https://tinyurl.com/vgzuyp5

OK OK - Elijah Gersham Cravens, 30-40, Okmulgee, 1 Jan 1902

Discussion in 'Pre-1960's Missing' started by Gardener1850, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)

[​IMG]
    Missing Person / NamUs #MP9137
    Elijah Gersham Cravens

Male, White / Caucasian

Date of Last Contact January 1, 1902
    Missing From Okmulgee, Oklahoma
    Missing Age 30 - 40 Years
    Current Age147 - 158 Years

Circumstances
    Date of Last Contact January 1, 1902
    NamUs Case Created January 5, 2011
    Last Known Location Map
    Location Okmulgee, Oklahoma
    Okmulgee County

Circumstances of Disappearance
    The MP was a farmer who lived outside of Okmulgee, OK. He left on horseback to attend a 'Woodmen of the World' meeting and was never seen again (LKA is unknown). A possible DOB of 10-20-1867 was located for the MP during genealogy searches, but is not yet confirmed as the MP's true DOB.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

CastlesBurning and shanda3434 like this.

2. CastlesBurning

CastlesBurning Well-Known Member

Never heard of this one til now!

I just Googled "Woodmen of the World" - apparently it is a fraternal society that operates a private insurance company for its members.

WoodmenLife - Wikipedia

Did this perhaps have something to do with Elijah's disappearance? e.g. someone wanted him gone for his money?

shanda3434 and Gardener1850 like this.
  3. artsy_ann

artsy_ann Member

How can we be certain of his date of disappearance? For one... I've seen that often when they're uncertain of the date a person went missing they will just throw in "Jan. 1" as a place holder. I was trying to find archived newspaper articles about him and had no luck.
    What I'm curious about is- where was this Woodmen meeting? I read archived Colorado articles talking about Woodmen of the World gatherings in Colorado that some 10,000 people would attend.
    This is probably a stretch- but- on "Jan. 1" 1912 the body of an unknown man was found.
    2557UMCO
    I figure that either year (1902 or 1912) COULD be wrong... maybe somewhere along the way a 1 accidentally replaced a 0? (or vise-versa)
    Maybe someone will have more luck than me with archived newspapers or something I haven' thought of.