GUILTY OK - Mom shoots her 3 children, killing 1, critically injuring 1 & grazing 3rd, Beggs, 01 Nov 2018

@Seattle1 - going thru some oldies - anything new on this one?

She had a plea hearing 11/28/22 & waiting for a sentencing date.

TIA! :)

On this date, the last docket entry is still #117 on 6/20/2023. IMO, this delay in sentencing Hall is all on the government since we know she accepted a life term back in October 2022, or face a capital trial i.e., a death sentence. You'd think all parties would want this defendant sentenced and done.

U.S. District Court
Eastern District of Oklahoma (Muskogee)
CRIMINAL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 6:20-cr-00111-RAW-1​

Case title: USA v. Hall
Date Filed: 10/28/2020

Assigned to: District Judge Ronald A. White

Defendant (1)
Amy Leann Hall

Date Filed#Docket Text
06/20/2023
ATTORNEY APPEARANCE by Caila M. Cleary on behalf of USA (Cleary, Caila) (Entered: 06/20/2023)

@Seattle1 - going thru some oldies - anything happening with this case? Last hearing was 11/28/22.

@Seattle1 - going thru some oldies - anything happening with this case? Last hearing was 11/28/22.

As of today, the last entry on the docket is #117, filed 6/20/23 -- Notice of appearance by US attorney. Still no sentencing date!

6:20-cr-00111-RAW All Defendants USA v. Hall
Date filed: 10/28/2020
Date of last filing: 06/20/2023

History​

Filed & Entered:
11/28/2022​
Plea Agreement
Filed & Entered:
11/28/2022​
Sealed Document
106​
Filed & Entered:
11/28/2022​
Ruling on Motion to Withdraw Attorney(s)
107​
Filed & Entered:
11/28/2022​
Order
Filed & Entered:
11/28/2022​
Terminated:
12/06/2022​
Motion to Withdraw Attorney(s)
Filed & Entered:
11/29/2022​
Terminated:
11/30/2022​
Motion to Seal Document(s)
Filed & Entered:
11/30/2022​
Ruling on Motion for leave to Seal Document(s)
Filed & Entered:
11/30/2022​
Sealed Document
Filed & Entered:
12/06/2022​
Filed & Entered:
01/19/2023​
Transcript of Proceedings - Unredacted
Filed & Entered:
01/27/2023​
Terminated:
01/31/2023​
Motion to Withdraw Attorney(s)
115​
Filed & Entered:
01/31/2023​
Filed & Entered:
02/01/2023​
Appearance - Attorney CJA
Filed & Entered:
06/20/2023​
Attorney Appearance - USA

Thanks @Seattle1 - I see she now has an attorney - maybe something will happen soon.... or not...

I shall try again next month! :)

Thanks @Seattle1 - I see she now has an attorney - maybe something will happen soon.... or not...

I shall try again next month! :)

I dunno but I think there's something going on here that might involve a violation of Amy's civil rights, and this might be holding up her sentencing.

Although the case docs are sealed, it's long been public that in exchange for taking the death penalty off the table (by the State of OK), Amy changed her plea to guilty on 11/28/22-- in anticipation of a life sentence.

Pursuant to Rule 32, except for good cause, the rule calls for the defendant to receive a copy of their pre-sentence report, (prepared by the probation department for the Judge), at least 24 days before sentencing, and the defendant should be sentenced within 60 days of the change of plea date. In other words, that would have put Amy being sentenced around the the end of January 2023.

Looking back, I think it was the same day she entered her guilty plea (11/28/22), one of her lawyers withdrew from the case, and soon after, her other lawyer also withdrew! Both before sentencing could happen.

According to the docket, Amy didn't get a new lawyer until 2/1/23. So that probably explains why no sentencing date happened within 60 days after she changed her plea.

And this is where it gets strange, I vaguely recall the offer from the prosecutor for the change of plea to avoid Capital Murder by the State, had an expiration date, and the Court thought she missed the date to accept the plea when in fact she'd written to the Court seeking to represent herself and something happened to the letter that was beyond Amy's control???

It's all sealed now (court records) but maybe I have a copy or took notes about what I'd read. I can see where leaving a death penalty defendant without representation where a pending offer from the government had an expiration date, could cause some heads to roll!

I really don't know how else to explain why Amy's sentencing date would be delayed for 10 months other than it's not the fault of the defendant. JMO

ETA: OK, I found the letter by Amy to the Judge. I know the lead public defender on her case is located in AZ so that might explain why she only saw counsel twice in two years!

Since the deadline to accept the plea offer (estimated on October 24, 2022), or face having the feds dismiss her case and send it to be refiled as Capital Murder in the State of OK, Amy withdrew the request for new counsel and entered the change of plea on 11/28/22.

1697703300054.png

1697703571770.png

Last edited:
@Niner -- I didn't realize until today that the Federal Public Defender's office for the OK region is located in Tucson, and Amy never had local counsel for her capital murder case. No telling if she had scheduled video conferences or how this was handled since 2020 (peak of Covid too).

Amy currently has only one lawyer who was appointed on 2/1/23, and this one is not from the Federal PD's office in Tucson but appears to be a private/local attorney from Sapulpa, OK.

The lawyers who worked to get her to the plea agreement on 11/28/22, all resigned effective 12/6/22 and 1/31/23. Seems to me, that Amy essentially only had three days to make a decision on the plea agreement to meet the deadline of 10/24/22-- imposed by the federal prosecutor without opportunity for an extension.

While I believe the defense attorneys here were probably concentrating on getting the defendant's case "off the capital track," seems Amy complained she expected Counsel to litigate discovery issues regarding said [lack of] scientific/forensic evidence earlier in the representation. IMO, I'd say Amy's current defense attorney Carla Stinnett, is probably researching whether or not her client has cause for complaint that her rights for due process were violated.

I just hate that the murdered son and daughter, and the traumatized and wounded younger child who took the weapon away from the mother, appear to be the forgotten ones without justice since 2018. MOO

1697705130609.png

@Seattle1 - wow - you remember a LOT! :D Yes, I do recall some of the stuff you said above. Do we know WHY the 2 or 3 attorneys quit?

It does seem her rights were violated - at least to me. Maybe this new attorney will get it back on track & we will have a sentencing date soon. Or is she appealing this peal deal she made?? I hope not!

@Seattle1 - wow - you remember a LOT! :D Yes, I do recall some of the stuff you said above. Do we know WHY the 2 or 3 attorneys quit?

It does seem her rights were violated - at least to me. Maybe this new attorney will get it back on track & we will have a sentencing date soon. Or is she appealing this peal deal she made?? I hope not!

While I'd understand her wanting to throw out the plea deal and start over, the alternative would be worse -- the feds would dismiss the case and return it to the State of OK where it would be refiled as capital murder - death penalty case. Then the protests would begin again with the tribal issue and the State District Court not having jurisdiction.

As to why the three attorneys quit, I think it was two-fold -- Amy had already put all on notice with her letter to the Court that she alleged she had cause for ineffective counsel, and once she accepted the plea deal and entered her change of plea in court on 11/28/23, all that was left was the sentencing by the Court -- which doesn't require three defense attorneys! IMO, when the court then failed to set a date for sentencing by the end of January, two of the lawyers were out of there (1/31/23)-- probably feared she'd make similar allegations against them as she did the lead counsel (who resigned 12/6/22).

It's kind of silly she's hung up on the [lack of] forensic evidence when she confessed to the murders -- as if she believed she was saving the kids. She tried to commit suicide shortly after this while in custody -- probably didn't think she'd be around to face a trial. JMO

Well - finally we have a resolution on this case!!

Mar. 29, 2024

MUSKOGEE, OKLAHOMA – The United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Oklahoma announced that Amy Leann Hall, age 43, of Okmulgee, Oklahoma, was sentenced to Life in prison for each of two counts of Murder in Indian Country, and 240 months in prison for one count of Assault with Intent to Commit Murder in Indian Country. The sentences were ordered to run concurrently.

The charges arose from investigations by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Okmulgee County Sheriff’s Department.

On November 28, 2022, Hall pleaded guilty. According to investigators, during the early morning hours of November 1, 2018, Hall entered the room of her 18-year-old son and shot him in the head while he slept, killing him instantly. Hall proceeded to the bedroom of her 16- and 14-year-old daughters and shot both in the head as they slept. Hall’s 14-year-old daughter survived. Hall’s 16-year-old daughter never regained consciousness and died from her injuries four days later at the hospital. An Okmulgee County deputy dispatched to the scene spotted Hall’s vehicle and gave pursuit. After a chase exceeding 110 miles per hour, law enforcement apprehended and arrested Hall. The crimes occurred in Okmulgee County, within the boundaries of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation Reservation, in the Eastern District of Oklahoma.
[.....]
The Honorable Ronald A. White, Chief Judge in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Oklahoma, presided over the hearing. Hall will remain in custody of the U.S. Marshal pending transportation to a designated United States Bureau of Prisons facility to serve a non-paroleable sentence of incarceration.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back