OR OR - David 'Dave' Lewis, 46, Ashland, 4 September 2008

ADMIN NOTE:

Please read:

Mods exist to deal with violations of TOS. Please remember that WS has over 215,000 members and our very few volunteer staff have thousands of threads to deal with. Unfortunately they do not have time to be responding to a bevy of private messages from umpteen members with their thoughts on the case or other members, or just because you disagree with another member or want to tell us all about them.

With thousands of threads to deal with and hundreds of alerts on TOS violations, staff moderate with unbiased minds as much as they possibly can. They do not take sides and do not have time to get into the intricacies of every single case that exists at Websleuths. We do not take specific action just because members want us to do such-and-such, so please do not make demands or tell us what to do.. Please just use the Report feature (at the bottom of each post) ... it will go to our Moderating team, your alert will be reviewed, and action taken only if the Mods or Admins determine it is necessary.

Also, nobody has time to go back 5,000 years to change posts that have never been alerted on up until now. If it wasn't a problem then it probably isn't now.

This thread is open again.

I was thinking about the burning house and it reminded me of Ed Krahel’s murder in Ashland back in 1993. Ed was a harmless eccentric who frequented local bars, and had a collection of real train cars in his yard. That was protested by neighbors, and although the City ruled against him at first, the trains stayed, and I expect the whole train debacle made him some enemies.

We lived near Ed at the time. One night about 1:00 a.m. in January 1993, I woke up to lights, motors and the sound of water running. I could tell something was up, so I got dressed and walked towards the light and saw fire trucks putting out a big fire at Ed’s. No sign of Ed. His body was found inside, with skull damage. Twelve years went by and the murder hadn’t been solved, until a vehicle was pulled over for some reason in SoCal and the passenger blurted out a confession! He was a student at the local university, and Ed had brought him home from the bar, they got into an altercation and he hit Ed on the head with a wine bottle, set the fire, quit school and left town. No amount of police work would have ever solved it had he not confessed.

Bringing this back to Dave, I believe I read that he had been in Ashland that day, so I wonder if he gave someone a ride up the mountain, was hospitable and something similar happened. Dave’s murder seems more targeted, with the somewhat skilled arson and other cabin fire, but Ed’s murder made me think that perhaps it was random and not someone local. Probably far-fetched, but that’s all I’ve got.

I was thinking about the burning house and it reminded me of Ed Krahel’s murder in Ashland back in 1993. Ed was a harmless eccentric who frequented local bars, and had a collection of real train cars in his yard. That was protested by neighbors, and although the City ruled against him at first, the trains stayed, and I expect the whole train debacle made him some enemies.

We lived near Ed at the time. One night about 1:00 a.m. in January 1993, I woke up to lights, motors and the sound of water running. I could tell something was up, so I got dressed and walked towards the light and saw fire trucks putting out a big fire at Ed’s. No sign of Ed. His body was found inside, with skull damage. Twelve years went by and the murder hadn’t been solved, until a vehicle was pulled over for some reason in SoCal and the passenger blurted out a confession! He was a student at the local university, and Ed had brought him home from the bar, they got into an altercation and he hit Ed on the head with a wine bottle, set the fire, quit school and left town. No amount of police work would have ever solved it had he not confessed.

Bringing this back to Dave, I believe I read that he had been in Ashland that day, so I wonder if he gave someone a ride up the mountain, was hospitable and something similar happened. Dave’s murder seems more targeted, with the somewhat skilled arson and other cabin fire, but Ed’s murder made me think that perhaps it was random and not someone local. Probably far-fetched, but that’s all I’ve got.

I've never sensed Dave's case was random with the multiple crime scenes but like with Ed's case maybe the time will come when the person turns themselves in and confesses. An acquaintance was interviewed in Ed's case, they were really scared because they had gone to his house on occasion, and there was no proof they didn't do it. I'm reasonably certain justice will prevail, eventually. David deserves that.

I've never sensed Dave's case was random with the multiple crime scenes but like with Ed's case maybe the time will come when the person turns themselves in and confesses. <modsnip: posting inside information without properly being verified> I'm reasonably certain justice will prevail, eventually. David deserves that.

<modsnip> Even leaving Troy’s murder out of it, I agree that Dave’s murder was likely targeted. Ed’s case popped into my head, since that’s all I’ve got.

From a couple of your earlier posts, some things to chew on…

MOTIVATION-WHY
ANIMUS) possible
RANDOM) unlikely
THEFT) possible
GRUDGE) possible
RAGE) likely

I’m interested that you only label rage as “likely.”

Why Labor Day weekend?
Why September 3rd pm September 4th early am?
What contact did David have with his killer in weeks or months leading up to his murder?
Who was David afraid of?
Who had been on the land in the months before the murder?
Who needed something David had?
Who needed money?
Who had a (THE) gun?
Who had the means to commit a murder & two arsons and disappear into the night?
Who had David pissed off enough for murder?
Was Conde Creek Rd flagged with yellow tape that night?

Could Labor Day have been the last chance to get it done, for any number of reasons? Was Dave about to blow the lid off something?

I wonder if more than one person was involved, given the murder and two arsons.

Were there a lot of marijuana grows on Dave’s road? If so, how did Dave feel about it? Was he a grower? (I think that would have been mentioned). Even non-growers were in danger. When we lived in Humboldt County (in the Emerald Triangle), people were getting killed. In at least one case, people from the Bay Area drove up the wrong driveway and killed the homeowner (a teacher) because she didn’t have the pot they were expecting to rip off. Scary times…still is.

Was Dave’s gate locked when the fire was discovered? If so, did the killer come on foot…or have a key?

Just some random thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
That must have been really scary for your acquaintance! Even leaving Troy’s murder out of it, I agree that Dave’s murder was likely targeted. Ed’s case popped into my head, since that’s all I’ve got.

Could Labor Day have been the last chance to get it done, for any number of reasons? Was Dave about to blow the lid off something?

Were there a lot of marijuana grows on Dave’s road? If so, how did Dave feel about it? Was he a grower? (I think that would have been mentioned). Even non-growers were in danger. When we lived in Humboldt County (in the Emerald Triangle), people were getting killed. In at least one case, people from the Bay Area drove up the wrong driveway and killed the homeowner (a teacher) because she didn’t have the pot they were expecting to rip off. Scary times…still is.

Was Dave’s gate locked when the fire was discovered? If so, did the killer come on foot…or have a key?

Excellent questions. He kept the gate locked unless he was expecting someone, I think at least one person either shared the driveway or had property rights to use the driveway. The property could also be accessed from Shale City rd, and then across the meadow (dirtbike accessible) and up a little incline to the cabin. Dave had been in prison for growing marijuana 20-20 years before his death, so that can't be ruled out as a possibility. It's definitely dangerous to drive up the wrong driveway during harvest season. If he was growing, I'd be surprised as he'd learned his lesson there and didn't use cannabis himself. I personally think it was only one person but again that's hard to say. Who would go to all the trouble? The driveway is long and steep, with deep ruts, you have to want to get to the top of that hill to drive up there, it's not a casual driveway. As for Labor Day, I've wondered if someone traveled there specifically to confront David. It was still warm during the days, in the 90's, and hadn't started getting cold in the mountains yet, so getting off the highway and camping would have been an option, which is why I think Troy's case could be linked. If someone was in the valley in anticipation of confronting David, they could have been using the showers and other services at the Pilot Truck Stop. Troy could have been an unwitting witness. As far as rage, it's very very likely whoever it was, was mad, mad, mad. So mad they'd lie in wait, possibly follow him home, disable him, tie him up, rifle through his possessions (vehicles/$/?), shoot him, douse his body with accelerants, set his house on fire and still go set another fire before disappearing that night. I mean what is there to gain by these actions? I saw Troy's Mom posted that she checked, and there was no moon 9/1. Have you ever been out in the woods with no moon? You can't see anything unless it's illuminated. So it definitely requires some rage and some planning to do all those things in the dark dark. I'm not an expert in psychology or anything though. I can't imagine what it would take to put all those wheels into motion. The person must have been exhausted afterwards. I've always wondered if the person(s) were at his memorial?

That must have been really scary for your acquaintance! Even leaving Troy’s murder out of it, I agree that Dave’s murder was likely targeted. Ed’s case popped into my head, since that’s all I’ve got.

My understanding is Dave had two uncashed checks on his windowsill from an inheritance after his mother's death. He had never cashed them for whatever reason, he didn't "need" the money and it was like savings for him without the bank. Wish he'd cashed them now.
Q: Were those checks ever cashed?
Q: Did someone have money to spare after his death?

Excellent questions. He kept the gate locked unless he was expecting someone, I think at least one person either shared the driveway or had property rights to use the driveway. The property could also be accessed from Shale City rd, and then across the meadow (dirtbike accessible) and up a little incline to the cabin. Dave had been in prison for growing marijuana 10-20 years before his death, so that can't be ruled out as a possibility. It's definitely dangerous to drive up the wrong driveway during harvest season. If he was growing, I'd be surprised as he'd learned his lesson there and didn't use cannabis himself. I personally think it was only one person but again that's hard to say. Who would go to all the trouble? The driveway is long and steep, with deep ruts, you have to want to get to the top of that hill to drive up there, it's not a casual driveway. As for Labor Day, I've wondered if someone traveled there specifically to confront David. It was still warm during the days, in the 90's, and hadn't started getting cold in the mountains yet, so getting off the highway and camping would have been an option, which is why I think Troy's case could be linked. If someone was in the valley in anticipation of confronting David, they could have been using the showers and other services at the Pilot Truck Stop. Troy could have been an unwitting witness. As far as rage, it's very very likely whoever it was, was mad, mad, mad. So mad they'd lie in wait, possibly follow him home, disable him, tie him up, rifle through his possessions (vehicles/$/?), shoot him, douse his body with accelerants, set his house on fire and still go set another fire before disappearing that night. I mean what is there to gain by these actions? I saw Troy's Mom posted that she checked, and there was no moon 9/1. Have you ever been out in the woods with no moon? You can't see anything unless it's illuminated. So it definitely requires some rage and some planning to do all those things in the dark dark. I'm not an expert in psychology or anything though. I can't imagine what it would take to put all those wheels into motion. The person must have been exhausted afterwards. I've always wondered if the person(s) were at his memorial?
Q: Were his dirtbikes/ATV's accounted for after the fire?

It seems like a stealth approach from Shale City Rd on a dirt bike would be better than the driveway.

Whoever it was may have had a good excuse for being in the area over Labor Day, so no one would suspect. Or was able to come and go without being noticed, if they’re not from the area.

I’m intrigued by the possibility of Troy as a witness to something at the truck stop. Someone had to have had a reason to go to the trouble to kill Troy. And burn the campsite later.

Your last few sentences make me think of the accused killer of four students in Moscow ID. Lots of planning. Exhausting. We haven’t figured him out yet, but of course there are lots of theories. And he may have only planned on killing one. Dave’s killer may not have planned for quite as much “activity” as it ended up.

<modsnip>

David's mountain cabin burned Sept. 4, 2008. A badly burned body found inside. No I.D. at this time.
Remains sent to Texas DNA lab.
Sheriff feels a mysterious death. Family feels it is murder of David.

<MOD NOTE: Several original links throughout the thread were broken and have been edited to include the current link (when available) as of January 30, The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office Cold Case Team is responsible for investigating unsolved homicide and missing person cases.

On this page you will find information about unsolved homicide and missing person cases that occurred in Jackson County.

If you have any information about any of the cases listed, we strongly encourage you to contact the Jackson County Cold Case Team at (541) 774-6800.

If you wish to remain anonymous, you can call the JCSO Tip Line at (541) 774-8333.

✌️

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN NOTE:

We have invited members with inside information to apply for verification as a case insider. It may take a day or so, but as soon as final approval is given, the thread will reopen. Once reopened, any case insiders are then able to post their knowledge and inside information about the case without the usual requirement of providing links.

The following link is to a post by Tricia that explains why we have this process in place and how to apply:

ADMIN NOTE:

As Red Clover has been verified as Dave's friend, we are reopening this discussion.

As a Verified Insider, Red Clover may post their personal knowledge and inside information about the case without having to provide supporting links. In all other respects, a Verified member must post in accordance with TOS as regular members are required to do.

Please treat Red Clover with respect. As with any Verified insider, members may ask questions of them and apply however much weight they feel is appropriate to information provided. If, however, there is something you disagree with, do not bicker with them, just make your mental notes and scroll and roll.

Thanks to everyone for being here to discuss Dave's case.

My understanding is Dave had two uncashed checks on his windowsill from an inheritance after his mother's death. He had never cashed them for whatever reason, he didn't "need" the money and it was like savings for him without the bank. Wish he'd cashed them now.
Q: Were those checks ever cashed?
Q: Did someone have money to spare after his death?

And who knew about those checks?

The property where Dave was the caretaker for over 20 years sold in December. Feast your eyes on the beauty that surrounded him. His boys grew up here. There are several photos from a distance above, showing the foundation of his home the murderer/arsonist burned down with Dave’s body in it. :-(

I copied these photos from the Jackson County Oregon Assessor’s website listing for 12801 Dead Indian Memorial Road.
I’m not providing a direct link because the personal info of the owner is listed.

Dave’s cabin still standing.

Approaching the burned cabin.

THIS MAY TRIGGER TRAUMA IN SOME. The remains of Dave’s cabin.

And who knew about those checks?
That's a great question. I know of one person who asked him about giving them part of his share, Dave told them no, but told me he fully "expected them to just show up" There was a broader discussion about the disposition of his parents property and guardianship of an adult sibling as well. Others close to Dave were probably aware of the checks too, but I don't know specifically who besides the one family member he told me he had this discussion with...
✌️

I copied these photos from the Jackson County Oregon Assessor’s website listing for 12801 Dead Indian Memorial Road.
I’m not providing a direct link because the personal info of the owner is listed.

Dave’s cabin still standing.

Approaching the burned cabin.

THIS MAY TRIGGER TRAUMA IN SOME. The remains of Dave’s cabin.

I still can't believe that the old cabin and Dave are gone. The memorial was held at the site at noon on September 14th, 2008, so we all had a chance to see the devastation and make our peace. I asked his next of kin if it was alright to take a few small pieces of chipped stone from a pile of rocks off to the side that had been through the fire. I still have those smooth fire hardened pieces. They are a small reminder and a great comfort.
✌️

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back