Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

Status
Not open for further replies.
My most recent revision of one of my older recons: Buckskin Girl

1c2b2e3e-07fa-4912-97db-62fa9e636d86.jpg

I don't mean to be fussy, but that picture of Walker County Jane Doe creeps me out.

I'm really starting to think that she was Amish or from another religious community and was either on rumspringa or had recently left her community or been shunned for some reason. If so, it's likely she would have had nowhere to go and was hitchhiking, but only for a short period of time.

You know, going with that theory, Five Felines, it could be she "escaped" or "ran" from a sect or colony and they sent someone out to find her
and they beat her for leaving. That may be why there's no evidence of sexual assault; her clothes were still on, and there may be some significance
in taking her shoes. Just a thought .....

Just a bit grumpy...I put Kim Cozart up here early June and someone submitted her on June 23. I talked to the sherriff and he said someone called it in.
I hope credit is given where credit is due if this comes to fruition. Not trying to sound like a complete jerk on this but I've worked my butt off trying to
find a match for this girl and if someone else claims it....well, frustrated and sad are some of the words that come to mind. :(

Unfortunately, her NamUs profile is offline still. Date entered 6/15/2015

I understand the frustration as I'm currently in similar shoes with Mendocino females as a potential match to Kerry Graham & Francine Trimble. I had turned it into Todd Matthews of NamUs Oct 2014, but was not sure if he ever attached my name to it or not, then I forwarded everything to Carrie Sutherland who didn't answer my 1st email. Still_Seek_Answers finally called Mendocino Sheriff to let them know. I would like the credit to be on WS if they are a match; so it's important to me for that reason, plus I would be psyched to have my 1st match!

I don't mean to be fussy, but that picture of Walker County Jane Doe creeps me out.

Why? I think Carl did a great job with using her PM photo to get as accurate of a recon from it.

I'm really starting to think that she was Amish or from another religious community and was either on rumspringa or had recently left her community or been shunned for some reason. If so, it's likely she would have had nowhere to go and was hitchhiking, but only for a short period of time.

I think that we just have not found the right person that knew her just like Cali/ Tammy Alexander, Pima County AZ Jane Doe, Grateful Dead Fan possibly being Jason Callahan, Carol Anne Cole being Bossier Doe... There are a lot more that have been identified this year; BG will have her day too! We are doing everything we can on Never Forget Me to get her album shared

Buck Skin Girl Troy Ohio- April 24, 1981

I can see what you mean. There's something a little "off" about it that I can't quite put my finger on. I love Carl's recon in front of the truck stop, but the "hitchhiker" one kinda disturbs me. :(

Why? I think Carl did a great job with using her PM photo to get as accurate of a recon from it.

A lot of UIDs are being identified this year. I'm hoping Buckskin Girl will be too.

I had another really random idea.....it's possible Buckskin Girl lived on or near an Native American Reservation in the Midwest....There are "white" families who live on Reservation land b/c they bought the land cheaply & don't mind being there. Her home-made jacket & hairstyle kind of hint towards this. Also she might have not needed to live a conventional lifestyle to afford basics (maybe her partner qualified for subsidy money, *or* she or the people she was around didn't need to work a standard job to get by.)

Just a random idea. I really hate to say this but from talking to women I know now who were in the same age range as Buckskin Girl back then...a lot of them have stories of escaping abusive male partners pretty much on their own, or leaving and literally hiding out in fear of their lives. The law at the time was not aware of how to approach Domestic Violence as they do today. I personally still think this woman was a victim of an abusive partner.

edit to add- I finally scrolled through the middle of this thread & see that some here already suggested the things I posted. My apologies if I sounded like I was repeating things. I agree with the poster who thinks BG might be from the Upper Midwest (Dakotas). I am thinking about circulating pics of the jacket to Reservations in the Dakotas- several have successful hand craft businesses & an older person might recognize the jacket, or BG. I also hope the possible lead from the Troy, Ohio poster gets checked out.

Also...the wisdom teeth might narrow down her age range. In my experience if wisdom teeth are going to erupt/be a problem, they happen to do that by the late 20s. BG has a small jaw so she might have died before she was confronted with the need to have surgery or some or all of the wisdom teeth (for small jaws it is highly likely erupting teeth will become a painful problem.)

BBM. Yes, her clothes are a bit different. I can see where she might come from an area of the country or another country where there was a "delay" in fashion trends. She does seem to have stepped out of an earlier time in terms of trends. but, living somewhere where exposure to the latest and greatest is behind a few years would make sense. Lack of exposure and money.

Wisdom teeth eruption and complications...That really can depend. Some erupt in people's teens. Some just displace other teeth. Might not be a major complication.

I had another really random idea.....it's possible Buckskin Girl lived on or near an Native American Reservation in the Midwest....There are "white" families who live on Reservation land b/c they bought the land cheaply & don't mind being there. Her home-made jacket & hairstyle kind of hint towards this. Also she might have not needed to live a conventional lifestyle to afford basics (maybe her partner qualified for subsidy money, *or* she or the people she was around didn't need to work a standard job to get by.)

Just a random idea. I really hate to say this but from talking to women I know now who were in the same age range as Buckskin Girl back then...a lot of them have stories of escaping abusive male partners pretty much on their own, or leaving and literally hiding out in fear of their lives. The law at the time was not aware of how to approach Domestic Violence as they do today. I personally still think this woman was a victim of an abusive partner.

edit to add- I finally scrolled through the middle of this thread & see that some here already suggested the things I posted. My apologies if I sounded like I was repeating things. I agree with the poster who thinks BG might be from the Upper Midwest (Dakotas). I am thinking about circulating pics of the jacket to Reservations in the Dakotas- several have successful hand craft businesses & an older person might recognize the jacket, or BG. I also hope the possible lead from the Troy, Ohio poster gets checked out.

Also...the wisdom teeth might narrow down her age range. In my experience if wisdom teeth are going to erupt/be a problem, they happen to do that by the late 20s. BG has a small jaw so she might have died before she was confronted with the need to have surgery or some or all of the wisdom teeth (for small jaws it is highly likely erupting teeth will become a painful problem.)

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gomez_patricia.html

Anyway, this is a heck of a long shot, but I thought maybe she could possibly be Buckskin Girl. I could not find Patricia's DNA, dentals, or fingerprints in NamUs. She is the same height as BG, and has brown hair and brown eyes. In her photo I could see how, if her hair was braided, it could resemble BG's in terms of thickness. I think her face looks thinner than BG's, but death could change a face's look. I think the chin looks right, I'm no expert.

Probably not, seeing as she went missing in '79 and was presumed to have committed suicide shortly after. Still, I just wanted to see what other people had to say.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gomez_patricia.html

Anyway, this is a heck of a long shot, but I thought maybe she could possibly be Buckskin Girl. I could not find Patricia's DNA, dentals, or fingerprints in NamUs. She is the same height as BG, and has brown hair and brown eyes. In her photo I could see how, if her hair was braided, it could resemble BG's in terms of thickness. I think her face looks thinner than BG's, but death could change a face's look. I think the chin looks right, I'm no expert.

Probably not, seeing as she went missing in '79 and was presumed to have committed suicide shortly after. Still, I just wanted to see what other people had to say.

Welcome to Ws. Springrain, thanks for chiming in with an interesting possibility!

:welcome:

Welcome to Ws. Springrain, thanks for chiming in with an interesting possibility!

:welcome:

Thanks for the warm welcome! I can't wait to get involved in the UID forum.

Also, I was thinking about the buckskin jacket. A few people up here were saying that the purple satin lining made it look more feminine, as opposed to a unisex jacket as was also suggested. That seems to make sense to me. What I was wondering, however, is how the jacket appeared to fit her. Did it fit her snugly, as if it was custom-made by herself or a family member, perhaps? Or was in a bit more baggy, as if it was one-size-fits all? (Forgive me if a mention of the fit was already made; I couldn't find anything on the sections of this thread that I read).

I was also wondering how the wear was on the jacket. In the photo, it looks fairly new. I wonder, do they still have the jacket? Or was it lost, like Walker County Jane Doe's pendant?

Another long shot, but: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/stanton_delores.html

BG's height estimate seems to be varying (most of the time it's 5'6 but I could swear I have seen 5'4--correct me if I'm wrong, please!). Delores was listed at 5'2 but it could be a smallish discrepancy. Weight could also be off too, who knows. The thing that got me was overall face shape, I think it looks similar. I could see her hair looking like BG's if braided. She had brown hair and brown eyes as well. In the left photo it looks a bit lighter/redder but black and white photos are not necessarily super reliable. She was even wearing a poncho when she went missing, she may have liked ponchos like the buckskin one. No mention of scars, and none of her DNA, dentals or fingerprints are available.

Anyway, I feel as if it's likely not her--but I just wanted to be sure. (Maybe she is Rancho Cucamonga Jane Doe).

This might be a small point but all the sources call the outer garment a poncho. It's not a poncho. Ponchos don't have sleeves. BG was wearing a pullover jacket. Fringed suede jackets were real popular in the 70s & 80s (pullover, zippered, snap-front) and I don't think this one is as unique as it's made to sound. There's one for sale on Etsy for, believe it or not, a cool $1450.00 USD that's a ringer for BG's. No mention of a lining on the Etsy jacket and I don't see one but I don't see one on BG's either.

attachment.php

https://www.etsy.com/listing/203393861/vintage-fringe-jacket-mens-suede?ref=market

Thanks for the info. WDYT as to the possible match?

its the way her mouth looks. Carl did a great job w all of her recons but in the profile morgue pick you can see how slack her mouth is and in this recon you can also see that slack mouth.

I can see what you mean. There's something a little "off" about it that I can't quite put my finger on. I love Carl's recon in front of the truck stop, but the "hitchhiker" one kinda disturbs me. :(

Personally, I like the hitchhiking reconstruction a lot. I used it as one of the three main reconstructions on my website about Walker County Jane Doe. But, I digress.

I think BG was wearing shoes outside, and then took them off inside. She may have kept the jacket on because her house didn't have heating. The average weather in OH that month was about 60 degrees, and houses can get chilly under those conditions. From there, a fight ensued, that resulted in her being beaten to death...I think this was a domestic abuse incident, an end product stemming from an abusive relationship. That could possibly explain those smaller scars, though I tend to think she may have worked on a farm. That makes sense with me, having scars, ruddy complexion. She may have worked somewhere like Botkins, I think that's rural? From my understanding, they're only about 1/2 hour away. He could drive to Troy to dump her body, thinking of something, like the patch of land next to where he went to high school or something (just made that up).

As for braids, it seems more likely that she just liked her hair that way. From my understanding, the braids were redone at the autopsy--correct me if I'm wrong, though. And I wouldn't read too much into the lack of underwear. I think some girls just didn't want the line showing.

This might be a small point but all the sources call the outer garment a poncho. It's not a poncho. Ponchos don't have sleeves. BG was wearing a pullover jacket. Fringed suede jackets were real popular in the 70s & 80s (pullover, zippered, snap-front) and I don't think this one is as unique as it's made to sound. There's one for sale on Etsy for, believe it or not, a cool $1450.00 USD that's a ringer for BG's. No mention of a lining on the Etsy jacket and I don't see one but I don't see one on BG's either.

attachment.php

https://www.etsy.com/listing/203393861/vintage-fringe-jacket-mens-suede?ref=market

I live in Sweden but I bought one of these in 2001 from a native man who told me that his tribe back in Mexico made them.

Not Amish, although the schnozz does look about right for Amish. Those are not Amish braids, and just because someone left the church doesn't mean everyone isn't keeping track of that someone.

I too would like to know how the pullover fit her. Was it hers? A boyfriend's? A hand me down?

I've seen a lot of people expressing dislike for that recon; however, we have to keep in mind that that is what actually happened. As disturbing as it might be, it is the reality of the situation :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA