Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #66~ the appeal~

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn’t yet clear exactly what Pistorius will be doing for his community service, but reports suggest tasks could include sweeping outside museums and cleaning hospitals. :sweep:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/11/15/oscar-pistorius-reports-for-first-day-of-community-service-5503420/

LOL... it's beyond me where you get these nifty animated emoticoms... they always make me smile.

This "sweeping" one makes me imagine OP might be doing his community service in Judge M's courtroom... you know, trying to sweep up all those pesky feathers Mr. Nel used to draw an analogy between the weight of one feather (one piece of Circumstantial Evidence) compared to the "scale tipping" weight of a bundle of feathers (boatload of CE).

P.S. This emoticom is not, of course, the one I'm longing to see... sigh.

Masipa made an error while reading her judgment. On day one she repeatedly said words to the effect that OP hadn’t admitted that he had the intention to shoot and kill the deceased. The following day she amended this by adding, “or any other person for that matter”. Unfortunately for Masipa, a judge must correct an error immediately it is made, or certainly while the court is in session. She cannot come back the next day and correct it.

This article was published following the verdict.

The vast majority of the legal fraternity agree that the State failed to make a compelling case, but they are nonetheless adamant that the prosecution satisfied the legal requirements for a conviction of second-degree murder, or murder dolus eventualis.

Ulrich Roux said, “Our law is very clear on the matter. ... I have yet to meet a lawyer or legal expert who doesn’t see it that way. From the evidence, it is clear that Pistorius knew there was a real possibility that he would kill whoever was behind that door. It’s a form of indirect intention, and this is murder dolus eventualis.”

Masipa, however, appears to have focused her interpretation of the law on the fact that OP didn’t knowingly kill Reeva, while the law clearly refers to the death of a person, any person, and not necessarily the person identified in a charge sheet. It is on this key point that she is likely to come in for some ferocious criticism over the next few days.

“Given that Masipa’s high court judgment legally binds the regional and magistrate’s courts in Gauteng, a province notorious for its high murder rates, to follow the precedent she has set, is the state not actually obliged to appeal?”

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/masipa-got-it-wrong-in-law-1.1750505#.VksgTWyhc4k

Bolded part - is this really true?

I thought the case was overwhelming.

Masipa made an error while reading her judgment. On day one she repeatedly said words to the effect that OP hadn’t admitted that he had the intention to shoot and kill the deceased. The following day she amended this by adding, “or any other person for that matter”. Unfortunately for Masipa, a judge must correct an error immediately it is made, or certainly while the court is in session. She cannot come back the next day and correct it.

This article was published following the verdict.

The vast majority of the legal fraternity agree that the State failed to make a compelling case, but they are nonetheless adamant that the prosecution satisfied the legal requirements for a conviction of second-degree murder, or murder dolus eventualis.

Ulrich Roux said, “Our law is very clear on the matter. ... I have yet to meet a lawyer or legal expert who doesn’t see it that way. From the evidence, it is clear that Pistorius knew there was a real possibility that he would kill whoever was behind that door. It’s a form of indirect intention, and this is murder dolus eventualis.”

Masipa, however, appears to have focused her interpretation of the law on the fact that OP didn’t knowingly kill Reeva, while the law clearly refers to the death of a person, any person, and not necessarily the person identified in a charge sheet. It is on this key point that she is likely to come in for some ferocious criticism over the next few days.

“Given that Masipa’s high court judgment legally binds the regional and magistrate’s courts in Gauteng, a province notorious for its high murder rates, to follow the precedent she has set, is the state not actually obliged to appeal?”

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/masipa-got-it-wrong-in-law-1.1750505#.VksgTWyhc4k

I thought the case was overwhelming, and all my legal type friends agreed.

LOL... it's beyond me where you get these nifty animated emoticoms... they always make me smile.

This "sweeping" one makes me imagine OP might be doing his community service in Judge M's courtroom... you know, trying to sweep up all those pesky feathers Mr. Nel used to draw an analogy between the weight of one feather (one piece of Circumstantial Evidence) compared to the "scale tipping" weight of a bundle of feathers (boatload of CE).

Here ya go

:jail:

Here ya go

Ohhh but you're being bad... I say that because I'm pretty sure you know that's NOT the emoti that I'm impatiently waiting for here. lol

In all seriousness, however, if you're suggesting that the final result of the Appeal might see OP getting put back in prison for, at least, three-full-years (on top of what he's already served), then I think I can live with that. I would be happier seeing him have to serve a Full-Five-years in prison (including time already served).

So where's Frank? I wonder what that dude been up to for the past 2 3/4 years.

I thought the case was overwhelming, and all my legal type friends agreed.

I only quoted parts of the article due to the copyright rule. I should have included the last sentence of the preceding paragraph which reads "However, the State charged him with premeditated murder when the trial began last March". The article then goes on to say "the vast majority of the legal fraternity agree that the State failed to make a compelling case".

From all the articles I read after the State closed its case, that did in fact appear to be their opinion - the State hadn't proved premeditated murder. Of course not all of us would agree with that opinion.

RSBM

This must be the one you want to see :behindbar:

When you click on Post Quick Reply, Reply or Reply with Quote, then click on Go Advanced. You'll see a group of emoticons on the right of your screen. Underneath the emoticons click on More and you'll see the whole range.

Pistorius Trial Travesty – Would Judge Judy Have Done a Better Job?

Haha, I’m sure she would have. “Judge Judy sees through liars and has no truck with fake snivelling”.

http://pistoriusontrial.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/pistorius-verdict-would-judge-judy-have.html
Very amusing article with some interesting points.

I meant to add this excerpt from the link, as it's something we've all pointed out so often!

Judge Masipa decides to believe part of Dr Stipp’s testimony – the part about Oscar’s so-called remorse, which she uses as a reason to dismiss the premeditated murder charge
BUT
She chooses not to believe the part where he heard female screams and gunfire.

bbm

... cleaning the objects of evidence before witness- and expert questioning (like ie a toilet door)?? :D

bbm

... cleaning the objects of evidence before witness- and expert questioning (like ie a toilet door)?? :D

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/oscar-pistorius-murder-trial-five-3419961

Door fibres 'caused by dusters?'

In one of the more bizarre questions from Gerrie Nel today, Mr Dixon was asked whether fibres the forensic geologist believed he had found on Pistorius' bathroom door could have come from cleaners' dusters.

The prosecutor said Mr Dixon had been upset when he tried to take close-up photographs of the door in the court room on March 13, because cleaning ladies were cleaning it.

Nel asked whether the witness was sure the fibres - which he yesterday claimed matched the socks worn by Pistorius on his prosthetic leg - were not caused by the cleaning rags.

Mr Dixon said he had watched the cleaners and they did not use enough force to transfer fibres.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/oscar-pistorius-murder-trial-five-3419961

Door fibres 'caused by dusters?'

In one of the more bizarre questions from Gerrie Nel today, Mr Dixon was asked whether fibres the forensic geologist believed he had found on Pistorius' bathroom door could have come from cleaners' dusters.

The prosecutor said Mr Dixon had been upset when he tried to take close-up photographs of the door in the court room on March 13, because cleaning ladies were cleaning it.

Nel asked whether the witness was sure the fibres - which he yesterday claimed matched the socks worn by Pistorius on his prosthetic leg - were not caused by the cleaning rags.

Mr Dixon said he had watched the cleaners and they did not use enough force to transfer fibres.

Sooo he watched them but didn't try to stop them? I don't suppose that could simply be because by the time the door was put up for demonstration purposes it had already had any necessary forensic testing done on it and he was just trying to stir the pot... btw, I never heard any more about the whole kerfuffle Roux tried to create about the "missing" splinters from the door that were in fact in Dixon's possession.

RSBM

This must be the one you want to see :behindbar:

When you click on Post Quick Reply, Reply or Reply with Quote, then click on Go Advanced. You'll see a group of emoticons on the right of your screen. Underneath the emoticons click on More and you'll see the whole range.

Ah ha !! Ty I'll have to try that when I have more time... I must not have the correct options checked below this "reply screen." The feature I'm missing the most is the ability to "bold" text. Hint... hint...

But no, it's not the OP-behind-bars emoti I'm anxiously hoping to see here... it's the "little man sleeping in bed with Z Z Z Z above his head" that you use to count down how many nights we have to go before a scheduled Court Date!!!

I'm so short of time today, but look forward to spending the usual long hours here tomorrow. I see several interesting links and comments made that I want to answer.

O/T: My whole day has been used up with a leaking waterpipe dripping through the ceiling of driveunder garage... ruining antique desk and making a mess of all the boxes of books, etc. I had stored at end of garage... no access to leaking pipe so repairman had to cut large sections out of the sheetrock to find the leak. Needless to say, I'm beyond pooped but HAD to pop-in here hoping upon hope that date had been scheduled for Appeal Judgment but alas it hasn't... Grrr.

RSBM
Ah ha !! Ty I'll have to try that when I have more time... I must not have the correct options checked below this "reply screen." The feature I'm missing the most is the ability to "bold" text. Hint... hint...

When you want to post anything with bold, italics or underlining, highlight the word/s you want to bold in your text and then click on B which is the 4th icon from the left on the toolbar at the top of the text box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Craftymom74