OR OR - Toby Eugene Anderson, 18, Selma, Aug 22, 1988

Murkywaters

Reaction score
Original

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Toby’s last known location was in the area of Selma, OR. The date of last contact may not be exact.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Demographics
Missing Age: 18 Years
Current Age: 50 Years
First Name: Toby
Middle Name: Eugene
Last Name: Anderson
Nickname/Alias--
Sex: Male
Height: 5' 5" - 5' 7" (65 - 67 Inches)
Weight: 150 - 170 lbs
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last Contact: August 22, 1988
NamUs Case Created: January 25, 2020
Last Known Location Map
County: Josephine County

Circumstances of Disappearance: Toby’s last known location was in the area of Selma, OR. The date of last contact may not be exact.
Physical Description
Hair Color: Brown
Head Hair Description --
Body Hair Description --
Facial Hair Description --
Left Eye Color: Green
Right Eye Color: Green
Eye Description --

Distinctive Physical Features
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
No Information Entered

Last edited:
Toby Eugene Anderson – The Charley Project

anderson_toby.jpg
anderson_toby2.jpg

• Missing Since 08/22/1988
  • Missing From Selma, Oregon
  • Classification Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 12/18/1969 (50)
  • Age 18 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'5 - 5'7, 150 - 170 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, green eyes.

Details of Disappearance
Anderson was last seen in Selma, Oregon on or around August 22, 1988, although the exact date of his disappearance may not be correct. He has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.

Hi, welcome!

Do you know why the date of disappearance is so vague? What was Toby doing when he was last seen?

I have recently been in contact with Toby's cousin via FB and I am going to be posting some flyers for his case around Selma Oregon. There seems to be some actual investigation being done by an Oregon State Police Detective.

I don't have all the facts but my understanding is the last time anyone saw Toby he was left at the residence of his Uncle in Selma OR. The uncle stated he was going to take Toby go the Grants Pass Police Department a nearby town. No records of them ever having contact with GP police. Toby was never seen again after being left with the Uncle.

The Uncle is currently in prison in Arkansas for sexually abusing a child. He is suspected by family members of having more victims of the sexual abuse as well as possible murders.

IMO I think Toby caught on to his Uncle's criminal activities as he was abusing his own children (Toby's younger cousins) and that is why the Uncle possibly murdered Toby.

The family also suspects him in a possible other missing persons case in Oregon. I was told he also is a possible suspect in the murder of a young girl at a campground in Arkansas that the Uncle was confirmed to be camping at the same time that crime took place.

The uncle always claimed Toby was a problem child, had been abusing his younger cousins and that Toby probably ran away.

But more recently through letters he is writing from prison he is dropping hints as to Toby being buried on a "hill" I believe.

Through my contact with the cousin I got the address of the residence the Uncle lived at with Toby and the last place Toby was seen alive. I noticed that immediately behind the house/property was acreage all the way up a large hill. I believe the OSP Det is attempting to contact land owners to get permission to conduct a search of that hill.

Until then I am going to be posting flyers and trying to jog any old timers memories in the Selma and surrounding areas to see if they remember Toby or his Uncle "Billy" Almer and see if anyone might have any other details that just never emerged due to the lack of knowledge on Toby's case but also the passing of time.

By all accounts from the Cousin and other family members Toby was good kid who got into a bad situation with a really horrible person as an Uncle.

Let's see if we can get some justice for Toby!

Toby Eugene Anderson – The Charley Project
  • anderson_toby.jpg
  • anderson_toby2.jpg
  • anderson_toby_ap.jpg
  • anderson_toby_wright.jpg
Toby, circa 1986; Age-progression to age 50 (circa 2019); Almer "Billy" Wright, Toby's uncle

• Missing Since09/01/1986
  • Missing FromSelma, Oregon
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • SexMale
  • RaceWhite
  • Date of Birth12/18/1969 (50)
  • Age16 years old
  • Height and Weight5'5 - 5'7, 150 - 170 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Brown hair, green eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Toby was last seen in Selma, Oregon sometime in September or October 1986. (Many agencies give the date of disappearance as August 22, 1988.) At the time of his disappearance, due to family problems he had been staying back and forth among different relatives. They heard different stories as to what happened to him, including that he had run away or that he died in a car wreck.

His cousin, Denise McGarity, began investigating his disappearance in 2018, and discovered that Toby's paternal uncle, Almer W. "Billy" Wright, is the last person he is known to have lived with. He attended Illinois Valley High School. When McGarity wrote to Wright about the case, he stated Toby had been caught trying to rape one of his daughters and had hidden in a chicken coop afterwards. Wright found him there and drove him away from the property in his car.

Where they went after that is unclear and Wright told inconsistent stories about it. At one point he said he dropped Toby off at either the juvenile hall or the police department in Cave Junction, Oregon and left him there. Another time, he said Toby was probably dead, and if he died he was killed by being struck in the back of the head, and that his body was buried on a property in California. Other family members told McGarity that after Toby went missing, Wright had threatened them, saying that they would end up on a hill like Toby.

It is worth noting that, at the time of Toby's disappearance, Wright was involved with the drug trade, and he also has a history of domestic violence. Several months after Toby went missing, Wright took his family and moved to Arkansas. He claimed he had to take care of his sick mother, but his mother was not sick. He is currently in prison for rape and child molestation and is supposed to be released in September 2021. A photo of him is posted with this case summary.

The circumstances of Toby's disappearance are very unclear. Contrary to some of the rumors within the family, there is no evidence that he died in a car accident, and the police stated if Toby had been dropped off at the police station or juvenile hall as Wright claimed, a report would have been filed and Toby's parents would have been contacted.

McGarity and law enforcement have been unable to find any indication that Toby was alive after 1986. McGarity believes her cousin was murdered on the night of his disappearance and that his body is buried somewhere on the five-acre property where he lived with his uncle. His case remains unsolved.
Investigating Agency
Source Information
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated October 19, 2020; date of disappearance corrected, age-progression added, details of disappearance updated.

The Vanished Podcast just released an episode about Toby's disappearance.
What a sad story.
<iframe src="Toby Anderson" style="width: 100%; height: 200px; border: 0 none;" scrolling="no"></iframe>

1661771159507.png

16-year-old Toby Anderson had found himself in some trouble during his teen years. Toby’s life wasn’t easy, and he began to act out. Toby was sent to a juvenile facility in Northern California and was shifted around between different family members. Then, he just disappeared, and everyone seemed to believe Toby had run away. Since Toby had been in trouble, running away didn’t seem far-fetched. Toby’s father searched for him and contacted relatives in other states to see if he had turned up there, but he never did. Then, Toby’s dad died, and not much was done to look for him. Decades later, a cousin took an interest in finding Toby. She learned that some of what she had been told about Toby couldn’t be true, and what she began to uncover was truly horrifying.

If you have any information regarding the disappearance of Toby Anderson, please contact the Oregon State Police at (541) 776-6236.

Just finished listening to this podcast and it is heartbreaking. It doesn’t sound like Toby ever had much of a stable childhood and was shuffled around from family to family like a piece of luggage. He looks like a sweet kid in his photos. I read some of the court cases involving his uncle and what a despicable person. I hope truth will come to light someday about that really happened to Toby. His cousin is a real go getter and I have a good feeling she can find some answers.

Is there any information about the juvenile detention center he was in? Any record he was actually there?

Reactions: IDK
Small update for you folks- so, Toby's cousin Denise was able to arrange a privately funded k9 search on the property that Toby was living at with his uncle Billy earlier this month, but less than 48 hours before this search was to take place, the property owners decided that they were uncomfortable with the idea of police being on their property. Since police are necessary in aiding the search efforts, the family who currently owns the property revoked their consent for the search to take place. This is a gigantic step in the wrong direction, but Denise and her team aren't giving up.
They're trying to gain as much media traction as possible, so that pressure can be put on OSP to obtain a warrant for a search. OSP won't do this willingly due to the age of the case. Something's gotta give here, guys.

Feb 14, 2023

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myauris11
Back