GUILTY OR - Mark Dribin, 42, Portland, 02 July 1999 *Christopher Charles Lovrien sentenced*

Tuesday, May 5th:
*Arraignment Hearing (@ 2:45pm PT) - OR – Mark Jeffrey Dribin (42) (last seen July 3, 1999, Portland, reported missing July 6, 1999; has not been found) - *Christopher Charles Lovrien (32 @ time of crime/52) indicted (4/30/20), arrested (5/4/20 by U.S. Marshalls) & charged (5/4/20) with 2nd degree murder. Forensic Genetic Genealogy match
Mark's father was notified by phone by Mark's employer-United Airlines on July 5th that Mark didn't show up for work. Dribin's SUV was also missing from the garage. It was found two weeks later near Southeast 43rd Avenue and Division Street, an area investigators said Dribin didn't frequent. Portland PD determined that Mark died from homicidal violence and his vehicle was stolen from his residence. The vehicle was recovered several days later although Mark's body has not been located. His neighbors last saw him on 7/2/99 at 2:00pm according to the Doe Network, but according to this article, he was last seen on 7/3/99 at the Eagle Tavern on S.W. 13th Ave. & Burnside St. Also in his apartment, there was a massive cleanup of blood spatter all over the walls.

5/5/20 Update: Arraignment hearing. Motion - Recognizance Release.

Boy - that is a quick date for trial!!

05/05/2020 Arraignment
Judicial Officer: Baggio, Amy M.
Hearing Time: 2:30 PM
Result: Held

05/05/2020 Motion - Recognizance Release

05/05/2020 Warrant - Return of Service

05/05/2020 Order
Judicial Officer: Bushong, Stephen K.
Comment: specially assigning judge

05/05/2020 Arraignment

05/05/2020 Order - Appointing Counsel
Comment: Attorney: D Smith

05/22/2020 Hearing - Case Management
Judicial Officer(s): Ramras, Christopher, Ramras, Christopher
Hearing Time: 11:00 AM
Comment: Defendant not to be transported.

06/15/2020 Trial - Twelve Person Jury
Hearing Time: 09:00 AM

link: OREGON JUDICIAL DEPARTMENT - Online Records Search

Boy - that is a quick date for trial!!

05/05/2020 Arraignment
Hearing Time: 2:30 PM
Result: Held

05/05/2020 Motion - Recognizance Release

05/05/2020 Warrant - Return of Service

05/05/2020 Order
Judicial Officer: Bushong, Stephen K.
Comment: specially assigning judge

05/05/2020 Arraignment

05/05/2020 Order - Appointing Counsel
Comment: Attorney: D Smith

05/22/2020 Hearing - Case Management
Hearing Time: 11:00 AM
Comment: Defendant not to be transported.

06/15/2020 Trial - Twelve Person Jury
Hearing Time: 09:00 AM

link: OREGON JUDICIAL DEPARTMENT - Online Records Search
:eek: I have a very strong feeling that trial date will be pushed out.

No doubt - I was surprised to see the trial date on the court site already!!
Seriously! How does one mount a proper defense to murder in under six weeks?!? It needs to be done correctly the first time around so that appeals are short and moot and this guy stays in prison for the rest of his natural life.

Seriously! How does one mount a proper defense to murder in under six weeks?!? It needs to be done correctly the first time around so that appeals are short and moot and this guy stays in prison for the rest of his natural life.

I think the date is set to provide the defendant with an opportunity for a speedy trial to make sure he has his rights attended to by the system. Then, the dates get pushed out based on arraignment and the processes needed to mount an effective defense, which would be handled by this man's lawyer.

I just read about this case for the first time because it was posted on Nextdoor that there is police activity at the home of the person in custody, possibly they are digging up the backyard. I hope they find Mark and his family gets some closure.

I just read about this case for the first time because it was posted on Nextdoor that there is police activity at the home of the person in custody, possibly they are digging up the backyard. I hope they find Mark and his family gets some closure.
Welcome to Ws aceydoosey, thanks for the hopeful tidbit!

I don’t believe that Mark has been found yet, but there has been an arrest in the case!
“PPB Cold Case Homicide Detectives Identify Suspect in 20 year-old Homicide with Forensic Geneology-Arrest Made (Photo) - 05/04/20

On July 6, 1999, Mark J. Dribin, a 42 year-old Portland resident, was reported missing. After a search of his residence revealed suspicious circumstances, Dribin, as well as his vehicle, remained missing. Dribin's residence and recovered vehicle were forensically processed and analyzed, by the Bureau's Forensic Evidence Division and the Oregon State Police Crime Lab.

The missing person case was reclassified to a homicide and the subsequent investigation garnished DNA evidence, but it was and remained unidentified in the national DNA database (CODIS). After a lengthy investigation, the case went cold. For more details about this case, visit this link: MARK DRIBIN | Unsolved Cold Cases | The City of Portland, Oregon

In March of 2019, the case was reopened by the Portland Police Bureau's Cold Case Unit and the DNA evidence was submitted for Forensic Genetic Genealogy analysis. Further investigative leads were developed and the Oregon State Police Forensic Services Division continued DNA analysis.

On May 4th, 2020, 52 year-old Christopher Lovrien was arrested by the US Marshall's Office and charged with the Murder of Mark Dribin. Due to the ongoing investigative process, no further details will be provided at this time.

Mark Dribin's family has been notified of the arrest and respectfully ask for privacy at this time. They are not interested in speaking with media.

Cold Case Detectives are asking anyone who might have information regarding the homicide of Mark Dribin to contact Detective Brendan McGuire at 503-823-0869 or email brendan.mcguire@portlandoregon.gov” (BBM)
View attachment 245672View attachment 245673
More at the link:
PPB Cold Case Homicide Detectives Identify Suspect in 20 year-old Homicide with Forensic Geneology-Arrest Made (Photo)

Mark’s NamUs profile:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Hi guys, I've been gone from Websleuths for 3 years, so apparently I'm a little rusty in using it. I was just notified by a stranger on Facebook of the arrest about an hour ago!!! Police didn't notify me, but the article said they contacted his family. So probably his brother. Not sure if his father is still alive, his mother has passed away. I'm so pleasantly surprised. I had given up all hope. I have many more ties to Portland now, so I will be following... LinasK 2nd cousin to Mark.

Did not expect this update, so glad that someone has been arrested , hoping they will be able to locate Mark.
Condolences to LinasK, so sorry for this sad outcome.
Thank you. We long suspected Mark was dead, they had found blood, but never expected to find a suspect. I'm pleasantly shocked tonight. Mark's mother didn't live to see the day, but his father and brother are still around.

She hasn't been here since June of 2017....

I thought she would pop in here with this "new" news!
I only found out tonight. You guys were on top of it. And the weird thing is that I have more Portland and Oregon connections now, my daughter goes to school there, and I have more friends and family in Oregon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineSteph
Back