OJ Simpson dead at 76, after short battle with prostate cancer

OJ was likeable and charming on TV ~ before the murders. I remember those commercials of him running through the airport leaping over chairs.

I was an older college student during the time of the murders and the trial. I saw the Bronco chase. I saw a little bit of the trial and news highlights here and there.

I watched the reading of the verdict live on a college campus TV. There are two things that I have always remembered, through the years, about that verdict reading. The judge being so shocked, and Ron Goldman's sister crying. I can still hear her crying.

OJ was likeable and charming on TV ~ before the murders. I remember those commercials of him running through the airport leaping over chairs.

I was an older college student during the time of the murders and the trial. I saw the Bronco chase. I saw a little bit of the trial and news highlights here and there.

I watched the reading of the verdict live on a college campus TV. There are two things that I have always remembered, through the years, about that verdict reading. The judge being so shocked, and Ron Goldman's sister crying. I can still hear her crying.
Bbm.
Hertz commercials ?

Eta : Yep.

His estate now needs to pay the families of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson the monies that were awarded for the wrongful death lawsuit.
Omo.

Last edited:

Yes, and I also seem to recall that one of his attorneys, I believe the late Robert Kardashian perhaps, IMO almost seemed to be stunned in disbelief of the jury’s verdict - or at least something akin to that based on the look displayed on his face as the verdict was read? (There are videos out there to explore, some on FB and others that I cannot link here.) MOO

Despite previous failings, Cook said the family is looking at hiring attorneys in Nevada, Florida and California to “determine what can be done." He said the first step is figuring out where Simpson’s money will go after his death and figuring out how much money he is passing on.

The 1995 trial was one of the biggest miscarriages of justice in history. This perp. brutally murdered two people in cold blood & got off scot-free. This is despite a plethora of DNA evidence/blood evidence/physical evidence/a documented history of domestic abuse towards one of the victims/etc.

It's good that this trial was televised, if only to prove how much of a joke & a farce this was - ridiculous.
There seems to be some unwritten rule that allows high profile sports stars to skate on crimes they've committed. Jim Brown, who also had a history of physical abuse towards women, was accused of throwing his girlfriend off a balcony but when the cops came, she said she fell. He was accused by his second wife of trying to kill her but then she recanted. He had numerous incidents of physical assault that seemed to disappear.

There was something about OJ that had everyone overlooking his faults; was it his good looks, his physical prowess, or his charm? I still believe he was guilty as sin and I also believe he was 100% convinced he would be acquitted because of his high profile.

Sometimes the public has this unnerving reaction to high profile crimes. People were pulling for the guys who stole 6 million pounds in the Great Train Robbery. The public loved how Bonnie and Clyde always seemed to be one step ahead of the law.

High profile killers get lots of fan mail.

Domestic violence thirty years ago I guess was not really a "national conversation" and pretty much seemingly swept under the rug.
So here we are thirty years later...and imo women as a population are still marginalized by society and by some of those in authority. LE, legal people, politicians, clergy etc look the other way, especially in certain regions of the US and certainly in countries outside the US. Many don't consider domestic violence a big deal. We see it on these pages all the time.
As long as society stacks the power dynamic in men's favor not much IMO is going to change. As a matter of fact all I see are efforts to turn back the clock where women had even less control of their own bodies and life.
ALL JMO

I remember exactly where I was & what I was doing when the "innocent" verdict was read on TV in Fall 1995: I was a college student ATT & was walking across campus. In one of the campus buildings I was walking past (which was a distance away) - I suddenly & unexpectedly heard the sound of extremely loud cheering coming from inside the building. And, even though I wasn't in that building & hadn't watched TV at all that day (nor was I really following the trial that Fall), I immediately knew why they were cheering.

I wonder if all of those people cheering really thought he was actually innocent ATT. And, even if they did - if they were asked now, would they feel the same way?!
He wasn't found innocent; he was found not guilty, which isn't the same thing.

Domestic violence thirty years ago I guess was not really a "national conversation" and pretty much seemingly swept under the rug.
So here we are thirty years later...and imo women as a population are still marginalized by society and by some of those in authority. LE, legal people, politicians, clergy etc look the other way, especially in certain regions of the US and certainly in countries outside the US. Many don't consider domestic violence a big deal. We see it on these pages all the time.
As long as society stacks the power dynamic in men's favor not much IMO is going to change. As a matter of fact all I see are efforts to turn back the clock where women had even less control of their own bodies and life.
ALL JMO
I was an adult 30 years ago, and it WAS discussed extensively, and dealt with too. I do agree, we have a long way to go.

Don't forget that it's also a huge problem in the LGBT+ community.

I was an adult 30 years ago, and it WAS discussed extensively, and dealt with too. I do agree, we have a long way to go.

Don't forget that it's also a huge problem in the LGBT+ community.
Thanks for the info in the second paragraph. I had not realized that domestic violence was also a large problem in that community.

ALL JMO
I think the only people who feel that domestic violence is not a "big deal" are the people who commit these acts of violence.

As a man I have to disagree that today's society stacks the power dynamic in men's favor. JMO.

Good question. The family would have to request an autopsy to determine whether or not OJ suffered from CTE.

Diagnosis and Treatment​

At this time, no treatment for CTE is available. Researchers are conducting studies to better understand the development, progression, risk factors and diagnosis of this condition. CTE is only diagnosed definitively by studying brain tissue after death. Investigators are working to identify methods and biomarkers that would allow health care professionals to diagnose CTE In living subjects.
BetteDavisEyes, thank you so much for posting the above link. Like I said above, I think OJ suffered from CTE. We know that Aaron Hernandez did and he was only 27 when he died. OJ took his fair share of hits to the head while playing football and he did at times show uncontrollable rage (I am thinking of the phone call that was recorded when he broke into Nicole's home in October, 1993), and in the road rage incident in Florida when both of his younger children were present.

BetteDavisEyes, thank you so much for posting the above link. Like I said above, I think OJ suffered from CTE. We know that Aaron Hernandez did and he was only 27 when he died. OJ took his fair share of hits to the head while playing football and he did at times show uncontrollable rage (I am thinking of the phone call that was recorded when he broke into Nicole's home in October, 1993), and in the road rage incident in Florida when both of his younger children were present.
Does this mean that every football player or boxer that has suffered repeated hits to their heads will act out violently because of CTE?

Or only a very few?

I'll need more than a single example like Aaron Hernandez before I even remotely feel that OJ suffered from CTE and that it's an explanation for his killing Nichole Brown and Ron Goldman. JMO.

Does this mean that every football player or boxer that has suffered repeated hits to their heads will act out violently because of CTE?

Or only a very few?

I'll need more than a single example like Aaron Hernandez before I even remotely feel that OJ suffered from CTE and that it's an explanation for his killing Nichole Brown and Ron Goldman. JMO.
Ita.
In O.J.'s case, it felt more like a rage spurred by possessiveness and control of another person.
Actions that are not necessarily caused by CTE.
Omo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back