OK - Nex Benedict, 16 year old student died after being beaten in school restroom, Owasso, Feb 8 2024

"I got jumped".
Is that what Rex said on the recording?
Normally someone would be hysterical if that happened to them. Rex seems... like this has happened before, and is used to no one taking threats against her safety seriously.
IMHO Rex was terrified every day and trying to cope with humor.

Honestly this hits too close to home for me, so I only saw a few moments of video before I had to stop. I apologize if I missed something.

“There’s not multiple genders. There’s two. That’s how God created us,” Mr. Walters said, saying he did not believe that nonbinary or transgender people exist. He said that Oklahoma schools would not allow students to use preferred names or pronouns that differ from their birth sex.

“You always treat individuals with dignity or respect, because they’re made in God’s image,” Mr. Walters said. “But that doesn’t change truth.”

And at an Oklahoma board of education meeting this week, Sean Cummings, the vice mayor of a town adjacent to Oklahoma City known as The Village, blamed the board’s anti-gay and anti-transgender policies for the bullying of Nex. “You brought it on,” he said, addressing Mr. Walters directly.

“We’ve been told death wasn’t directly related to the fight at school,” he said, cautioning that the investigation was ongoing.

“There’s a lot of feelings of helplessness,” said Hali, 18, a transgender girl and high school senior in the town of Claremore, who asked that her last name not be used out of concern that she may be targeted by anti-transgender activists. “You always have that little bit of fear that you could be attacked, that you could be one of the victims.”

“I really see there’s a civil war going on, where the left is really fighting for the soul of our country,” he said. “They are undermining the very principles that made this country great, our Judeo-Christian values and our traditions in this country.”
I am ashamed for all of those folks.

Definitely need to wait to see the autopsy and toxicology and especially to see if those were complete and thorough.

Their mother's description of Nex's presentation the next day sounds a lot more like a stroke than it does a drug overdose.

Looking at the hospital video of Nex from the perspective of a juror or defense attorney: Nex admitted they never met the girls before (no history of bullying), the initial fight was about how they were laughing at something (perhaps not related to her being transgender), Nex started the fight by throwing water, and Nex threw one of the girls into the paper towel dispenser.

While I really want to see those girls punished, I think this is going to be difficult to charge based on that video.

I was thinking a seizure possibly (moo)

It's really very sad, my condolences to Nex's family and friends x

Same. It’s Oklahoma and the Bible Belt stuck in the middle of Tornado Alley. Seems like we’re always the rebels. I don’t know what to say. I’m embarrassed.
No need for you to be embarrassed Grandma, we know your heart, you are a very loving caring and you feel things very hard. ((((Grandma)))))

No need for you to be embarrassed Grandma, we know your heart, you are a very loving caring and you feel things very hard. ((((Grandma)))))

Agreed and there are plenty of other good people in Oklahoma, I'm sure. It's just that they sadly seem to be in the minority.

I mean, Ryan Walters was elected fair and square and as I understand it, he's done exactly the kinds of things he vowed to do on this issue while campaigning.

I thought they did an MRI at the er. Did a neurologist actually view it before they were released?

If it happened that fast I feel like there would be swelling or bleeding in the image?

Would it have been better with contrast? I only rudimentally understand MRI stuff.

They generally won't do an MRI in the ER. They do a CT. They're looking for blood. If there's minute amounts of blood, it could get missed until it becomes a bigger problem. No, you don't want to use contrast if you're checking for blood.

I was going to say the same but did want some clarification on should Nex have been in the girls rest room at all due to the new rules that were bought in? I'm of the understanding that schools will let pupils use neutral bathrooms where there is are issues regarding gender.

In Oklahoma the governor signed into law a bill that demands kids use the bathroom of the gender they were assigned at birth. Since the grandmother has referred to Nex as "she", I assume that was the gender assigned at birth.

There may be schools that let students use neutral bathrooms but I doubt if that's the case in Owasso.

Sorry I’m just catching up, is it possible that Nex’s death didn’t have to do with the fight at the school the previous day?

There seems to be much vagueness from everyone, I’m starting to wonder if it’s possible that this may be suicide? I still think the other girls should be held responsible if Nex died as a result or in response to the bullying.

I was going to say the same but did want some clarification on should Nex have been in the girls rest room at all due to the new rules that were bought in? I'm of the understanding that schools will let pupils use neutral bathrooms where there is are issues regarding gender.
Even if someone went into the "wrong" bathroom they don't deserve to be murdered.

Freedom Oklahoma didn't know Nex, but Nex's family did, and Nex's family says that they used they/them pronouns. If Nex's family members were not advocating for them but against them the situation would be different, but in this case, Websleuths will abide by what the family states.
I think you’re missing my point. Freedom Oklahoma claims a lack of clarity on correct pronouns, and I am engaging with that concern. The family says Nex used they/them pronouns but has also been quoted (in the news and subsequently in this thread) referring to Nex as “her”. NBC News reports “Ally said Nex primarily went by he/him pronouns at school but also used they/them pronouns, which Nex's family also used. Several other friends said Nex preferred he/him pronouns.”

Identity isn’t rigid, especially for a young person, and it’s not surprising to me that Nex may have given people different information, or updated people at different rates. I have no objection to Websleuths going with what the family says, but I do take issue if it is treated as objective truth. Information conflicts, and Nex has been deprived of their ability to tell us what they would want right now.

Even if someone went into the "wrong" bathroom they don't deserve to be murdered.
Totally agree Ive got 5 kids who are now adults and am so sad at this situation. I just confused as to why the school cannot offer bathroom alternatives like they do here in the UK. Its not ideal I know but offers a small solution to a complex situation.

My take is Nex went into the bathroom dressed like a boy and caught the eyes of the attackers. Nex started to get attacked verbally and then decided to defend themselves by attacking back physically by throwing water.

Seeing as Nex initiated the physical phase of the encounter this will allow the 3 girls to claim self defence and
for the charges to be downgraded from murder.

JMO

My take is Nex went into the bathroom dressed like a boy and caught the eyes of the attackers. Nex started to get attacked verbally and then decided to defend themselves by attacking back physically by throwing water.

Seeing as Nex initiated the physical phase of the encounter this will allow the 3 girls to claim self defence and
for the charges to be downgraded from murder.

JMO
The three attackers were defending themselves from... water?

Unless they were made of sugar, 3 people beating down 1 doesn't make sense.

Also, the laws were written with a purpose in mind--to keep trans people scared. They are forced to use bathrooms for the opposite-appearing sex because the law makers don't want trans people to feel safe or exist. It's very sad but true.

Sorry I’m just catching up, is it possible that Nex’s death didn’t have to do with the fight at the school the previous day?

There seems to be much vagueness from everyone, I’m starting to wonder if it’s possible that this may be suicide? I still think the other girls should be held responsible if Nex died as a result or in response to the bullying.
No. I have not seen any report indicating Nex was suicidal.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaBN1