OK OK - Lauria Bible, 16, & Ashley Freeman, 16, Welch, 30 December 1999 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Immunity Offered in Cold Case

The June 14 filing says 67-year-old Ronnie Dean Busick was offered immunity in exchange for information in the case but that he isn't competent to detail his involvement or that of two men who are now dead.

Defense Attorney Gregg Graves and Craig County District Attorney spokeswoman Michelle Lowry declined comment Friday.

Busick's case was continued pending a mental evaluation .
If he isn't competent to make a plea deal I don't see how he'll be competent to stand trial.

So frustrating, this should have been solved within the first week.

I cannot believe how something that would have been so simple to catch onto within the first week of the murder dragged on for over eighteen years. They still haven't found the girls which saddens me to pit of my stomach. What I don't understand is if Ronnie will get immunity for his cooperation in the investigation why isn't he talking? If those other two men who were involved in the murders are dead then what does he have to worry about if he cooperates? Someone else had to have been involved other than those three and that is why he is keeping his mouth shut.

Friday, July 12th:
*Preliminary Hearing (@ 9am CT) - OK – Danny (40) & Kathy Freeman (37), their daughter Ashley (16) & her friend Lauria Bible (16) (Dec. 29-30, 1999, Welch; girls have not been found) - *Ronnie Dean Busick (66/37 @ time of crime) was arrested (4/22/18) & official charged (4/30/18) with 2 counts of first-degree murder with malice aforethought or accessory to 1st degree murder, 2 additional counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of kidnapping, and 1 count of first-degree arson or accessory to 1st degree arson. $1M bond.
Two other men, Warren Philip "Phil" Welch II (61) died in 2007 & David A. Pennington (56) died in 2015, are implicated in the deaths but have themselves died.
5/11/18: The state is also seeking a hearing seeking the excusing of the endorsements of witnesses, who are only identified by initials in the probable cause affidavit. The case was continued to July 13, when a preliminary hearing will be set.
7/13/18 Update: A preliminary hearing for Busick has been set for 9/14. 9/14/18: Next hearing on Dec. 21.

12/21/18 Update: Defense says Busick is incompetent to stand trial, asks Judge to have mental eval done on his mental status. Preliminary hearing rescheduled for 2/22/19.
2/22/19 Update: Preliminary hearing on 4/12. 4/12/19: Next Preliminary hearing on 6/14. 6/14/19: Discussion today about three possible mental evaluations. One prior mental evaluation test gave Busick a 74 IQ. Next hearing on 7/12.

Experts to test Busick's competency

VINITA, Okla. — Lorene Bible was frustrated when she left Craig County District Court on Friday after suspect Ronnie Dean Busick’s preliminary hearing was delayed for the eighth time.
[.....]
But Busick never entered the courtroom. Instead, he listened in an adjacent room through a cracked door. Bible described the behavior as unusual, and she worries that Busick is playing the “incompetency card” as a defense tactic to avoid trial.
[.....]
On Friday, Special District Judge Jacqueline Stout met with attorneys for the state and the defense to determine how they’ll be pursuing the pending competency evaluations ordered for the suspect. Competency is the ability for the suspect to comprehend his charges, what’s going on around him and the ability to defend himself, officials said.
[.....]
Judge Stout encouraged the prosecution and defense to have their experts ready in time to move the case forward. The next hearing has been set for Sept. 27 to give officials enough time to conduct a total of three competency evaluations to determine if Busick is mentally fit to stand trial.

Latest Developments
  • Officials continue to search for the bodies of Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman in rural parts of Oklahoma.
  • Investigators are focused on several sites in Picher, Oklahoma -- including where Philip Welch lived in a mobile home and as ponds near the College Street property.
  • PHOTOS: Dig sites for missing Welch girls in Picher, Oklahoma
  • Multiple agencies including the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, the Craig County District Attorney’s Office, the Quapaw Tribe, and others will be assisting in the dig Tuesday.
  • FOX23 learned that the Tulsa Police Department dive team will also search nearby ponds.
  • There is still a $50,000 reward for any information that leads to Lauria and Ashely’s remains.
MISSING WELCH GIRLS: The Latest in Ashley Freeman, Lauria Bible murder case

Tulsa dive team to search Picher site where missing
Welch girls are believed to have spent their final days

VINITA — The area surrounding a former mobile home site where authorities believe Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman were kept the last week of their lives will be the subject of a search by investigators and the Tulsa police dive team starting Tuesday.

The search will be centered on the former residence of Warren Phillip Welch II in the abandoned town of Picher.

Welch is implicated by prosecutors, along with David Pennington and Ronnie Busick, in the fatal shootings of Danny and Kathy Freeman and the burning of their mobile home on Dec. 30, 1999.

Authorities believe the Freemans’ daughter and her friend were kidnapped, tied up, raped and held at Welch’s mobile home for a “matter of days” before being strangled, according to an arrest affidavit filed in Busick’s case.

According to court documents, multiple witnesses have told authorities that the men threw the bodies of Ashley Freeman and Lauria Bible into a pit or mineshaft or dumped them in a cellar that was later covered in concrete.

For decades, mine workings and shafts have collapsed and filled with water, creating ponds that can measure up to 100 feet wide and 25 feet deep.

This week’s search will be conducted by several agencies, including the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, the Quapaw Nation and District Attorney Matt Ballard’s office.

“There is no greater, or lesser, expectation that this week’s searches will result in recovery of the remains, compared to all past searches,” Ballard’s spokeswoman Michelle Lowry said.

more

What a horrific case this was. My impression is that so many people knew what happened to the girls but stayed silent. I can't imagine the horror of those girls' last few days on earth. I don't know if I would have had the strength that Lauria's mother has shown. What a strong, brave, admirable woman.

Praying for these divers and their support crew, can't imagine how dangerous that could be. Hopefully there is a good outcome for the sweet souls. Families sure do need some answers. Unimaginable grief they have lived. Lauria and Ashley need to come home to be laid to rest. Thanks so much for the update Bubblepup ! Think so often of these gals.

What a horrific case this was. My impression is that so many people knew what happened to the girls but stayed silent. I can't imagine the horror of those girls' last few days on earth. I don't know if I would have had the strength that Lauria's mother has shown. What a strong, brave, admirable woman.
No, people came forward. Law enforcement 100% dropped the ball on this one, because of personal reasons.

Very troubling that many people kept quiet. Wouldn't of saved the girls but I believe it would of led to the girls remains and punishment of perps. I understand the fear these guys had over people but how do they look at themselves in mirror.. :(

"Two days of searching for the remains of missing girls from Welch, Oklahoma have come to an end.

Another day of searching ponds didn't turn up anything significant in the case. At a pond that was north of Picher high school, they used technology including an underwater drone.

On land it's a computer screen and joy stick run by a technician. On the water crews dropped in a unit that is an underwater camera drone which sends back images of what's down below. Long plant life showed up that can be a hazard for divers.

Justin Farley with the Tulsa Police department dive team explained, "As divers were concerned about black water, there's no visibility. We're concerned about depth. Also worried about obstructions, things we can become entangled in." Farley said the ponds held trash, and things like bicycles."

2 day search in Picher for teens remains ends with no findings

Unfortunately, the two-day search turned up nothing. My heart hurts for the families. Far too long without answers.
Tulsa dive team to search Picher site where missing
Welch girls are believed to have spent their final days

VINITA — The area surrounding a former mobile home site where authorities believe Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman were kept the last week of their lives will be the subject of a search by investigators and the Tulsa police dive team starting Tuesday.

The search will be centered on the former residence of Warren Phillip Welch II in the abandoned town of Picher.

Welch is implicated by prosecutors, along with David Pennington and Ronnie Busick, in the fatal shootings of Danny and Kathy Freeman and the burning of their mobile home on Dec. 30, 1999.

Authorities believe the Freemans’ daughter and her friend were kidnapped, tied up, raped and held at Welch’s mobile home for a “matter of days” before being strangled, according to an arrest affidavit filed in Busick’s case.

According to court documents, multiple witnesses have told authorities that the men threw the bodies of Ashley Freeman and Lauria Bible into a pit or mineshaft or dumped them in a cellar that was later covered in concrete.

For decades, mine workings and shafts have collapsed and filled with water, creating ponds that can measure up to 100 feet wide and 25 feet deep.

This week’s search will be conducted by several agencies, including the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, the Quapaw Nation and District Attorney Matt Ballard’s office.

“There is no greater, or lesser, expectation that this week’s searches will result in recovery of the remains, compared to all past searches,” Ballard’s spokeswoman Michelle Lowry said.

more

Would be wonderful if these gals could be brought home to rest with family ! And some kind of closure for those that love them . But the drugged up degenerates that are most likely responsible never intended for the girls to be found. They enjoyed the bad @## status among their peers. Possible some still living that know more than they would like to.MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard