OH - Three students killed in Chardon High School shooting, 27 Feb 2012

This is the next town over from me. This is a very rural area. It's about 10 minutes, by car. The news reports we keep getting keep shifting, regarding the number of students hurt. Up to 4, as of 3 minutes ago.

I just got a call from my daughter's school, and they are on lockdown. They didn't give any specific reason why, and that upsets me. This is 3 hours after this shooting in Chardon, and the shooter (a Chardon high school student) apparently gave himself up without incident. So why, 3 hours later, are they putting another school on lockdown? I tried to call the Board of Ed (as the recording told me to do if I had questions), but it only goes to voicemail.
If you are in Medina there was an article about it upstream (if not medina maybe other local suburbs are following suite with Medina?)

medina: (updated)

Medina Schools Superintendent, Randy Stepp, sent the following letter to parents:
Good Morning,
As you may already know, there was a shooting this morning at Chardon High School in Chardon, Ohio (Geauga County). As a parent I know how concerning this type of news is for you. I want to assure you that we have your children’s safety as a high priority. Medina Police Department and Montville Township Police Department are on alert and are providing extra support to the schools to help us ensure the safety of everyone associated with the schools.
As always, it is extremely important that we all take emergency preparedness seriously. I encourage you to take some time to review with your children the seriousness of following all emergency procedures at school. It is extremely important that they do so in a very orderly and disciplined manner. If your children have questions or concerns about their role in an emergency, please encourage them to discuss this with their teacher or building principal.
I appreciate your support as we work together to do everything we can to keep your children safe.
Sincerely,
Randy Stepp
Superintendent of Schools

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/lo...rs-to-schools-for-show-of-force#ixzz1nbDqdbN0

They have a Chardon High School student on the news right now, and she knows the shooter and says the kids he shot were his friends. :(

www.fox8.com

FBI, hospitals: 5 students hurt in Ohio shooting
By THOMAS J. SHEERAN, AP
9 minutes ago

CHARDON, Ohio — An FBI spokeswoman says five students were injured when a shooter described as a classmate opened fire at an Ohio high school.

Special Agent Vicki Anderson said Monday the shooter was taken into custody near his car about half a mile away from the high school.

A spokeswoman for the Cleveland Clinic says two students were taken to the clinic's Hillcrest Hospital in suburban Cleveland.

A spokeswoman for the Cleveland MetroHealth System says an additional three students were taken to the Cleveland hospital.

There was no word on the extent of injuries...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20120227/US.School.Shooting.Ohio/?cid=hero_media

medina: (updated)

Medina Schools Superintendent, Randy Stepp, sent the following letter to parents:
Good Morning,
As you may already know, there was a shooting this morning at Chardon High School in Chardon, Ohio (Geauga County). As a parent I know how concerning this type of news is for you. I want to assure you that we have your children’s safety as a high priority. Medina Police Department and Montville Township Police Department are on alert and are providing extra support to the schools to help us ensure the safety of everyone associated with the schools.
As always, it is extremely important that we all take emergency preparedness seriously. I encourage you to take some time to review with your children the seriousness of following all emergency procedures at school. It is extremely important that they do so in a very orderly and disciplined manner. If your children have questions or concerns about their role in an emergency, please encourage them to discuss this with their teacher or building principal.
I appreciate your support as we work together to do everything we can to keep your children safe.
Sincerely,
Randy Stepp
Superintendent of Schools

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/lo...rs-to-schools-for-show-of-force#ixzz1nbDqdbN0

Just as a point of reference, Medina is a good hour, hour and a half from here.

One boy shot in head, one boy shot in ear, one boy shot in leg, one girl shot, didn't say where. (This is all from the student on Fox 8, currently).
www.fox8.com

This is the next town over from me. This is a very rural area. It's about 10 minutes, by car. The news reports we keep getting keep shifting, regarding the number of students hurt. Up to 4, as of 3 minutes ago.

I just got a call from my daughter's school, and they are on lockdown. They didn't give any specific reason why, and that upsets me. This is 3 hours after this shooting in Chardon, and the shooter (a Chardon high school student) apparently gave himself up without incident. So why, 3 hours later, are they putting another school on lockdown? I tried to call the Board of Ed (as the recording told me to do if I had questions), but it only goes to voicemail.

I am seriously thinking of going out to buy a police/fire/ems scanner.

What district are you? We're on the west side and it's business as usual here so far.

Radioreference.com has scanners you can listen to. Not all communities on there but a lot

This is about 2 hours NE of us...prayers for the students and their families. Major ((HUGS)) coming my kids' way later today.

The students were not allowed to get their cellphones out of their bookbags for about 30 minutes.

"I was desperately trying to text her," Melissa's mother, Darleen, said.

The teacher then allowed the students to crouch and get their phones. The teacher asked to use one of their smart phones, went online to read news reports and received an email from the school telling her that police were on the way. She then allowed the students to text family members.

A couple of the students had their cell phones hidden on them and sent text messages right away, Melissa said.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2012/02/mom_learns_her_daughter_was_sh.html

Wondering about the 2 suspect theory....WKYC just showed grainy video of the suspect being arrested but he looks like he has darker hair?

What district are you? We're on the west side and it's business as usual here so far.

Radioreference.com has scanners you can listen to. Not all communities on there but a lot

We're Berkshire SD....we've been listening to Radioreference, but it cuts in and out, very hard to hear/understand. I thought a trunking scanner might be better.

A Chardon High School student was slightly injured in this morning's school shooting when his ear was grazed by a bullet or burned by gunpowder, his father said.
Nate Mueller was not taken to the hospital for treatment, said Lou Mueller, who was waiting outside to pick up his son. He is otherwise OK, he said.
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2012/02/chardon_boys_ear_slightly_inju.html

---if five were transported this would mean there were actually 6 injured???

Right now they are saying the shooter had a 22mm handgun and about 10 shots were fired. The students sent to Hillcrest (2) are one girl, 18, in stable condition and 1 boy, 17, in serious condition. No report of the students that were lifeflighted to Metro

FOX just had an FBI agent on the phone. She said there would be a new conference at noon. Is Ohio on EST? If so, the PC will be in less than 15 minutes.

Nursie, from the media links you're posting - looks like it is that kid and now LE is at a relatives house in the area.

Trying to find a live link to the PC.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherriS
Back