Identified! OK - Norman, Lake Thunderbird, Wht/NativeFem 30-45, UP6727, sunburst tattoo on lower back, Aug'08 - Angela Mason

OSBI trying to identify woman 13 years after body found in Oklahoma | KFOR.com Oklahoma City

NORMAN, Okla. (KFOR) – It has been more than 13 years since a woman’s body was found in Norman, but officials say they are still trying to identify her.
The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation say the woman’s body was found partially buried at 120th and Alameda Rd. in Norman on Aug. 31, 2008.

On Tuesday, the OSBI released a sketch of the woman of what she looked like with four different hair styles. Officials say she also had a starburst moon tattoo on her lower back.

OSBI trying to identify woman 13 years after body found in Oklahoma | KFOR.com Oklahoma City

NORMAN, Okla. (KFOR) – It has been more than 13 years since a woman’s body was found in Norman, but officials say they are still trying to identify her.
The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation say the woman’s body was found partially buried at 120th and Alameda Rd. in Norman on Aug. 31, 2008.

On Tuesday, the OSBI released a sketch of the woman of what she looked like with four different hair styles. Officials say she also had a starburst moon tattoo on her lower back.
From above link.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 5.29.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 5.29.52 PM.png
    581 KB · Views: 15
*I’m in tears over this one…
She was last seen in Moore in the spring of 2008. My kids went to school with her…
angela mason

angela mason

The OSBI announced that a woman found partially buried on Aug. 31, 2008, near Lake Thunderbird is identified as Angela Mason. Mason, who was 25 then, was found partially decomposed in a shallow grave at 120thand Alameda streets.

"It is a great day when we can give a victim their name back," said Aungela Spurlock, OSBI Director. "Utilizing Forensic Genetic Genealogy is an investment and is unfortunately not possible to use on every cold case. But for Angela, the investment paid off. Now our team will continue to work to get Angela the justice she deserves."

Last edited:
*I’m in tears over this one. My daughters knew her…
angela mason

angela mason

The OSBI announced that a woman found partially buried on Aug. 31, 2008, near Lake Thunderbird is identified as Angela Mason. Mason, who was 25 then, was found partially decomposed in a shallow grave at 120thand Alameda streets.

"It is a great day when we can give a victim their name back," said Aungela Spurlock, OSBI Director. "Utilizing Forensic Genetic Genealogy is an investment and is unfortunately not possible to use on every cold case. But for Angela, the investment paid off. Now our team will continue to work to get Angela the justice she deserves."

She was last seen in Moore in the spring of 2008.
Hang tough, grandma.
Be ever so glad she has her name back after all these years.
And be grateful she has people that grieve for her.

Sketch of a woman whose remains were found in OklahomaSketch of the
woman authorities identified as Angela Mason. Image from OSBI

1661982017510.png

Authorities made numerous attempts to identify Mason after the remains were found years ago, including releasing images of her distinctive tattoo, entering her information into the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs), adding her case to the OSBI Cold Case Cards, asking other law enforcement agencies to review their missing persons cases and releasing forensic sketches.

A sketch released in May 2021 utilized advanced composite software to generate the image.

The Oklahoma Medical Examiner believed the remains were those of a white female, possibly with Native American heritage, who was approximately 5’5”, between 30 and 45 years old and had at least one child. She was believed to have been buried in the shallow grave between three and 15 months of the remains being discovered.

Mason was 5’6” and was a registered Cherokee Nation citizen. She attended Putnam City West High School, was married twice and had four children. She was last seen in Moore in Spring 2008.

“If you knew Angela Marie (Richards) Mason or have any information on her death, please contact the OSBI at (800) 522-8017 or email tips@osbi.ok.gov. You can remain anonymous,” OSBI agents said.

Sketch of a woman whose remains were found in OklahomaSketch of the
woman authorities identified as Angela Mason. Image from OSBI

View attachment 362982

Authorities made numerous attempts to identify Mason after the remains were found years ago, including releasing images of her distinctive tattoo, entering her information into the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs), adding her case to the OSBI Cold Case Cards, asking other law enforcement agencies to review their missing persons cases and releasing forensic sketches.

A sketch released in May 2021 utilized advanced composite software to generate the image.

The Oklahoma Medical Examiner believed the remains were those of a white female, possibly with Native American heritage, who was approximately 5’5”, between 30 and 45 years old and had at least one child. She was believed to have been buried in the shallow grave between three and 15 months of the remains being discovered.

Mason was 5’6” and was a registered Cherokee Nation citizen. She attended Putnam City West High School, was married twice and had four children. She was last seen in Moore in Spring 2008.

“If you knew Angela Marie (Richards) Mason or have any information on her death, please contact the OSBI at (800) 522-8017 or email tips@osbi.ok.gov. You can remain anonymous,” OSBI agents said.
I have a friend in Oklahoma who is registered Cherokee I’m going to see what she says.

My internet connection is slow tonight, it took a long time for the image of Angela to load. The only positive thing I think with this identification is that her children, will know now that their mother did not willingly leave them or abandon them.

A year later, a break in the case. The OSBI announced its investigation had determined the identity of the victim as Angela Mason, 25, of Moore, OK. The OSBI hasn’t said much since, only citing state law that prohibits them from sharing details in an ongoing investigation.

They’d given a vague timeline of Angela Mason’s disappearance – last seen in Moore, Oklahoma in Spring 2008.

Investigative reporter Lisa Monahan: “We’d have to try and fill in the blanks on our own but at least with a name, we could start to tell her story. We found out she went by Angela Richards as a student at Putnam City West High School.”

Classmates described her as friendly, but quiet.

By age 17, in 2000, she was pregnant, expecting what would be the first of four children.

Several months into motherhood, Angela, still a child herself, made the decision to give the baby up for adoption.

“She was a beautiful mom, I actually got to see pictures of her while she was pregnant with me,” Regan Colley, Angela’s firstborn said when investigative reporter Lisa Monahan tracked Colley down in 2022, “I’d always had a desire to find her,” she said.

Colley tried to – with no luck. Most of what she knew about her biological mother came from notes found in a baby book.

“Her keeping a baby book showed she did care for me and she did enjoy the process of having me but she had to make the difficult decision to give me up,” said Colley.

Angela had kept visitation rights and remained a part of Regan’s lie, until someone took hers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back