GUILTY OR - Dan Brophy, fatally shot at Oregon Culinary Institute, 2 June 2018 *Wife Arrested*

Monday, April 18th:
*Trial continues (Day 9) (@ 9am PT) – OR - Daniel Craig Brophy (63) (June 2, 2018, Portland) – *Nancy Lee Crampton-Brophy (68/now 71) “wife” arrested (9/5/18), charged (9/6/18) & arraigned (9/17/18) with felony murder & unlawful use of a weapon. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Bond was denied (4/29/20).
Trial bean on 3/14/22 with jury selection & ended 3/18/22. Trial began on 4/4/22 (expected to last to 5/20/22).
Court hearings from 9/6/18 thru 2/18/22 & Jury selection Day 1-5 (3/14 to 3/18/22) & Trial Day 1-7 (4/4 to 4/13/22) reference post #229 here:
OR - Dan Brophy, fatally shot at Oregon Culinary Institute, 2 June 2018 *Wife Arrested*

4/14/22 Thursday, Trial Day 8: State witnesses: Steven C. Santos, works for a brokerage firm; insurance analyst back on stand; continues on direct, cross & rebuttal. Terri Reed, friend (about 14 years) of Nancy’s & in writers group (Rose City Romance group). Jessica Marie Smith, friend (for about 10 years) of Nancy’s & in writers group. Heidi Hutchinson, ex-next door neighbor.
for more info see post #236 here:
OR - Dan Brophy, fatally shot at Oregon Culinary Institute, 2 June 2018 *Wife Arrested*
State witnesses continued: Ajenby Singh, neighbor kitty-corner across the street. Arun Singh, neighbor kitty-corner across the street. Andrew Bresciani, worked for a moving & storage company. Nancy called him for quote to move from Portland to either Nevada & Arizona. Nathaniel Stillwater, son of Dan.
for more info see post #241 here:
No trial on Friday. Trial continues on Monday, 4/18/22.

Comments on YouTube say that the prosecutors are inept. I think they're pretty good, because "plain vanilla" undercuts the frou-frou of the romantic suspense and "let's get this into the weeds" tactic of defense.

The woman prosecutor seems like she needs more practice—and the insurance stuff came out especially messy—but that insurance stuff is difficult on a good day, it would have been a steep learning curve for her, their witness is a newbie for expert witness (I doubt that he'd even been in a courtroom before), and everything was last minute because their previous insurance expert died.

She should have kept the insurance guy much more brief, but he wasn't experienced, either. All she really needed was two types: term and whole/universal, the dates of the policies, the idea that $800 premiums for DB was waaaaay out of line for a budget and should never have happened, something like 50+% of their budget was being spent on various forms of insurance. She needed to have him spell out types of insurance: renters', life, health, disability, auto, homeowners, pet, flood, etc. etc. This should have been a 20 minute direct.

All IMO

LOL Defense doesn't want a witness (Cowan?) to be called because they haven't prepared for him to be called today. This is not looking too smart.

Day 9 - April 18th:
Morning session:

Afternoon session:

Now I have to listen to both to get who the witnesses were... BRB...

Tuesday, April 19th:
*Trial continues (Day 10) (@ 9am PT) – OR - Daniel Craig Brophy (63) (June 2, 2018, Portland) – *Nancy Lee Crampton-Brophy (68/now 71) “wife” arrested (9/5/18), charged (9/6/18) & arraigned (9/17/18) with felony murder & unlawful use of a weapon. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Bond was denied (4/29/20).
Trial bean on 3/14/22 with jury selection & ended 3/18/22. Trial began on 4/4/22 (expected to last to 5/20/22).
Court hearings from 9/6/18 thru 2/18/22 & Jury selection Day 1-5 (3/14 to 3/18/22) & Trial Day 1-8 (4/4 to 4/14/22) reference post #244 here:

4/18/22 Monday, Trial Day 9: Judge was going to have a 104 hearing regarding other acts.
State witnesses: Megan Light, friend of Nancy since early 90s & Dan later 80s. Brett Glendinning, worked at J&B Firearms in Feb. 2018. Det. Anthony Merrill. Det. Eric McDaniel, works for City of Portland LE assigned to homicide unit, documenting evidence. He executed search warrant for storage until in Beaverton.
for more info see post #248 am session here:
State witnesses: Officer Aaron Sparling, works for Portland Police Bureau, digital evidence & computer analyst unit. Kyle Martin, now works wedding parties, previously owned Ghost Guns dot com. And back is Officer Aaron Sparling. Patrick Cowen, owns Carolina Colt Co., a firearms store.
for more info see post #248 pm session here:
Trial continues on 4/19/22.

Does anyone know what the material was from Power Tech and Kermit Dove that the judge nuked? It must be a different gun shop that we haven’t heard about? We already heard from the 3 sources corresponding to the 3 weapons (Complete Glock, Glock slide, Glock build kit). Was there a 4th weapon?

Ooohhhh, a little careful research:Kermit Dove is a gun smith. He can custom machine. Wow, I wonder what she was going to use him for. His LE interview was evidently nuked as well..
Maybe she wanted a custom slide or something? Evidently, her search for him was among the other searches (that’s all the info that seems to be available, but maybe February 2018?). By then, NB had already purchased the gun kit and maybe even the Glock from the gun show.

Wednesday, April 20th:
*Trial continues (Day 11) (@ 9am PT) – OR - Daniel Craig Brophy (63) (June 2, 2018, Portland) – *Nancy Lee Crampton-Brophy (68/now 71) “wife” arrested (9/5/18), charged (9/6/18) & arraigned (9/17/18) with felony murder & unlawful use of a weapon. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Bond was denied (4/29/20).
Court hearings from 9/6/18 thru 2/18/22 & Jury selection Day 1-5 (3/14 to 3/18/22) & Trial Day 1-9 (4/4 to 4/18/22) reference post #249 here:

4/19/22 Tuesday, Trial Day 10: State witnesses: Leland Samuelson, forensic scientist works at Portland Metro Lab in firearms, tool marks analyst. Recalled Officer Aaron Sparling works for PPB digital & computer evidence analyst unit. Recalled Kelsey Guay, PPD, investigative analyst for all detectives’ division at the time of murder. Showed where phones were located for that day.
for more info see post #252 am session here:
State witnesses: Carl Hopp works for Glock, Inc. in commercial sales manager for northwest. Recall Det. Anthony Merrill, lead detective. Sgt. Jeffrey McDaniel works for PPB (21 years) as Patrol Sgt. North precinct. Recall Det. Darren Posey, Portland Police Bureau in crimes related to firearms; was in homicide detail when crime occurred.
for more info see post #252 pm session here:
Trial continues on 4/20/22.

This trial seems to be getting very repetitive. The State has multiple sources for each piece of circumstantial evidence. The defense is whiny, all over the place, and manipulative. Their client stares at witnesses and jury relentlessly. Can you have a borderline personality defense style? I’m thinking yes, and it’s mighty tedious.
I might have to turn off the livestream until NB is on the stand. I want to see her eviscerated in cross by prosecution for damaging so many people. She’s destroyed the lives of so many decent folks.

4/20/22 - Day 11 - Morning session:

4/20/22 - Day 11 - Afternoon Session:

Thursday, April 20th:
*Trial continues (Day 12) (@ 9am PT) – OR - Daniel Craig Brophy (63) (June 2, 2018, Portland) – *Nancy Lee Crampton-Brophy (68/now 71) “wife” arrested (9/5/18), charged (9/6/18) & arraigned (9/17/18) with felony murder & unlawful use of a weapon. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Bond was denied (4/29/20).
Court hearings from 9/6/18 thru 2/18/22 & Jury selection Day 1-5 (3/14 to 3/18/22) & Trial Day 1-10 (4/4 to 4/19/22) reference post #253 here:

4/20/22 Wednesday, Trial Day 11: State witnesses: Michelle Reveneau, friend (20 + yrs) & Nancy is client (hairdresser). Son worked for Nancy. Tania Medlin, kitchen manager at Prestiage Care. Friends of Dan & Nancy about 25 to 30 years). Andria Alderson-Such works for Safe Corp (State compensation) as senior claims adjuster at the time of murder. Stephanie Eakin works for Safe Corp. as a claims fraud investigator.
for more info see post #255 am session here:
State witnesses: Robert Azorr works at Portland police investigator accountant (civilian). State’s last witness.
for more info see post #255 pm session here:
Trial continues on 4/21/22.

Can anyone figure out Nancy Brophy? I understand the facts of the crime and the money motive, but who is Nancy Brophy as a person?
I think many witnesses thought they knew her, and they've become mentally in turmoil because they obviously didn't. They never thought she'd do anything like this. But she did. And getting that wrong has turned many of their worlds upside down.
So, who is Nancy Brophy as a person?
I see a lot of glibness in her writings, and maybe that's a pointer (but maybe not). I see her staring at witnesses and intimidating them (see the testimony of the poor investigator from SAIF, but also family members, students, etc.). On phone calls with detectives, she sounds like chatty cathy and not remotely dangerous (though she's killed her husband an hour or two before). From the financials, I see she has fantasies about how she wants to live and doesn't pay attention to reality.
These observations are from evidence presented at trial.
For me, this kind of person is terrifying. You think you know who they are, and then all of a sudden you realize you got them completely wrong. Not only that, they're extremely dangerous. IMO this can be very traumatising.

Thursday, April 20th:
*Trial continues (Day 12) (@ 9am PT) – OR - Daniel Craig Brophy (63) (June 2, 2018, Portland) – *Nancy Lee Crampton-Brophy (68/now 71) “wife” arrested (9/5/18), charged (9/6/18) & arraigned (9/17/18) with felony murder & unlawful use of a weapon. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Bond was denied (4/29/20).
Court hearings from 9/6/18 thru 2/18/22 & Jury selection Day 1-5 (3/14 to 3/18/22) & Trial Day 1-10 (4/4 to 4/19/22) reference post #253 here:

4/20/22 Wednesday, Trial Day 11: State witnesses: Michelle Reveneau, friend (20 + yrs) & Nancy is client (hairdresser). Son worked for Nancy. Tania Medlin, kitchen manager at Prestiage Care. Friends of Dan & Nancy about 25 to 30 years). Andria Alderson-Such works for Safe Corp (State compensation) as senior claims adjuster at the time of murder. Stephanie Eakin works for Safe Corp. as a claims fraud investigator.
for more info see post #255 am session here:
State witnesses: Robert Azorr works at Portland police investigator accountant (civilian). State’s last witness.
for more info see post #255 pm session here:
Trial continues on 4/21/22.
Thanks so much for doing all these, @Niner !

For the good of the order.... Oregon's Worker's Comp organization is spelled SAIF. All caps.

Can anyone figure out Nancy Brophy? I understand the facts of the crime and the money motive, but who is Nancy Brophy as a person?
I think many witnesses thought they knew her, and they've become mentally in turmoil because they obviously didn't. They never thought she'd do anything like this. But she did. And getting that wrong has turned many of their worlds upside down.
So, who is Nancy Brophy as a person?
I see a lot of glibness in her writings, and maybe that's a pointer (but maybe not). I see her staring at witnesses and intimidating them (see the testimony of the poor investigator from SAIF, but also family members, students, etc.). On phone calls with detectives, she sounds like chatty cathy and not remotely dangerous (though she's killed her husband an hour or two before). From the financials, I see she has fantasies about how she wants to live and doesn't pay attention to reality.
These observations are from evidence presented at trial.
For me, this kind of person is terrifying. You think you know who they are, and then all of a sudden you realize you got them completely wrong. Not only that, they're extremely dangerous. IMO this can be very traumatising.
Yes, terrifying. . . 'what you see' is not 'what you get'!
Nancy Brophy is odd, and my initial impression of her is 'ditzy'.
I have watched some of this trial, but focused my attention the past few weeks on Husel trial and Barisone trial. Therefore, to catch up, I am appreciative of your comments, updates by @Niner, and recap by CourtTV.
OR v. Crampton-Brophy: Romance Novelist Murder Trial - Court TV

Another odd female murderer is Lois Riess, also in 2018. Seemingly 'normal' !?! . . .
. . . and then at age 58 murders her husband by gunshot in their Minnesota home, then drives to Florida (gambling along the way) where she meets a stranger - a 59 year-old woman at a hotel on vacation. She befriends the woman and within a day or two, shoots and kills the woman and then steals her car, credit cards, etc. She then drives to Texas, more gambling along her travels, where she seemed inclined to repeat her murderous behavior, but was apprehended in a bar by authorities.
GUILTY - Fugitive Lois Riess, 56, arrested by US Marshals for alleged murders in MN and FL, Mar 2018

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnceAgain
Back