OR OR - Jayson Thomas, 31 (fnd dec'd) & son, 3, swept out to sea, Curry Co, 15 Jan 17

Oh wow...I don't even have words. What a tragedy. May lots of angels surround Jayson and the little son as well as that poor woman left behind.

Horrible tragedy. Poor wife and mother. :(

Sneaker waves along the Oregon coast are common this time of year and have swept away many over the years. They catch people unaware who are enjoying the beach. I don't know if that's what pulled this Dad and son out to sea, but it probably was.

The video in this article shows the danger. The guy making a video of a large wave had to run for safety.
http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index.ssf/2016/07/sneaker_wave_tragedies_of_the.html

Thank you for sharing this video... being landlocked here in Toronto, I was having a hard time envisioning how this would unfold. I am speechless. What a horrible, horrible tragedy.

Thank you for sharing this video... being landlocked here in Toronto, I was having a hard time envisioning how this would unfold. I am speechless. What a horrible, horrible tragedy.
I lived in Oregon for 16 years and was having a hard time envisioning it, too, even having been there. I ended up watching a bunch of videos and it scared me!

Horrible tragedy. Poor wife and mother. :(

Sneaker waves along the Oregon coast are common this time of year and have swept away many over the years. They catch people unaware who are enjoying the beach. I don't know if that's what pulled this Dad and son out to sea, but it probably was.

The video in this article shows the danger. The guy making a video of a large wave had to run for safety.
http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index.ssf/2016/07/sneaker_wave_tragedies_of_the.html

WOW My goodness!

Its no wonder the waves like this can catch people by surprise.

Never turn your back to the ocean. Never. Wow. Wow Wow.

Thanks for sharing this video. Its amazing and shows what can happen.

It looks like a Psunami almost. Or a mini Psunami.

I have heard of Rogue waves in middle of Ocean that can capsize large ships and the waves just come out of nowhere and much larger than any other wave around them. Probably came from miles away. The rogue waves can hit boats on sunny days with no bad weather around the boat. Its a strange phenomen.

WOW My goodness!

Its no wonder the waves like this can catch people by surprise.

Never turn your back to the ocean. Never. Wow. Wow Wow.

Thanks for sharing this video. Its amazing and shows what can happen.

It looks like a Psunami almost. Or a mini Psunami.

I have heard of Rogue waves in middle of Ocean that can capsize large ships and the waves just come out of nowhere and much larger than any other wave around them. Probably came from miles away. The rogue waves can hit boats on sunny days with no bad weather around the boat. Its a strange phenomen.

I've lived in Oregon for 32 years and did not know about sneaker waves until a young couple were likely victims in 2015 and I started researching. We live a couple of hours inland and don't go to the coast too often. As we've been discussing sneaker waves on this thread, I realized that my husband and I had a close call with a small one one. Several years ago we were on a weekend getaway and were walking on the beach quite far away from where the waves were crashing. Suddenly, a wave came toward us. It wasn't large, but it kept coming, covering the entire beach. We quickly clambered up on some rocks as it reached us. Our shoes were soaked. It was quite scary. If we had been close to the waves and not been near those rocks we could have been in trouble because the water recedes quickly. Unfortunately, my husband packs lightly and only brought one pair of shoes, so he had wet feet the rest of the day. But that was a small price to pay in this situation.

Looking at his facebook and how much he clearly loves his wife and son has me in tears. I can't handle it. I HATE tragedies like this and I cannot even imagine the excruciating pain of having the love of your life and first born, and only, child taken from you in an instant. It's overwhelming to even imagine...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back