OR - PRESIDENTIAL PARDON - Militia members occupy federal building in Oregon after protest #4

“After the hearing, Ritzheimer said he pleaded guilty because he reviewed the charge and, though he may not agree with it, admits he violated the law as it's written. "Marines believe in integrity," he said.

Ritzheimer made news outside of Oregon last year by organizing an anti-Islam protest at a Phoenix mosque and threatening to arrest a U.S. senator for treason because she supported the Iran nuclear deal.

He also led a protest at Walmart after the company removed Confederate flag merchandise.”​

I've always considered this guy very dangerous. Unless he also agreed to testify against the Bundy's both in Oregon and in Nevada, I simply do understand the thinking of the prosecutor. And, even with that, I think they are making a mistake.

I believe in integrity and I am not a Marine. I also believe he is a dangerous idiot.

I hope the two years will be enough to change his attitude, but I doubt it. So in two years, I have a feeling he will be back to the same activities.

I've always considered this guy very dangerous. Unless he also agreed to testify against the Bundy's both in Oregon and in Nevada, I simply do understand the thinking of the prosecutor. And, even with that, I think they are making a mistake.

Should read: I simply do NOT understand the thinking of the prosecutor. And, even with that, I think they are making a mistake.

Corey Lequieu became the first defendant Tuesday to be sentenced in the federal conspiracy case stemming from the armed takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in January.

U.S. District Judge Anna J. Brown sent Lequieu to prison for 2 ½ years followed by three years of supervised release. Lequieu, in custody in the Multnomah County Jail, also must pay restitution in an amount to be determined later.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/08/corey_lequieu_becomes_first_or.html

I am only part way through this extraordinary new article by Les Zaitz about Sheriff Glenn Palmer:

Sheriff Glenn Palmer makes his own rules in Grant County
By Les Zaitz | The Oregonian/OregonLive
on August 20, 2016 at 7:00 AM, updated August 20, 2016 at 7:03 AM

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-st...glenn_palmer_makes_his.html#incart_river_home

“The sheriff's office in rural Grant County consists of the sheriff, an undersheriff, two deputies and a small cadre of jail staff.

Then there's the army of volunteers.

In the past six years, Sheriff Glenn Palmer has appointed 65 people as special deputies – more than any sheriff in the state. The force includes at least two men who have broken the law.

They have ID cards and special access to government land that's off-limits to most. Some have badges. But none seems to have ever reported a crime. Many appear to have no training.

The size and secrecy of the unusual crew underscores much about the county's top law enforcement officer: He pushes the boundaries of what elected sheriffs typically do.

Over 16 years, Palmer has used his position in ways big and small to further a personal agenda – from allowing his own needs to trump emergencies to directing his patrol staff to ignore violations of laws governing private gun sales. He has drawn a fervent following by repeatedly challenging federal authority over forestlands.

Palmer, 54, might have remained an obscure local sheriff but for the takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in January.

He publicly sympathized with the armed militants and became a heroic figure among the activists and their supporters. His advocacy burnished his reputation as a "constitutional sheriff" – one of a small band of law officers who believe the Constitution makes them supreme and the federal government subservient.

"You are not kicking us off our public lands," he declared in a 2012 speech. "No more. It's got to stop."”​

Journalism at its best! A good weekend read.

Drove past this Monday. Nothing exciting to see as I rode past. I don't know what I was expecting.

But I told my sister as we drove by, "I get to tell my websleuths peeps I drove past here!"

He's a TV attorney:

“Renowned attorney and national broadcast legal analyst, Brian Claypool is California's preeminent child abuse, civil rights and criminal defense litigator.
Pasadena, CA·brianclaypoolmedia.com”

https://mobile.twitter.com/Brian_Claypool?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Brian Claypool ‏@Brian_Claypool
I have been hired 2 represent Jeanette Finicum and her 12 children 2 file a Federal Civil Rights lawsuit arising from death of #LavoyFinicum​

The document discloses that the government has seized thousands of rounds of shotgun, handgun and rifle ammunition as evidence. It has also seized as evidence at least 60 guns by KATU’s count. Those guns include semi-automatic rifles, shotguns and handguns.

The court filing also includes items like computers, phones, cameras, media storage devices, interviews with the media, phone calls between negotiators and occupiers, emails, text messages, Facebook messages, aerial surveillance and photographs.

The list could become longer.

http://katu.com/news/local/evidence...ge-occupiers-contains-arsenal-of-weapons-ammo

Article includes full List of Exhibits document.

[video=twitter;769261953680146436]https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/769261953680146436[/video]

JJ MacNab ‏@jjmacnab 1h1 hour ago
#oregonstandoff - militias planning on going to Portland federal courthouse? May be something, probably nothing.

Cqz3e5MUEAAav5G.jpg

[video=twitter;769254515174408192]https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/769254515174408192[/video]

Maxine Bernstein ‏@maxoregonian 2h2 hours ago
OR Chf US District Judge Michael W. Mosman dismisses #oregonstandoff def. Medenbach's suit against fed Judge Brown

Cqzwoq9XYAAU5Hx.jpg

Two Defendants Plead Guilty In Nevada Standoff Case

LAS VEGAS, Nev.

“Federal law enforcement officers must be able to engage in their official duties, including executing federal court orders, without fear of assault or losing their lives,” said U.S. Attorney Bogden. “Persons who impede and interfere with the official duties of these law enforcement officers will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.”

Gerald A. DeLemus, 61, of Rochester, N.H., pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit an offense against the United States and one count of interstate travel in aid of extortion.

Blaine Cooper, 36, of Humboldt, Ariz., pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit an offense against the United States and one count of assault on a federal officer.

Both defendants are scheduled to be sentenced on Dec. 1. DeLemus faces up to five years in prison on the conspiracy count, up to 20 years in prison on the extortion count, and fines of up to $250,000 on each count. Cooper faces up to five years in prison on the conspiracy count, up to 20 years in prison on the assault count, and fines of up to $250,000 on each count.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-nv/pr/two-defendants-plead-guilty-nevada-standoff-case-0

Judge: Fear during Oregon standoff not necessarily relevant in conspiracy case
By Maxine Bernstein | The Oregonian/OregonLive
on August 22, 2016 at 6:33 PM, updated August 23, 2016 at 9:44 AM

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/08/judge_fear_felt_by_federal_emp.html

“Federal employees from the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge and Burns residents can't simply testify about the "subjective fears'' they had during the occupation of the bird sanctuary without an admissible purpose for the evidence, the trial judge told prosecutors Monday.

The judge agreed with attorney Matthew Schindler arguing on behalf of defendant Kenneth Medenbach.

"The fact that an official feels incidentally threatened is not relevant,'' Schindler said. "That may be a valid feeling, but that feeling is not evidence.''

Prosecutors intend to call seven employees from the U.S. Bureau of Land Management or U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service to testify at the Sept. 7 trial. They will be asked to explain their work at the refuge and how they were prevented from doing their jobs, identify photos from the refuge and identify defendants driving government vehicles, Assistant U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Barrow told the court.

The testimony is to show that defendants charged with federal conspiracy accomplished their objective in obstructing the employees from carrying out their work during the course of the 41-day armed occupation, Barrow said.”​

More...

Ryan Bundy to keep metal fragments in arm to 'preserve evidence'
By Kale Williams | The Oregonian/OregonLive
on August 27, 2016 at 3:04 PM, updated August 27, 2016 at 4:00 PM

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-st...y_to_keep_metal_fragm.html#incart_river_index

“An attorney for Ryan Bundy said his client will not agree to have metal fragments removed from his shoulder due to concerns that the metal, which he described as "a crucial piece of evidence," could be lost or damaged by law enforcement.

Brian Claypool, who is acting as co-counsel for Bundy, told The Oregonian/OregonLive that Bundy has no plans to have the fragments removed from his arm as it has little bearing on his criminal case, though he left open the possibility of having it surgically removed ahead of a civil lawsuit Bundy plans to file against the government.

"He has not agreed to it being removed," Claypool said in a phone interview. "The concern, from both him and I, is the preservation of evidence."

“Claypool conceded that, at some point, whatever is in Bundy's arm will have to come out, but until he files his civil case, he thinks it is safer in the shoulder of his client than it would be in an evidence locker.

"At some juncture, he'll have to have the bullet removed," Claypool said. "But preservation of evidence is crucial to us and you don't need the bullet for the criminal case."”​

More... Claypool is the TV attorney, co-counsel for Ryan Bundy and representing Jeanette Finicum in her (yet to be actually filed) civil suit.

Ryan Bundy to keep metal fragments in arm to 'preserve evidence'
By Kale Williams | The Oregonian/OregonLive
on August 27, 2016 at 3:04 PM, updated August 27, 2016 at 4:00 PM

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-st...y_to_keep_metal_fragm.html#incart_river_index
“An attorney for Ryan Bundy said his client will not agree to have metal fragments removed from his shoulder due to concerns that the metal, which he described as "a crucial piece of evidence," could be lost or damaged by law enforcement.

Brian Claypool, who is acting as co-counsel for Bundy, told The Oregonian/OregonLive that Bundy has no plans to have the fragments removed from his arm as it has little bearing on his criminal case, though he left open the possibility of having it surgically removed ahead of a civil lawsuit Bundy plans to file against the government.

"He has not agreed to it being removed," Claypool said in a phone interview. "The concern, from both him and I, is the preservation of evidence."

“Claypool conceded that, at some point, whatever is in Bundy's arm will have to come out, but until he files his civil case, he thinks it is safer in the shoulder of his client than it would be in an evidence locker.

"At some juncture, he'll have to have the bullet removed," Claypool said. "But preservation of evidence is crucial to us and you don't need the bullet for the criminal case."”​

More... Claypool is the TV attorney, co-counsel for Ryan Bundy and representing Jeanette Finicum in her (yet to be actually filed) civil suit.
Where do they even come up with these ideas. It's like these guys are trying out for Comedy Central or something.

Where do they even come up with these ideas. It's like these guys are trying out for Comedy Central or something.

So- keeping a bullet in your arm and risking possible infection and pain is preserving it better than removing it???:thinking::waitasec::waitasec::waitasec:

Federal judge denies Oregon standoff defendant Ryan Bundy's motion to ditch his standby counsel
By Maxine Bernstein | The Oregonian/OregonLive
on September 06, 2016 at 12:45 PM, updated September 06, 2016 at 1:04 PM

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/09/federal_judge_denied_oregon_st.html

“U.S. District Judge Anna J. Brown on Tuesday denied Oregon standoff defendant Ryan Bundy's last-minute attempt to ditch his standby counsel.

"I do not want her to represent me. I do not want her assistance,'' Bundy said, standing before the court during its last pretrial conference hearing, a day before jury selection is set to begin.

Bundy, who chose to represent himself in the federal conspiracy case stemming from the armed takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, said he does not trust standby counsel Lisa Ludwig in front of a jury.

Jury selection is scheduled to begin Wednesday, and Bundy is one of eight defendants set for trial.”

“While Brown denied Bundy's motion to dismiss Ludwig as his standby counsel, she went to extra efforts to ensure Bundy had a copy of the federal rules of criminal procedure, as he sought in another of six last-minute motions he filed late Friday.

Brown picked up her thick green copy of the federal rule book, and her clerk hand-delivered it to Bundy, seated at a defense table in front of the bench.

"I signed it,'' the judge said. "It's yours.''”

“For the first time, the prosecutors and defense in the Oregon standoff case met in Courtroom 9A in U.S. District Court in Portland, where the trial will be held. Each of the defendants came dressed in their trial attire and had their photos taken. Photos of each defendant and their names will be presented to the jury of 12 people and eight alternates who are chosen to hear the case.

Ryan Bundy and co-defendant Pete Santilli wore dark suit jackets and dress shirts; Ammon Bundy wore a gray suit. Defendant David Fry wore a blue sweater. Co-defendant Shawna Cox wore a dark blazer, while defendants Jeff Banta, Kenneth Medenbach and Neil Wampler wore button-down shirts and pants.”​

Long article with some additional important information well beyond what the defendents wore.

Andrew Dymburt ‏@DymburtNews 12m12 minutes ago Oak Hills, OR
BREAKING: Just a day b4 #Oregonstandoff trial jury selection all charges dropped against Pete Santilli

Feds dismiss federal conspiracy charge against Oregon standoff defendant Pete Santilli on eve of trial

In a motion filed late Tuesday afternoon, federal prosecutions urged the court to dismiss the indictment against Santilli.

They cited U.S. District Judge Anna J. Brown's ruling last week that limited the evidence that the government could be present against Santilli.

For example, the judge ruled prosecutors could not present evidence of Santilli haranguing counter-protesters at the refuge or badgering traditional media in an attempt to counter Santilli's defense that he was simply acting as a member of the press documenting the refuge takeover.

"Based upon this Court's pretrial evidentiary rulings excluding evidence against Santilli, the government has decided that the interests of justice do not support further pursuit of these charges against Santilli,'' according to a motion signed by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Ethan Knight, Craig Gabriel and Geoffrey Barrow.

more

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/09/feds_dismiss_federal_conspirac.html

At first, I thought 'Wow!’. But, reading the article, I can understand why. At least he still faces charges in Nevada:

“Santilli faces more serious charges in Nevada, where he faces a 16-count indictment, accused of conspiring to assault federal officers, threaten officers, obstruct justice, extort officers, and use and brandish a firearm in relation to a crime of violence stemming from the armed standoff outside the Bundy ranch near Bunkerville, Nevada.

The government alleges Santilli recruited gunmen to the ranch, helped lead an assault on U.S. Bureau of Land Management officers trying to roundup cattle on federal land, conducted reconnaissance of hotels where federal officers were staying and delivered an ultimatum to the land bureau's agent in charge to leave the impound site.”​

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back