GUILTY OK - Maggie Trammel, 10 days old, dies in washing machine, Bartlesville, 4 Nov 2010

It's really odd that the aunt thought she smelled meth cooking and didn't do anything. I wouldn't even know what meth smelled like..apparently the aunt did though. hmmmm

I'm having a hard time getting that article to load. Anybody else?

ETA: Nevermind, it finally loaded.

This case is beyond horrid.

It's really odd that the aunt thought she smelled meth cooking and didn't do anything. I wouldn't even know what meth smelled like..apparently the aunt did though. hmmmm

I have no idea what meth smells like either but from what I understand it is a strong smell when cooking....but again I don't know. I find that statement VERY odd.

Bartlesville mom charged with child neglect in death of infant in washing machine
---
“There appears to be a lot of information, a lot of police reports not given to our office,” District Attorney Rick Esser said. “We anticipate there may be additional charges based on the information the state anticipates it will be receiving. We are certainly anxious to pursue as quickly as possible, but until we get information from the police department, we cannot make those decisions.”
---

much more, at
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20101108_11_0_BRLSIL783983

I think it depends on the cooking process. The smell is variously described as like "burning Drano," "melting plastic," or "like ammonia," "urine-like," etc. etc.

I think it depends on the cooking process. The smell is variously described as like "burning Drano," "melting plastic," or "like ammonia," "urine-like," etc. etc.

so..like my SIL's baking ... maybe that's why I never liked those muffins :biglaugh:

O/T, yet on topic too:
Mom passed out at Oklahoma City grocery store arrested; children taken away
Oklahoma City police arrested a woman last week in southwest Oklahoma City. Officers said she was passed out drunk in the cold foods section of a grocery store.
---
[Police Sgt. Faustino] Sanchez asked her what she had to drink and if it was a lot for her, and she answered, "Not enough," according to the report.
.---
Read more: http://newsok.com/mom-passed-out-at...dren-taken-away/article/3513161#ixzz14uERtjOM

Oklahoma mom accused in baby's death had six prior DHS reports
Baby died in washing machine after agency "screened out'' abuse

A Bartlesville mother accused of child neglect in the death of her 10-day-old baby was investigated by state child welfare workers on six previous occasions, including taking so many prescription drugs near her due date while pregnant she was unable to walk stairs or speak clearly, according to a report released Tuesday by the Oklahoma Commission on Children and Youth.
---
Between March 27, 2009, and Oct. 25, Fiddler had been investigated for allegedly using drugs with other people in the home with children, slapping a child so hard it left a bruise and using drugs throughout her pregnancy with Maggie May.

On June 21, Oklahoma Department of Human Services investigators were notified that a family member died in the home after using drugs. The children were located upstairs, and a family member arrived to take the children away, the report states.

"An additional family member in the home wanted the children to stay there but kept passing out from drugs while trying to argue the point," the report states.
---
much more, including DHS report, at
http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/...tid=450&articleid=20101130_450_0_ABrlsi691514

A Bartlesville mother accused of child neglect in the death of her 10-day-old baby was investigated by state child welfare workers on six previous occasions, including taking so many prescription drugs near her due date while pregnant she was unable to walk stairs or speak clearly, according to a report released Tuesday by the Oklahoma Commission on Children and Youth.
---
Between March 27, 2009, and Oct. 25, Fiddler had been investigated for allegedly using drugs with other people in the home with children, slapping a child so hard it left a bruise and using drugs throughout her pregnancy with Maggie May.

On June 21, Oklahoma Department of Human Services investigators were notified that a family member died in the home after using drugs. The children were located upstairs, and a family member arrived to take the children away, the report states.

"An additional family member in the home wanted the children to stay there but kept passing out from drugs while trying to argue the point," the report states.
---
http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/...tid=450&articleid=20101130_450_0_ABrlsi691514

:furious: Why does this happen OVER and OVER and OVER again??????
WHY????

I hate to harp on DSS's downfalls but SOMETHING has GOT to change!!!
Our children are being murdered on DSS's watch.

---

---

This sounds like these kids were living in a house of horrors. It's completely unacceptable that investigators went into that home, and yet allowed kids back in there. I know I couldn't do that kind of work. How could you sleep at night, knowing you left helpless kids in a place like that?

:furious: Why does this happen OVER and OVER and OVER again??????
WHY????

I hate to harp on DSS's downfalls but SOMETHING has GOT to change!!!
Our children are being murdered on DSS's watch.

I'm generally a big defender of DHS, but here in Oklahoma - not so much. The failure seems not necessarily to be the case workers's, but in lousy administration and decision-making above field-level.

Posted: Dec 02, 2010 9:25 PM CST
Updated: Dec 02, 2010 10:09 PM CST

Maggie May's family is stunned by the report because they didn't realize DHS had been so involved. This week a report came out highlighting several investigations into the child's welfare by DHS.

The 10 day old baby was found dead in her mother's washing machine on November 4 in Bartlesville.

An aunt of Maggie May's told KTUL.com the family is still grieving the death of the child that happened nearly a month ago and the report that came out this week was a complete shock to them.

"It's just crazy how the law is I guess and how DHS runs, it's unbelievable," says Jessica Solis, Maggie May's Aunt.

more here

http://www.ktul.com/Global/story.asp?S=13607513

What I do not understand is why she is not being charged with murder.As far as DHS they are not protecting the children across the states they are failing them big time.We need to do something to change the way they take charge with no over site.They answer to no one,not police,FBI,that is a big mistake.They do not protect the children by leaving them with drugged up mothers,or in homes where children have stated they are abused.

I agree 100% that it isn't always the case workers but those above field-level.In NJ it is horrible, sadly as I read about these cases here,it is across the USA.

"We might would have tried to do more to, I don't know, maybe try to find the evidence that they needed," says Jessica Solis, Maggie May's Aunt.

I have huge troubles with this case, DHS did have proof mom was using, both during the pregnancy and at birth mom tested positive. Baby Maggie looked like a drug baby and I'm will to bet she was riddled with symptoms - this Meth head should never have been allowed to take her home.

While my heart goes out to the family, those who were aware of mom's drug use should have done more - especially family, mom's doctor, the hospital and DHS.

Maybe it should be up to a parent to have to prove that they are not users or abusers, at some point - say after testing positive 1 time or after a case of abuse is verified (whether proved or not - just successfully identified).

I worked in OB for 5 years - the police were called and mom was arrested in her bed, baby was placed in protective custody, when drug tests came back or if mom was found with track marks - no questions asked. Those babies suffered terribly. Drug use during pregnancy is Child Abuse. Maggie was failed before she was placed in that washer. MOO

Rest In Peace sweet Maggie.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L1752
Back