Found Deceased OK - Timothy Vanmatre, 57, disappeared after family argument, Phone/wallet left at home, Vehicle found, Owasso, 19 Mar 2023

anonypotomous

Reaction score
Tim Vanmatre left his Owasso home around 5:00 p.m. on Saturday after a family argument. He left his wallet and phone at home. His vehicle, a 2015 Subaru Crosstrek, was found around 6 p.m. on Saturday near 66th St. N. and N. Mingo Rd, where he frequently rides the trails between Mohawk Park.

He is in good health and extremely fit, but he is hard of hearing and wears hearing aids.

He was last seen Saturday, March 19, leaving his Owasso home around 5 p.m. on security footage. (photo attached) and was reported missing to the Owasso Police Department that evening. On Sunday, authorities used tracking K-9's, drones and OHP's aircraft to search the area his vehicle was found.

Vanmatre is a white man standing 5-foot-10 inches and weighs 175 pounds, according to TCSO. He was last seen wearing blue jeans, a green jacket and tennis shoes. Anyone with information is asked to call TCSO at 918-596-5600.

Tim's Facebook

Find Timothy Vanmatre

TCSO Searches for Missing Owasso Man

Police searching for Man Last Seen in Owasso

From his daughter:
My dad isn’t like other dads. He shows up every single time I call him. He shows up even when I don’t call him. When it snows he shows up with a shovel and salt. When I need my computer fixed he’s there with a magic solution. When I mention a new hobby or interest he has all the latest and greatest gear delivered to my door. When my sink is leaking he is there within the hour. He has been so excited about life this past year. He has found love for the first time since I was a child. He loves his sport. He has close friends who would do anything for him. He is an Ironman, an amazing son who would do anything for his mom. He is the best Papa i could ever want for my boy and my niece. To know him is to love him. His excitement is contagious, whether it is over nature, the Navy, his precious new grand daughter, or anything and everything geeky and nerdy. Please share and help me bring my dad home.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 11.11.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 11.11.36 AM.png
    933 KB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 11.11.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 11.11.18 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 11.12.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 11.12.02 AM.png
    994.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 11.11.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 11.11.54 AM.png
    771.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 11.25.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 11.25.38 AM.png
    701.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
This doesn't sound good.
He car was found just 1 hour after he left home. He didn't have his bike with him (according to the Find Timothy Vamatre FB page. He wasn't dressed for running (he was in jeans). And he didn't take his wallet or phone with him.

The place where he parked doesn't look like the type of place you'd take a stroll. I would think you would go right to Mohawk park to do that. Perhaps a local could provide us with some perspective regarding access to the park trails.

Strange that the vehicle was found and not him. They’ve been searching the area. Could he have had someone pick him up?

Also, that dirt company close by gives me the creeps given the situation. All that dirt, and all the digging equipment and bulldozers

March 21, 2023 article

[…]

Anyone with information or who may have seen who left Vanmatre’s vehicle near 66th Street North and Mingo between 5 pm and 6 pm on Saturday is asked to call TCSO at 918-596-5600.

[…]

Anyone with information or who may have seen who left Vanmatre’s vehicle near 66th Street North and Mingo between 5 pm and 6 pm on Saturday is asked to call TCSO at 918-596-5600.
That sure is an interesting statement. I wonder why they think someone else was driving Timothy's car. On its face, this looks like it could be a self-harm case, but this statement seems to indicate otherwise.

MAR 21, 2023
Family Of Missing Owasso Man Concerned, Desperate For Answers (news9.com)
[...]

The Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office has taken over the investigation and is planning additional searches in the air and on the ground.

[...]

She said Vanmatre knew the area where the car was found.

“He’s a triathlete, he’s an Ironman,” said Smith. “This is an area that he frequently goes to cycle, it’s one of his favorite trails.”

Deputies think Vanmatre was on foot since his bicycle was left at home. They are doing interviews and follow-ups while coordinating searches.

[...]

Deputies are planning to continue searching the area where the car was found using a drone and search dogs. Anyone with information should call the Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office.

That sure is an interesting statement. I wonder why they think someone else was driving Timothy's car. On its face, this looks like it could be a self-harm case, but this statement seems to indicate otherwise.
The way I read the request is that they're looking for confirmation it was Timothy driving and more precise timing for when the car was left.

Always fascinated how two people can read the exact same thing and interpret it in completely different ways!

That area is near Bird Creek, which despite being called a creek can be a very dangerous river with fastmoving water after recent rains. IT's also within walking distance of Mohawk Park, a huge wooded park where one could choose to hide out for a while, although I'm sure they would have searched there already.

The way I read the request is that they're looking for confirmation it was Timothy driving and more precise timing for when the car was left.

Always fascinated how two people can read the exact same thing and interpret it in completely different ways!
Yes, it is interesting as to the various interpretations.

What caught my attention is that I've never seen LE word this kind of statement in this manner when it is presumed that the missing person parked the vehicle there. Normally they would ask if anyone saw Timothy between 5 and 6, and in particular parking his car, or at any other time after that. They normally wouldn't ask "who" you saw parking the car.

BTW, welcome to Websleuths @lurkingwallflower ! I'm glad you've joined the discussion.

I wonder if Timothy made any comments about possible self-harm as he left the house. The family was on this so, so quickly.

He left the house at 5pm after an argument with his girlfriend.
His girlfriend found his car at 6pm (so she was obviously out looking for him already).
The girlfriend called his family.
Someone reported him missing to police at 8pm. That's only 3 hours after he left the house.

The 8pm reporting time comes from the Fox News report in post #1.
Police searching for man last seen in Owasso
The girlfriend finding his car is from the 2News Oklahoma article.
Tulsa County Sheriff's Office asks for help finding missing Owasso man

What caught my attention is that I've never seen LE word this kind of statement in this manner when it is presumed that the missing person parked the vehicle there. Normally they would ask if anyone saw Timothy between 5 and 6, and in particular parking his car, or at any other time after that. They normally wouldn't ask "who" you saw parking the car.
Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking. I'm my experience, the public tends to jump to the conclusion of foul play, and LE wants to assure them that there is no danger. So ordinarily you'd have LE saying, "We have no reason to believe there was anyone other than Mr. Vanmatre driving his car that day"/"Authorities do not suspect foul play"/etc. To lead the public in the direction of foul play is unusual unless LE has significant evidence, IME.

March 21, 2023 article

[…]

[…]

Noting:

Corporal Garrison says they've done a hand-full of interviews but don't have any witnesses who saw him in the north Tulsa county area.

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking. I'm my experience, the public tends to jump to the conclusion of foul play, and LE wants to assure them that there is no danger. So ordinarily you'd have LE saying, "We have no reason to believe there was anyone other than Mr. Vanmatre driving his car that day"/"Authorities do not suspect foul play"/etc. To lead the public in the direction of foul play is unusual unless LE has significant evidence, IME.
I agree about LE typically aiming to avoid making statements that may cause fear in the community. This community is a bit more on edge than many because of the 3 missing (well one found deceased) in that general area and their cars were found abandoned too. Personally, I don't believe it's related as I'm leaning more towards self-harm, sadly but this statement along with mention of Mohawk Park, the car being left there, and North Tulsa...well, I can't help thinking it could be a possibility.

Here are some images of that area. Notice the bridge nearby, which goes over Bird Creek and the sign about security cameras in use at the intersection. I'm trying to line up where exactly he was parked by matching the trees in the background. Well, some images are too large apparently so I'll try to add those in a different post.

Attachments

• F5F5624B-3233-4F52-8C65-1803662878FF.jpeg
    F5F5624B-3233-4F52-8C65-1803662878FF.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 1796D930-C960-4FE5-BE6C-C9A692B10622.jpeg
    1796D930-C960-4FE5-BE6C-C9A692B10622.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 89146B15-DA87-4009-8A8F-A4AC75F13774.jpeg
    89146B15-DA87-4009-8A8F-A4AC75F13774.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 15
I agree about LE typically aiming to avoid making statements that may cause fear in the community. This community is a bit more on edge than many because of the 3 missing (well one found deceased) in that general area and their cars were found abandoned too. Personally, I don't believe it's related as I'm leaning more towards self-harm, sadly but this statement along with mention of Mohawk Park, the car being left there, and North Tulsa...well, I can't help thinking it could be a possibility.

It's really more the edge of Owasso than what is typically referred to as "North Tulsa".

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back