Found Deceased OR - Wilma Acosta, 28, last seen at Dixie Tavern, phone found at Japanese American Historical Plaza, Portland, 26 Nov 2023

Same logic - would Wilma have stayed and not left with them - waiting until closing time to get a job application?
Agreed. AFAIK there have been no reports regarding Wilma acting in an irrational manner that night. MOO, but I would find it odd that a group of friends would leave her at the Dixie Tavern alone, late at night, if Wilma had been exhibiting any obvious depressive or suicidal tendencies. However, the point about Wilma waiting until closing time just to get a job application does seem a bit strange.

I'm curious how LE came to the conclusion that Wilma jumped into the Willamette River. Yes, her phone was discovered in that general area, but IMO that by itself doesn't necessarily prove anything.

Portland police searching for missing, endangered woman

Other than statements from LE, we have no information regarding Wilma's MH state. LE claims she "had suicidal ideations in the past and has a history of depression" but no timeline is provided. Was this in the days leading up to her disappearance or did those MH issues take place years ago?

All we know at this point is that LE suggests she jumped into the Willamette River, while family and friends suggest she may have met with foul play after leaving Dixie's Tavern.

The body of a 28-year-old Portland woman missing since November was found in the Willamette River near Cathedral Park on Tuesday, PPB announced Wednesday.

<modsnip - snipped for 10% copyright rule. More at link>

SBM

Last edited by a moderator:
The statement released by the family was amazing.
I am so glad they felt they were treated well by so many in Portland and they thanked so many agencies when they are in such a state of grief. As a family member of a suicide victim, I hope they seek out a support group.

I don't think anyone posted that Wilma Acosta was found deceased in the Willamette River on Jan 3, 2024. LE is being cagey on this one, stating "no signs of foul play" and suggesting it was suicide. Family does not agree, and I'm on their side. Too many people vanishing and then turning up in the river weeks later.

( I feel the need to digress to point out something that is playing a big role in how these cases are presented to the public. Cathedral Park is downriver towards the St. John's bridge. Bodies are often "found" there, but other articles state the bodies are found in other parts of the river, and then transported by dragging down to Cathedral Park where the medical examiner looks at them. Not sure why that's necessary, but there are now 4 cases now all referencing Cathedral Park)

from Missing Portland woman Wilma Acosta found dead in Willamette River

PORTLAND Ore. (KPTV) - The body of a 28-year-old Portland woman missing since November was found in the Willamette River near Cathedral Park (emphasis mine) on Tuesday, PPB announced Wednesday.
The body has been identified as Wilma Acosta, and while the medical examiner has not yet determined her cause of death, authorities said they “observed no signs of foul play.”

RELATED: Family: 28-year-old daughter went missing in Portland’s Old Town last week

Acosta was last seen leaving a bar near the corner of Northwest Couch Street and Northwest Third Avenue in the early morning hours of Nov. 26, 2023. Her cell phone was tracked to the Japanese American Historical Plaza on the west side of the Willamette River.

In December, Portland police announced that they do not suspect any foul play in Acosta’s disappearance, and their initial investigation found videos of Acosta leaving Dixie’s Tavern shortly after 2 a.m. and then walking toward the Willamette River. Investigators said she walked up to the seawall but it was unclear what happened after.

They said Acosta had suicidal ideations and depression, which they also noted in their initial media release. However, her family strongly disputed the assertion.

RELATED: Family of missing woman disputes PPB determination of no ‘foul play’

On Wednesday after her body had been found, her family released the following statement:

“Our family would like to ask that our privacy is respected at this time. We first and foremost want to thank God for allowing us to find Wilma and letting us put her to rest. We would like to thank all of those who have been helpful to us during this incredibly difficult time: Portland Fire & Rescue’s Dive Team; Portland Police Bureau; the MMIW and MMI groups for their help and for treating us like family; Commissioner Rubio for opening her doors and giving our family a place to rest while we searched for Wilma; the faith community, including Pastor Robin Wisener; Honorary Consul for Guatemala Marta Guembes; and all those who walked with us and provided us with so much needed help.”

Police continue to ask anyone with information about Acosta’s disappearance to contact PPB’s Missing Persons Unit at missing@police.portlandoregon.gov and reference case number 23-306375.

I don't think anyone posted that Wilma Acosta was found deceased in the Willamette River on Jan 3, 2024. LE is being cagey on this one, stating "no signs of foul play" and suggesting it was suicide. Family does not agree, and I'm on their side. Too many people vanishing and then turning up in the river weeks later.

( I feel the need to digress to point out something that is playing a big role in how these cases are presented to the public. Cathedral Park is downriver towards the St. John's bridge. Bodies are often "found" there, but other articles state the bodies are found in other parts of the river, and then transported by dragging down to Cathedral Park where the medical examiner looks at them. Not sure why that's necessary, but there are now 4 cases now all referencing Cathedral Park)

from Missing Portland woman Wilma Acosta found dead in Willamette River

PORTLAND Ore. (KPTV) - The body of a 28-year-old Portland woman missing since November was found in the Willamette River near Cathedral Park (emphasis mine) on Tuesday, PPB announced Wednesday.
The body has been identified as Wilma Acosta, and while the medical examiner has not yet determined her cause of death, authorities said they “observed no signs of foul play.”

RELATED: Family: 28-year-old daughter went missing in Portland’s Old Town last week

Acosta was last seen leaving a bar near the corner of Northwest Couch Street and Northwest Third Avenue in the early morning hours of Nov. 26, 2023. Her cell phone was tracked to the Japanese American Historical Plaza on the west side of the Willamette River.

In December, Portland police announced that they do not suspect any foul play in Acosta’s disappearance, and their initial investigation found videos of Acosta leaving Dixie’s Tavern shortly after 2 a.m. and then walking toward the Willamette River. Investigators said she walked up to the seawall but it was unclear what happened after.

They said Acosta had suicidal ideations and depression, which they also noted in their initial media release. However, her family strongly disputed the assertion.

RELATED: Family of missing woman disputes PPB determination of no ‘foul play’

On Wednesday after her body had been found, her family released the following statement:

“Our family would like to ask that our privacy is respected at this time. We first and foremost want to thank God for allowing us to find Wilma and letting us put her to rest. We would like to thank all of those who have been helpful to us during this incredibly difficult time: Portland Fire & Rescue’s Dive Team; Portland Police Bureau; the MMIW and MMI groups for their help and for treating us like family; Commissioner Rubio for opening her doors and giving our family a place to rest while we searched for Wilma; the faith community, including Pastor Robin Wisener; Honorary Consul for Guatemala Marta Guembes; and all those who walked with us and provided us with so much needed help.”

Police continue to ask anyone with information about Acosta’s disappearance to contact PPB’s Missing Persons Unit at missing@police.portlandoregon.gov and reference case number 23-306375.
While it seems that you're on a mission here, both Wilma Acosta and MH (who I believe had her thread removed at her family's request) were said to be at risk of self harm at the time they went missing.

It is common for families to struggle to accept the loss of their loved ones. Sadly, social media has created conspiracy theorists around missing persons cases, where no death can be self harm or accident, and every missing persons case must be the result of a crime. Conspiracy theories are dangerous, especially when mixed with a family's grief. IMO, instead of creating shadowy bad guys, we as humans would be better off working to understand the increasing rates of mental illness and suicide in the US and working to create better support systems for at-risk populations. Just my 2 cents, JMO etc.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6
Back