OK OK - Tracey Neilson, 21, Moore, 5 January 1981

I believe they thoroughly checked out her ex as well as a girl from OSU that had been maybe a sorority sister.

I think the cable ticket was timed at 11:55 almost exactly the time that the murder was said to have occurred. It would have been almost impossible for it not to be one and the same person. Or a cable employee not to have seen who went to the door. her apartment opened basically to the street and it was very wide open with no trees or brush it would be easy to see.

I'm from the area and also have a history in doing telcom work so this a bit interesting to me.. Some things that stand out on this ticket.

Two 'time' locations.. 'Time assign 11:51' might not be the time he was there. It might be the time the ticket assigned and the second time location could be intended for when the ticket was closed or when the repair work completed.

It doesn't list the full number.

The trouble box not checked and I can't make out the color code for the pair. That doesn't look like the color code I worked with though it could have been a paper insulated cable but I don't think so since the "PIC" box checked. That should stand for plastic insulated cable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/25-pair_color_code

I also can't read 'trouble cause' either..

There seems to be a lot of halfassedry going on here but it could be the area also. Some places keep better records than others. Some other things I would look into is if Bell had any strikes going at the time around the area. If so that would point to a contractor. Now contractors in these days (long before I worked in the business) were a real mixed and rogue lot. Well paid highway tramps in a way. Up and down the road every few months or more to the next job and next location. A lot of people on the run from various things anyway like child support, tax evasion.. A lot of bar hoppers and all.. So in theory a contractor from the time would not have an issue working under an fake identity or records just being lost to time. I'm a bit mixed on it though..

Greetings to you all, new member/poster here. It would seem more to me than a very bad coincidence that she was murdered on her birthday. Suppose a moment it was not coincidence. In those days of no social media it would take some checking into her life or knowing her for the killer to have chosen her birthday as the murder date. Someone with access to her records in some capacity? Someone at the edges or just outside of her life who knew her birth date? I do think the cable ticket was a ruse, perhaps the killer's attempt to frame a suspect, which did not work out. I can't see the killer providing such a clear link to himself.

Greetings to you all, new member/poster here. It would seem more to me than a very bad coincidence that she was murdered on her birthday. Suppose a moment it was not coincidence. In those days of no social media it would take some checking into her life or knowing her for the killer to have chosen her birthday as the murder date. Someone with access to her records in some capacity? Someone at the edges or just outside of her life who knew her birth date? I do think the cable ticket was a ruse, perhaps the killer's attempt to frame a suspect, which did not work out. I can't see the killer providing such a clear link to himself.

Welcome to Ws perspicuous, thanks for chiming in!

Considering it was Tracey's birthday and in particular, her 21st birthday, it does seem like a targeted murder, imo.
Hoping that with the improved technology, something extra can now be gleaned from the fingerprint found at the scene.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/0...d-cold-case-murder-oklahoma-woman-tracey.html
In 1994, Jeff Neilson’s family helped pass a state law to fund Oklahoma’s first automated fingerprint identification system, enabling authorities to scan a database full of latent prints searching for matching characteristics. While authorities could not identify the finger print in the Neilson case, the system helped solve hundreds of violent crimes in Oklahoma

OSBI hopes information will help crack cold case of OU student killed 39 years ago

MOORE, Okla. —

Tracey Neilson would have turned 60 years old Sunday.

On Jan. 5, 1981, which was the University of Oklahoma student's 21st birthday, her husband found Neilson brutally slain in their Moore apartment. The newlyweds had been married just five months when she was found stabbed the death.

Neilson's death has not been solved, and authorities have revisited the case several times over the years. In 2015, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation released never-before-seen pictures from the crime scene, including a sketch of Neilson's stolen key chain.

Authorities also released a cable worker's ticket book with some initials on it that was left at her apartment. OSBI officials said they hope the pictures and ticket booth generate new leads.

Neilson's husband is begging for the public's help.

"There's a huge emotional burden that is placed on the family, the extended family and everyone her life touched," Dr. Jeff Neilson said.

But the leads have gone cold.

"We work tirelessly here at OSBI on behalf of families who deserve answers," Brook Arbeitman said.

But after 39 years, Arbeitman says the OSBI is not giving hope hope that the case, and so many others, will be solved.

"All these years later, her family is looking for that person that has the courage to come forward," Arbeitman said.

Tracey Diane Neilson, 21, Murdered 5 January 1981

Tracey Neilson’s brutal slaying has haunted investigators in Oklahoma for nearly four decades. But the search for the truth — and ultimately, closure for those the Oklahoma State University student and young wife left behind — continues still, as detectives hunt down new leads and turn to the public for assistance in solving one of the state’s oldest cold cases.

Neilson was killed on Jan. 5, 1981 — her 21st birthday. According to authorities, she was stabbed repeatedly in the chest and neck.

Her husband, Jeff Neilson, returned home hours later, carrying a birthday card and a bottle of perfume, to find her dead body laying across their bed. (He spent his wife’s birthday taking classes at the University of Oklahoma, where he was studying medicine, and that he was ruled out early on as a suspect in Tracey’s killing, according to investigators.)

In the ensuing years, authorities have had precious few leads to go on, other than a still-unidentified fingerprint recovered from the scene, a cable TV repair ticket found at the apartment, signed by a still-unidentified repairman, and eyewitness accounts of a white male seen near the Neilsons’ front door.

According to police, there were no signs of forced entry at the home in Moore, Oklahoma, and Tracey’s remains showed no signs she had been sexually assaulted.

But detectives hope that a recently released piece of evidence — Tracey’s keychain, which her killer may have taken as a “trophy” — could generate new tips in the case...

... Those with any information about the case are asked to call the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation at 800-522-8017.

LINKS:

Tracey Neilson Murder: Oklahoma Detectives Seek Public's Help in Cold Case

Tracey Diane Waterfield Neilson (1960-1981) -...

Last edited:
The Moore Police Department responded to the scene and worked the case until the next day when the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (OSBI) was requested to assist. Over the course of the past 40 years, thousands of leads have been followed, interviews conducted and evidence analyzed.
upload_2021-1-5_16-35-1.jpeg

One of the best pieces of evidence in the case is a latent fingerprint that was left at the scene. Unfortunately, in the 1980s, matching latent prints to a suspect was time-consuming and incredibly difficult, especially if there was no known suspect for comparison.

Jeff Neilson’s family worked with the OSBI to educate the Oklahoma Legislature about the Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS). AFIS can scan a national database of latent prints for comparison much faster and with better accuracy than a manual search. In 1994, the legislature agreed to purchase the OSBI AFIS, which was dedicated to Tracey.

On the anniversary of Tracey’s death, the OSBI is committed to seeking justice on her behalf.

If you have any information about Tracey’s death, contact the OSBI at (800) 522-8017 or tips@osbi.ok.gov.
OSBI continues to search for answers on 40th anniversary of OU student homicide

Jan 10, 2021
Sister, OSBI continue to have hope in solving 40-year cold case of slain woman
''The OSBI is still looking to solve the case, vowing to get justice.

“I hope that by Jan. 5, 2022, we have identified a suspect in this case,” said Brook Arbeitman, with the OSBI. “I’m sure that would be an enormous relief to Tracey’s family and loved ones and friends who all miss her dearly. We’re never going to stop. We’re going to find out who did this.”

Why don’t they look into the sorority sister a little bit further? They know the coincidences surrounding it being her birthday ... and how someone who gets stabbed that many times would have had to have had it out for that person. Definitely not random. The ticket book is not significant and probably will is just something that was thrown there to throw people off. Use the clues right in front of your face . This chick’s alibi is not solid and has changed a few times. Do your job, OSBI! Geez.

Hello all, I am a new member here on WS. I am a private detective here in Oklahoma, and you may have seen articles related to the Judith Elwell case, which I have been working for years. I will save that for another time, but as for the case of Tracey Neilson, I might add the following:
We must keep in mind that the authorities are in no way releasing ALL the evidence they have in this case. There is a lot we, as the public, do not know about.
The devil is often in the details, and the details are often locked securely away.
If one examines the story, they will see that the victim had gone to a "nearby" grocery store that day. There is a grocery store located a few hundred feet north of her apartment. This particular store has been there since 1961, thereby making it a good possibility that she went there.
The grocery store is within walking distance, thereby showing the possibility that the victim walked to the store, rather than drove.
The historical record shows a slightly chilly high that day of 44 degrees, and partly sunny, so not too cold to walk to the store.
In order to walk to this particular grocery store, she would have had to pass through one of many gaps in the privacy fence, if it were there at that time.
She would have also had to pass by one of several telephone risers which are clearly located in the right-of-way between the apartments and the store, thereby creating the possibility that a phone company repairman was near where she passed to go to the store.
The nagging question is- why would a telephone repairman, who may have had any intention of doing the victim harm, take the time to COMPLETELY fill out a ticket book? A ticket book that clearly has to be turned in at some point?
Why would a repairman do that? As you can see by the hand writing, he has filled the form out in a calm manner, not hurriedly or sloppy in manner, AND SIGNED IT!
Why would this repairman put himself at the crime scene by filling this out and signing it?
Let me express my opinion on the book. It is not a fake ticket book, has several other pages that we aren't privy to see, has been clearly and neatly filled out, and appears to be signed by Joe, employee #143.
Please keep in mind what a messy deed the murderer has just done, these types of incidents result in the murderer being very often covered in spatter, yet in broad daylight, high noon, he went back to finish his workday looking that way?
I welcome questions, comments, suggestions, threats, personal insults etc. and look forward to being a part of this community.
Thank You.

Why don’t they look into the sorority sister a little bit further? They know the coincidences surrounding it being her birthday ... and how someone who gets stabbed that many times would have had to have had it out for that person. Definitely not random. This chick’s alibi is not solid and has changed a few times. She was supposed to meet Tracey at noon for lunch, but didn’t. Someone who is obsessed with someone doesn’t miss lunch with them. And about that number in the ticket book. 143 can also mean “I love you” .... I think the ticket book otherwise is insignificant.

Reactions: MBS
Jan 10, 2021
Sister, OSBI continue to have hope in solving 40-year cold case of slain woman
''The OSBI is still looking to solve the case, vowing to get justice.

“I hope that by Jan. 5, 2022, we have identified a suspect in this case,” said Brook Arbeitman, with the OSBI. “I’m sure that would be an enormous relief to Tracey’s family and loved ones and friends who all miss her dearly. We’re never going to stop. We’re going to find out who did this.”
Why don’t they look into the sorority sister a little bit further? They know the coincidences surrounding it being her birthday ... and how someone who gets stabbed that many times would have had to have had it out for that person. Definitely not random. She was supposed to
have lunch with this girl that day. And then her story changed as to why she couldn’t make it... someone who is obsessed with someone doesn’t miss an opportunity to be with them. The ticket book is not significant and probably just something that was thrown there to throw people off . This chick’s alibi is not solid and has changed a few times. I sure hope OSBI didn’t sweep this under the rug....

Reactions: MBS
Did she go to OU or OSU? I’ve seen both. As someone who went to high school in Lawton, I remember the school being divided pretty equally between the two as fans. It was a huge rivalry. Might have absolutely nothing to do with the case but I’m curious. Also, did her husband go to the same school or the rival school? Just wondering. MOO.

Why don’t they look into the sorority sister a little bit further? They know the coincidences surrounding it being her birthday ... and how someone who gets stabbed that many times would have had to have had it out for that person. Definitely not random. The ticket book is not significant and probably will is just something that was thrown there to throw people off. Use the clues right in front of your face . This chick’s alibi is not solid and has changed a few times. Do your job, OSBI! Geez.

I would really be interested to know if sorority sister had any ties or knew anyone who worked at the utility company where she would have access to such ticket book.

Do you think back then they just thought a woman wasn't capable of doing that to another woman? They just automatically thought male?

I would have loved to see what a profiler says about being murdered on your birthday. Like significant or not? Says something or just a coincidence?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back