GUILTY OR - Brooke Wilberger, 19, Eugene, 24 May 2004 - #2

Hi Prof, It is a delight to post along side you and I do appreciate the local 'flavor' you bring to our sleuthing of the case.

I just found this article which is filled with lots of info we have not read before. Mr Denson gives us an in depth look-see into the whole case, so well written it is almost like watching it unfold before our eyes:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/09/killer_recounts_brooke_wilberg.html

xox

ETA: Prof, The article alludes to Philomath, and am wondering if you think that is the area where she was put. A couple of miles west of Philomath. I wonder if he has family out there with acreage?

Hi Scandi,
She wasn't in Philomath, but she was still in Benton County. Once you drive west of Philomath, you are in the coast range. I think she was put closer to Blodgett. It's all wooded up there. I guess we might eventually find out where. If he had family out there with acreage, I would think the CPD would have checked the acreage before. I do think he probably knew the roads somewhat. He was supposed to be in Newport for a DUII hearing the day he took Brooke, so we know that he has spent some time in Newport and has probably taken the Corvallis Newport Highway before. Here is link to a video that hints she was about 3 miles from Blodgett http://kohd.com/news/local/142310

Oh my gosh! How many times have I driven by there during the past 5 years on my way to Newport? One year I stopped many times along the route to take pictures of the beautiful leaves turning in the fall...

It is almost like Brooke was whispering in the wind up there.

oooooh, this is so painfully sad, to hear the details. She's been on my mind for years. I posted about Brooke and the article about the students being stalked in Lindsey's thread when Lindsey disappeared.

This case is going to be featured on Dateline tonight at 8:00 PM Central time if anyone is interested.

'Dateline' has new revelations in Brooke Wilberger murder

The family of Brooke Wilberger's killer is breaking their silence for the first time, opening up, about how they pieced together that their brother, Joel Courtney, was a murderer.
Courtney's sister Dina recalled when her brother disappeared, during which time he abducted and killed Wilberger. He came back with a wild story.

"He walked through the door and announced kind of loudly, you'll never believe where I've been, " said sister Dina Courtney McBride. "I said okay, where were you? I was kidnapped, (he said). There were these guys. They had guns and knives and we were in the woods. It was rainy and cold and there was a girl there and we were hiding. And y'know there was blood and it was awful."

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/New-Revelations-in-Brooke-Wilberger-Murder-115337369.html

ETA: I'm watching the show & they said Courtney tried to rape his own sister....other details too like throwing a fax machine at a doctor.

'Dateline' has new revelations in Brooke Wilberger murder

The family of Brooke Wilberger's killer is breaking their silence for the first time, opening up, about how they pieced together that their brother, Joel Courtney, was a murderer.
Courtney's sister Dina recalled when her brother disappeared, during which time he abducted and killed Wilberger. He came back with a wild story.

"He walked through the door and announced kind of loudly, you'll never believe where I've been, " said sister Dina Courtney McBride. "I said okay, where were you? I was kidnapped, (he said). There were these guys. They had guns and knives and we were in the woods. It was rainy and cold and there was a girl there and we were hiding. And y'know there was blood and it was awful."

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/New-Revelations-in-Brooke-Wilberger-Murder-115337369.html

ETA: I'm watching the show & they said Courtney tried to rape his own sister....other details too like throwing a fax machine at a doctor.
Thanks Texas Mist, I watched it too and it was all I could do to stop from tearing up as I listened to Brooke's family and realized all they had been thru since the day she was taken. Even the one investigator on the case said there were times when he just lost it.

There will always be a spot in my heart for Brooke and her family. Thanks to every effort that brought her back home to rest.

Brooke's Mom said something that I thought was very memorable. That everyone always talks about getting closure. She said she doesn't think there is ever closure in a case like Brooke's. A child taken and needlessly murdered. I just admire her so much, so solid and strong and still gentle and all from her heart.

Does anyone know about why Mr Wilberger wasn't on Dateline?

xox

My mom watched it and said it was really good and insisted I watch it online! Thank you for making my life easy by providing the link! :rocker:

Hi Kimster, I wanted to share this, written by the producer of the 2 hr Dateline show of Feb 4th this year. What he writes seems to give reason to why Brooke and her case touched so many people in a profound way. It is so from the heart, reading it will bring tears to your eyes:

http://insidedateline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/02/04/5990929-10-questions-for-bringing-brooke-home-producer

Krams

This case is going to be featured on Dateline tonight at 8:00 PM Central time if anyone is interested.

Thanks for reminding me. I did watch it.

One of the comments that really affected me was when the family went to the place in the forest where Brooke was found someone remarked it was a beautiful, peaceful place, something like that.

And Brooke's mom said that it would be beautiful if your daughter was not murdered here.
I'll have to get the exact quote.

It's at the end of Part 11 http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032600/vp/41427201#/41433670

Thanks for reminding me. I did watch it.

One of the comments that really affected me was when the family went to the place in the forest where Brooke was found someone remarked it was a beautiful, peaceful place, something like that.

And Brooke's mom said that it would be beautiful if your daughter was not murdered here.
I'll have to get the exact quote.

It's at the end of Part 11 http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032600/vp/41427201#/41433670

Hi Concentric, Yes I remember her saying that. Thanks for Part 11 ;}

Hi Concentric, Yes I remember her saying that. Thanks for Part 11 ;}

Here is the last segment of that Dateline show where Brooke's mom makes those statements. You were right on with what she said Concentric about the place where Brooke was murdered.

And the quote about closure was: " . . but I think in the death of anyone there is no closure."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032600/vp/41427201#41433670

xox

I remember sitting in my computer chair, looking at Webslueths when Brooke's family was on either Good Morning America or the Today Show pleading for her safe return.

such a heartbreaking case. :(

Brooke was stunningly beautiful. And so clean and wholesome looking. Young women like her must be an irresistible challenge to scum like Courtney. Look at her picture ... and think of the potential that was wiped out by that .

Maybe I'll watch the Dateline videos, but it is going to make me boiling mad. Brooke didn't deserve any of what happened to her. I feel so sorry for Brooke's family. and even for the Courtney family. It's hard on all of them.

I am watching Brooke's story on Dateline tonight. I hadn't heard of it before. Prayers for those that knew and loved her. She was beautiful.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I didn't know about Websleuths during the time, but this case scared everyone around here. Her pictures were everywhere. The killer grabbed her so fast - I still can't believe it. She was left in an area where she would never have been found. I guess the killer did one good thing in his miserable life by leading detectives to her grave.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back