OH - Teen jailed for her own safety, prosecutors say

I agree that she appears to have been "street wise," but if they're threatening members of her family, she may not testify in order to protect them. Again, they cannot FORCE her to testify, so I guess we shall see whether that happens or not.

My neighborhood is affluent and we (like you) chose it because of its low crime rate. Its a very small town. We've also got three cops who live in the neighborhood (two right next door) and an FBI agent down the block. However, it only takes seconds for someone to snatch a kid off the street. The perps don't seem to care how much money we make, an opportunity is all they need. After dealing with my sister having been abducted and missing for 11 years, I don't take any chances with my kids. Its not hard to make sure they're supervised, just means that I don't spend hours on the sofa watching reruns of Jerry Springer. LOL Pedophiles are more organized than ever. I'm not about to serve up one of my kids on a silver platter.

I can see where you are coming from Jeana, really I do, I know that it is not "uncommon" for kids to be taken off the street, even in their front or back yards.

But I guess it is about the difference in population and culture, we only have about 30 million people in Canada and in the States it is about 300 million.

I know Texas can be a bit on the "violent" side, no offense.

But the last time a child was taken off the street, was Holly Jones, my oldest son was in grade 6(he is in grade 9 now) and it rocked and shocked the entire city.

Big time and still does........no one will ever forget the 10 year old girl who walked her friend home a few blocks in her own neighbourhood, only to be taken, sexually assulted and murdered.

My oldest was not allowed to come home himself on the bus, after that. I had someone pick him up, wait at the bus with him, go home with him and make sure he get in the front door. He was rather "upset" at this, oh well.

The man spared the parents a trial and pleaded guilty.....there is a park, a mural and every year a "butterfly walk" for her.......her mother has never walked on the street that she was taken and never will.

That is probably why I would need valium to live in the states, I am just "too Canadian". I would not let the kids out of my sight. I would be paranoid....

You like hot chili, I eat Chunky Homestyle Chili from the can. Texans are used to spices, but mild is hot enough for me.....just a difference in cultures,countries and environment.

But if I did live in the states, I would be just like you, not taking any chances with the safety of the kids......not letting them out of my sight.....ever.

But I have heard there are some instances in some cities that kids are joining gangs at 12 and 13. So sad, and what a waste of young potential...and lives.....sad that they feel they need to join a gang to feel loved and or accepted in gangs which are subsitutes for their families or they feel they have no choice but to join a gang for protection.

Very sad..........I don' t feel that they would have held this girl under a material witness warrant if she is concerned for the safety of her family, because LE would be aware of this and offer protection to her and or her family lest the charges go away because this girl "went missing".

I feel that she has made this choice because she is not going to "turn" on the people that she feels are her family.

Just from what I have read this sounds very gang oriented and protected. She may be confused about the ultimate outcome but the prosecutors seem to be taken a harder stance. They must know more than we do or otherwise they are risking huge lawsuits.I guess we have to wait and see how this plays out.

Hi All,

All of you sure are good at picking up on so many things in these stories.
I'm really amazed at how smart all of you are.
With that said I feel this young girl is in a relationship with this guy and does not see him as a danger or she would not have remained on the streets.
Girls at that age are so easily fooled into thinking they are the one and only.
I think all of you are right in one point or another.
If this man sees himself going to prison for any length of time, he may very well want her out of the picture.
However I agree with CyberLaw concerning his statement that the LE are holding her not so much for protection, as for assurance she is in court when they call her.
It may not be necessary for her to testify when they see this young girl.
That alone may be enough to show the court.
Since the mother called the police we know that she will testify as to what she knows.
I don't know if the girl has made a statement concerning this guy, and she may not choose to speak in court.
However the judge may hold her in contempt and I say may because she has the right to plead the 5th amendment.
She may also be declared a hostel wittiness and that would open a few doors for the prosecutor.
I would like to say that all of you are sharp as a tack in your thinking and between everyone on this forum, the answers are good.

I thought I was reading another day in the life of the Baltimore Police department for a minute ..
Even in the witness protection program , they get hotel rooms . Protection , my eye .:doh:

news story
AKRON, Ohio A 14-year-old Ohio girl has been released after spending 12 days in the Summit County jail as a witness in the trial of a man accused of molesting her.

She was released Monday after the state's Ninth District Court of Appeals ruled that she should not have been held without a hearing or kept in an adult jail.

I was under the impression that a hearing had been held, an order from a Judge made, and evidence presented in court that would determine the merits of a Material Witness warrant.

So what is the next step, a hearing, and then where are they going to house the girl if a material witness warrant is re-issued.

dark_shadows said:
news story
AKRON, Ohio A 14-year-old Ohio girl has been released after spending 12 days in the Summit County jail as a witness in the trial of a man accused of molesting her.

She was released Monday after the state's Ninth District Court of Appeals ruled that she should not have been held without a hearing or kept in an adult jail.
Well, I feel vindicated.

Hoppy

Well I put money on the Prosecution is still going to have her held again on a material witness warrant, so no Cristal as yet.

The entire situation has not changed.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back