OR - Nine killed in Umpqua Community College shooting, Roseburg, 1 Oct 2015 - #2

Sasquatch, Thank you for your very well researched post. Your own traumatic personal experience adds weight also. I'm so sorry you went through that, but I'm glad it wasn't the disaster we are seeing so often now. It is indeed a complex problem that cannot be reduced to sound bites, either by gun control advocates or mental health advocates. Both certainly are issues that need to be on the table, but as you outlined, identifying and stopping a mass murderer is not a simple fix. And I don't really see a solution happening any time soon.
JMO

You are welcome! Thank you Lilibet for your kind words! The one thing that prevented the KOIN Center shooter from doing more harm, was the fact that he had shot off so many rounds from his AK-47, that the smoke triggered the fire sensors. Once triggered, the elevators immediately went to the ground floor, as they would in case of a real fire. His intention was to shoot the people in the law office then take hostages on the 3rd floor movie theater. It was also a good thing, that a lot of people were able to exit from the side doors at the Charles Schwab office. I think that an important thing for all of us to remember, is continued awareness. Awareness of our environment, of people and of anything that might seem out of place. Always know where the exit doors are when you go out somewhere. One great site that discusses common sense violence prevention, is Marc Macyoung's No Nonsense Self Defense. There is a lot of discussion about awareness and violence prevention.
http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

Continued prayers for the victims, their families and all who are affected by this tragedy!

Sleep Peacefully….

• Lucero Alcaraz, 19, of Roseburg

• Quinn Glen Cooper, 18, of Roseburg

• Kim Saltmarsh Dietz, 59, of Roseburg

• Lucas Eibel, 18, of Roseburg

• Jason Dale Johnson, 33, of Winston

• Lawrence Levine, 67, of Glide. Levine was the teacher inside of the classroom.

• Sarena Dawn Moore, 44, of Myrtle Creek

• Treven Taylor Anspach, 20, of Sutherlin

• Rebecka Ann Carnes, 18, of Myrtle Creek

I don't know for sure but I think without some real proof they couldn't do anything to her. If he'd told her his plan and there was a record of it or if a professional warned her maybe they could, but I doubt either one happened. I think it would have to be the equivalent of leaving guns out around a child, wouldn't it?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You know what is really disgusting about all this - is all the chatting about it online before it occurred- you would think someone would have clicked on report - THAT, imo, is a sad reflection of where we are as a society

Years ago my parents had a neighbor that was a doc. When his kids were born, he got diapers for them.Don't know about anything else.

Meds are used in Europe as well. They seem more restrictive as to what they allow but I have no idea exept that I know of 5 mentally ill people that are taking meds, Four of them are messed up from using illegal drugs so that may be different in terms of treatment?

It is not as if other places in the world do not have these mental health issues.

What works?

good point my dear! I think America is just a stressful "place". Employers could care eless about their folks, and being in an envoronment to where you are nothing for long peroids of time is stressful in and of itself.

And there is this deslusion that America is number one - when the reality is , as a country we are falling down the tube - resulting in more stressors

Here are the relaities !

[h=2]The U.S. ranks 1st in prisoners[/h][h=2]The U.S. ranks 14th in education[/h][h=2]The U.S. ranks 19th in national satisfaction[/h]
[h=2]The U.S. ranks 44th in health care efficiency[/h]
[h=2]The U.S. ranks 2nd in ignorance[/h]
[h=2]The U.S. ranks 101st in peace[/h]
[h=2]The U.S. ranks first in incarceration[/h]
[h=2]The U.S. ranks 2nd for approval of drone strikes[/h]
[h=2]The U.S. ranks 33rd in internet download speeds[/h]
[h=2]46th in freedom of the press[/h]
[h=2]26th in child well-being[/h]
[h=2]24th in literacy[/h]
[h=2]27th in leisure and personal care[/h]
[h=2]17th in happiness[/h]
[h=2]24th in freedom from corruption[/h]
[h=2]9th in retirement security[/h]
So , IMO, it is a place of very stressed out, folks - no longer like the 50's!

https://rankingamerica.wordpress.com/2014/12/15/the-u-s-ranks-44th-in-health-care-efficiency/

Like the last 18 months have indicated a whole bunch of ticking time bombs on the loose

Sasquatch great post thanx I learned much!!

nuance:

............Umpqua Community College already had instituted an emergency plan after a shooting at a nearby high school left 24 wounded in 1998, and refined those plans after a shooting at the local high school in 2006, and then considered adding an armed security guard to the college payroll last year because of a spate of mass shootings. ............

......they entered their writing class on Thursday morning with their lives in full transition, ....... In came Cheyeanne Fitzgerald, 16, who had recently studied to pass her GED. “Now on to college!!!”
............in came Anastasia Boylan, a teenager with a cross newly tattooed on her neck, and Jason Johnson, 33, who had completed a six-month drug rehab in Portland and then become the first in his family to enroll in college........

..................the students sat down at their desks in Room 15, where a 67-year-old professor who liked to share daily quotations began each new semester of his long career with the same message on his board: “Your future begins here.”

......class began at 10 a.m. They talked about the importance of a strong topic sentence. Then, 38 minutes later, came dozens of gunshots...............

............ students in the building heard the first pops, they had little doubt about what they were hearing. “We’ve been doing all these drills and talking about big shootings every year of our lives,” said Sarah Cobb, 17, who was in the classroom next door to Writing 115. “It was kind of like: ‘Oh, wow, it’s happening. We trained for that.’ ”

.......what she hadn’t trained for were the sounds..........

Boylan, 18, took a phone call from her best friend, ........It’s bad. It’s bad. I already got shot,” Boylan told her, and then she hung up the phone and tried to play dead...................

For some of the survivors, the school would once more become a place of restarts and second chances....

....... now the first week of classes ended with a new message posted near the entrance...

“Active crime scene,” it read......................

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...e3b0ce-6954-11e5-9ef3-fde182507eac_story.html

god.......................I just thought probably a spam thing ........................ sad isnt it that, that, thought even occurred ........

Far more repulsive when it is visual huh?

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-oregon-shooting-20151002-story.html
[h=1]Since Sandy Hook, a gun has been fired on school rounds once a week.[/h]

400x225

Any of you remember this:
I do not.

At the University of Alabama in Huntsville(UAH) in Huntsville, Alabama, three people were killed and three others wounded in a shooting on February 12, 2010. During the course of a routine meeting of the biology department attended by approximately 12 people, professor Amy Bishop stood up and began shooting those closest to her with a 9-millimeter handgun.

A biology professor at the university, Bishop was the sole suspect and was charged with one count of capital murder and three counts of attempted murder.

Can anyone help me with the numbers???????????????

in 1986 when she shot and killed her brother

questioned in a 1993 pipe-bomb incident directed toward her lab supervisor.

sat quietly at the meeting for 30 or 40 minutes,

wasn't random shooting around the room; this was execution style."[SUP][7][/SUP]

Shortly after her arrest, Bishop was quoted as saying, "It didn't happen. There's no way." When asked about the deaths of her colleagues, Bishop replied, "There's no way. They're still alive."[SUP][

[/SUP]shusbad: she had called him to pick her up after the shooting;

she had "booby trapped the science building with a 'herpes bomb'" intended to spread the virus.[SUP][1

[/SUP]she wrote a novel describing the spread of a virus similar to herpes throughout the world "causing pregnant women to miscarry."

earned her Ph.D. in genetics from Harvard University.[SUP][21]

[/SUP] an instructor of medicine at Harvard Medical School.[SUP][

[/SUP] technology competition and developed a "portable cell incubator", coming in third and winning $25,000.[SUP][26][/SUP] Prodigy Biosystems, where Anderson is employed, raised $1.25 million

hree unpublished novels. One featured a woman scientist working to defeat a potential pandemic virus, and struggling with suicidal thoughts at the threat of not earning tenure.[SUP][28][/SUP] deep preoccupation with the concept of deliverance from sin".[SUP][23][/SUP]

Bishop is the second cousin of the novelist
John Irving.

students say they complained to administrators about Bishop on at least three occasions, had odd, unsettling ways." A petition signed by "dozens of students," which was sent to the department head

2009, Bishop published an article in a vanity-press medical journal listing her husband and three minor children as co-authors.[SUP][32][/SUP] The article was later removed from the journal website.[SUP][33]

[/SUP]Bishop was suspended without pay retroactively on the day of the attack
??????!!!!!

Bishop received a letter of termination from Jack Fix, Dean of the College of Sciences, which did not state a reason for her dismissal

Come on guys help!

huasband felt she:
"exceeded the qualifications for tenure,"

a letter-bomb incident involving a doctor at a facility at which she had previously been employed.

... 2002 she was charged with assault after striking a woman in the head during a dispute at a restaurant, but she was not convicted.
[SUP][12] ( International House of Pancakes ) I am sorry this is turning into a sit-com. punched her in the head, all the while yelling "I am Dr. Amy Bishop!

[/SUP].. fired two shots from a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun[SUP][23][/SUP] (one into her bedroom wall, then one into her brother's chest . The death of her brother was classified as an accident by Braintree police.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shotgun(had) a live round in the chamber. This would have required Bishop to rack the slide of the weapon after shooting her brother to simultaneously eject the spent shell and reload the chamber.

Detailed records of the shooting had disappeared by 1988

she pointed the weapon at a moving vehicle on the adjacent road and tried to get into the vehicle.[SUP][40][/SUP][SUP][41][/SUP]

2010, Braintree officials announced that the files previously declared missing had been located and turned over to Norfolk County prosecutors.[SUP][

[/SUP] had taken the shotgun to a nearby auto dealership shop and brandished it at two employees in an attempt to get a car

nlarged crime scene photos from Bishop's bedroom reveal a news article in which a similar crime was reported

two weeks earlier, the parents of Patrick Duffy, the actor who played Bobby Ewing on the popular television show Dallas, were killed by an assailant wielding a 12-gauge shotgun, who then held up a car dealership, stole a pickup truck, and fled

Bishop was charged with first degree murder in her brother's death, nearly 24 years after his shooting

unpublished novels is a woman who, as a child, attempted to frighten a friend after an argument but accidentally killed the friend's brother. ..... mistook her brother for him

.......Children's Hospital Boston, received a package containing two pipe bombs, which failed to explode.[SUP][18][/SUP][SUP][54] closed without charges filed due to lack of evidence.

Feeling a bit "The Andy Gritffith " show ....

attend anger management classes. It is unclear whether the judge in the case ordered her to do so.[SUP][59 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!husband said she had never attended anger management classes.[SUP][ That explains everything !!!

[/SUP]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_University_of_Alabama_in_Huntsville_shooting

Lov ya all but gotta run to you Tube to see which Lieftime movie I wanna watch.

And i realize , as I waws reading this that this is not funny but a very psycotic individual, but what is fascinating is how on earth did she remain a professor , at Harvard , apparently for quite some time ..............my goodness............

[/SUP]

[/SUP]

I remember this very well, but I can't believe it's been over five years! It's hard to believe she wasn't stopped sooner. But her brilliance may have overshadowed her psychosis, so that it wasn't recognized. There was certainly enabling going on with her family and husband IMO. And even if she had been convicted or institutionalized at some point, I believe she would have inflicted serious damage at some point regardless. She believed herself to have been wronged. People like that are very dangerous. I have no solutions. :(

Any of you remember this:
I do not.

At the University of Alabama in Huntsville(UAH) in Huntsville, Alabama, three people were killed and three others wounded in a shooting on February 12, 2010. During the course of a routine meeting of the biology department attended by approximately 12 people, professor Amy Bishop stood up and began shooting those closest to her with a 9-millimeter handgun.

A biologyprofessor at the university, Bishop was the sole suspect and was charged with one count of capital murder and three counts of attempted murder.

Can anyone help me with the numbers???????????????

in 1986 when she shot and killed her brother

questioned in a 1993 pipe-bomb incident directed toward her lab supervisor.

sat quietly at the meeting for 30 or 40 minutes,

wasn't random shooting around the room; this was execution style."[SUP][7][/SUP]

Shortly after her arrest, Bishop was quoted as saying, "It didn't happen. There's no way." When asked about the deaths of her colleagues, Bishop replied, "There's no way. They're still alive."[SUP][

[/SUP]shusbad: she had called him to pick her up after the shooting;

she had "booby trapped the science building with a 'herpes bomb'" intended to spread the virus.[SUP][1

[/SUP]she wrote a novel describing the spread of a virus similar to herpes throughout the world "causing pregnant women to miscarry."

earned her Ph.D. in genetics from Harvard University.[SUP][21]

[/SUP] an instructor of medicine at Harvard Medical School.[SUP][

[/SUP] technology competition and developed a "portable cell incubator", coming in third and winning $25,000.[SUP][26][/SUP] Prodigy Biosystems, where Anderson is employed, raised $1.25 million

hree unpublished novels. One featured a woman scientist working to defeat a potential pandemic virus, and struggling with suicidal thoughts at the threat of not earning tenure.[SUP][28][/SUP] deep preoccupation with the concept of deliverance from sin".[SUP][23][/SUP]

Bishop is the second cousin of the novelist
John Irving.

students say they complained to administrators about Bishop on at least three occasions, had odd, unsettling ways." A petition signed by "dozens of students," which was sent to the department head

2009, Bishop published an article in a vanity-press medical journal listing her husband and three minor children as co-authors.[SUP][32][/SUP] The article was later removed from the journal website.[SUP][33]

[/SUP]Bishop was suspended without pay retroactively on the day of the attack
??????!!!!!

Bishop received a letter of termination from Jack Fix, Dean of the College of Sciences, which did not state a reason for her dismissal

Come on guys help!

huasband felt she:
"exceeded the qualifications for tenure,"

a letter-bomb incident involving a doctor at a facility at which she had previously been employed.

... 2002 she was charged with assault after striking a woman in the head during a dispute at a restaurant, but she was not convicted.
[SUP][12] ( International House of Pancakes ) I am sorry this is turning into a sit-com. punched her in the head, all the while yelling "I am Dr. Amy Bishop!

[/SUP].. fired two shots from a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun[SUP][23][/SUP] (one into her bedroom wall, then one into her brother's chest . The death of her brother was classified as an accident by Braintree police.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shotgun(had) a live round in the chamber. This would have required Bishop to rack the slide of the weapon after shooting her brother to simultaneously eject the spent shell and reload the chamber.

Detailed records of the shooting had disappeared by 1988

she pointed the weapon at a moving vehicle on the adjacent road and tried to get into the vehicle.[SUP][40][/SUP][SUP][41][/SUP]

2010, Braintree officials announced that the files previously declared missing had been located and turned over to Norfolk County prosecutors.[SUP][

[/SUP] had taken the shotgun to a nearby auto dealership shop and brandished it at two employees in an attempt to get a car

nlarged crime scene photos from Bishop's bedroom reveal a news article in which a similar crime was reported

two weeks earlier, the parents of Patrick Duffy, the actor who played Bobby Ewing on the popular television show Dallas, were killed by an assailant wielding a 12-gauge shotgun, who then held up a car dealership, stole a pickup truck, and fled

Bishop was charged with first degree murder in her brother's death, nearly 24 years after his shooting

unpublished novels is a woman who, as a child, attempted to frighten a friend after an argument but accidentally killed the friend's brother. ..... mistook her brother for him

.......Children's Hospital Boston, received a package containing two pipe bombs, which failed to explode.[SUP][18][/SUP][SUP][54] closed without charges filed due to lack of evidence.

Feeling a bit "The Andy Gritffith " show ....

attend anger management classes. It is unclear whether the judge in the case ordered her to do so.[SUP][59 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!husband said she had never attended anger management classes.[SUP][ That explains everything !!!

[/SUP]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_University_of_Alabama_in_Huntsville_shooting

Lov ya all but gotta run to you Tube to see which Lieftime movie I wanna watch.

And i realize , as I waws reading this that this is not funny but a very psycotic individual, but what is fascinating is how on earth did she remain a professor , at Harvard , apparently for quite some time ..............my goodness............
[/SUP][/SUP]

Unless you are a student or a teacher since Columbine, I do not think people can grasp what the new America is.

At least 6 lockdowns a year required at schools to practice for active shooter.

Teachers to look at rooms to see where children can be placed to be away from walls that could be penetrated by bullets. Children not to be lined up because bullets go through children like butter.

Look at trajectories to see if the area you chose in your tiny space can be reached by bullets through windows.

New schools designed to minimize active shooter access.

The quote from the above posted article. It makes me weep. The America we accept.

............ students in the building heard the first pops, they had little doubt about what they were hearing. “We’ve been doing all these drills and talking about big shootings every year of our lives,” said Sarah Cobb, 17, who was in the classroom next door to Writing 115. “It was kind of like: ‘Oh, wow, it’s happening. We trained for that.’ ”

what i dont get is why did she only get charged with one murder ??

I remember this very well, but I can't believe it's been over five years! It's hard to believe she wasn't stopped sooner. But her brilliance may have overshadowed her psychosis, so that it wasn't recognized. There was certainly enabling going on with her family and husband IMO. And even if she had been convicted or institutionalized at some point, I believe she would have inflicted serious damage at some point regardless. She believed herself to have been wronged. People like that are very dangerous. I have no solutions. :(

what i dont get is why did she only get charged with one murder ??

Googling, I found this...She pled guilty to one count of capital murder involving two or more people. This is a death penalty charge. She got LWOP.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-killing-alabama-colleagues-article-1.1157187

Scroll down to United States. Capital Murder (also called Aggravated murder) can involve...Multiple murders committed pursuant to one another.

So one count of capital murder would cover all three killings. We learn something new every day. :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_murder

This is a very sad story about a son reunited with his mother just months before she was killed at UCC. Sarena Moore was the victim in the wheel chair whose service dog Bullet survived. Tragic.

The scrawny 22-year-old had waited his whole life to live with his mother. They had reunited only six months before. Now all he had left was her stuff, towers of treasures she'd packed away for safe-keeping, movies about horses mixed with the glass art she used to paint.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...cart_most-read_pacific-northwest-news_article

This is a very sad story about a son reunited with his mother just months before she was killed at UCC. Sarena Moore was the victim in the wheel chair whose service dog Bullet survived. Tragic.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...cart_most-read_pacific-northwest-news_article

Thanks for posting that link, Lilibet. I'm glad I read the story (though I could have done without reading most of the comments!).

I feel so badly for these loved ones who lost Sarena. They are struggling already and now to have this happen to them - just heartbreaking.

Thanks for posting that link, Lilibet. I'm glad I read the story (though I could have done without reading most of the comments!).

I feel so badly for these loved ones who lost Sarena. They are struggling already and now to have this happen to them - just heartbreaking.

It is heartbreaking, La Louve. There are many more victims than those who were killed or injured. These two men lost so much. I hope this article brings them help and healing.

'Back on campus and loved it': Oregon shooting hero returns to college just weeks after being shot five times by the gunman

Chris Mintz, 30, was hailed a hero after trying to stop gunman on October 1

He was mercilessly shot five times in the massacre that left nine dead

The father suffered injuries, including two broken legs, in the attack

Just weeks later, he posted a selfie as he marked his return to Umpqua Community College

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rns-college-weeks-shot-five-times-gunman.html

O/T but ...Cant help it i am finding the loose blimp rather amusing........................

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/28/us-usa-military-blimp-idUSKCN0SM2F920151028

Oye vi!

Hysterical

Know what the name of the blimp is .................

Joint Land Attack Cruise Missile Defense Elevated Netted Sensor System sleep tight!

'Cruise-missile fighting' blimp worth about $2.8b opppss where did it go? Its a bird its a plane its...

im sorry it t is just cracking me up --- It hunts for missles,. but crashes after floating about a bit --- I would hate to see what it does in war zone!!!!!!!!!!!! Late night shall have a feast!

high-tech U.S. military blimp designed to detect a missile attack ..................

This is the story of a teenager who plotted the killing of his family and a massacre at his highschool, trying to kill more than Columbine. He made bombs and planned to use them along with guns. He was thwarted because a citizen was observant. His family was blindsided. Thankfully, he will receive help and may come out of this as a productive adult. A tragedy was averted, but cases like these are clearly so complex that they can't always be stopped IMO.

Like Adam Lanza and the UCC shooter, this kid was diagnosed with autism, but was highly functional. I think this paragraph discusses autism and violence quite fairly. It appears that lots more is going on than autism in these cases.

Behind bars, John was diagnosed for the first time with a highly functional form of autism spectrum disorder, with violent ideations. Psychologists found that it didn't manifest until late adolescence, and that he was able to conceal his troubles from family, friends and classmates.
Research has shown that people with autism spectrum disorder are no more likely to be violent than the rest of the population. A 2008 review found that 84% of violent offenders with autism also had an underlying psychiatric disorder at the time they committed the crime.

ETA: Sorry, but I can't get the CNN link to stick here. Look for "The Massacre that didn't happen." Minnesota-foiled-school-massacre-John-ladue

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vahoward
Back