OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 children, so I've been to many of those little science fairs. (and helped
make the displays) =) His is very good!

I remember people wandering around freely from room to room in the school, and there was never anyone monitoring the front door.. In fact at any kind of event I have gone to at the kids schools (even Elementary) strangers could be milling around and someone may think it's someone's parent..

That's my fear :(

I would imagine at fairs like this, you'd have grandparents, other extended family, even friends coming in to see the kids' work. Going in and out of classrooms. There's no way the school could monitor everyone milling about like that.

So sad. I will be watching out for him down here in Southern Oregon, praying that he is found alive.

That's my fear :(

I would imagine at fairs like this, you'd have grandparents, other extended family, even friends coming in to see the kids' work. Going in and out of classrooms. There's no way the school could monitor everyone milling about like that.

At all of the schools in our district you MUST sign in at the front desk and wear a Visitor's Tag. NO matter WHAT!

At all of the schools in our district you MUST sign in at the front desk and wear a Visitor's Tag. NO matter WHAT!

Exactly, something tells me there was a lax in security somehow.

Is this school in your district? But that wouldn't stop someone intent on taking a child, IMO.

Is this school in your district? But that wouldn't stop someone intent on taking a child, IMO.

No, I'm not in that district as I live closer to Eugene than Portland. However, it would be a deterrent to a pedophile thinking it was easy to snag a child right out of the school. IDK what their security measures are or if they have any.

No, I'm not in that district as I live closer to Eugene than Portland. However, it would be a deterrent to a pedophile thinking it was easy to snag a child right out of the school. IDK what their security measures are or if they have any.

IMO, another adult attending this fair took this child.

Does this school have a yearbook? Or school paper? Was anyone taking photos of the fair for a school publication or for their website? Have they asked all parents who attended to turn over any photos they took at the event?

better picture of his science project.. looks like they set them up in the classroom..

The sun is just rising here, I'm praying he is found safe and warm!

science30862_1489639882012_12644146.jpg
[/IMG]

(same picture that is on news chan 8 except they cropped it)

Nice science project. He reminds me of my son at that age. Glasses, smart, etc.

This child is creative, curious, attentive to detail, proud of what he does - and only 7yo. Some crafty adult asking him a question about frogs and giving attention to all the work he did is all it would take to get him involved. Wonder if anyone saw this child talking to an unfamiliar adult.

Are the projects still on display? And if not, who took them down - and who set them all up for the children? moo

Makes no sense that Skyline would be so safety-conscious at the front desk and so lax about reporting a child not showing up to class.

Besides, on a day like science fair day, there would be so many visitors that someone could easily slip in without signing in.

This child is creative, curious, attentive to detail, proud of what he does - and only 7yo. Some crafty adult asking him a question about frogs and giving attention to all the work he did is all it would take to get him involved. Wonder if anyone saw this child talking to an unfamiliar adult.

Are the projects still on display? And if not, who took them down - and who set them all up for the children? moo

Yes, and such an adult could even say, "I saw a frog just like that down by the creek. Wanna go see?"

So many possibilities.

Obviously the school's security was lax to let a child leave campus, with or without an adult.

Hoping and praying for the safe return of sweet Kyron.
This situation just feels like a kick to the GUT. I am shocked that the school was so open to the public for the science fair. At the school where I teach, EVERYONE must go through the office, sign in, and collect a "visitor" sticker. Also, a parent or guardian cannot just "drop off" their student way before the start of school.....even if a school event is happening (like science fair, book fair, etc.). Children are allowed to be dropped off or left at the school no earlier than 15 minutes before the start of the official school day. Those that are waiting to be let in their classrooms sit in assigned spots in the hallway (organized by class) and we have T.A.'s monitoring them (elementary school procedure). If a child is absent during roll call, we have an amazing secretary here that calls EVERY SINGLE PARENT and emergency contact listed until she gets a person on the line to vouch for the child's absense and whereabouts. You can't be too cautious!!!
Clearly, there was some sort of procedural breakdown (FLAW!) that provided an opportunity for abduction. I have no clue what the situation might be, but I am just so saddened by all of this. Just keep praying, praying......

Who would be so bold as to take a child in the middle of a school?

NW Portland second-grader still missing Saturday

Emergency crews were still searching Saturday morning around Skyline Elementary School after a student didn't return home Friday afternoon.

The Oregon National Guard had planned to launch a helicopter Saturday morning to help look for the child.

[snip]

Staff of the FBI, the Oregon State Police, the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office, Portland Gresham and Fairview police were searching area of the school, which is on NW Skyline Blvd. just east of NW Cornelius Pass Road. Canine units and search and rescue organizations have also been called out, she said.

Lindstrand said about 20 miles of roadway and two square miles of land were part of the search area.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Second-grade-student-missing-from-Skyline-Elementary-95670454.html

Rivers are overflowing, BTW. They are deeper and faster than they should be. Are there any waterways around Skyline?

Showing pic of Kyron. Last seen 8:45AM am. Step-mom called school at 3:45PM. Authorities can't confirm he was at school. Lt. Lunds??? is being interviewed and says this is devastating for the family. He is extremely shy and afraid of the police.

End of story.

So was the photo of him standing by his project taken that morning or another day? I don't see this boy just leaving with a stranger. He's too smart imo. And what are the odds that a pedophile would be able to take him out of the school, would even be there, would know he wasn't accompanied by a parent? And other than his mother who would want to take him?

Why would he be afraid of the police??

Kyron's stepmom just posted on FB telling her friends not to listen to the news, that it's inaccurate. She says that she will provide details as soon as she can.

Kyron's stepmom just posted on FB telling her friends not to listen to the news, that it's inaccurate. She says that she will provide details as soon as she can.

Here it says he wasn't seen after being dropped off ~

A Portland Public Schools spokesman said Kyron Horman, 7, was dropped off for a science fair at the school by his step-mother at 8:45 a.m., wasn't seen after that, and he never returned home Friday afternoon.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Second-grade-student-missing-from-Skyline-Elementary-95670454.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidtruong24