Orlando Sentinel motion filed on where 200K was spent

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC...if JB had brokered the deal that paid his fees it could be a conflict. He consulted with ethics attorney Timothy Chinaris early on. At the time, it passed the "test".

However, we don't know if the deal was brokered and structured according to ethical guidelines. In light of the recent comment by ABC that it was not just photos, but exclusive interview rights that they paid for....I think a revisit to her indigency affidavit is in order.

IMO, the fact that JB did not have KC set aside $$ to cover taxes tells me that either he never expected her to be aquitted, she didn't give a flip, or something shady was done to hide $$.

Didn't JB testify to the fact that there was no deal other than the sale of the pictures? No payment for interviews, book, movie deals, etc. $200,000 does seem like a lot of money to pay for pictures of a missing child so it is possible ABC has already paid for this interview with KC on whatever the outcome of the trial would be and JB is now trying to sell it to NBC, too? jmo

Funny....yesterday I mentioned on the probation thread that HHJS knew the secret about how FCA was going to pay JB. Guess I wasn't the only one hoping that more would come up about JB and his "secrets". Bet there was a lot of secrecy going on in this high-profile "Death is Different" case that cost the taxpayers needless expense.

Me thinks if nothing else....this motion will open up a large can of "escrow account" worms.

Those get really slimy.

I'm affraid to get my hopes up for any karma coming to call on any of these people.
Selling your soul to the devil pays sky high as we've seen.

Me thinks if nothing else....this motion will open up a large can of "escrow account" worms.

Those get really slimy.

Is it possible to trace where every cent went, like if it was hidden for CFCA later use when she was set free?

Is it possible to trace where every cent went, like if it was hidden for CFCA later use when she was set free?

Only by The Florida Bar, JAC, and the good old IRS.

I have often wondered if Todd Macaluso's "donation" was made in an attempt to muddy the records and launder money in his own case.

I doubt that her stingy attorney was that generous. They thought she was goin' away for a very long time.

If Baez made a deal, received the money and put it in his firm's trust account (which he should have done since she was in jail) then he has to account for every penny . If he can't, then he can be audited and disciplined by the state bar association (which could include suspension or disbarrment).

If Baez made a deal, received the money and put it in his firm's trust account (which he should have done since she was in jail) then he has to account for every penny . If he can't, then he can be audited and disciplined by the state bar association (which could include suspension or disbarrment).

The really sticky thing is this......

If the money was paid TO Jose or the law firm then it would be an ethical issue subject to review by the Florida Bar. An attorney should not broker a deal for their own personal or professional gain if the money has been paid relating to the client you are representing.

JB had consulted with an ethics attorney about acting as KC's broker. It was deemed above board at the time. BUT.....it would have only been above board if KC had received the money herself and deposited it into her own account. We don't know that it ever happened.

If JB deposited the money for KC into his escrow account without accurate and proper documentation, he would have been comingling funds. That's a big no no. KC could later argue that JB misappropriated her funds.

Now consider that KC has an outstanding IRS lien against the funds. The lien was addressed to KC in care of The Baez Law Firm.

An ethical attorney would have insisted that the client open up a dedicated account in their name and then transfer or pay to the firm for costs as billed.

I would venture to guess that JB not only failed to keep proper accounting for each penny of the ABC money, but that he made that deposit right into his account and risked an ethics investigation from the Fl. Bar.

This motion by the OS may have far more impact than JB intended.

That escrow acct was probably used as an ATM.

I am anxiously awaiting this release. I remember hearing someone from DT mentioning something about money he had received for FCA and the IRS lien, shortly after the verdict. It was really awkward and glossed over by the "chasehimdownforaninterview we'vetalkedseveraltimes" Baez fan JVM. :)

I posted about it then and have not been able to find any other reference of that conversation since then.

This should be interesting...link to my post from 7/6: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6867486&postcount=150"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - All sorts of people suing casey[/ame]

At the time of this in camera private meeting Baez had sought the advice of an attorney. He knew he had a conflict of interest. I think the motion mentions it briefly. Then he had control over those funds. How they were set up in an account etc. Out of the 200K he got somewhere around 91K if my memory serves me. Now, he fought and fought this until he finally had to show where the funds were spent when Casey filed for indigent status.

I'm sure there is not a dime left in the account. And if funds disappeared and then reappeared he has a problem. That is why Todd Macaluso was disbarred. Time will tell I'm not accusing him but no, I don't think he saved any for his client. He had no idea she would ever walk free... He didn't believe that until he came up with his opening statement game.

Baez also as an attorney in control of that money should have paid the taxes within the year of receiving those funds. But the money was gone by March 2010.

The really sticky thing is this......

If the money was paid TO Jose or the law firm then it would be an ethical issue subject to review by the Florida Bar. An attorney should not broker a deal for their own personal or professional gain if the money has been paid relating to the client you are representing.

JB had consulted with an ethics attorney about acting as KC's broker. It was deemed above board at the time. BUT.....it would have only been above board if KC had received the money herself and deposited it into her own account. We don't know that it ever happened.

If JB deposited the money for KC into his escrow account without accurate and proper documentation, he would have been comingling funds. That's a big no no. KC could later argue that JB misappropriated her funds.

Now consider that KC has an outstanding IRS lien against the funds. The lien was addressed to KC in care of The Baez Law Firm.

An ethical attorney would have insisted that the client open up a dedicated account in their name and then transfer or pay to the firm for costs as billed.

I would venture to guess that JB not only failed to keep proper accounting for each penny of the ABC money, but that he made that deposit right into his account and risked an ethics investigation from the Fl. Bar.

This motion by the OS may have far more impact than JB intended.

remind me of the total outstanding by the IRS? 60+k? ish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa