UNSOLVED OR - Near Portland, near Roaring River Rest Stop, WhtFem, RICHARD LAURENCE MARQUETTE VICTIM, 1974

Jane Doe
While confessing to the murder of Betty Wilson, Marquette also confessed to another murder in the same style in 1974. He picked up a woman at a bar, convinced her to come to his home, and proceeded to choke her to death, mutilate, and dismember her corpse. Marquette led detectives to two shallow graves where he had disposed of the bulk of the remains, but the head was never located and as the remains were mostly skeletal, there was no way the woman could be identified. Marquette said that he didn't know her name and since he never heard anything more about it, he figured that nobody missed her. Her identity remains unknown.

This Jane Doe doesn't appear to be on NamUs. I searched for UIDs found in Oregon from 1974-1976 (apparently Marquette led detectives to the remains in 1975, but I extended the timeline to make sure) with sex listed as female or unsure. There's only one result, and it's not her (UP7765, her thread is here: OR - OR - Sweet Home, 'Swamp Mountain Doe' WhtFem 762UFOR, 18-40, Jul'76).

The source stating that her identity is still unknown is an Ann Rule book from 1993. I wonder if she was quietly identified since then, or simply isn't listed in NamUs for some reason?

Here's the section about her from the Ann Rule book, A Rose For Her Grave: And Other True Cases.

... but there was more. Marquette said he had killed still another woman in mid-1974 shortly after his release from prison. He didn't know her name or anything about her. He figured nobody had even missed her because he'd never heard anything more about her. Was this the woman whose panty crotch was found hidden in Marquette's trailer register? He would not say.

As he talked, Jim Byrnes recognized that the M.O. in 1974 was chillingly similar to that of Marquette's other two known murders. He had picked up his anonymous victim in Dubious Dudley's bar in Salem, brought her home for sex, and according to Marquette, she too had backed down at the last moment. And she too had been strangled, dismembered, and disposed of.

Marquette agreed to lead detectives to the spot where he had left the 1974 victim. On June 13 Jim Byrnes and Kilburn McCoy, along with members of the Marion County D.A.'s staff and the suspect's lawyers, traveled to the lonely, rugged area near the Roaring River Rest Stop alongside the Clackamas River. There the admitted three-time mutilation killer pointed out two graves a half mile apart. Approximately three feet below the ground they found the skeletal parts of the unfortunate lady from Dubious Dudley's. There was no clothing, no jewelry, to help in identification. Worst of all, there was no head at all. Dental records would have been the only positive means to find out who she was; fingertips and other soft tissue had long since decomposed.

She remains today simply Jane Doe, a tragic victim of a predatory killer.

Wow, I read about Marquette and learned about Jane Doe a while back, and couldn't find an existing thread on her, either! Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to start a new one at that moment and eventually forgot about the whole thing, so I'm very pleased to see you started one instead, Fede.

Anyway, this source from 2019 states that Jane Doe is still unidentified (bbm):
After his arrest for Wilson's murder, he confessed to also killing and dismembering another woman since being paroled. He led police to some of her remains, but she has never been identified.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gentlegirl
Back