OH - Up for Parole Child Killer... *extremely disturbing*

It's so heartbreaking that families of victims have to keep going to parole hearings year after year just to keep the killers of their loved ones locked up as long as possible. We need to abolish parole and attempted murder should be treated the same as murder,same action,same intent...the only difference between the two is the victim being able to survive.

You know what else frightens me?

It's that he was able to trick Sara's father into trusting him. He was just a neighbor kid, that the Sara's father got to know, and spent some time with. Kevin (Sara's dad) felt comfortable enough to leave his two small children with this monster, and never had reason to imagine what would happen to his daughter.

Given the fact that Billy Jo Shafer admitted to planning this rape and murder for at least a week prior to committing the acts, it scares me senseless.

OMG! How in Gods name could he get such a light sentence?!? We need to find a way to push for laws making murder automatic DP or at least LWOP.

I personally don't care if he's a teenager when he committed the crime,he was old enough to know what he was doing was horrific,vicious and cruel. Try these sorts of monsters as adults and give them full adult sentences, IMO!:furious:

I went to the website ( www.blockparole.com ), and filled out/signed the petition form protesting this monster's release. My boyfriend and daughter will do it tomorrow- along with every friend I can contact.

This crime was not only heartbreaking, it was truly horrific.

This sociopath was only 16 years old (in human years) when he tortured, raped, mutilated and murdered 5 year old Sara... but, evil is ageless.

I fear that these years of incarceration have done nothing but give him time to create even more sexually deviant fantasies. I have no doubt he will be anxious to act out these murderous blood-lust fantasies.

When it is considered that at the age of 12 years, he stabbed his sleeping 6 year old brother with a knife- while the young child slept- it becomes obvious the night little Sara was butchered was not an isolated incident brought on by a normal teenager sniffing glue, drinking beer and watching horror flicks on tv.

No, he was a thrill killer at sixteen, and will remain a thrill killer until the day he dies.

I pray to God that this criminal is never released from prison- until the day he is carried out in a body bag.

(He reminds me of Richard Ramirez, the 'Night Stalker' who terrorized Southern California during the 1980's).

You weren't kidding. And they weren't kidding that this would raise my blood pressure. Well, I signed all 3. Wish I could get rid of these monsters myself especially Shafer.

I have experience with the parole board (in Texas.)
Some of you have said you don't believe he will be paroled, and IMO, you are correct. Sentences have built-in parole hearings, and I truly believe this is what is happening.
To make a very long and painful story short, my brother's wife decided she wanted his insurance money, so her boyfriend stabbed him 4 times. While in prison, B/F contacted a hit man to kill him-and sent him to her. I saw the undercover tape. She'd decided by then not only did my brother need killing, but my elderly parents as well. (She thought they had a safe w/valuables.)
BF sentenced to 40 years, she was sentenced to 20. After about 3 or 4, she came up for parole! In Texas, we are not allowed to appear before the parole board-one must write a letter. We have gone through this about 6 or 8 times since 1998. I fully expected them to release her last year, but they didn't. She has, according to the records, been granted 'fairly high status' as an inmate, and having served over 1/2 of her term, I just knew they would let her go.
Write the letters, and give 'em hell. But don't expect them to let him out. They've heard it all and know what to expect from these criminals.
Most of all, keep the faith.

I'm so sorry. God Bless you for all you had to go through and everyday dealing with this.

I can't believe what I just read in the opening post of this crime. I thought Jessica Lunsford's killer was the worst. I was wrong.

Please please parole board don't let this waste of human flesh out.

It's so heartbreaking that families of victims have to keep going to parole hearings year after year just to keep the killers of their loved ones locked up as long as possible. We need to abolish parole and attempted murder should be treated the same as murder,same action,same intent...the only difference between the two is the victim being able to survive.

BBM

I never understood the logic behind getting a lighter sentence for being incompetent.

BBM

I never understood the logic behind getting a lighter sentence for being incompetent.

Me neither.
Why do you get out into public sooner because you can't comprehend the rape or murder or theft is wrong...just as dangerous as those that know and don't care.

I'm amazed this crime never got more national attention. It's pretty much just a local story. Most of the country doesn't know who he is, or that there is even a parole hearing (until WS came along, anyways!) You'd think the national media would have covered a story this horrific back when it happened.

Here's another case about child murderers.

Eric Smith Case

Smith's case was one of the cases that precipitated changes in the laws for juvenile offenders. "The state later boosted the maximum sentence for a juvenile age 14 or 15 convicted of murder to 15 years to life. Adults convicted of murder in New York face a maximum sentence of 25 years to life."
However, now they (different states) are rethinking this. Because of new research on adolescent brains, studies indicate that teens who go through the adult court processes, end up worse than those who do not. "They get in trouble more often, they do it faster and the offenses are more serious."
The District Attorney that prosecuted Smith, John C. Tunney, still feels that the punishment Smith was given is appropriate. Tunney said,

"Take somebody like Eric Smith, who brutally murdered a defenseless child. I'm hard-pressed to think of a better way to deal with such a person. This is a person from whom we in the community need protection."

Tunney said that he doesn't think that the current sentencing laws need to be changed, even though many of the laws that were passed in the 1990s carried penalties of life without parole.

CBS News: Why Did Eric Kill?

Hello group- I signed the petition -posted the link on topix, along with a warning to the reader.
wondering where else to circulate the link.
I was not able to read the story, keeping up with everyone's posts I get the idea.
My words fail me, literally...

This is a quote from the link that 'Eleven" posted earlier on this thread... I think this pretty much says it all in terms of this 's future plans...

"Sara's brother, Seth - then 3 years old - was at the 2555 Ridge Road residence at the time the crime was committed around midnight, but was unharmed. According to West, Shafer made it known his only regret that evening was that he "didn't have time to do Seth."

I'm sending my letter in the morning mail....

What is all the fuss about? These hearings are automatic, it doesn't mean he is getting out, or that they are even considering it. Unless there has been some dramatic turnabout in his personality, the chances of this guy ever being released are non-existant, no matter how many parole hearings he gets. Like Charles Manson, he's never getting out. Or that female associate of his that recently died, she was on her deathbed and denied.

What is all the fuss about? These hearings are automatic, it doesn't mean he is getting out, or that they are even considering it. Unless there has been some dramatic turnabout in his personality, the chances of this guy ever being released are non-existant, no matter how many parole hearings he gets. Like Charles Manson, he's never getting out. Or that female associate of his that recently died, she was on her deathbed and denied.

I think the "fuss" is about the fact that he was only 16 when he committed these horrible acts. For instance, had he been in his 20's, a mere four years later, I believe his sentence would have been death. If that state has the death penalty (or lwop). So the fuss, is that there is concern the age of the perp will come into play again.... at some point. It should not, and it should not have in his initial sentencing. The person is evil. As evil as evil gets and sometimes I think our system really doesn't know what to do with truly evil people. Our system is designed to reform and rehabilitate it's prisoners, especially those of a young age. I personally wish there was some remote island we could send all these evil people to and just let them have their fun on one another. Anyway, Natal, THAT'S the concern and it doesn't hurt to just let the parole board know that we all feel this person, strike that, this animal, cannot be reformed, ever, no matter how young he was or how old he gets! JMO

Just when I think I've read the worst of what people can do to each other - something like this comes along. Horrifying. I've sent my email, sent the online submission and will be writing a hard copy letter to mail to the Parole Board. This "man" needs to remain right where he is now for the rest of his miserable life. Thanks for bringing this hearing to our attention. I'm sure the outpouring of letters, emails etc will help ensure that he remains in prison at least until his next (gag) parole hearing. A shame they have to waste time and manpower on parole hearings for a like this.

I've been on this site over 5 years and have read about enough people getting out and paroled despite committing horrible crimes, only to commit another crime after being paroled, that there is no way I trust the parole board to just "automatically" deny his parole. ESPECIALLY since he was a minor at the time. Some bleeding hearts on the board might think he is all grown up now and deserves a second chance as an adult, or something like that. You just never know.

Bottom line is that we have seen dangerous people go free before, and we are not about to trust the system. So our input is needed and valuable to ensure the safety of society.

With all due respect, parole boards are unpredictable. They could vote to let this guy out, you just never know. I wouldn't want to take a chance that this parole board could decide to let this monster out. I think the more fuss about his upcoming hearing, the better. JMO, IMO, MOO and all other disclaimers.

Manson was a famous case,the public is/was aware of it and there WAS a huge outcry when Atkins tried to get released on "compassionate" grounds. She may have gotten it if nobody spoke up.

With cases that are not famous there's no opportunity for the public to speak up so (because we aren't aware of the situation) it's a roll of the dice what the parole board is going to do, especially since he didn't even receive LWOP in the first place.

Prison overcrowding,him having been a minor when the crime was committed and nobody but the victims family protesting his release could have been the needed combonation to see this monster go free to kill again.

Oh and it shouldn't be up to just the victims families to speak up to keep these killers in prison,it's up to us,society,as well.

Sent my message to the parole board against this monster ever being paroled. If the parole board does grant parole, I wonder if they are willing to accept responsibility for his next sexual assault/murder which will definitely come.
We need to let the non-violent perps out on parole, and keep anyone who has committed a serious crime against another person. JMOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back