Oregon - Coronavirus COVID-19

Lilibet

Southern Oregon
Reaction score
Heartwarming story from my county in Southern Oregon. I think this may involve our first case in the county, which was travel related. (@kodi alert)

MEDFORD, Ore. — A local man has earned the praise of Jackson County's emergency manager after he drove nearly 750 miles to pick up a dog separated from its owner by an unexpected quarantine.

Summarizing the short article:
Apparently the dog owner had dropped off his car and dog in CA before going on a cruise, but couldn’t retrieve either one when he returned and was put in quarantine. So this local man took a trailer and retrieved both the car and the dog. :)

Jackson County man drives almost 750 miles to rescue dog stranded by owner's quarantine

Heartwarming story from my county in Southern Oregon. I think this may involve our first case in the county, which was travel related. (@kodi alert)

MEDFORD, Ore. — A local man has earned the praise of Jackson County's emergency manager after he drove nearly 750 miles to pick up a dog separated from its owner by an unexpected quarantine.

Summarizing the short article:
Apparently the dog owner had dropped off his car and dog in CA before going on a cruise, but couldn’t retrieve either one when he returned and was put in quarantine. So this local man took a trailer and retrieved both the car and the dog. :)

Jackson County man drives almost 750 miles to rescue dog stranded by owner's quarantine

What a great story! And I hadn’t heard about; thank you, @Lilibet. It’s so nice to hear the heart warming stories transpiring out of this.

Edited to complete the post.

I see that Klamath County has gone up to five cases. I know the 4th case was the first of community spread. Don't know about the fifth case, I saw it here: COVID-19/Coronavirus Live Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

And that same site also says there is now a first case in Malheur County.

Edit: Klamath County site says case #5 is also community spread. So I consider it's "there" now.

I live in California but near the border, and KFalls is one of the "big cities" my area goes to for shopping etc. Hope this doesn't become the vector for it to reach us. Folks in my area are only taking it half seriously.

Last edited:
SOUTHERN OREGON

Jackson County—rapid community spread phase:

Dr. Shames says the county has entered a phase of rapid community spread with coronavirus.

“It starts off really slow and at some point it reaches kind of what’s called the inflection point where the spread gets really fast and I believe we are kind of in that space now,” Dr. Shames said.

Jackson County sent hundreds of tests to private labs and the Oregon Health Authority, but there is a lag time between when the test is taken and when the result comes back. The delay can be up to ten days.

“We are looking back in time when we look at the test results cause very few of them were done within 24 hours,” Dr. Shames said.

While the vast majority of tests have come back negative, Dr. Shames says don’t assume any location is safe.

Jackson Co. enters 'rapid community spread' phase of coronavirus - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2

Southern Oregon medical professionals needed:

Through the program SERV-OR, anyone with a medical license is able to volunteer their time to help with medical needs.

“SERV-OR is a volunteer base that we have at the state of Oregon and it’s really for medical professionals. It’s a way for those medical professionals that want to volunteer during times of COVID-19,” Tanya Phillips, Health Promotion Manager for Jackson County Public Health, said.

Southern Oregon calls for medical professional to join battle against COVID-19

No “hot spots” in Jackson County...evenly spread out.

Jackson County Public Health is reporting one new COVID-19 case, bringing the total to 21 cases in Jackson County.

According to a press release sent by the county's health officials, There are currently no “hot spots” in Jackson County, and cases are largely distributed throughout the county, which demonstrates community spread, and spread that is widespread. The Centers for Disease Control reports that Oregon has community spread, and it is widespread.
Jackson County Health: 1 new case of COVID-19; county's total is 21

COVID-19 cases evenly spread in Jackson County, confirmed cases rise to 21

I see that Klamath County has gone up to five cases. I know the 4th case was the first of community spread. Don't know about the fifth case, I saw it here: COVID-19/Coronavirus Live Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

And that same site also says there is now a first case in Malheur County.

Edit: Klamath County site says case #5 is also community spread. So I consider it's "there" now.

I live in California but near the border, and KFalls is one of the "big cities" my area goes to for shopping etc. Hope this doesn't become the vector for it to reach us. Folks in my area are only taking it half seriously.

Yes, here’s an article about Klamath County. As is true in Jackson County, no doubt test results are running up to ten days behind, so it’s just begun. If folks in your area aren’t taking it seriously, it will get to you sooner or later. :(

5 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Klamath County - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2

Yes, here’s an article about Klamath County. As is true in Jackson County, no doubt test results are running up to ten days behind, so it’s just begun. If folks in your area aren’t taking it seriously, it will get to you sooner or later. :(

5 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Klamath County - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2

A friend of mine is headed to KF today for an eye doctor appointment that she said couldn't be postponed -- she had postponed it for three weeks already due to weather etc, and she's dealing with a serious eye condition that is unfortunately progressing.

But I think I scared her appropriately into not stopping ANYWHERE else. Normally a trip to Oregon would mean a stocking-up shopping trip (no sales tax!) as well as filling the gas tank (cheaper than California!).

But she told me she filled the tank before she left, and will bring her own lunch so she doesn't need to get any food anywhere. And when I offered her a few pair of gloves in case she needed to touch anything public, she said she had bought a box at the hardware store just the day before.

So hopefully she is taking it seriously now.

One of my library patrons who had been ill for weeks and finally recovered a week ago, called me at the library yesterday to renew some items because she had forgotten to return them "and was now in Redding visiting kids and grandkids". Sigh. I get that she probably hadn't seen her family in weeks if she had been ill, but -- come on, people! Now this lady will return at some point, bringing Shasta County germs back to us...

I'm actually amazed that anyplace is still virus-free. I guess that is an illusion, as you suggest, due to low testing numbers plus delays on getting test results back...

APR 2, 2020
Oregon veteran celebrates 104th birthday after coronavirus recovery
An Oregon veteran has overcome his battle with coronavirus, and he was able to celebrate his 104th birthday as a result.

William Lapschies lives at a veterans’ home in Lebanon, where he was one of 15 who tested positive for coronavirus in early March. Two died, and some weren’t sure if he would survive.

His family feared the worst when he became extremely sick at the eight-day mark of the illness, but he felt much better Wednesday as his family celebrated along with him from a distance.

[...]

New digital platform for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland!

The Oregon Shakespeare Festival is taking a new step into the digital world, hoping to connect with the millions of Oregonians stuck at home during the coronavirus pandemic.

The southern Oregon theater company launched its new digital platform, O!, on Wednesday, where it expects to begin streaming previously staged performances as well as documentaries, behind-the-scenes footage, interviews and educational videos.

Oregon Shakespeare Festival will stream performances online with new platform ‘O!’

Although live productions were suspended in March, with hopes to resume in September, audiences can enjoy mostly free content on the new digital platform, originally scheduled to debut in 2021 but bumped up due to coronavirus.

Don’t let the name fool you. The Festival is Shakespeare and much, much more.
You will not be disappointed (shameless plug for my former employer :)). Enjoy!

| O!

'We really need help': Coronavirus overwhelms rural Oregon

“The coronavirus has torn through the small Oregon community where farmers grow crops such as potatoes, onions and grains. In Umatilla County, where Pendleton is located, the rate of people testing positive for COVID-19 is about 16%. That's a measure of how widespread the disease is in the community, and the World Health Organization recommends it stay below 5%.

In the county with a population of 77,000, the virus has infected more than a thousand people and killed nine, overwhelming its limited resources and employees.

“I’m tired,” said Griggs, who's working as a contact tracer.

The pandemic sweeping through major U.S. cities is now wreaking havoc on rural communities, with some recording the nation's most new confirmed cases per capita in the past two weeks. The virus is infecting thousands of often impoverished rural residents every day, swamping struggling health care systems and piling responsibility on government workers who often perform multiple jobs they never signed up for.

Officials attribute much of the spread in rural America to outbreaks in workplaces, living facilities and social gatherings. Food processing plants and farms, where people typically work in cramped quarters, have proven to be hot spots.”

[...]

“Officials recognize that rural case numbers are low compared with city totals, but even a slight increase can push a small community over the edge.

“We’ve discovered we are getting really overwhelmed by the rapid numbers in the rise we are seeing now,” Umatilla County Commissioner George Murdock said. “We really need help.”

The county has received guidance, contact tracers, case investigators and equipment from the state, but Murdock says more help might be necessary. Officials need housing alternatives for people who have COVID-19 or are living with multiple families and field teams to serve at-risk residents and distribute federal aid to poor families, he said.”

Oregon COVID-19 updates July 21: Expert says wear masks outdoors unless 15-20 feet from others

“The guidelines in Oregon and Washington include wearing a mask, even outdoors, if you can't socially distance 6 feet from others. But an air quality expert at Portland State University suggests people wear face coverings unless they are 15-20 feet away from other people.“

Masks outdoors: Expert says wear them unless you're 15-20 feet away from people

“While there has been documented transmission from outdoor large gatherings, it appears to be much lower than indoors," said Dr. Richard Corsi, an air quality expert at Portland State University. "But there's still a risk."

Corsi said the main concern with crowds is close-contact transmission and sometimes 6 feet might not even be enough.

"If the wind is blowing in the right direction and someone's speaking from 15 feet away and a large droplet comes out of their mouth and the wind is blowing in the right direction, that can reach you," he explained.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back