OK OK - Stephen Adams, 26, NSU student, Tahlequah, 13 Dec 2004

I have a theory in this case. I think that which happens most often is more likely. In Adams case I think he left the keys area and was driving to webbers falls to see his mother. That is a very curvy road with deep ravines. I believe because of his young age he was traveling at an unsafe speed and ran off the road. I think the reason they cannot find him is that they are looking for a white truck, when the reality is, you would only see the undercarriage of the truck which would be very hard to see in a wood area. There is also place along that road where he could have ran off the road and landed in water. The road splits before it gets to webbers falls and I don't know which road he would have taken as I have never driven that far. I don't think he met with foul play. I think he was driving to fast and ran off the road.

"One of the new details found in the grand jury report is that jurors believe Stephen Adams' missing truck was seen parked along the river after his disappearance. They believe the contents of his truck were stolen and Stephen's text books were sold for cash at NSU.

"Although new searches for Stephen's body took place during the course of the grand jury, as of Wednesday, the whereabouts of Stephen's body and truck remain unknown."

Read more: http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/stephen-adams-grand-jury-brings-new-leads#ixzz2Qe1YfjQx

I found an article copied to another discussion forum, but the newspaper link is no longer active:

"The day Stephen Adams came up missing, witnesses saw someone suspicious hanging around the parking lot of his apartment building for several hours. Frye said another witness has come forward about a suspicious stranger in the school parking lot where Adams parked his truck. Investigators believe at least four very organized people may have been involved in what they believe was eventually the abduction of Stephen Adams.

"Witnesses also have told of a suspicious stranger in the school parking lot where Adams parked the Friday before he went missing.

"Some intelligence already received indicates Stephen Adams was supposed to be nabbed a week or two before Dec. 13, Frye said."

Read more: http://csafd.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=okmissing&action=display&thread=2775#ixzz2Qe4cxBD0

Haven't seen anything on this case for a while now. I also haven't seen any mention of whether there were any tips on the composite drawing of the stranger that was hanging around his apartment the day he went missing?

http://www.tahlequahdailypress.com/local/x1005125194/Investigators-Progress-in-Stephan-Adams-case-possible

“Since [2004], we have identified persons of interest in this investigation, and we do know that Stephan’s truck was found abandoned following that day,” Lyons said. “It was found in Cherokee County, and the people who found the truck stole the contents of the truck, but the truck itself has never been recovered.”

<snip>

Lyons said the persons of interest in Adams’ disappearance have criminal backgrounds.

“Knowing someone did something and proving someone did something are two different things, and we just need a few pieces of information to help complete this case,” King said. “We are in need of corroboration of information that’s been gathered over the last nine years. ... [We] are prepared to spend as many [hours] as necessary to bring justice and closure for Stephan and his family.”

Search continues for NSU student Stephen Adams missing since 2004; dig begins near Fort Gibson
Posted: 10:36 AM, Mar 25, 2014
Updated: 7:29 PM, Mar 25, 2014
FORT GIBSON, Okla. -- Authorities searching for a Tahlequah man who disappeared nearly 10 years ago are digging on property near Fort Gibson. The search for Stephen Mitchell Adams -- who was last seen Dec. 13, 2004 -- began Monday at the site of an old cistern following a recent tip to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation led them to the field. Ground-penetrating radar revealed what investigators call "anomalies" under the surface.

Investigators here say this all happened very quickly. Still, no signs of Adams' remains after crews spent all day digging up a cistern and sifting through the dirt by hand.

Has there ever been any tips on the composite of the person of interest????

Praying his remains can be found and buried as his family wishes. Perhaps that can lead to the perpetrators facing man's justice.

"Tips revive decade-old search for missing NSU student"

http://www.fox23.com/news/news/local/tips-revive-decade-old-search-missing-nsu-student/nnRjt/

Stephen Adams was last seen in Cherokee County in December 2004. For 10 years, FOX23 has covered the efforts to find his body, which included digging and rural areas and using sonar equipment.

Now, Adams would have been 30 years old. The assistant district attorney says he believes the NSU student was murdered, and he wants to find answers for Adams&#8217; family.

Stephen Adams' family still looking for his body after 2004 disappearance

http://www.kjrh.com/news/cold-case-stephen-adams-family-still-looking-for-his-body-after-2004-disappearance

Denie Hays flips through photos of her son Stephen, tears streaming down her face.

It's the only way she can see her goofy, loving boy anymore.

"At about 10:30 his girlfriend called and said have you heard from Stephen? I said no I haven't heard from him," she said.

She relives December 13, 2004.

His father Carl Adams felt abandoned by law enforcement, so he jumped into the search himself.

Cherokee County District Attorney Jack Thorp has been digging into the case since 2012.

"There's no doubt in my mind that he was murdered. And I'll say that all day long," he said.

Does anyone have more details about the background of the case? How old was his daughter, and how far did the molestation charges go? I've read that the ex pressed them and they were dismissed. The wording there doesn't really add up as I would assume molesting a child isn't a charge that can be pressed by another citizen. However, a Reddit write-up stated that he was found not guilty two times, which also has to be inaccurate.
It's a separate issue from his disappearance in many ways, but the conflicting information could be important. Did the police believe he molested his daughter or did they believe the ex was falsely accusing him?

upload_2022-1-29_22-9-47.jpeg
upload_2022-1-29_22-10-5.jpeg
upload_2022-1-29_22-10-23.jpeg
Stephan Mitchell Adams

Demographics
Missing Age; 26 Years

Nickname/Alias: Stephen, Steven

Sex: Male

Height: 5' 7" (67 Inches)

Weight: 200 lbs

Race / Ethnicity: American Indian / Alaska Native

Tribe Enrollment / Affiliation: Yes

Associated Tribe(s): Affiliated with Cherokee Nation

Date of Last Contact: December 13, 2004

NamUs Case Created: December 12, 2008

County: Cherokee County

Circumstances of Disappearance: Unknown. Stephan was last seen at approximately 1100 am leaving class at Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, OK. He received a telephone call from his girlfriend shortly thereafter and told her he was giving a man a ride to Keys, OK. He was never heard from again. His vehicle is also missing and is described as a white 1995 GMC short-bed truck with OK Lic# SCQ714.

Physical Description
Hair Color: Brown

Facial Hair Description: sometimes has a goatee

Eye Color: Brown

Transportation
1995 Chevrolet Truck

Style: Pickup

Color: White

State: Oklahoma

License Plate: SCQ-714

Expiration Year: 2005

Comments: CHROME BED RAILS. TRUCK HAS RED PINSTRIPE DOWN THE SIDE

NamUs #MP849

FBI

2News

Tahlequah Daily Press

https://oklahomacoldcases.org/stephan-adams

There are many cases where I feel people read too much into the victim's circumstances to theorise foul play, to the point it takes on an almost conspiratorial tone. However, this is one of those cases where it could fit. We know that Stephen was locked in a bitter custody battle with his ex, and there were unfounded allegations of child abuse against him. Stephen's family received telephone threats before and after their son vanished. It was only a few days before the court hearing when Stephen conveniently disappeared. There were certainly people who had a motive for getting rid of him.

That said, there's still a chance it was a coincidence. Perhaps he did pick up a violent hitchhiker or made a wrong turn and crashed his car. For all we know, it could have been a local vigilante who heard about the accusations and decided to take matters into his own hands. Tahlequah is a small town and I bet word travels fast.

Last edited:
Stephen Adams vanished in 2004 in the Tahlequah area.

"What’s interesting for him is that his vehicle went missing with him, and it’s not a small vehicle. it was a GMC truck," said Newland-Davis.

A lack of evidence is one of the biggest roadblocks in finding missing people, but there are some things that get in the way. Newland-Davis said one of those is simply finding accurate pictures of a missing person, which are sometimes nowhere to be found.

"In this day and age, you would think it would be pretty simple to find a picture of a 16-year-old. It’s hard to find someone when you don’t know what they look like, so you don’t know who to look for," said Newland-Davis.

"Getting evidence to be run in new technology is also hard, because there’s not a lot of funding for that," said Newland-Davis

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back