Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #67 *Appeal Verdict*

Status
Not open for further replies.
[video=youtube;GArREWcB87o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GArREWcB87o[/video]

[BREAKING NEWS] NPA issues warrant of arrest for Pistorius

‘Oscar told me how let down he had felt because I had testified against him,’ said Lerena, South Africa’s cruiserweight champion.
‘I explained that I didn’t have any choice, that I had been subpoenaed to give evidence and that it had been hard for me to do it. But he wouldn’t accept it. He insisted that I could have refused to do it. - Typically Oscar, nothing learned in prison. Me, me, me.

-.-.-.-

'He’s obviously kept up with everyone’s news while he was inside, and it must be painful to know that everyone else is getting on with their lives.'
Aha. Laptop, phone, all with Internet access? Or only visitors?
-.-.-.-

'No-one knows what happened that night Reeva was killed. I asked Oscar outright what had gone on. He told me "God knows what really happened that night". He said he didn’t feel he had to justify his actions to anyone as he and God knew the true story.
Pretty easy to say, "good" idea.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...just-days-convicted-murder.html#ixzz3tMsLF1Nq

I honestly have to admit, I feel sorry for him a little bit, when I'm reading the interview. But he has to learn of his guilt and of prison being punishment for murdering his girlfriend Reeva. Will he ever understand?

"God knows what really happened that night". He said he didn’t feel he had to justify his actions to anyone as he and God knew the true story".

I can't help feeling that this is almost a confession without him possibly realising what he said. It suggests that God and he knew the true story!. So here may be an admission that we did not hear the true story from him.

OT: I sent messages to both Beach and Tricia and asked if they could email or call Zweibel to do a "welfare check". I will let you all know if I hear anything back. Thanks to all of you for caring too.

I've sent a mail too.

It's so sad.

Reeva's last communication with the world were her screams as she desperately tried to alert people to what was happening to her.

Officially, the world has chosen to believe these were the sounds her murderer made as he "quietly, carefully" moved down a passage.

Those screams may not have saved her life (although the Stipps heard and did try for her) but they should have convicted her killer.

Why can't that disgusting pig just confess? We know what he did. He knows we know what he did. And if he gave any sort of damn about Reeva or that God* he keeps bleating on about he would give it up and acknowledge what he did.

(*No disrespect to any Christians reading this....I just don't believe Pistorius is one).

But they will only enforce it on Tue next week at bail hearing.
Sounds like special treatment to me and a good risk of him doing a runner over the weekend.
It's crazy. He's more likely to do a runner now than ever. His friend thinks OP could be suicidal and OP really can't stand the thought of going back to prison. So why wouldn't he just flee while he still has the chance? He doesn't strike me as someone with a conscience and neither does his family.

RSBM.

Agree completely. But Roux played an active part in inducing that error. He managed to confuse some of the witnesses at various stages, and of course Masipa for the entire length of the trial. When the facts were stacked so heavily against his client, that was commendable, I thought. Of course, I never liked him during the trial; but looking back, I can see that it was his job, that is what a defence lawyer is supposed to do. And he did it a damn good job. Specially after OP let him down so badly.

Yes this is true , he hasn't had it easy! Although I still think Masipa should have intervened on a few occasions regardless of what Roux did , with non-expert witnesses giving testimony as experts mainly.

It's so sad.

Reeva's last communication with the world were her screams as she desperately tried to alert people to what was happening to her.

Officially, the world has chosen to believe these were the sounds her murderer made as he "quietly, carefully" moved down a passage.

Those screams may not have saved her life (although the Stipps heard and did try for her) but they should have convicted her killer.

Why can't that disgusting pig just confess?
We know what he did. He knows we know what he did. And if he gave any sort of damn about Reeva or that God* he keeps bleating on about he would give it up and acknowledge what he did.

(*No disrespect to any Christians reading this....I just don't believe Pistorius is one).
BIB - he can't even admit he pulled a trigger on a gun even though he knows it can't discharge itself. He'll never admit to this. Even if there was video footage of him killing Reeva, he'd say it was a lookalike and not him. He's a sleazebag and denier through and through.

Karyn Maughan ‏@karynmaughan 32m32 minutes ago
#OscarPistorius court appearance - still to be confirmed for next week - will involve setting of dates for sentencing. He will be in court

Karyn Maughan ‏@karynmaughan 34m34 minutes ago
NPA spokesman says state typically considers "whether there are any new facts" before deciding whether to oppose bail #OscarPistorius

Karyn Maughan ‏@karynmaughan 35m35 minutes ago
NPA denies any warrant of arrest issued for #OscarPistorius - but unable to detail at this stage how his presence at court will be ensured

Karyn Maughan ‏@karynmaughan 36m36 minutes ago
NPA says tentative court appearance planned next week for #OscarPistorius - yet to be confirmed by Judge President @eNCA

Karyn Maughan ‏@karynmaughan 37m37 minutes ago
NPA spokesman says state has not decided whether to oppose bail for #OscarPistorius @eNCA

"God knows what really happened that night". He said he didn’t feel he had to justify his actions to anyone as he and God knew the true story".

I can't help feeling that this is almost a confession without him possibly realising what he said. It suggests that God and he knew the true story!. So here is an admission that we did not hear the true story from him.

....agree....a sort of half confession .....he was already supposed to of told the world what had happened......

RSBM.

Agree completely. But Roux played an active part in inducing that error. He managed to confuse some of the witnesses at various stages, and of course Masipa for the entire length of the trial. When the facts were stacked so heavily against his client, that was commendable, I thought. Of course, I never liked him during the trial; but looking back, I can see that it was his job, that is what a defence lawyer is supposed to do. And he did it a damn good job. Specially after OP let him down so badly.

He did, but I felt he was dishonest on a number of occasions. I think a lawyer must never be dishonest to gain the upper hand in an attempt to get his client a better verdict.

Rule 3.02’s duty to the court also emphasises that Barristers, “must assist the Court in the administration of justice and must not deceive or knowingly or recklessly mislead the Court”. It contains both positive obligations (to act with independence and assist in the administration of justice) and negative one’s (not to mislead).

https://lawyerwatch.wordpress.com/2...m-of-advocate-extends-beyond-the-man-himself/

Maybe we have to give Masipa a break....I know, I know, bear with me!

Without exception, every single lawyer commenting is saying that not only do all judges make mistakes, it is expected...hence the SCA which is just part of the same process. Every one of those five judges yesterday would have had their own judgements (when they were in the High Court) appealed and overturned too - probably multiple times.

Law is a human endeavour and human beings make mistakes all the time. We need to make mistakes so that we can rectify them and then learn...which is what's happened here. Obviously, given how many legal bods were saying she was correct there has long been some kind of confusion over DE which has now been clarified. More importantly, the requirements of a PPD defence have been laid out with no ambiguity......you may NOT shoot anyone just because they are in your home. In a country with so many guns this message has to be driven home in flashing neon lights.

Anyway, what I'm driving at is that I think there is reason to be optimistic regarding sentencing. Masipa will have to approach it from a new perspective......that Pistorius shot with no genuine belief that his life was in danger. She might not personally agree, but that's not the issue....and I don't think she'll make it the issue.

She will be sentencing a man who shot another human being four times without any justification at all. That's what the SCA found and she'll have to take that as her starting position. She didn't seem to give much truck to the whining social worker who tried to claim that Pistorius shouldn't be jailed because his disability. In fact, she was very scathing of her and wrote off her evidence entirely.

And since most legal people have said that 5 years was the correct(ish) sentence for a man convicted of CH who had an accepted defence of PPD, then can we not hope that this time she'll give the correct(ish) sentence for a convicted murderer who killed without justification?

I'll keep everything crossed.

I hope he doesn't get bail next week. Why should he? Is it normal for convicted murderers to be bailed between verdict and sentencing? It's not like a custodial sentence is in any doubt, no matter what they bring in mitigation. And he's hardly covered himself in glory given behaviour when he was last on bail. Also, he himself has said he can be suicidal - so that's another reason to bring him into custody.

Bloody ridiculous that he gets to spend Christmas bouncing babies on his knee (if there are cameras around).

Nope - the man with the big, white beard (Santa Leach) delivered Pistorius his prezzie yesterday. He needs to go and collect it :)

BBM

Exactly! Why should he? He has already been convicted of murder. IMO, the bail system is designed/based on this concept ---> Innocent until proven guilty. However, if there is a potential of flight..a bail would still be denied. So in OP case..he was already found guilty of murder which could get him a 15-year jail sentence..this would increase the likelihood of a flight + He's well to do financially and his family is pretty powerful..this would also increase the likelihood of a flight = He should not be entitled to bail.

I simply cannot understand why he isn't already back in prison. It makes no sense to me.

I've sent a mail too.

Thank you too. It's so good to know that people are missed and we care enough. Two years ago, a poster on the Side Bar all of a sudden "disappeared" from the thread. It turns out she had had a heart attack and died, right before her surgery. We didn't find out until a month or too later and it was devastating. So now, I don't wait. Hugs.

I simply cannot understand why he isn't already back in prison. It makes no sense to me.

This.

I suppose there are "holes" in how to deal with such cases where a higher Court reverts a verdict and the accused had served the prison term for the original one , as in this case.

RSBM.

BBM

However, Roux was not able to confuse most of us..there is no excuse for Masipa's performance..or miserable performance. It was obvious to me that he intentionally murdered Reeva!

He did, but I felt he was dishonest on a number of occasions. I think a lawyer must never be dishonest to gain the upper hand in an attempt to get his client a better verdict.

Rule 3.02’s duty to the court also emphasises that Barristers, “must assist the Court in the administration of justice and must not deceive or knowingly or recklessly mislead the Court”. It contains both positive obligations (to act with independence and assist in the administration of justice) and negative one’s (not to mislead).

https://lawyerwatch.wordpress.com/2...m-of-advocate-extends-beyond-the-man-himself/

I am sure he was. Indeed, I am very sure he knows what happened that night. As I said, I never liked him one bit. But there is no denying that he did his best to save his client and did a fine job.

Those rules are there, but I doubt they are followed by everyone - if they were, half the court cases in this world would be resolved even before the trials started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthernVintageMama