I had done something similar as a teenager with my friend and sister. In my neighborhood we had a wooded area behind fenced backyards. We were running around with a airsoft gun in those woods. Someone in their backyard saw us and threatened to call the police. We showed him the orange tip on the toy gun and fled...
@aThousandYearsWide :) sbm bbm Glad the story ended without an arrest or injury for death.
Article "Can you tell a real gun from a toy? It's tougher than you think. Take our quiz" has several pairs of photos, each w a real gun and 'toy' gun. Can you tell the difference? I'll wait right here while you read and see for yourself. ;););)Leisurely reviewing these photos in relaxed atmosphere of a comfortable living room armchair & w perfect light and no stress, I cannot begin to tell which is the real gun (admittedly, limited experience with and exposure to firearms).
An orange tip* on 'toy gun' does not guarantee a happy or even neutral ending. Simple for a child, teen, or adult to paint or tape orange tip onto end of a gun's barrel --- toy or actual. Likewise, easy to strip off or mask a toy's orange tip, to render it seemingly 'harmless.' Then anyone looking at either type of gun has a difficult, if not impossible, time distinguishing which is which.
Hard for me to imagine standing in a police officer's shoes and seeing someone pull a gun, then judging in a split second if real or 'toy.' Throw in the variables any LEO may face.
--- weather: outdoor scene, below freezing, sweltering heat, rain, snow?
--- person to approach: angry, drunken, drug addled, mentally ill, asleep?
--- immed. environment: home, retail store, protest, public sidewalk, empty bldg, 70 mph vehicle traffic half a lane away?
--- identity of individual: unknown, previously encountered & arrested, serving arrest warrant, a BOLO or APB??
--- nature of 911 call: baby in danger, domestic violence, store robbery, home invasion, traffic accident, wellness check, etc, etc.?
--- others close by: family members of person engaged, crowd gathering, pedestrians?
--- light levels: normal, high noon, pitch black, glaring sunrise/set, dark basement or alley?
--- proximity of back-up: partner 10 feet away, ten LEOs already out of vehicles 1/2 block away, or two other LEOs 20 min away?
--- plus other factors.
Are you back from the link? How many of the guns could you correctly identify as real? As toy? Who wants to try ^this^ in real life? I'm gonna to move to the end of line, which is getting pretty long, or behind the door.;);) ;)
'Toy' guns are used in actual crimes, w ppl scared into compliance by virtue of seeing the gun's shape. Should LE training lull LEOs into a sense of complacency "Oh, no danger, it's just a toy" then be shot at, injured, or killed after seeing orange tips? It's just plain hard to accurately tell if gun is 'toy' or real. Legislation requiring orange tips on certain gun-look alikes is not a complete or reliable solution for LE or the public in trying to distinguish 'toy' guns from real guns. What a quandry.
my 2 cts.

..................................................................................................................
* Toy gun - Wikipedia.

Last edited:
I just learned about this case today. So sad especially during this time with everything going on in the world.

I had done something similar as a teenager with my friend and sister. In my neighborhood we had a wooded area behind fenced backyards. We were running around with a airsoft gun in those woods. Someone in their backyard saw us and threatened to call the police. We showed him the orange tip on the toy gun and fled.

He was only 12 which is the saddest part.

Unfortunately, Tamir's "toy gun" was an Airsoft gun that looked a lot like a real gun and the orange tip was taken off by a friend who repaired it. See what it looks like on this Newsweek article: Tamir Rice was killed 3 years ago for holding this toy gun.

Sadly, Tamir was failed by a lot of people and this was preventable. I can say, I do live near the area and if anyone pulled out a toy gun that looked like that and pointed it, in the timeframe Tamir did, they would get shot. It's terribly tragic. Kids need to know that their toy guns can be mistaken as real ones.

Just something I noticed in an end of evening news scan...

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department decided more than a year ago to effectively shut down its civil-rights investigation into the high-profile killing of Tamir Rice, a 12-year-old Black boy carrying a pellet gun who was shot by a Cleveland police officer in 2014, according to people familiar with the matter.

Justice Dept. Is Said to Quietly Quash Inquiry Into Tamir Rice Killing

Court refuses appeal of ex-Cleveland cop who shot Tamir Rice | WKBN.com

The Ohio Supreme Court says it will not hear an appeal over the firing of a white Cleveland police officer who shot and killed 12-year-old Tamir Rice outside a city recreation center in 2014.

The court announced its decision Tuesday.

An arbitrator and a county judge upheld Timothy Loehmann’s 2017 firing for providing false information on his job application.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HairHawk
Back