WI WI - Cassian, WhtFem adult, UP78541, manual strangulation, very broad nose, clothing, ring, Sep'47

JovanSrna

Reaction score
The list of missing people on NamUs for the time period isn't very encouraging for this Jane Doe.
They're all considerably younger than the age estimate the coroner provided.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
This missing woman from Delaware is the only one with even a remote chance of being her but even that is quite distant.
The height and age estimate would be in line with the coroner's findings but the Jane Doe is quite a bit heavier.
A lot about this missing woman is unknown, even the exact time she went missing.
A granddaughter saw her in winter of one of the following years: 1938, 1939 or 1940.
It's hard to imagine an older woman disappearing for nearly a decade only to be strangled and buried in distant Wisconsin.

Bumping Cassian Jane Doe with her NamUs page in full:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Female
Uncertain
Date Body Found: September 14, 1947
Location Found: Cassian, Wisconsin
Estimated Age Range: --

Case Information

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number: --
ME/C Case Number: 47-OC-Doe, Jane

Demographics
Sex: Female
Race / Ethnicity: Uncertain

Possible First Name: --
Possible Middle Name: --
Possible Last Name: --
Nickname/Alias: --

Estimated Age Group: Adult
Estimated Age Range (Years): --

Estimated Year of Death: --
Estimated PMI: --

Height: 5' 2"(62 inches) , Measured
Weight: 170 lbs, Measured

Circumstances
Type: Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found: September 14, 1947
NamUs Case Created: March 5, 2021
ME/C QA Reviewed: --

Location Found Map
County: Oneida County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped): --
Found On Tribal Land: No

Circumstances of Recovery:
Victim was located in a shallow grave in a rural area near an old grass covered roadway. The grave was located approximately 3.5 miles north of the intersection of USH 51 and USH 8.
Victim was lying facedown in the grave in a state of decomposition.

Details of Recovery
Inventory of Remains: --
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction

Physical Description
Hair Color: Brown
Head Hair Description: --
Body Hair Description: --
Facial Hair Description: --

Left Eye Color: Unknown
Right Eye Color: Unknown
Eye Description: --

Distinctive Physical Features
Other distinctive physical characteristic:
-very broad nose
-hair brownish turning gray
-2 distinct lines running from forehead down to nose
-very small feet and ankles​

Clothing and Accessories
Clothing:
-rayon or silk pants, undershirt and slip, large size corset
-On the Body​

Jewelry
-gold colored band on left ring finger
-On the Body

Cassian Jane Doe is getting a brief mention in this article about Mary Jane Croft VanGilder.

bbm
(and let's keep our fingers crossed on October 5th!)

Shelby police detective taking part in exhumations to ID bodies
Turner also looking into Jane Doe found in Wisconsin
In May, Turner noticed a new entry on a national database that reports missing and unidentified people.

"A body was found in 1947 in Cassian, Wisconsin," he said.

Turner emailed the local medical examiner, who called him back within 10 minutes.

"A female was found in a shallow grave," the detective said. "They were cleaning out old files in a basement. She (medical examiner) did not know this Jane Doe existed."

An exhumation is scheduled for Oct. 5. Turner said he planned to come back to Shelby after the Indiana exhumation, then fly to Wisconsin.

"We're kind of hitting this from all angles," he said.

Mary Jane Croft VanGilder's WS thread:
OH - OH - Mary J. Croft Vangilder, 43, Plymouth, 1945

"The body of an unidentified female homicide victim was exhumed from a cemetery on Tuesday (I assume Oct. 5th, 2021).

The Jane Doe was originally found on September 14, 1947, in Cassian.

After two autopsies, it was determined that the cause of her death was strangulation, and the case was ruled a homicide.Her identity, however, remained unknown for the better part of a century. Oneida County officials are working with the FBI to do what they can to find the woman’s family."

Helen Stark appears to have gone through some marital issues down state a couple of years before this UID was found; height is off by quite a bit but I don't put much faith in that being 100% accurate.

Helen Stark appears to have gone through some marital issues down state a couple of years before this UID was found; height is off by quite a bit but I don't put much faith in that being 100% accurate.
Well, I would say Helen has a pretty broad nose. And is it me or are there distinct lines on her forehead in this picture? Or is it just a blemish in the photograph? Helen Stark – The Charley Project
5DDF6E34-CBE5-4E71-9BD5-E4D1BC30164F.jpeg

Blemish on photograph only. Not scar on Helen’s forehead, the nose is broad here. However, some people grown into their noses as they age and put on weight, have kids, grow taller. I did. My nose was prominent in high school. I was stick thin.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megs89
Back