Ohio: East Palestine Train Derailment, Risk of Explosion

Interesting article from Modern Materials Handling magazine (science journal)

Here's a link to the NTSB update referenced by the AAR in the article:

"On Feb. 3, at approximately 8:54 p.m., local time, eastbound Norfolk Southern Railway, general merchandise freight train 32N, derailed on main track 1 in East Palestine, Ohio. As a result of the derailment, 38 rail cars derailed and a fire ensued which damaged an additional 12 cars. There were 20 total hazardous material cars in the train consist—11 of which derailed. A list of what the derailed rail cars were carrying is available online. There were no reported fatalities or injuries...." More at link.

It seems 20 cars of hazmat wouldn't have made up a third of this train. Of those 20 cars of hazmat, only 11 derailed, but that was still not good, especially when a fire is involved.

Here's the link NTSB posted that show information about the 38 cars that were involved in the accident, 11 of which were hazmat.

Risks for chemical spills are high, but here's how to protect yourself​

February 18, 20237:01 AM ET

Questions linger over the potential health and environmental impact of the derailment of a train carrying hazardous chemicals near East Palestine, Ohio, earlier this month.

Some residents have reported headaches and rashes in the aftermath of the incident and have grown frustrated with the response from the rail company, Norfolk Southern, and public officials.

The Environmental Protection Agency maintains that the air is safe and that the agency is continuing to monitor the situation. The EPA says levels of the chemical causing the reportedly noxious smell are not high enough to impact the community's health.

Haven’t read every article on this thread so maybe Ohio’s past train derailments were already mentioned but thought that it’s worth linking a few earlier articles.

This really needs to be a wake up call and change is needed. IMO.

Timeline: 1986 fiery train derailment in Miamisburg​

Story by Sarah Bean • May 17, 2022

MIAMISBURG, Ohio (WDTN) – A recent train derailment sent 27 railcars off the track in Clark County. Thankfully, no one was injured in the accident, but the same can’t be said for a similar incident in the Miami Valley decades ago.

Come with us to 1986, when a train went off the tracks in Miamisburg, forcing thousands out of their homes.

It was just before 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, July 8 when a 15-car CSX Transportation Co. train carrying white phosphorus, among other materials suddenly derailed. Six cars pile up on a bridge over Bear Creek and one car ruptured, exposing its extremely volatile cargo to the air.

Phosphorus instantly burns when exposed to the air, and with 12,000 gallons of it on board, the fire would have enough fuel to burn for days.

Short version:​

Miamisburg, Ohio, Train Derailment​

Thank you for the clarification on the number of cars @Betty P . I had read it incorrectly.

Not your fault. A lot of news media stories are getting statistics messed up. It's a complicated topic to report on and one most reporters aren't familiar with.

Here's another analysis

It's not every day one gets to correct the Washington Post, but it looks like today's the day:

Salem is 20 miles west of EP, not east. The train was traveling east.
Even Google Maps had it wrong. The first couple times I searched E. Palestine, it brought up a town outside of Dayton, on the other side of the state. E. Palestine is very close to the Pennsylvania border. The chemical cloud from the explosion, burn and second planned release all drifted towards the Pittsburgh area.

I just saw a tv interview with one of the residents who said her daughter and grandchildren had been diagnosed with chemical burns on their lungs. She only had enough money for one more night at an out of town motel.

Why can't we take care of our people?

Last edited:
A security camera captured the Norfolk Southern train near Salem, Ohio, 20 miles west of the site where it later derailed. What appears to be sparks and flames can be seen underneath one of the cars. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has since said that the derailment appears to have been caused by a mechanical problem on one car, saying a wheel bearing on that car appeared to have overheated.

Feb. 19, 2023​

VIEW LATEST UPDATES HERE

A Message from Alan Shaw, Norfolk Southern CEO

We will not walk away, East Palestine.
When I visited East Palestine last week, you told me how the train derailment has upended your lives and how concerned you are about the safety of your air, water, and land. Many of you have also reached out to Norfolk Southern to share your fears, your anger, and your frustration.
I hear you. We hear you.
I know you also have questions about whether Norfolk Southern will be here to help make things right.
My simple answer is that we are here and will stay here for as long as it takes to ensure your safety and to help East Palestine recover and thrive.
Our work is underway. Crews are cleaning the site thoroughly, responsibly, and safely. Our Family Assistance Center is helping community members meet immediate needs. Together with local health officials, we have implemented a comprehensive testing program to ensure the safety of East Palestine’s water, air, and soil. And we have established a $1 million community support fund as a down payment on our commitment to help rebuild.
But our work is far from over. As we continue site clean-up, the NTSB moves forward with its investigation, and necessary environmental testing is carried out, I promise to keep you updated every step of the way.
I know there are still a lot of questions without answers. I know you’re tired. I know you’re worried. We will not let you down.
signature-1024x195.png

A security camera captured the Norfolk Southern train near Salem, Ohio, 20 miles west of the site where it later derailed. What appears to be sparks and flames can be seen underneath one of the cars. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has since said that the derailment appears to have been caused by a mechanical problem on one car, saying a wheel bearing on that car appeared to have overheated.

Interesting. It appears the "hot box" was on a covered hopper, not one of the tank cars. Wouldn't matter; when the train derails, drags cars with flammable or combustible liquids, the sparks from the metal cars & steel wheels scraping on the rails will throw sparks enough to start a fire.

The news report below says the train passed 2 detectors between Alliance, OH and E. Palestine. The NTSB investigation will determine if the detectors or alarm malfunctioned or if crews made a mistake, or if it was some other problem.

Last edited:
I just came across this video made by a railroad employee for Cumberland Mine RR, a private rail line serving a coal mine.

He shows how modern "defect detectors" work, how they mess up and how they're monitored. He's using a lot of technical jargon, but its helpful. Later, he speculates about how things might have happened in the E. Palestine, OH derailment. He's very clear that he's just discussing a possible scenario and that the facts will come out in the NTSB report.

Mods, check this and delete if you don't approve. TIA

Risks for chemical spills are high, but here's how to protect yourself​

February 18, 20237:01 AM ET

Questions linger over the potential health and environmental impact of the derailment of a train carrying hazardous chemicals near East Palestine, Ohio, earlier this month.

Some residents have reported headaches and rashes in the aftermath of the incident and have grown frustrated with the response from the rail company, Norfolk Southern, and public officials.

The Environmental Protection Agency maintains that the air is safe and that the agency is continuing to monitor the situation. The EPA says levels of the chemical causing the reportedly noxious smell are not high enough to impact the community's health.
Bolding mine.
I'd like to believe that the EPA is correct in their assessment ?
However --- if there's a strong risk of developing cancer, those affected may be hesitant to return to their homes.

Last edited:
Bedford OH - in the Cleveland suburb of Oakwood Village

An explosion tore through an Ohio metals plant on Monday, scattering molten metal and debris that rained down on neighboring buildings and injuring at least 14 people, mostly with burns, officials and witnesses said.

The blast sent smoke billowing into the sky that could be seen for miles around the damaged factory about 15 miles (24 km) southeast of Cleveland.

The explosion of unknown origin at the I. Schumann & Co. metals plant in Bedford drew fire departments from throughout northeast Ohio.

Oakwood Fire Department Captain Brian DiRocco addressed the media on scene, saying 13 people were taken to hospital, many of them with burn wounds, and one more was being treated on site.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230220-231518.png
    Screenshot_20230220-231518.png
    709.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads