GUILTY OR - Jeanette Maples, 15, dies of abuse, torture in Eugene, 9 Dec 2009

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...46/maples-family-jeanette-daughter-eugene.csp

I think this article has been amended to include some new info. They still have Jeanette's age wrong. That bothers me as I find it very important that she was just a baby girl of 15.

"Anthony Maples hadn’t seen or heard from his daughter in nearly a decade.

But his heart still sank Thursday night, he said, when a state Department of Human Services worker called to tell him that the 16-year-old girl had been killed in Eugene — allegedly by her mother and the woman’s husband."

There is also this article listed:

/cms/sites/web/updates/24249083-46/custody-hearing-state-girl-case.csp

The biological fathers statement in the article you posted was heartbreaking MissIzzy. Thank you for the link.

It is heartbreaking, Sunnie, and I'm sure he's grieving terribly. I did some checking and it looks like he is doing much better, enough to be involved in a church and to golf. That's great that he's improved his life. I just wish bio Dads would push a little harder to maintain a connection to their children. Now, Anthony will never get to spend time with his daughter. He might have been able to make a difference. He might have recognized that something wasn't right. JMO My heart still goes out to the man.

BTW, I couldn't get your link to work, Sunnie.

I wonder if the girl being 15 had anything to do with the state not investigating the tip since it's only a few years until she'd be grown. Maybe they figure a kid that age can tell someone or run away. They should take into account when a kid becomes more isolated from school and family. Psychological abuse could keep a kid or any person from running or telling what is happening.

It's interesting that you bring up that point, txsvicki, as there's some truth in it IMO. About 15 years ago, not long after we moved to Oregon, we were told that the state only had resources to check into allegations that were extremely serious for children over the age of 14-15 (life-threatening, criminal actions, etc.)

I couldn't believe that the state could overlook neglect or emotional and/or physical abuse of teens but they did. I think that the absolutely overwhelming meth culture took center stage and the state had to do triage with the youngest victims. I don't believe that Oregon stands alone in this horrible infraction, however. I'm afraid that it's becoming the norm in many states, due to sharp budget cuts.

I have no doubt that the grandmother called the hotline. However, I would have encouraged her to use stronger language, leave her name, give details, and to keep calling. I read an interesting comment in the Oregonian about this case the other day reminding us that many states have penalties for making false reports. Oregon does not. Therefore, a lot of energy and funds are used on chasing down "marginal" reports or custodial complaints when the workers' time might be better used on truly dangerous situations. It appears that other states have penalties for making frivolous complaints which limits the numbers of calls coming in. I'm sure that this will be discussed at length in the emergency committee called by the state to investigate Jeanette's death.

For tonight, though, we need to remember Jeanette, and know that her family and friends are grieving her loss. RIP little angel. The pain is over.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/myoregon/2009/12/use_resources_wisely_to_reduce.html

"Use Resources Wisely to Reduce Child Abuse"

"........Oregon is one of six states that have no penalty for intentionally making a false report of abuse. DHS has an enormous job investigating reports where abuse is genuinely suspected without the added burden of responding to false allegations of abuse."

FWIW, I agree with this policy in theory. I think it is inexcusable to knowingly falsely report child abuse. However, I'm always leery of limiting any call to DHS. Someone might hesitate as they are "not sure" and a child might be hurt or even die. There's two distinct arguments on this issue. I'm on the fence.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/myoregon/2009/12/use_resources_wisely_to_reduce.html

"Use Resources Wisely to Reduce Child Abuse"

"........Oregon is one of six states that have no penalty for intentionally making a false report of abuse. DHS has an enormous job investigating reports where abuse is genuinely suspected without the added burden of responding to false allegations of abuse."

FWIW, I agree with this policy in theory. I think it is inexcusable to knowingly falsely report child abuse. However, I'm always leery of limiting any call to DHS. Someone might hesitate as they are "not sure" and a child might be hurt or even die. There's two distinct arguments on this issue. I'm on the fence.

I'm the opposite, as I don't trust our child welfare system to actually do what's in a child's best interests.
I'm not sure I'd call DHS for any reason, I'd call LE and they can call DHS if it's warranted. Personally I feel parents should be arrested for physical abuse, not provided 'services'.

This story is heartbreaking enough, but it kills me when the neighbor says that Jeanette was quiet and she would see her on the side of her house holding her dog. That dog probably was the only friend she had once she was removed from school. Small consolation, but I'm glad she had that dog.

I really wish someone had been able to intervene before it was too late. I hope the b*tch that gave birth to her and the step-father get the death penalty (or sometimes I think life without parole is better...no appeals and hopefully they're tortured/harassed by the other inmates every day of their sorry lives).

Chicana--You can certainly try that if you have a complaint but in Oregon, one must follow channels. I think it's pretty much the same in most states. You can call LE about an abuse or neglect complaint but they will refer you or the complaint on to DHS as they believe the social workers have more experience in interviewing than they do. Of course, if it's an emergency like someone beating their child or a baby toddling around unsupervised, intervene in some way if safe, and call 911.

Many many people are distrustful of DHS but often they are the only ones who will deal with a situation. FWIW, we have a lovely foster child who is with us solely due to emotional abuse. It hasn't been a walk in the park working with the system (as we're used to adoption) but we feel as if we've made a huge difference for this special child. DHS took her case VERY seriously. We're seeing that, sometimes, the system works perfectly. I can't site any details, but it could have been our child who ended up dead. It gives me the shivers.

I do respect your opinion, though, and fully understand the issue of distrust. Child safety is such an explosive and divisive topic, I don't know if there's anyway to please everyone all the time. The workers have so much paperwork to do these days (just like LE) that I sometimes think that precious time is taken from actually meeting with the kids. It's a fine line. I wouldn't want to be a social worker.

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...4-57/jeanette-maples-service-family-marie.csp

‘Happiness in her own world’
"
A teen who authorities say died of abuse found peace in dreams"

"About 100 people attended the service at Major Family Funeral Home to remember Jeanette, who died last week, a victim of murder by abuse, according to authorities. Absent from the service were the girl’s mother and stepfather, who at the same hour were being arraigned in Lane County Circuit Court on charges of neglecting and torturing the teen."

This couple has been assigned to attorneys experienced in death penalty cases.

Steadfast--I agree about Jeanette's age, it's confusing. The step-family says, though, that the date is wrong and she's actually 15. They've made that clear several times to the press. Maybe the mother admitted to the step-family at some point that the birth certificate was incorrect. IDK

Chicana--You can certainly try that if you have a complaint but in Oregon, one must follow channels. I think it's pretty much the same in most states. You can call LE about an abuse or neglect complaint but they will refer you or the complaint on to DHS as they believe the social workers have more experience in interviewing than they do. Of course, if it's an emergency like someone beating their child or a baby toddling around unsupervised, intervene in some way if safe, and call 911.

Many many people are distrustful of DHS but often they are the only ones who will deal with a situation. FWIW, we have a lovely foster child who is with us solely due to emotional abuse. It hasn't been a walk in the park working with the system (as we're used to adoption) but we feel as if we've made a huge difference for this special child. DHS took her case VERY seriously. We're seeing that, sometimes, the system works perfectly. I can't site any details, but it could have been our child who ended up dead. It gives me the shivers.

I do respect your opinion, though, and fully understand the issue of distrust. Child safety is such an explosive and divisive topic, I don't know if there's anyway to please everyone all the time. The workers have so much paperwork to do these days (just like LE) that I sometimes think that precious time is taken from actually meeting with the kids. It's a fine line. I wouldn't want to be a social worker.

I wouldn't call anyone if it wasn't an emergency. You said that you had a foster child who was taken from her parents solely for emotional abuse. Does Oregon not have to follow the federal law that a child can't be removed unless they are at immediate risk of serious physical harm or death ?

I can't go into many details, Chicana, due to confidentiality. This is a foster child, not one of my adopted children. I, too, was surprised that this charge got the child removed. However, there are many mitigating circumstances and there were multiple referrals. The judge just chose to focus on the emotional abuse component and the parent was found guilty of the charge.

And remember, our family specializes in children with developmental disabilities. That should tell you why this removal was definitely warranted.

Please please rethink your position on not calling unless it is an emergency. By the time it's an emergency, oftentimes, it's far too late to help.

Here's the law for the state of Oregon:

http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemw...e/index.cfm?event=stateStatutes.processSearch

Emotional Abuse
Citation: Rev. Stat. § 419B.005

"Abuse means any mental injury to a child that shall include only observable and substantial impairment of the child's mental or psychological ability to function caused by cruelty to the child, with due regard to the culture of the child."

and the Children's Bureau general description:

http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/laws_policies/statutes/define.cfm
Emotional Abuse

"All States and territories except Georgia and Washington include emotional maltreatment as part of their definitions of abuse or neglect. Approximately 22 States, the District of Columbia, the Northern Mariana Islands, and Puerto Rico provide specific definitions of emotional abuse or mental injury to a child.8 Typical language used in these definitions is "injury to the psychological capacity or emotional stability of the child as evidenced by an observable or substantial change in behavior, emotional response, or cognition," or as evidenced by "anxiety, depression, withdrawal, or aggressive behavior."

Note: This was current to 2007. It might be a good idea to check the statutes in your own state. They are all available on this site. Remember, mandated reporters are required by law to follow state statute. So, if a state has specific definitions of abuse which include emotional abuse, that would make it a mandatory reporting issue.

A few more details:

http://argusobserver.com/articles/2009/12/17/news/doc4b2a777c7933e555738655.txt

‘‘The final place I would use my wings to go to is to go really high and even higher to heaven,’’ Dianne Rush read from one of Jeanette’s writings. ‘‘I would visit the angels and I would visit my grandma Nancy and everyone else in the family ... and after I would go to Hawaii and France and Portugal and the beautiful heaven. I would use my wings to fly home.’’

There's also discussion of the attorneys representing the McAnultys and their experience with death penalty cases. Still no autopsy results, though.

What a brave, resilient little girl. She has her wings now. God how sad.

I can't go into many details, Chicana, due to confidentiality. This is a foster child, not one of my adopted children. I, too, was surprised that this charge got the child removed. However, there are many mitigating circumstances and there were multiple referrals. The judge just chose to focus on the emotional abuse component and the parent was found guilty of the charge.

And remember, our family specializes in children with developmental disabilities. That should tell you why this removal was definitely warranted.

Please please rethink your position on not calling unless it is an emergency. By the time it's an emergency, oftentimes, it's far too late to help.

Here's the law for the state of Oregon:

http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemw...e/index.cfm?event=stateStatutes.processSearch

Emotional Abuse
Citation: Rev. Stat. § 419B.005

"Abuse means any mental injury to a child that shall include only observable and substantial impairment of the child's mental or psychological ability to function caused by cruelty to the child, with due regard to the culture of the child."

and the Children's Bureau general description:

http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/laws_policies/statutes/define.cfm
Emotional Abuse

"All States and territories except Georgia and Washington include emotional maltreatment as part of their definitions of abuse or neglect. Approximately 22 States, the District of Columbia, the Northern Mariana Islands, and Puerto Rico provide specific definitions of emotional abuse or mental injury to a child.8 Typical language used in these definitions is "injury to the psychological capacity or emotional stability of the child as evidenced by an observable or substantial change in behavior, emotional response, or cognition," or as evidenced by "anxiety, depression, withdrawal, or aggressive behavior."

Note: This was current to 2007. It might be a good idea to check the statutes in your own state. They are all available on this site. Remember, mandated reporters are required by law to follow state statute. So, if a state has specific definitions of abuse which include emotional abuse, that would make it a mandatory reporting issue.

I'm aware that it's included in the definitions of child abuse. However, to take a child from their home they have to be at risk of physical abuse. That's why the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the FLDS.
Sorry, but it's a fact that children in foster care are at more risk of abuse than with their bio families. They are also less likely to end up in jail.
I would never call DHS because I was suspicious. I'd have to know and then I'd call LE and let them decide whether to bring dhs into it.
What reasonable efforts were made to keep your foster child in her home ?

DHS has to pass the Reasonable Efforts test at each hearing and at the Citizen's Review Board. I can't state what those efforts have been in our case (although they have been huge) but the judge has ruled time and again that the rule is being met.

I'm not trying to argue but I really don't think LE (IME) will get involved unless it is an emergent situation. They almost always refer you to a DHS (CPS, or whatever acronym of the week the system chooses) social worker as the report must be taken by a trained intake worker and then staffed to come to a decision on whether the report is founded or unfounded. A parent also has the right to appeal if the report is marked founded and they disagree.

To bring the discussion back to Lane County and Jeanette, I don't believe that LE would have given much credence to a report from an anonymous caller concerning a split lip on a 15-16 year old. It's sad but true. JMO. I do agree with the person who wrote the guest editorial for the Oregonian, though, that there needs to be legislation introduced to attach penalties for frivolous and false reports. That would free up the workers for truly important calls.

I have to say that I'm very very sorry that you feel such distrust of this agency. I've worked "within" this system--adopting, fostering, advocating for children--for over 20 years. It is not perfect. There are some flaky workers but there are some gems who will go to the matt for a child. I've been impressed with the many judges I've come before and have used the appeals process more than once and had it work also.

I realize that there's far more work to do. But society is becoming more and more dangerous everyday for our most vulnerable citizens; children, the disabled, and our elders. Systems and programs are constantly running to catch up.

I will be the first in line to raise my voice in dissent if it becomes clear that Lane County failed this child. Trust me, I will. I just think we need to wait and hear all the facts. In the meantime, DHS is all we have so we need to be prepared to use their services judiciously.

DHS has to pass the Reasonable Efforts test at each hearing and at the Citizen's Review Board. I can't state what those efforts have been in our case (although they have been huge) but the judge has ruled time and again that the rule is being met.

I'm not trying to argue but I really don't think LE (IME) will get involved unless it is an emergent situation. They almost always refer you to a DHS (CPS, or whatever acronym of the week the system chooses) social worker as the report must be taken by a trained intake worker and then staffed to come to a decision on whether the report is founded or unfounded. A parent also has the right to appeal if the report is marked founded and they disagree.

To bring the discussion back to Lane County and Jeanette, I don't believe that LE would have given much credence to a report from an anonymous caller concerning a split lip on a 15-16 year old. It's sad but true. JMO. I do agree with the person who wrote the guest editorial for the Oregonian, though, that there needs to be legislation introduced to attach penalties for frivolous and false reports. That would free up the workers for truly important calls.

I have to say that I'm very very sorry that you feel such distrust of this agency. I've worked "within" this system--adopting, fostering, advocating for children--for over 20 years. It is not perfect. There are some flaky workers but there are some gems who will go to the matt for a child. I've been impressed with the many judges I've come before and have used the appeals process more than once and had it work also.

I realize that there's far more work to do. But society is becoming more and more dangerous everyday for our most vulnerable citizens; children, the disabled, and our elders. Systems and programs are constantly running to catch up.

I will be the first in line to raise my voice in dissent if it becomes clear that Lane County failed this child. Trust me, I will. I just think we need to wait and hear all the facts. In the meantime, DHS is all we have so we need to be prepared to use their services judiciously.

I don't see evidence that they're at fault in this case, without the teen confirming the report, their hands would have been tied. If she denied it and there was no other evidence besides an anonymous report, I actually agree with their actions/inaction's, because it means they followed the law. Most teens I know are way to headstrong for something like this to go so far. The only thing I can think is that they were holding something over her head, maybe threatening a younger sibling.
As sad as it is, there are some kids that can't be saved.
Your experience with DHS comes from within the system. IMO, it looks way different when you're on the outside. When I had issues with my teen & DHS, I learned that social workers can and do lie in their reports. That even when it's proven that they're guilty of wrong-doings, there is no oversight or consequences for their actions. The corrupt workers know which judges will rubber stamp everything DHS puts in front of them, including false documentation on 'reasonable efforts'. A few years ago I would have agreed with everything you've said, but I've researched this subject thoroughly from the 'other side' and my opinion that DHS is the most destructive agency in government will never change.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back