GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #9

From same article:

"Once additional charges are filed, Malek said it could be up to the Knox County Commissioners as to how Hoffman’s defense proceeds.In the event that murder charges are filed, former county public defender Rick Mayhew is available for consultation, Malek said. Mayhew is certified as the first chair for indigent death penalty cases. Malek said he is certified as second chair.
If a capital murder case is filed, the county commissioners would then be responsible in contracting for the case.“Hopefully, these cases don’t occur very often. We believe that to keep an attorney on a retainer would be more costly than to use their services on an individual basis,” said Knox County Commissioner Allen Stockberger."

interesting. His fate is in the hands of the county?

It sounds like this county doesn't keep public defenders on retainer specifically for death penalty cases (because they rarely have those cases and it would be too costly). The county commissioners hire (contract) one of these two certified attorneys when the need does arise. I doubt the commissioners were the ones who certified them, that was probably county or state law enforcement (DA, AG, etc.). But the article isn't clear about that.

This is such a mystifying case! And what is up with the pile of clothing set on fire under the porch? Was that evidence someone's trying to get rid of? Because who stores piles of clothing under their porch??

I still think when MH went into the house the first time TH was the only one there. Once he had done away with her, he had some time in the house before SS arrived. And was able to familiarize himself if necessary.

But also in knowing that he was a burglar at one point. He may of very well been in the house before, possibly when they were all out of town or something. He had been watching them for a while.

He may of done the “ransacking” that is spoken of. But that doesn’t sound like MH. Seems like his MO would have been less obvious, so he could return without suspicion.

TH & GB bought the house in 2007, Hoffman moved to Ohio, to his parents home in 2007 after he was released on parole
Depending on the time over lap here if there was one, possibly MH had moved to his parents in 2007 before TH & GB had bought the home. MH could have even been in it in 2007 when it was still empty, previous to TH & GB purchasing it. Sounds like something he would of done while out snooping around.

BBM - Maybe he viewed the house whilst he was looking for somewhere to live. Maybe the family purchased it before he could (possible motive?).

All speculation on my part but possible nonetheless

WBNS reported on the noon newscast that the Ohio State Fire Marshall's Office has ruled that arson as the cause of the small fire Monday evening at Tina Herrmann's home.

Source: http://www.10tv.com/live/content/lo.../story-herrmann-fire-ruled-arson.html?sid=102

Thanks for posting that nerosleuth - A "side" article caught my attention about an escapee convicted for escaping a correctional faciltiy - Couldn't help but think of MH and how this is one guy, under no circumstances, do you want escaping from custody. I do hope that LE is, and will continue to be, extra-extra cautious with him.

JMO ~

...(snipped)...
For Sarah's sake, I would go with LWOP, but prepfer the DP.
He's only 30...........(snipped)...

I wonder what Sarah wants? If it were me, I'd want him dead. I don't think having him behind prison walls would be enough guaranteed security for me to sleep peacefully at night. Of course, she may just want to go on with her life. Tough call.

we don't know if he committed "a" single arson or if just got caught once.....I am using my imagination that he might have left dna of some "sort" in that apartment he burglarized....if you know what I mean....and he thought a fire would be the only way to get rid of it...

BBM - Maybe he viewed the house whilst he was looking for somewhere to live. Maybe the family purchased it before he could (possible motive?).

All speculation on my part but possible nonetheless

Yes, it certainly is possible!

its a terrible burden an anyone let alone a 13 yro old kid to decide life or death for somebody else.....the DA should lay the info out for the family to see...including Stephanies family, and got from there....perhaps Sarah won't need to testify...

13 yros old.....can you imagine...???

JVM: Is Someone Else Involved?

TH (D-Attorney) raises the question of whether someone else was involved based on the fire started under the porch at TH. Panel investigator (not involved in this case) was asked what he thought of that - agreed, it could be a possibility.

Although I don't think so, it would certainly change things.

<modsnip>....Not trying to upset anyone - but do we really think he just stumbled on to that tree? Or was that exact tree part of his pre-plan?

Zoomom, I had the same question. I did a bit of driving today and I had the problem of looking at about a million trees as I drove. Finding a tree like that to hide 3 bodies in would be a challenge. IMHO he KNEW when he went to the house what he was going to do.

I still think when MH went into the house the first time TH was the only one there. Once he had done away with her, he had some time in the house before SS arrived. And was able to familiarize himself if necessary.

I agree.... I think MH got in the house early in the day and was there when TH arrived at home. I do not think he killed her right away, however. Sarah said she saw her Mom in the house.... I think her Mom was probably incapacitated, i.e. bound and gagged at that point. Sorry.... I do not mean to be graphic, but it just makes sense with the few facts we know and with the type of personality MH appears to be. :(

Sorry but I haven't been here, been so busy but how did the 10yo die?? It was just on NG and it showed he had smaller non fatal stabbed wounds. OMG this is so horrible.

Sorry but I haven't been here, been so busy but how did the 10yo die?? It was just on NG and it showed he had smaller non fatal stabbed wounds. OMG this is so horrible.

Hi Trigger.... from my understanding, all 3 were killed by multple stab wounds to their back and chest area with other "small, non-fatal wounds". I don't even want to think what those might have been..... :eek:

I agree.... I think MH got in the house early in the day and was there when TH arrived at home. I do not think he killed her right away, however. Sarah said she saw her Mom in the house.... I think her Mom was probably incapacitated, i.e. bound and gagged at that point. Sorry.... I do not mean to be graphic, but it just makes sense with the few facts we know and with the type of personality MH appears to be. :(
Reannan - that's what I think probably happened, too (from what we know so far.) What I can't figure out is why? why? why? Tonite on JVM the guests seemed to think his main focus was SM, and the others were collateral damage so he could have SM all to himself. Personally I'm not so sure about that myself. If that were the case - why not just try to kidnap SM only in the first place?? Why commit all that carnage and leave evidence to boot???? To me it was just TOO much for a single kidnapping. That's really idiotic/heinous and makes no sense to me(imo). It seems to me a lot of these murderers consider themselves some kind of "clever masterminds" with all their plotting and figuring and buying tarps, moving vehicles, etc. You would think they would be smart enough to know they WILL be caught and the only thing waiting for them is the DP or LWOP.

Re: fire

When I was reading back on some FB posts, there was a discussion about what "should" be done with that house. Lots of talk about it needing torn down. Emotions are high locally, and perhaps someone thought they could solve that 'problem'.

One thing I took note of in that discussion though, was that someone said that this isn't the first 'tragedy' that happened in that house. I looked up the former owner's name and tried to do a search myself, but could someone with better sleuthing skills then myself possibly track anything down on this mystery "tragedy"?

481 King Beach Drive - "sales"

9/28/1992 - Seller: Gravel, Conrad & Natalie Buyer: State of Ohio "Land Only"

6/7/1994 - Seller: State of Ohio Buyer: Mickley, Todd & Tisha (Auditor Deed)

4/30/1998 - Seller: Mickley, Todd & Tisha Buyer: Mickley, Tisha (Affidavit, Land Sale Only? No)

6/19/2007 - Seller: Mickley, Tisha Buyer: Borders, Gregory & Herrmann, Tina R.

Details contained on county site indicate that the house was built in 1994. Change of ownership in 1998, taking Todd off of deed.

One other note that is probably not relevant to the question, but thought I'd mention: When searching "Mickley" in the county, there is a LOT of land/property owned under that name (lots of family in area).

Appears to me something may have happened to Todd Hinkley, while living at that address (either that or the change of ownership was due to divorce). "Tragedy" could refer to an accident or some might consider an early (health related) death a "tragedy" perhaps.

http://www.knoxcountyauditor.org/Search.aspx

Arrested in Co. 2001
6 years in jail
Moved to Ohio 2007
He had paid about $4,800 toward $2.06 million in restitution (approx 150 per month)
Which he had to have done or it would have been a parole violation. Must have had scheduled visits with PO, and some home visits as well.
Off of parole last month but, not free of restitution.

Hoffman's neighbors along Columbus Road said that he moved into the five-bedroom home about a year ago - 2009 (approx mortgage on 30,000 +/- payments 500 to 700 hundred month? Depending on variables)

Mother said he hasn’t lived with them for two years

Owned a car

Only one job known so far with Fast Eddies? For 3 weeks?

Who’s been paying his bills?? Likely amounting to +/- $1000.00 a month minimum.
Did other odd jobs? Plumbing maybe? Tree trimming maybe?
Played with neighborhood kids, swung on ropes in trees, etc….
Seems to me there would be more people around there that knew MH.
I wonder what the inside of MH’s house looks like? A girl and her 8 year old son lived there at some point?
Psychopaths can be excellent at deceiving people, even the people that are treating them, if they are receiving treatment.

Neighbor said he was good with computers, wonder did LE confiscate one? And what’s on it?
Computer at parents home?
Neighbor said she saw pictures on his cell phone, does LE have that too? And what’s on it?

To many unanswered questions.

I'm hoping that LE has a lot of evidence in this case, and with overwhelming evidence, the defense might just plead guilty. That would save Sarah from having to face MH and testify to what she saw.

In a small town/area, the same few realtors sell most of the homes.

Sam Miller probably has "top sales" in the area, but just from personal observation, most are in Mt. Vernon (town). But he does list someproperty in Apple Valley also, so I wasn't surprised to see both houses listed by him. When I first moved here and was looking at houses, even I talked to him. Very nice, helpful guy.

Until recently, a great majority of the listings in AV were by Apple Cove Realty (started about the time AV was being developed to focus on AV), but the broker had been sick and died this year.

TH and GB's house was purchased in 2007. MH did not buy his house until Nov. 2009, so I'm doubting they were looking in the same timeframe.

Re: fire

When I was reading back on some FB posts, there was a discussion about what "should" be done with that house. Lots of talk about it needing torn down. Emotions are high locally, and perhaps someone thought they could solve that 'problem'.

One thing I took note of in that discussion though, was that someone said that this isn't the first 'tragedy' that happened in that house. I looked up the former owner's name and tried to do a search myself, but could someone with better sleuthing skills then myself possibly track anything down on this mystery "tragedy"?

481 King Beach Drive - "sales"

9/28/1992 - Seller: Gravel, Conrad & Natalie Buyer: State of Ohio "Land Only"

6/7/1994 - Seller: State of Ohio Buyer: Mickley, Todd & Tisha (Auditor Deed)

4/30/1998 - Seller: Mickley, Todd & Tisha Buyer: Mickley, Tisha (Affidavit, Land Sale Only? No)

6/19/2007 - Seller: Mickley, Tisha Buyer: Borders, Gregory & Herrmann, Tina R.

Details contained on county site indicate that the house was built in 1994. Change of ownership in 1998, taking Todd off of deed.

One other note that is probably not relevant to the question, but thought I'd mention: When searching "Mickley" in the county, there is a LOT of land/property owned under that name (lots of family in area).

Appears to me something may have happened to Todd Hinkley, while living at that address (either that or the change of ownership was due to divorce). "Tragedy" could refer to an accident or some might consider an early (health related) death a "tragedy" perhaps.

http://www.knoxcountyauditor.org/Search.aspx

I did a quick google search, this was the first link. It appears as an accident, so nothing as malicious as what recently occurred there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back