OK - Athena Brownfield, 4, found deceased, Cyril, 10 Jan 2023 *Arrest*

LAWTON, Okla. (KSWO) - 7News is on the ground in Cyril working to keep the public informed on the disappearance of Athena Brownfield.

New details in the investigation:

• Athena allegedly has limited verbal skills.
  • She may have been missing since Friday, Jan. 6, according to flyers distributed by Cyril police.
  • The FBI is reportedly working with OSBI in the investigation, but is not physically present at the scene.
Athena Brownfield was reported missing Tuesday around 2 p.m. after her 5-year-old sister was found near their home at 225 Nebraska Ave by a postal carrier, according to OSBI. The carrier reported it to Cyril police, who requested assistance from OSBI.

Athena is about three feet tall and 45 pounds with light brown hair and blue eyes. She was last seen wearing a pink butterfly sweater and pink pants, according to an Endangered Missing Advisory from the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. OSBI confirmed she has limited verbal skills.

Initial reports set her age at three years old. While OSBI updated her age to 4 on Wednesday morning, OHP officials and flyers distributed by the Cyril Police Department continued to say she was 3 years old. The flyers also said Athena had allegedly been missing since Friday, Jan. 6.

7News crews saw Athena’s home on Nebraska Ave. being cordoned off with crime scene tape around 9 p.m. on Tuesday. The next morning, OSBI PIO Brook Arbeitman said the crime tape was not an indication of a crime, but rather a precaution to keep people out of the home.

OSBI is asking anyone with a doorbell or home camera to check it for Athena, and to search their own property. However, they ask people not to self-deploy in search efforts without checking in at their command post at Family Life Church.

Numerous law enforcement agencies, fire departments, volunteer organizations and search and rescue dogs are at the scene. 7News reporters confirmed with officials Wednesday that the FBI is working with OSBI on the case, but is not physically present.

If you have any information about Athena’s whereabouts, contact the OSBI tipline at (800) 522-8017 or email tips@osbi.ok.gov.

Interesting that they said they were finding things in their search that they are hoping will help them find Athena.

I really wish they would clarify the whole parents/guardians situation. I’m still not sure who’s who and how these two girls came to be living in that particular home.

I sure hope they find her soon. It’s been far too long already.

This little snippet is interesting. The grandmother indicates that there was some family conflicts. Maybe someone else in the family has her or found her and hasn’t come forward yet for some reason.

This article says that Athena has limited verbal skills.

Does anyone know if Athena is autistic?
Her lack of verbal skills may simply be due to neglect -- many moms & dads and other family members read stories to youngsters and ask them "what is that?" or "do you like (whatever)" or "what color is that?" and so on. I'm betting neither child had any of that in that house. And learning speech is done when children are young -- it comes easy to them as their little brains are very active, etc.
It may not be autism at all, as I said, it could simply be neglect. SMH.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 1673478923348.png
    1673478923348.png
    651.9 KB · Views: 24

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads